Dark souls

Version 1.07 is up. Does anyone know about the changes?
From what I've heard, it mainly just fixes a few graphical issues with the DLC.

Anyways, been playing non-stop, basically. Leveled to level 87 or something :lol: Started collecting the Lord Souls just recently, but I found my way into the DLC content now and am contemplating to complete that prior to continuing with the main game.

Oh man, don't blame the game too much. But yeah, I must agree with you. The DLC shouldn't be accessed like this.

Its too conditional, for some its no big deal. But where my game currently is on NG+ made it difficult to even access. My $15 is gone. Super Ornstien is very difficult even with lighting resist gear and the summon who dies before killing Smough... Have to beat him to open the area to get the item to unlock the new DLC area, have to beat him to get the lord vessel and fast travel, its annoying. Beating him on NG++ would be nuts to get his soul too.

Its just my opinion but they could have made it simpler to access the new content after dropping $$$ on it..

I understand your point, LaBounti. I also wanted an easier way to get to the DLC content, which I haven't bought yet. And, by the way, what's your level?

Just checked it. Something tells me that the game will not have the same graphics of this trailer, but it's my favourite announcement for 2013 until now. Yeah!! Souls Series forever!!

Yeah, just caught the anouncement trailer myself. It looked awesome, but the CGI isn't going to be in any ways representative of the final game. Unless they go with a full-fledged PC version that isn't a console port and allow players to crank it up to hell and back again. I doubt it, though.

Needless to say, I'm quite excited. I love DS and getting DS2 sure sounds like a great proposition. Would be a great way for the current generation of consoles to go out in sty. If it's not one of the release titles for the next gen consoles, that is - which would give me an excuse to get one early, though :lol:

Kinda suprised it's actually called "Dark Souls II" and not soething else, like "Devil's Souls" or whatever.

I was shocked when Jessica Alba came on to announce Dark Souls II. The way she described it before they showed the trailer I knew it was DS II and my wife (she loves to watch DS) and I just sat there stunned as we watched the trailer. Going to be epic!

I understand your point, LaBounti. I also wanted an easier way to get to the DLC content, which I haven't bought yet. And, by the way, what's your level?

You guys want something easy in Dark Souls, for shame! I like that the game doesn't even tell you how to get to it, it's exactly like anything else in the game in that you could miss it if you don't look hard enough.

I'm also extremely excited for Dark Souls 2, they may as well take my money now.

You guys want something easy in Dark Souls, for shame! I like that the game doesn't even tell you how to get to it, it's exactly like anything else in the game in that you could miss it if you don't look hard enough.

I'm also extremely excited for Dark Souls 2, they may as well take my money now.

I'm on NG+, did not want to start over just see where my $15 went... Its harder, the Silver knights are faster and harder to back stab. Super Ornstien can take you out with one clean lighting shot even with Lt resist. I wouldn't care if I were on NG but its definitely harder on NG+. dont want easy, just that "My" game is on NG+. there could have been a better way to access it.

I didn't mean that I want the game to be easier. Actually, I like it hard. Don't treat me and the other guy like noobs, my friend. We were just talking about the way that from software chose to introduce the DLC. Enough of people saying "Oh, hardcore, hardcore!!". Something you should use for your entire life: don't talk too much. What are you, a poser? Think twice before constructing a comment.

I didn't mean that I want the game to be easier. Actually, I like it hard. Don't treat me and the other guy like noobs, my friend. We were just talking about the way that from software chose to introduce the DLC. Enough of people saying "Oh, hardcore, hardcore!!". Something you should use for your entire life: don't talk too much. What are you, a poser? Think twice before constructing a comment.

I know he was taken a shots but didn't mean anything by it. I for one don't want the game easier. I'm making it harder on myself by trying to kill Ornstein last so I dont have to do it on NG++. Still, its not the challenge its the conditions I don't like for paid DLC.. If it were free I would not care too much to post about it.

I'm on NG+, did not want to start over just see where my $15 went... Its harder, the Silver knights are faster and harder to back stab. Super Ornstien can take you out with one clean lighting shot even with Lt resist. I wouldn't care if I were on NG but its definitely harder on NG+. dont want easy, just that "My" game is on NG+. there could have been a better way to access it.

Maybe, but I've been through NG+ and tbh it was a total breeze compared to first time. Quick tip summons increase boss health, so be wise with that (don't summon any summon which just dies anyway really, unless they help you alot in the process). If you're dying easily you may as well opt for a light loadout too for fast rolling.

I'm very busy and only get a few tries a day. I only use the summon to keep Ornstein off of me whiling killing Smough. But I will try without the summon.

[Edit] Did it without summon, thanks for the tip!

Last edited:
I'm very busy and only get a few tries a day. I only use the summon to keep Ornstein off of me whiling killing Smough. But I will try without the summon.

Real player summons will help you much much more then Solaire on NG+, also Super Orns can actually be cheesed quite easily if you don't fancy doing it normally I'll explain if you want. Similarly I find Super Smough is the far easier of the 2 for normal melee, Orns always catchs me with the one where he takes you up on his spear in an animation and the dodge is inconsistent.

What's your characters SL? I'll try to help if possible if your in range of one of mine.

Miyazaki insists Dark Souls II will “stay true to what fans expect”

Edge
With Miyazaki taking a step back, and Tomohiro Shibuya and Yui Tanimura – who both worked on Namco Bandai’s Japan-only mech series Another Century – now in the driving seat, many players have expressed fears that the characteristically singular vision of the Souls series may be lost as its publisher looks to widen the game’s audience. Not so, according to Miyazaki.

