Do you believe in God?

• Thread starter Patrik
  • 24,085 comments

Do you believe in god?

• Of course, without him nothing would exist!

Votes: 616 30.5%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 368 18.2%
  • No way!

Votes: 1,035 51.3%

• Total voters
Look, Scaff, if you don't believe in The Bible, why do you care?
Because from an anthropological point of view I find it amazing that people would excuse violence based on teachings from the bronze age, and because these teachings are being used to this day to justify persecution, repression and control over a vast number of people.

Even more dangerous is that many of them claim to be moral while doing so!

Oh and I do notice that you didn't answer the question.

Because from an anthropological point of view I find it amazing that people would excuse violence based on the teachings from the bronze age, and because these teachings are being used to this day to justify persecution, repression and control over a vast number of people.

Even more dangerous is that many of them claim to be moral while doing so!
But if your heart turns away and you are not obedient, and if you are drawn away to bow down to other gods and worship them

- You, sir, and many others have chosen to bow down to "Science," which is a human development. Humans are dumb, lets face it.

If you personally don't WANT to believe, then that's your choice. I'm done here, and I think @Charlie A is too.
Bye.

- You, sir, and many others have chosen to bow down to "Science," which is a human development. Humans are dumb, lets face it.
I don't 'bow down' to anything, I am not the one accepting anything without question. That would be yourself it would seem (worryingly genocide).

And if you don't like bowing down to the products of dumb humans why are you on the internet? A product of dumb science based humans.

If you personally don't WANT to believe, then that's your choice. I'm done here, and I think @Charlie A is too.
Bye.
So I don't get an answer to the question then?

You do not "bow down" to science. You verify it. Science is what it is because it can be tested. People don't believe in it, sacrifice to it, or go through rituals to invoke it. It's there regardless and anyone has access to it by default. No matter how dumb humans are, they can turn to science to maximize their chances of knowing the truth.

Ironically what you said there applies very well to religion. There's no God(s) anywhere to back up 99% of religious claims which would mean they're likely man made, and from a time when people weren't all that well educated to boot.

Bye.
No one should want to believe anything. It's dangerous, it's illogical. I can believe that I'll live a long life if I swallow a hand grenade with the pin pulled. It wouldn't make me any less of a puddle after the fact.

What ever happened to a yes or no question? It's just people's beliefs. Stop questioning them and go on with your day.
Because that makes for a productive discussion thread, after all its not as if religion is a topic without room for discussion.

Oh, don't tell members when they can and can't comment.

With all respect, i don't attack or whatever, but you just explained this discussion.

I rephrase your quote with your words in a special way.:
Humans are dumb, lets face it. Many others have chosen to bow down to *******.
Replace the word "science" with "religion" and you know how this discussion will end.(never)

edit: Just see that @Exorcet made the same point..

Look, Scaff, if you don't believe in The Bible, why do you care?

Because people who can justify any murder as long as it's in the name of God are 🤬 scary.

Why do you think half the world is terrified of Muslim extremists at the moment? Because they have absolutely no problem killing for their religion. Just the same as you, apparently.

It would be quite nice for the rest of us to understand how that sort of mind works, if only so that that we can stay the 🤬 away from y'all.

To describe religious terrorists as "fringe" or "extremists" is factually incorrect. They are merely obeying their holy books, which provide their central teachings. To obey the central teachings of a religion doesn't make them fringe dwellers, it makes them central.

For example, if Muslims want to distance themselves from such terrorist actions, then they need to distance themselves from the antisocial teachings of the Quran. Maybe by removing the offending passages from their books, or removing the books from their lives.

And yes, the same arguments are applicable to both Biblical Testaments and all religions based on these books. It is inaccurate to use words such as "fringe", even if most religious people don't actually obey their books.

It is notable that although @EF12345678 seems to have no problem with murder and genocide in the name of his god, it’s probable that he doesn’t see himself as “an extremist”. Because, of course, he isn’t. He's just a Christian, and like the Muslims and others, he's 🤬 scary, as @Imari has said.

It is notable that although @EF12345678 seems to have no problem with murder and genocide in the name of his god, it’s probable that he doesn’t see himself as “an extremist”. Because, of course, he isn’t. He's just a Christian, and like the Muslims and others, he's 🤬 scary, as @Imari has said.
That's an insult. Stop tagging me.

That's an insult.
Where?

You agreed with the first part when @Scaff pressed you on defending murder and genocide if the Bible says it's okay, the second part says you don't see yourself as en extremist because you aren't and the third part says you're a Christian and @GBO Possum is scared of you as a result of the first part - that you agreed with.

Where?

You agreed with the first part when @Scaff pressed you on defending murder and genocide if the Bible says it's okay, the second part says you don't see yourself as en extremist because you aren't and the third part says you're a Christian and @GBO Possum is scared of you as a result of the first part - that you agreed with.
I wish to be banned from this thread, and I know you can make that happen. Please, and thank you.

Are you a mod or admin? No? You shouldn't be telling other members what (not) to do, then.
Then you cannot tell me what to do. I can request that someone stop tagging me, and I can also request to be banned from this thread. Now, I request that I either, one - be banned from this thread, or, two - stop being quoted, tagged, etc.

