Diablo 3, coming May 15th. I'm torn, Kaz, will you rescue me?

• Thread starter Lambob
  • 278 comments
What are you running now? Diablo 3 runs on a toaster.

Running an early 2010 MacBook Pro 13, it meets the minimum system requirements but I'm not to sure as to how it'll run.

Last edited:
You should be able to download a starter/trial.

Apparently it runs on the new Mac Book Airs.

My wizard is level 41 now, about half way through Act II in Nightmare difficulty. Just like Diablo II, this is one of my favorite games now. I'm a Blizzard fanboy though, so it feels like the game was custom made just for me. I've been playing the Diablo series since the first game came out.

Dragonistic, is pretty spot on with his opinions. Diablo III is an evolution of the Action RPG genre, and Diablo II itself. It takes everything that was really repetitive, and poorly designed about D2, and changes it into something that is more modern, and streamlined. D3's character development has a lot more depth, and complexities to it this time, while also being easier to understand, and less frustrating. There's no more creating a character, only to find out that your build is not going to work, forcing you to start all over again with a new character.

The only thing I want to throw a shoe at, is the Battle.net service itself. It stinks, and gives me heartburn. :X

Hey guys, does anyone have a guest pass they could send my way?

I have already paid and ordered my copy, but being from a third world country (OMG I know rite?) my copy will only get here until Saturday! Not even Friday which is ridiculous. A buddy of mine got the digital download and he's already playing. I usually buy digital copies of games, with the exception of games that are really important to me, like Skyrim or any Blizzard games. :(

I've played all Diablos before, very extensively, so... Would be greatly appreciated. The ones they're selling on eBay are just too expensive for me.

Somebody talk me down....

So far this game sucks. What happened to the skill tree? My character is no longer customized at ALL!?! I can just change skill allocations whenever I want, but I can't change them during combat? I'm really stuck just mashing either the left or right mouse button the entire game? WTH is this?

I used to customize my character, I used to customize my interface so that I could juggle as many skills as I could handle juggling. Mashing the mouse buttons is not NEARLY as rewarding.

So far the game is boring. Someone explain to me the error of my ways.

Last edited:
Somebody talk me down....

So far this game sucks. What happened to the skill tree? My character is no longer customized at ALL!?! I can just change skill allocations whenever I want, but I can't change them during combat? I'm really stuck just mashing either the left or right mouse button the entire game? WTH is this?

I used to customize my character, I used to customize my interface so that I could juggle as many skills as I could handle juggling. Mashing the mouse buttons is not NEARLY as rewarding.

Elective mode and advanced tool tips. With elective mode, you aren't locked into the putting the skills together how Blizzard has suggested overall. You are still limited to 6 skills at once, though that is typical how most characters worked overall in Diablo II - 5 or 6 skills that would get points invested in them.

Bought it digitally and played a few hours with my friends.

So far it's been fun, but there's one thing holding me back from saying it's mega-fun: The game runs horribly.

Maybe it's because I've digitally bought it and some files were missed during installing, but the game randomly just stops at 2-3 FPS for a while before it restores. Whether it's simply running through New Tristram or engaging battles. I know it is NOT my laptop, because Dirt 3, Crysis, RCT3, BF2: Bad Company, WoW, LoL are all runned on this laptop without these kind of issues. Although my game loading times within LoL have become awful...

Elective mode and advanced tool tips. With elective mode, you aren't locked into the putting the skills together how Blizzard has suggested overall. You are still limited to 6 skills at once, though that is typical how most characters worked overall in Diablo II - 5 or 6 skills that would get points invested in them.

I have no idea what you just said but I'll look into it.

Bought it digitally and played a few hours with my friends.

So far it's been fun, but there's one thing holding me back from saying it's mega-fun: The game runs horribly.

Maybe it's because I've digitally bought it and some files were missed during installing, but the game randomly just stops at 2-3 FPS for a while before it restores. Whether it's simply running through New Tristram or engaging battles. I know it is NOT my laptop, because Dirt 3, Crysis, RCT3, BF2: Bad Company, WoW, LoL are all runned on this laptop without these kind of issues. Although my game loading times within LoL have become awful...

I also downloaded mine digitally. It runs flawlessly.

I have no idea what you just said but I'll look into it.

They are both options in Gameplay. They add a bit more information and control back to the game, which my group was complaining about as well. Mostly the part where it wasn't telling you how skills modified damage, speed, etc. which advanced tool tips enables.

How many can be in a group for online coop play? How does the loot share work, is it free for all? Is all loot common, or character class specific for each character when group play is active?

Just some thoughts... I have a few months of SWTOR prepay left and certainly can't do both with time constraints, but just curious.

How many can be in a group for online coop play? How does the loot share work, is it free for all? Is all loot common, or character class specific for each character when group play is active?

4 people in a game for group play, max.

Loot drops for each player uniquely, so there is no fighting for loot. It isn't class specific or anything, so a lot of just finding items then dropping them again for your buddy, etc. It really hasn't been an issue at all, but I've only been playing with friends - I'm sure with strangers you'd find a lot more hoarding going on.

Just bought it tonight from a guy I work with. 60 bucks flat, save the sales tax 👍

EDIT: Yeah or not. I need to upgrade to OS X Snow Leopard first. Damnit.

Last edited:
Few small things that bug me.

No confine mouse cursor for Windowed Mode (Not a big deal but should be there)
No In-Game selection of Audio Output Device (Is in SC2, and is made worse here as when you change it in Windows you have to restart the game for it to take effect)
No secondary weapons hotswap (In D2, would be really nice for D3)
Having to pay gold to increase the stash size (Stupid)
Can't add friends in-game via FB (Again, in SC2)
The public game thing is a bit wierd, and no chat lobbies (That I can see).
No In-Game Voice Chat functionality (Again, in SC2, a game that needs it a lot less)

4 people in a game for group play, max.

Loot drops for each player uniquely, so there is no fighting for loot. It isn't class specific or anything, so a lot of just finding items then dropping them again for your buddy, etc. It really hasn't been an issue at all, but I've only been playing with friends - I'm sure with strangers you'd find a lot more hoarding going on.

Do you find you guys are in your menu's ALOT? I remember making rules back in the day, "no inventory searching until after the mission". Every time someone would pickup something new they would stop and look, check it out, etc. Are there any mechanics in the game that show what was picked up without having to menu into your inventory?

I have a question. I'm playing as a wizard and one of the weapons I'm using are actually used. The only thing I can use now are spells, which is fine, but why is there no way for me to use my bows, swords or other weapons? Do the weapons I have in my hands just effect the power of my spells or what?

You can if you run out of mana with your left/right mouse button spell.

Do the weapons I have in my hands effect the attributes of my spells, or are they spells strengths based on my characters attributes?

Do the weapons I have in my hands effect the attributes of my spells, or are they spells strengths based on my characters attributes?
Both. A Wizard's spells are affected by the amount of intelligence you have, the weapon damage and attack speed of your weapon.

I have 4 guest pass codes left - so if anyone wants to check it out (until level 13 / act 1 - beta content), let me know.

It's amazing that people register on GTP just to get a Diablo 3 guest pass code. That'll generate some visits at least. Sent out what I had, check your PMs to see if you've been lucky.

Back