Battlefield 3

• Thread starter The Bman
  • 14,126 comments
When me and my friend run the heli's we use this setup.
Pilot:
Air radar
ECM Jammer
Heat Seekers

Gunner:
Stealth
IR Flares
TV/Guided missile

The setup works a dream if the pilot and gunner are communicating, and 9/10 times we take out the other heli, without getting damaged. As the pilot I tend to not capture objectives except at the start of the game on certain maps. For example Operation Firestorm and Karg Island

I always run flares on gunner, currently using guided missiles in the hopes the pilot has laser painter. So I'm pretty much prepared for being your gunner Sureshot whereas last time I just had the gun and zoom optics like a true noob :lol:. My actual skills as pilot I feel are fairly decent, I usually survive everything up until CITV and the odd decent jet pilot. Might try extinguisher if I'm with someone who has flares on the gunner, but that's unlikely.

On that note, Air Radar is just the business on jets, it's useful as well on helicopters but top trumped by laser painter. If you're not using air radar on jets, you're doing it wrong (or haven't unlocked it).

Got this game not too much long ago, and I can't believe I didn't get it sooner! Any noob tips for the multiplayer?

How does the air radar work, Drag?

Doesn't it show up enemies on the mini map which I don't have time to look at or I hit the ground.......

Is that right?

:irked:👍

Daniel
Revive when you can, repair when you can, reapply when you can :P

He means resupply I think, not reapply. ;)

Just stick with the multiplayer. It's going to suck at first, but once you unlock stuff, it'll get better.

And I STILL don't have any BF3 buddies on PSN. :lol:
Add gogatrs.
I'll be on around 10:30 EST for a couple hours.

gogatrs
He means resupply I think, not reapply. ;)

And I STILL don't have any BF3 buddies on PSN. :lol:
Add gogatrs.
I'll be on around 10:30 EST for a couple hours.

Were not buddies? :(

And blame iPhone autocorrect for the resupply/reapply thing :P

How does the air radar work, Drag?

Doesn't it show up enemies on the mini map which I don't have time to look at or I hit the ground.......

Is that right?

:irked:👍

Nail on the head :lol:, but knowing where the jet who's chasing you is and knowing when you've worked your way to his rear is priceless. It's just generally useful for finding targets, as I use rocket pods it means tanks don't have to be spotted for me to get them and I can have my back watched whilst I go in for a run on any target. I can't believe I haven't always used it.

@Recon ^What Daniel said.

It sucks starting out. You face (mostly) skilled opponents who have knowledge of the game and know hhow to use their resources. Also, you start out with almost nothing as far as equipment, except for a rifle and a pistol really. Instead of setting up and going on your way, there are 4 "roles" that you can pick from:

-Assault: Bread and butter of the team. Their job is to get out front and kill the enemy infantry using assault rifles. They also keep buddies in the fight using Med Packs to heal wounded and have defibrillators (first unlock) to revive dead teammates. On that note, NEVER revive an ally unless you are sure there's no enemies around. You can swap out the Med Packs with grenade launchers and an under-barrel shotgun. I recommend starting out with this class.

-Engineer: In a nutshell, they blow 🤬 up. You're given a carbine AR which is more suited to short/medium range combat compared to Assault rifles. You're also given an RPG-7/SMAW in the gadget slot depending on the faction. Use the rockets to take down land vehicles (tanks, IFV's, etc.) You also unlock a blowtorch that repairs friendly vehicles and can sabatoge enemy vehicles (and kill enemies, if you feel lucky). Later unlocks include Anti-Air launchers for engaging choppers and jets, Anti-Tank mines and an EOD bot (which, for me anyways, is useless.) .

-Support: The support has two jobs: 1) Keep buddies supplied with ammo and 2) keep enemies pinned down with Light Machine Guns. When you're getting shot at, the air gets blurry and you have a harder time shooting. This is suppression. The LMG's with their larger magazines and significant fire rates excel in this area. When using a belt-fed machine gun like the M249, you have the ability to lock down a good sized area from you opponents. Also, if you see any allies, you can go and drop an ammo box down to resupply them, as well as yourself if you're running low. If you're felling particularly adventurous, a later unlock includes C4 packs, which you can use to take out enemy vehicles by running up near them.