Thanks.

He never said that "He appeared with no cause."

The same would apply for the eternal existence argument, or any other.

Then why follow a "dumb" religion, made by "dumb" people? Because a "dumb" book, written and translated by "dumb" people told you to? :lol:

If you personally don't WANT to believe, then that's your choice.

Why insist your God is real then refuse to answer questions about its fallibility and morality?

I'm done here, and I think @Charlie A is too.
Bye.

Somehow I don't believe you.

Edit: you can request that people don't respond, but it won't be enforced unless our responses are deemed unreasonable by the mods. I haven't noticed a single one as of yet.

That's an insult.

That's the last response I would have expected. How do you feel insulted? If I were to quote some vile and offensive lines from your "holy" book, would that make you feel insulted or famous?

I know, but it's in my best interest that I would be banned from replying.

It's too aggravating, please just ban me from this thread. Thanks.

You can withdraw from posting stuff, but that wouldn't allow you to be a martyr for your "god". I guess that's why you need it to be done for you.

That's the last response I would have expected. How do you feel insulted? If I were to quote some vile and offensive lines from your "holy" book, would that make you feel insulted or famous? You can withdraw from posting stuff, but that wouldn't allow you to be a martyr for your "god". I guess that's why you need it to be done for you.
Please STOP! LEAVE ME ALONE!
  • You will not behave in an abusive and/or hateful manner, and will not harass, threaten, nor attack any individual or any group.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harassment

I know, but it's in my best interest that I would be banned from replying.

It's too aggravating, please just ban me from this thread. Thanks.
I refer you back to both the answers you just quoted.

@EF12345678, unfortunately I don't think either of your requests is going to be fulfilled though. The man in indigo did, after all, just say the mod team tends not to issue bans on request, and this case is probably no exception.

On topic for a change, after all this nonsense:

To describe religious terrorists as "fringe" or "extremists" is factually incorrect. They are merely obeying their holy books, which provide their central teachings. To obey the central teachings of a religion doesn't make them fringe dwellers, it makes them central.

For example, if Muslims want to distance themselves from such terrorist actions, then they need to distance themselves from the antisocial teachings of the Quran. Maybe by removing the offending passages from their books, or removing the books from their lives.

And yes, the same arguments are applicable to both Biblical Testaments and all religions based on these books. It is inaccurate to use words such as "fringe", even if most religious people don't actually obey their books.

...I think I agree with this. Feels like 'extremist' isn't really fitting for groups like the Taliban (who just recently, by the way, reminded the world they still do exist, in their usual manner), ISIS or Hamas, because really, they're following their holy books more effectively than those who claim to be believers, but deliberately skip past the violent verses, as if they want to live in a delusion that their god really isn't all that evil.

Please STOP! LEAVE ME ALONE!
You posted comments that raised questions and people have asked them.

That you are unwilling to answer them does not mean that its harassment, that you keep returning here to post more comments and garner further replies doesn't make it harassment.

If you wish to stop being involved in the conversation that is within your power, simply stop commenting, but you will not tell others what they should do or cite the AUP at them.

What word would you use to describe people who are a tiny minority of the larger group? It's a useful thing to have a description for.

Some people define the religion as the group of rules that make up that religion, usually the ones written down in their book. I think this rather tends to assume the worst of religious people, most of whom are not mental and would not condone mass genocide. As such, I prefer to judge religions by the actions of the majority, although I'm still happy to pull apart the inconsistent logic of their book if individuals start quoting bollocks at me.

I don't think it's helpful to lump together the little Christian grandmothers of the world who are legitimately nice people, with the likes of our friend with too many numbers in his name here who is happy to kill everyone.

This is the reason why I don't understand god. Everybody has there own view but yet it leads to an argument and then to a fight about religion and killing people for the sake of it. If god was humane enough we'd all believe in the same one heck I'd not care if you have different belief. I don't need to be argued at saying omg you don't believe in god you believe in Scientology. FFS I don't even believe in that. I don't even want to know what else is out there in the universe because it scares me. what we may find out there may hurt us more. If we see how we were created. It's something I don't want to find out because it will hurt us.

This is the reason why I don't understand god. Everybody has there own view but yet it leads to an argument and then to a fight about religion and killing people for the sake of it. If god was humane enough we'd all believe in the same one heck I'd not care if you have different belief. I don't need to be argued at saying omg you don't believe in god you believe in Scientology. FFS I don't even believe in that. I don't even want to know what else is out there in the universe because it scares me. what we may find out there may hurt us more. If we see how we were created. It's something I don't want to find out because it will hurt us.

How do you arrive at that conclusion? If we, for example, find out that there's no way a god had anything to do with it, how does that hurt us? Nobody would be able to quote scripture to justify persecution anymore, otherwise they'd be labelled extremists (and likely idiots). The same goes for finding out some sentient being created us, because either they could tell us what's what, or they'd be dead, and thus irrelevant. There's also the possibility that if it was a natural occurrence we could find the what, then the how, then create limitless energy. Or destroy ourselves at the first attempt, but... meh, how would we even notice? I see nothing but good from finding out.

Back