Aston Martin to Make New Model

• Thread starter Crushed
  • 81 comments
That bare carbon fiber piece at the front is enormous. And looks ugly as sin. Needs paint.

I agree with this. the car would have a more complete feel if the front fascia seemed more substantial and not as cut off.

At R&T, there are some spy shots of a gold coloured one at the 'Ring where they used yellow something (tape?) to cover up the carbon bits.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-cars/spy-photos/2013-aston-martin-vanquish

How does that look?
Maybe painting the bits in body colour will become an option. (At a special price of only 10000 pounds each. :dopey:)

Anyways, about the styling looking similar, I suppose 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' or something like that.
What design direction should Aston Martin move in?

Just something new. There's nothing broken about Aston's styling, it's just getting samey. Jaguar had the same trouble for decades and then bang, brought out the current XF and XJ. Stunning cars, instantly recognisable as Jaguars, but utterly different from the previous oldy-worldy Jags.

I get this impression as well. I think the gap between the spoiler bases and the top or the taillights is just a little to big. It looks a bit unnatural.

It's like a Lotus Evora actually, only without the originality.

aston-martin-vanquish_100393658_l.jpg

lotus_evora_2009_024.jpg

Last edited:
I get this impression as well. I think the gap between the spoiler bases and the top or the taillights is just a little to big. It looks a bit unnatural.

I actually had the same issue with the previous Vanquish, which had too much between taillights and spoiler lip. You notice it particularly on the far side.

Aston_Martin_Vanquish_Rear.jpg

I actually had the same issue with the previous Vanquish, which had too much between taillights and spoiler lip. You notice it particularly on the far side.

Funnily, I was never keen on the original Vanquish, as I thought it a bit too heavy-handed - particularly after the DB9 arrived.

Now though, it looks like a nice, clean, simple design among an increasingly busy and over-styled Aston range.

Funnily, I was never keen on the original Vanquish, as I thought it a bit too heavy-handed - particularly after the DB9 arrived.

Now though, it looks like a nice, clean, simple design among an increasingly busy and over-styled Aston range.

It's still a little awkward in its skin to me. I do agree with you about the rest of the line - the original DB9 is still the prettiest, but then they started adding all sorts of fins and vents and clear tail lights (eugh). I generally have that with cars, the original release is always the nicest (924>944, 308>288GTO, 318>e30M3 etc etc).

I generally have that with cars, the original release is always the nicest (924>944, 308>288GTO, 318>e30M3 etc etc).

Same. There's a reason a design team made their car look like that in the first place and not a bespoilered, wide-arched mess to start with (not that I'm describing the 944/288/M3 as a mess, but I am with the Aston...).

Facelifts are generally the same. I can think of two cars in recent memory that look better facelifted than they did at release. Jag XF is one, Peugeot 107 is the other.

"Aggressive" design has a lot to answer for.

Facelifts are generally the same. I can think of two cars in recent memory that look better facelifted than they did at release. Jag XF is one, Peugeot 107 is the other.

The Jaguar XF should get grace because the initial production version was a very watered down version of its predeceasing C-XF concept, which was to test the waters of a massive shift from the traditional styling that the public was used to seeing from Jaguar. Once this departure was well-received, they were able to re-introduce many styling cues to the diluted XF that were intended to be produced from the C-XF concept (and production XJ).

I figured the biggest (and only, imho,) problem with the pre-facelift XF was the weird headlights. While it looks a bit like a Lexi GS, the proportions help it look so much better.

Was the 1st-gen XK considered a traditional Jag?
I read some articles mentioning it and the authors generally reckoned the styling overall was a fresh start.
The XF sort of looks like a swoopy 4-door XK after all.:confused:

If only the carbon bumper bits on the new Vanquish could be body coloured...

The Jaguar XF should get grace because the initial production version was a very watered down version of its predeceasing C-XF concept, which was to test the waters of a massive shift from the traditional styling that the public was used to seeing from Jaguar. Once this departure was well-received, they were able to re-introduce many styling cues to the diluted XF that were intended to be produced from the C-XF concept (and production XJ).

Yep, very much so. I'd not thought of it so much as testing the water before but I did notice the facelift looked much closer to the concept.

My only real criticism of the XF's styling is that in some colours, the lower-end models (not that there's really a low-end Jag...) can look a bit under-wheeled. Several of the big mags currently have base-spec 2.2D models as long-termers, and they all seem to be in a light metallic blue that does nothing for the smaller wheels.

Was the 1st-gen XK considered a traditional Jag?
I read some articles mentioning it and the authors generally reckoned the styling overall was a fresh start.
The XF sort of looks like a swoopy 4-door XK after all.:confused:

The XK was certainly less retro than the contemporary XJ was, and less even than the S-Type and X-Type were, despite being launched several years before.

The current XK is, to me, still one of the prettiest cars on the roads:

I'd not say the XF looks similar though - the XF and XJ have now gone down a different route, styling-wise.

Thats a lovely sound... I must have that in my life.

Not sold on the styling yet... still prefer the DB9 from '08 in Black.

I wish Aston would go back to having the DB car as a slightly more (dare I say it) feminine design, with the 'V' car as much more of a bruiser....

... I long for a proper successor to this...

500x_g_1998_aston_martin_v8_vantage_v600_02.jpg

I found out that you can configure the Vanquish at AM's website. It looks reasonable in black, but I'm not a huge fan of the outside. the interior, however, is gorgeous! It looks like a Bentley or Rolls-Royce, and offers a refreshing departure from Ferrari's strategy of 'buttons, buttons everywhere.' It looks especially good in black with ivory seats and door inserts, and I rarely like black interiors.

I think Aston must have hired the design department from TVR...

How? Save for a couple of models in the mid 90s, all TVRs had pretty unique designs. They weren't even slightly on a par with Aston's Vanquish/DB9/Vantage/Virage/new Vanquish/new DB9 clones.

Back