-Recon (referring to the class): While not a glamorous role, the Recon is given a Designated Marksman's rifle capable of engaging infantry at long range. With that said, you're not just a sniper. Your job is to provide reconnaissance by spotting enemy threats using the rifle's scope, as well as radar and a flying UAV which you unlock later on. You also get a neat little radio beacon in your gadgets that when put down allows squad-mates to re-spawn in a more strategic area. (Note: if you're using this or assault and you come across an enemy tank, RUN AWAY!)

In a nutshell: Play your role to the best of your ability, use any resources around you, and focus on the objective, whether that be capturing a flag, arming an M-COM station, or getting as many kills as possible. Spam the select button to spot like there's no tomorrow. This game is centered more on teamwork then anything.

-Support: The support has two jobs: 1) Keep buddies supplied with ammo and 2) keep enemies pinned down with Light Machine Guns. When you're getting shot at, the air gets blurry and you have a harder time shooting. This is suppression. The LMG's with their larger magazines and significant fire rates excel in this area. When using a belt-fed machine gun like the M249, you have the ability to lock down a good sized area from you opponents. Also, if you see any allies, you can go and drop an ammo box down to resupply them, as well as yourself if you're running low. If you're felling particularly adventurous, a later unlock includes C4 packs, which you can use to take out enemy vehicles by running up near them.

:tup:I'd like to add to this write up with:
Support can also help keep enemy advances at bay with the unlocked claymores, to protect pathways and such. Also with smoke and explosive mortars. Unlocked smoke mortars to paint a certain area in the battlefield with smoke to cloud vision and explosive mortars to help take out or disrupt enemies perched in certain areas and disorientate as well with the help of recon work. 👍

Gogatyrs ill be on around 11 est tonight. My PS is not with me at the moment. Send me a request.
Caswellhouse

Caz
Sorry I had to bail. Something came up at work.

Started winning a bit after you left.
Probably because I got swapped to the other team. :lol:
But squaded up with a couple of other guys. They weren't too bad. got top squad all matches we were together for.

Should I be getting points if I SOFLAM for someone and they shoot it down with the Javelwin?

You should get points yeah. I had a bad round that round. First round of rush in months. Felt a little lost.
I made it back into your last round, you killed me then I made it to the last mcom and blew it up with under ten tickets left for the win ;)

You had a good round on damavand. What you get 10or 12kills while I had there helicopter. They had three or four engis after us up there.

Last edited:
:tup:I'd like to add to this write up with:
Support can also help keep enemy advances at bay with the unlocked claymores, to protect pathways and such. Also with smoke and explosive mortars. Unlocked smoke mortars to paint a certain area in the battlefield with smoke to cloud vision and explosive mortars to help take out or disrupt enemies perched in certain areas and disorientate as well with the help of recon work. 👍

Everyone's missed the best bit of support, car bombs :lol:. Sometimes a genuinely useful tactic, mostly just 'for the lulz'.

Step 1: strap a tonne of C4 to a car and keep your detonator equipped as you get in.
Step 2: Find a tank, preferably without it seeing you.
Step 3: Drive at tank(!).
Step 4: Ghost ride dat whip (dive out) straight at the tank.
Step 5: Detonate C4 as car hits tank.
Step 6: If everything went right you just destroyed a tank you just netted some healthy points and probably feel like a badass, if it went wrong you probably got blown up in a C4 loaded car :lol:.

Advanced: Repeat steps but swap car for jet/transport helicopter (attack chopper is to much of a waste).
Confusion bombs: Strap 5 C4 to the front, 1 on the rear (or AT mines) and equip frag rounds on a shotgun. Step 5 is now shoot the back of the car with your shotgun (make sure it's equipped on entering). This results in a tank destroy showing up as kills with the shotgun, enemy will likely accuse of hacks.
Explode on impact bombs (needs testing): Repeat with AT mines? Drive straight in to tank, not sure if this will require the driver fully ramming the tank though or if you can ghost ride into it, C4 is generally the way though as it gives support a great anti-tank option.