“I’m not one to restrict the potential that Dark Souls has by insisting that only I can work on the titles,” he tells us. “I want new expressions. It’s true that I’m sad about not being involved in the development of Dark Souls II, because I’ve worked on Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls’ development for the past five years. I*really love those two titles; however, maybe this is the time to have new inspiration, so I’m fine about that.

“I’m looking forward to playing Dark Souls II not as part of the development team, but with a little bit of distance. Everybody knows what the core of Dark Souls is – the dev team does, the fans do, the media does – and that will never change. I [wouldn’t] really care for Dark Souls VIII to come out. That’s not the point. It’s more, ‘What do the fans want?’ We want to stay true to what they expect.”

And that core remains in Miyazaki’s charge, Namco Bandai stressing to us that he put in place the “foundation and framework” of Dark Souls II, while Tanimura and Shibuya’s task will be to “put up the walls and decorations, and build up the rest of the house that he has created”. And introducing a fresh pair of eyes – two pairs, in this case – to work on broadening Dark Souls’ appeal doesn’t necessarily mean dumbing down what makes the series special in the first place.

“In terms of the characteristic of Dark Souls, it’s very clear what we did wrong and what we did right, thanks to the reviews from the media, the feedback from the fans,” Miyazaki adds. “Fortunately everything’s not all over the place – all the feedback is headed in the general right direction.”

I've got about 33hrs logged in Dark Souls, my SL is 45. Another fantastic gem of a game. So far, to me, it feels a little bit easier than Demons Souls, but perhaps that'll change the further I progress.

I won't treat Dark Souls II like I did the first soul games, I'm going to jump right in upon release.

So far I've defeated the Asylum Demon, Pinwheel, Taurus Demon, Belfry Gargoyles, The Hydra (freed Dusk by defeating the gold crystal monster) & Capra Demon. I'm not sure where to go next. The catacombs was the last area I visited (those 7 or 8 bonewheel skeletons are a real nuisance hahaha!), so I might re-enter the Tomb Of Giants, but we'll see. I'm preparing myself to die again haha.

Sidenote: I died 4 times on the Hydra battle, all of them my fault though haha:

1st death - Got the Hydra down to one head & fell into the surrounding pit that i couldn't see trying to melee the last head.

2nd death - Trying to regain my lost souls from falling into the pit, a Hydra head either ate me or pushed me into the pit.....souls lost.

3rd & 4th deaths - I couldn't even get close to the Hydra as it killed me both times with multiple hits from it's water blast. I ran diagonally to it just like I did the passed two times, but these times it just had it in for me I guess.

Have you been to Sen's Fortress? Or New Londo Ruins? Have you been to the Depths? All those should be open with your progress.

You will need a light spell or find the helmet with the light on it, but its a brutal path to get it just to use in Tomb of giants.

Those are the easy parts of the game that you've past lol..... there is an area where the normal enemies are Capra Demon's.

The Hydra is super annoying, though... And the best part is, there's another one!

The Tomb of Giants is one of the most terrifying areas in the entire game, in my opinion. Even with a light spell! It still haunts me in my deams. Not really, but it's close.

Have you been to Sen's Fortress? Or New Londo Ruins? Have you been to the Depths? All those should be open with your progress.

You will need a light spell or find the helmet with the light on it, but its a brutal path to get it just to use in Tomb of giants.

Those are the easy parts of the game that you've past lol..... there is an area where the normal enemies are Capra Demon's.

I've been to the Depths, but seeing how it reminds me a little bit of the Valley Of Defilement with the poisonous rats, waterworks & poison, I figured I'd hold off on it. The Tomb of Giants here I come, we'll see how far I can get without use of lights.

The Hydra is super annoying, though... And the best part is, there's another one!

The Tomb of Giants is one of the most terrifying areas in the entire game, in my opinion. Even with a light spell! It still haunts me in my deams. Not really, but it's close.
Another one......perfect, bothersome indeed, hopefully the 2nd encounter isn't surrounded by a pit.

There is something much worse after the depths but you forgot the curses there too... But what about Sen's fortress? After that you get to the area where you can unlock warping. The depths was the first time I actually missed day light.... 33hours in and your not even halve way :)

By the sounds of Ddrizles play he must go through The Depths or find another route to the location after that. The 'Normal' first playthrough is to progress through the depths and the area after as the next port of call. There's very little point going elsewhere at this point.

I'm now at 42hrs.....not even halfway......that's a good thing, this game is fantastic! 👍

Sidenote: Something odd strikes me about Petrus, his explanation & tone of his voice of him getting seperated from Rhea & her guardians seems off to me, for some reason I felt like killing him haha, but I'll see what develops as I continue.

Last edited:
Due to farming and other things I finished the first play through at about 120 hours. That was without guides or walk throughs. I did need help with a couple bosses. Seth, Discharge and maybe one other.

Took me about 80 hours or so for my first play through. Lots of farming involved, though, until I got my Uchigatana +15 and Crystal Magic Weapon :lol:

Luminis
Took me about 80 hours or so for my first play through. Lots of farming involved, though, until I got my Uchigatana +15 and Crystal Magic Weapon :lol:

I spent a similar amount also, with an Iaito though and no real buffs as I had no clue what I was doing levelling up but ended up with an ok quality build. Then again at that point the game was brand new so nobody had a clue.

This game really haunts me. I haven't played it in a month, I'm stuck at the archers at Anor Londo. I used the internet to find the solution, but I don't want to get sucked into the game again.

I have tons of work to do and getting in the zone of this game is not a good idea right now. But still, I feel I need to play the game. This erie dark fibe is calling me....

So far Sen's fortress and blight town gave me the most sense of accomplishment, Anor Londo will probably take that spot, once I clear it.

Back