Battlefield 3

• Thread starter The Bman
  • 14,126 comments
Could someone please explain the benefits of private servers to an online gaming noob such as myself :dopey:.

Cheers Shaun.

Could someone please explain the benefits of private servers to an online gaming noob such as myself :dopey:.

Cheers Shaun.

You know how when you click on a server, on the right there are things listed like "only spawn on squad leader"/ "kick if inactive"/ etc. I am guessing one would be able to control things like that. It will be interesting if they include ability to exclude things like Frag rounds or armour or things like that.

No idea how they can possibly implement this though, given how dodgy their current infrastructure is.

gundalini

Cheers Shaun.

So say you rent a server and your absolute favorite map is Firestorm. Well you can have your server play Firestorm conquest 24 hours a day if you'd like. Or say you hate Caspian and Metro, well you can leave those out of the rotation if you like. You can have your server alternate game modes as well. You can set a password so only you and your buddies can play as well or clans can have their own private servers for practice and clan battles. Oh and you can ban players who team kill or whatever.

Now those things I'm nearly positive will be in. Normally with a pc private server you can also: restrict which weapons are allowed, remove or add vehicles (they have "flight school" servers on PC where you just learned to fly there), increase or decrease score limits, change number of players allowed (not more than console max though), and so on.

Other games have even more options than that but to the best of my knowledge all I listed is available to tinker with on the PC side of things but there may be more.

Might actually get Az, Crispy, Monkey, Ven and HIM to play this game after all.....

:irked:đź‘Ť

So glad to see that Private Servers are coming into play :D
Hoping that the price of a Console server is similar to a PC server, would anyone be interested in chipping in for a GTP_BF3 Server? It's about ÂŁ11 per month for 16 players, and ÂŁ17 for 24 players, or we could aim for a price between those.
If 10+ people pay for it each month, that's (at most) ÂŁ1.70 per renter. The more people pay, the cheaper it would be đź‘Ť

Might actually get Az, Crispy, Monkey, Ven and HIM to play this game after all.....

The more the merrier! :P

So that's only one map or am I missing something!?

The CQC maps are focused on vertical levels if I'm not mistaken... So basically big buildings with multiple levels... Does look a tad bit COD-ish... But I think in this case it'll be fun since its BF3 and I like Metro as well. :)

Sorry for last night though, I was already in a squad with a couple of Dutch friends when you came online.

Sorry for last night though, I was already in a squad with a couple of Dutch friends when you came online.

No problem , I joined that game, but the server was almost empty :-(. I was tired anyhow, so I went to watch top gear before going to bed.

Where is this "private servers for consoles" coming from, any link!?

Eh?

Finally mastered the choppers today, lugging the Havoc around at Kharg in an impressive turn around, won by 25 tickets despite being about 100-160 down at one point. Fairly happy with the flying now.

Hoping that the price of a Console server is similar to a PC server, would anyone be interested in chipping in for a GTP_BF3 Server? It's about ÂŁ11 per month for 16 players, and ÂŁ17 for 24 players, or we could aim for a price between those.
If 10+ people pay for it each month, that's (at most) ÂŁ1.70 per renter. The more people pay, the cheaper it would be đź‘Ť

I would be interested in this, but I am not sure how practical it would be given the large differences in our geographical locations, so no doubt lag would be a major issue.

Would also be interesting to see if these servers could accomodate more than 24p on consoles.

BLITZ_69
Speaking of tanks, I'm really starting to like the combo of the main gun and canister shell. By the time I can fire the gun, switch and fire the shell, the main gun's already reloaded. So I can keep "fire-switch-fire"ing untill the other tank/infantry is dead. I love it.

I use that combo too its very effective.
I dont even know what unlocks come after the canister shell because as soon as i unlocked it i loved it so much i didnt even care lol

Daniel

I'd pitch in a few USD.
Problem is I don't have a credit card. Do you take cash? :lol:

I am so tired of playing alongside 'randoms'. My team got rolled over in a Rush game on Operation Metro. The defending team has the advantage in that game but not my team. Instead of taking up positions at the choke points and letting the enemy walk into a meat grinder, the majority of my team was off doing who-knows-what somewhere else. I had a hallway locked down with my LMG and ended up getting knifed from behind. How the hell does that happen?

The next game the sides switched and we were attacking. Knowing my team was full of useless tits I decided to mess around and see what I could do with a sniper rifle. I dropped my MAV right into the middle of the enemy so my team would know where they were and then I moved up and started trying to shoot them down. Didn't make a difference.

Why? Why u so terrible, randoms?

On a different note, I've been playing more Conquest lately trying to get the 10 kills in the BTR-90 that I need to complete the last assignment (just need 1 more). Is it just me or is Conquest on Gulf of Oman terribly boring? There's 12 players per team but the possibility of there being 2 armored transports, 2 tanks, 2 helicopters, 2 jets, boats and buggies all on the map at the same time. There's almost no infantry. With 4 areas to capture/defend it seems people just chase each other in circles around the map. At least with Rush you know things culminate in two spot on the map leading to some ferocious fighting.