Guided car bomb: Have a friend do the driving and tell you when to detonate, or vice versa, your friends vehicle will survive if only the C4 detonates and it's you who detonates but it's important that the detonator can hear exactly when told to blow the C4 or see it.

Repeat with AT mines? Drive straight in to tank, not sure if this will require the driver fully ramming the tank though

Did a jihad jeep on Kharg once, dropping a few AT mines on it and then racing from A to C along the highway along the left. I encountered a tank coming the opposite way, but he killed me with a shell that somehow missed the car and I got a vehicle disable.

Patchy play today. Getting real tired of having nothing but 3 bar ping servers/ lag when firing as infantry.

Played GB three times and three times had some goon spamming the mortar from the safety of deploy :rolleyes:. I also test drove all the LMG at a round at Metro where we pushed the other team back to A. I just cannot find a comfortable-feeling belt fed LMG.

Did a jihad jeep on Kharg once, dropping a few AT mines on it and then racing from A to C along the highway along the left. I encountered a tank coming the opposite way, but he killed me with a shell that somehow missed the car and I got a vehicle disable.

Patchy play today. Getting real tired of having nothing but 3 bar ping servers/ lag when firing as infantry.

Played GB three times and three times had some goon spamming the mortar from the safety of deploy :rolleyes:. I also test drove all the LMG at a round at Metro where we pushed the other team back to A. I just cannot find a comfortable-feeling belt fed LMG.

Are you are using the bipod, you probably already know but without the the bipod the LMG's are quite useless unless used in extreme cqc. I have recently got into the PKP Pecheneg. if i remember correctly it's the fastest killing automatic weapon in the game when shot at the body, as it has the bigger russian rounds. I tried the M60 and my god that thing is huge. no wonder they hung them off the side of Huey's in Nam' :)

Last edited:
Yep and some of them need the foregrip too. They are harder to control, but the bipod is essential and turns most of them in to very effective suppressors. For hipfiring they are useful, you just need to get used to pulling that stick down to counter the vertical climb!

Used the M320 Buck for a bit last night in some Squad Rush (more enjoyable than I thought), very effective. Only need one more ribbon now to complete the set, the MCOM defender ribbon. Er, any hints? Camp it out with a shotty?

Oh I forgot to mention it's compulsory to be shouting "DERKA DERKA!" each time you charge at someone.

Unrelated, is there any demand for a guide to BF3 on GTP? I have nothing to do today and I feel I'm pretty qualified to do most of it and compile the rest from your own suggestions quoted into the posts (standalone thread).

Is here anyone who plays Squad Rush, likes tactics and lives in Europe?

[Edit]: Anyone?

Last edited:
Oh I forgot to mention it's compulsory to be shouting "DERKA DERKA!" each time you charge at someone.

Unrelated, is there any demand for a guide to BF3 on GTP? I have nothing to do today and I feel I'm pretty qualified to do most of it and compile the rest from your own suggestions quoted into the posts (standalone thread).

I'll be happy to sticky it if you put a comprehensive-ish one together 👍

ryanaldoblanco
I tried the M60 and my god that thing is huge. no wonder they hung them off the side of Huey's in Nam'
Yea the M60 is a log of a weapon :lol:.

Sureboss
For hipfiring they are useful, you just need to get used to pulling that stick down to counter the vertical climb!
The patch is adding even more initial recoil :scared:

Dragonistic
Noted, I'll see if there's any more positive response I may begin work on it. I'll try to avoid the stats stuff and just talk practically.

If you need a hand I'd be happy to help.

Just got back into the game since I've now completed most of Arkham City. Now my time is going to be split between this and Skyrim. Had some rough goings when I first fired it up but it's coming back slowly.

I just got my main battle tank mastery dogtag last night, went on a bit of a roll at Karg Island and Caspian for a couple games. 4 helicopters picked out of the air in those two conquest games :) I like when pilots fly straight at me low... A little higher and I can't hit them.

As for jets I can't believe how good some pilots are now. I was shot down out of the air by the same guy twice in one match.... He shot me with rocket pods! I though ok fluke when he did it the first time but he did it again!

Back