Does this peeve you off?

• Thread starter shmogt
  • 141 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
What PROBABLY happened at PD...

"OK intern Dave since it's your first day here, you're on prop duty. Make us stuff for our level designers to place around the track to make it look believable, populated, high quality, etc"
"Sure thing Yamauchi-san"
"Oh, and Dave, make sure to use as little memory as possible, we ain't got much"
"OK boss"

And then Intern Dave spent his first week at PD making a bunch of sheep, shrubs, flags, tents, Alpine Rocks, etc for placement around tracks like Toscana and Eiger Norwand and the Nurburgring.

Here are some facts:

A sheep mesh that doesn't animate and has a tiling wool texture and an alright head texture takes about 0.001 seconds to render. Literally not that much, obviously, but deleting the sheep (even a herd!) won't do squat to the framerate or help fix any screen tearing.

A 2D flag is one sprite sheet, maybe 9 images adding up to a 128, at the most.

A 3D flag is one, much smaller texture, with MAYBE 8 or 9 tris (polygons). Animation is tiny, mesh is near free to render (under the threshold for the system), texture is tiny.

Point is, if something is a problem, the sheep and/or flags aren't contributing, nor will removing them help at all. They're a quick, easy and cheap way to make the game look better - stop being babies and enjoy the view!

Mark
Fresh air, go find the door and get some.

Yes, because going on different threads and saying roughly the same thing over and over again doesn't scream "IM UP TILL 4 IN THE MORNING PLAYING WOW AND TROLLING THE FORUMS!!!" massive :dunce: to you sir.

On topic. I like the quirky details like this

Hilarious thread :lol: I wonder how fast they will go 'round some tracks, and do they have headlights, taillights, and windshield wipers??

"Grrrrr, these pesky people posting whole new threads just to whinge about some insignificant details, grrrr."

I'd like to extend a thank you to the OP, and everyone who contributed to this thread. It gave me something funny to read when I first got into work.

I don't know a whole lot about sheep, but I don't think their back legs bend that way either...

Actually the sheep are just like the monkey on Trial mountain, they are jpegs that are worked into the coding of the game, those are pictures of real sheep not models. and the two with the bent legs are laying down.

Actually the sheep are just like the monkey on Trial mountain, they are jpegs that are worked into the coding of the game, those are pictures of real sheep not models. and the two with the bent legs are laying down.

What monkey on Trial Mountain?

I don't know a whole lot about sheep, but I don't think their back legs bend that way either...

4957_picture.jpg

18.jpg

What level do you have to be to buy a sheep? What are the performance points on one of these babies? :P

Maybe if you didn't all get so excited by photo-mode they'd be giving more attention to how it moves rather than what it looks like when you press pause.

shmogt
Look how freaking detailed these sheep are. There faces are like real live sheep. Why put so much effort into making these when they are only visible at a certain camera point on like one track. They look better than some standard cars.

You hyped the sheep so much, that when I looked at the picture I was terribly underwhelmed.

eran0004
So they modeled a brick and put a sheep head texture on it, why get upset about that? It's done in five minutes.
This quote has it right. They have some detail, but these sheep are nothing to get excited over. These are the type of models and textures I saw back in the late 90s era of PC gaming. Honestly...

Doesn't surprise me that sheep are in a game with a monkey and the loch ness monster! But seriously, they put 3x the effort into the sheep than they did with the spectators! Just a prime example how PD needs to get their priorities straight.

Does this piss me off? This thread does; yet another pointless thing to whine about.

Yet another pointless thread about sheep? First I've seen on this forum.

OMG, are people stupid or what? If I was in charge none of you complainers would be long-lived at this forum. This is too much...

Yes the standard cars are dated (as in pasted from GT4), but who cares? What I do is I simply don't use any of the standard cars. The 200+ premium cars are more than enough to satisfy me.

By the way, as far as I can tell those sheep are NOT that detailed, they just have detailed textures. I actually have some (not much, but some) experience of 3D modeling, and I'd say a modeler at PD could make one of those in less than an hour really.

Good thing you're not in charge, Senor Castro. But who here said they hated standard cars? We're all too overwhelmed with the beauty of the sheep. Not even Piccasso would make those beauties with 3d rendering programs. There is some hidden talent clearly at PD.

Last edited:
Doesn't surprise me that sheep are in a game with a monkey and the loch ness monster! But seriously, they put 3x the effort into the sheep than they did with the spectators! Just a prime example how PD needs to get their priorities straight.

Where is the lochness monster?

Going to call out you and every other trolling super-serious cry baby. You came into a thread about, sheep for God's sake, to essentially do the thing you're crying about--complain.

Yet another pointless thread about sheep? First I've seen on this forum.

Really? So what are you doing right now? I'll tell you; you're WHINING. I meant another pointlessthread about some trivial subject, not specifically sheep. :P
Before this argument advances, I'll say what I was trying to say originally:

No, it doesn't "peeve" me off, and something minuscule and meaningless as this should never have a thread created about them. Especially on a forum based on a RACING game, not a game dedicated to having over 1000 highly detailed sheep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back