Eh?

Finally mastered the choppers today, lugging the Havoc around at Kharg in an impressive turn around, won by 25 tickets despite being about 100-160 down at one point. Fairly happy with the flying now.

I'd like to say I've become a decent pilot in jets and choppers, but I get CITV one shotted anytime I start to get any good points going so I still haven't got ECM, I'm close to laser painter now but once again I think I need a boost from someone like yourself piloting me with ECM. I always end up pilot, or gunner with a pilot who has no flares -.-".

Managed to get laser painter, another painful 12,500 points in the things before I can actually comfortably use them without getting one shotted each time I start doing well :lol:.

Last edited:
Speedy Samurai
I am so tired of playing alongside 'randoms'. My team got rolled over in a Rush game on Operation Metro. The defending team has the advantage in that game but not my team. Instead of taking up positions at the choke points and letting the enemy walk into a meat grinder, the majority of my team was off doing who-knows-what somewhere else. I had a hallway locked down with my LMG and ended up getting knifed from behind. How the hell does that happen?

The next game the sides switched and we were attacking. Knowing my team was full of useless tits I decided to mess around and see what I could do with a sniper rifle. I dropped my MAV right into the middle of the enemy so my team would know where they were and then I moved up and started trying to shoot them down. Didn't make a difference.

Why? Why u so terrible, randoms?

On a different note, I've been playing more Conquest lately trying to get the 10 kills in the BTR-90 that I need to complete the last assignment (just need 1 more). Is it just me or is Conquest on Gulf of Oman terribly boring? There's 12 players per team but the possibility of there being 2 armored transports, 2 tanks, 2 helicopters, 2 jets, boats and buggies all on the map at the same time. There's almost no infantry. With 4 areas to capture/defend it seems people just chase each other in circles around the map. At least with Rush you know things culminate in two spot on the map leading to some ferocious fighting.

I've never actually had that problem on Oman to be honest. In fact some of the best games I've had were QC on Oman.

On a different topic, Ill be getting a mic soonish, anyone want to team up when I do? Add hywelkidd on PSN.

I'd like to say I've become a decent pilot in jets and choppers, but I get CITV one shotted anytime I start to get any good points going so I still haven't got ECM, I'm close to laser painter now but once again I think I need a boost from someone like yourself piloting me with ECM. I always end up pilot, or gunner with a pilot who has no flares -.-".

Managed to get laser painter, another painful 12,500 points in the things before I can actually comfortably use them without getting one shotted each time I start doing well :lol:.

Thing is, ECM works well against CITV and ground targets, but I find you are so much more vulnerable to air attacks without flares. I'm definitely finding people are getting better against choppers of late. Good work with the Jets, I've got barely half the points you have with them.

I think in an ideal scenario you want:

Pilot
Laser Painter
ECM
Guided Missile

Gunner
Maintenance
Flares
Guided Missile.

If you're mic'd up we can shout at each other when to use ECM/Flares, both running as engineers so you can repair it if need be. As said though, anti-chopper warfare is much better than it was a month back. Don't know if that's related to unlocks or people just wanting to take them down.

CQ at Damavand earlier, I'm with the M98 in the tunnel and their Little Bird starts taking C (one near the Z11 base, Russian?). Not only do I headshot him, but the chopper doesn't explode when it falls. Stolen!

I think in an ideal scenario you want:

Pilot
Laser Painter
ECM
Guided Missile

Gunner
Maintenance
Flares
Guided Missile.

I think you mean guided rocket for the pilot. Also Im fairly certain that a TV Missile is OHK on tanks most of the time. If not its for the pilot to finish them off. Even at long range. I would probably rather have extinguisher to defend against CITV, as you can usually instantly come back from being disabled and then land and repair or scarper and hide for a little bit until the tank forgets about you. ECM I think is to inconsistant, although it was being used effectively against me today. The key is to deploy and then fly backwards through it, then its almost impossible to get a CITV lock. If possible, leave the area too, the Chaffs clear pretty quick.

I've not tried the guided rockets yet, they're semi-guided, right? They good?

Extinguisher is a good idea, not tried TV Missile either, VEXD was moaning about them being quite sluggish and difficult to control. I'll have to play about with them

Ground targets only really.....
I see a lot of people killing Helis with them, but I don't ever find one that just sits there in mid air without moving left/right/up/down like others seem to.......:
See yoo tooob.

I like your idea of setup though, chef.
Maybe I can put ECM back on, but I did hate it, as I didn't have anyone with sense/flares in the gunners seat when I first unlocked it.....

I like flying Helis more than anything else in this game.

But I still crash a lot.

Last edited:
Sureboss
CQ at Damavand earlier, I'm with the M98 in the tunnel and their Little Bird starts taking C (one near the Z11 base, Russian?). Not only do I headshot him, but the chopper doesn't explode when it falls. Stolen!

Buddy of mine did same thing the other night but 2 minutes later the same happened to him by the pilot he shot out. Stolen......repossesed.

Back