F1 and the future of GT

Well, if there's no money in it, who's going to fund the development?

I don't think you understood the comment. Who said there is no money in it? I said that if making money (like an EA and others) isn't the main priority and rather the performance and accuracy comes first then the issues theoretically should be minor.

I don't think you understood the comment. Who said there is no money in it? I said that if making money (like an EA and others) isn't the main priority and rather the performance and accuracy comes first then the issues theoretically should be minor.

The thing is that you need a business plan. You can't just develop a game for millions of dollars and then hope that it will sell good. The more money that's invested in something, the more eager the investors are to get a good return of their investment. After all, they didn't get rich by throwing their money away - they want control over what's happening. So for that reason, expensive development will never be free from the demand of being profitable.

So while having a lot of money for development is great, it's also a bit of a curse.

The thing is that you need a business plan. You can't just develop a game for millions of dollars and then hope that it will sell good. The more money that's invested in something, the more eager the investors are to get a good return of their investment. After all, they didn't get rich by throwing their money away - they want control over what's happening. So for that reason, expensive development will never be free from the demand of being profitable.

So while having a lot of money for development is great, it's also a bit of a curse.

Once again not what I was saying... I understand economics especially on a macro level so, thanks but um you clearly don't get the point of my post and in not knowing you're in turn making this into something else that it only to the smallest nth degree is about.

I liked the Ferrari F1 cars we had in GT5, shame they were taken out for 6.

Personally, I like F1 and I'd like to see what PD could do with the license. But I think GT has developed itself as a game that covers a wide spectrum of motorsport, although in a largely unofficial sense seeing as there are no real-world racing series that have been re-created in full. So, I'd be happy with a small selection of F1 cars. I'm not sure there's a viable way for PD to release a version of GT that included a fully licensed F1 championship; I think that would require so much work that every other area of the game would be neglected as a consequence.

Once again not what I was saying... I understand economics especially on a macro level so, thanks but um you clearly don't get the point of my post and in not knowing you're in turn making this into something else that it only to the smallest nth degree is about.

This is what you wrote:

Rather, the idea that putting forth an effort to build a game not for money as a priority but giving a true sim that houses everything somehow can't be achieved.

And I'm saying that the reason why it can't be achieved is because money will always be the number 1 priority in a project where a lot of money is involved. There's no way to get away from it, because whoever invested that money is not going to forget where they put their money.

That doesn't prevent a producer from having a vision, but in the end it's always the money that has the last say.

This is what you wrote:

And I'm saying that the reason why it can't be achieved is because money will always be the number 1 priority in a project where a lot of money is involved. There's no way to get away from it, because whoever invested that money is not going to forget where they put their money.

That doesn't prevent a producer from having a vision, but in the end it's always the money that has the last say.

Then why not say that in the first place rather than trying to roll out some "teaching based" econ overview... It's obvious that money will be the number 1 priority. Most times investors of big companies are just investing on sales not quality of content or effort of the game, hence why EA, Blizzard, and others churn out games as fast as they can so their investors see a quicker return. Also it is possible to make a game like I'm suggesting that is why SMS is doing it with Pcars and why Assetto Corsa is the way it is and so on. Also what you neglect is the potential for investors that invest based on the quality of the game like I stated, or invest because they know what the genre is and what it should be in theory.

Then why not say that in the first place rather than trying to roll out some "teaching based" econ overview... It's obvious that money will be the number 1 priority. Most times investors of big companies are just investing on sales not quality of content or effort of the game, hence why EA, Blizzard, and others churn out games as fast as they can so their investors see a quicker return. Also it is possible to make a game like I'm suggesting that is why SMS is doing it with Pcars and why Assetto Corsa is the way it is and so on. Also what you neglect is the potential for investors that invest based on the quality of the game like I stated, or invest because they know what the genre is and what it should be in theory.

I've been saying that all along :P

How is SMS an example of what you're suggesting?

PD should just bring back the "F1's" from back in GT3:

F090s.jpg

And add in some more "F1's" whilst they're at it too ;)

whoops.
i was not sure about bathurst and quickly googled it and saw formel 1 and bathurst mentioned in the same sentence.
Rereading it now and it only says that 1967s Formula 1 champion Denis Hulme died on the conrod straight because of an heart attack.:crazy:

so, bathurst never was a f1 track. but all others should be right.

but to be sure: the track was driven in a 2008 mclaren F1 by jenson button in 2011 (who naturally smashed the lap record in the process):
http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor-news/f1-car-smashes-bathurst-record-20110322-1c4tm.html

That would be cool to see Bathurst as an F1 track-especially with a couple of straights for the DRS to be used

PD should just bring back the "F1's" from back in GT3:

F090s.jpg

And add in some more "F1's" whilst they're at it too ;)

That would be cool to see Bathurst as an F1 track-especially with a couple of straights for the DRS to be used

They wont and can't "really" as the sim community has found out yesterday, with the FOM bringing the hammer on even sites that host F1 mods.

Too much money to be made from "loop holes"

They wont and can't "really" as the sim community has found out yesterday, with the FOM bringing the hammer on even sites that host F1 mods.

Too much money to be made from "loop holes"
The Formula GT is in trouble then?

Slightly unrelated but I saw this today;

http://www.virtualr.net/no-more-formula-one-modding-content-on-virtualr

That's some first class fan alienation there, F1 politics in 2014 :boggled:

I read somewhere that Codemasters own the exclusive rights to the F1 'season', ie F1 cars racing other F1 cars, and other games can only gain rights to a particular car. Simraceway for example has a few McLarens and rFactor 2 has a Marussia.

In all honesty I'm not really bothered about F1 in GT, I'd much rather see BTCC, Oz V8s and GT3/Blancpain/whatever it will be called next year being represented, or maybe lower open-wheel classes like F3, FFord, FRenault 3.5 etc. What we really need is a new ToCA 3 with GT physics :D

Slightly unrelated but I saw this today;

http://www.virtualr.net/no-more-formula-one-modding-content-on-virtualr

That's some first class fan alienation there, F1 politics in 2014 :boggled:

I read somewhere that Codemasters own the exclusive rights to the F1 'season', ie F1 cars racing other F1 cars, and other games can only gain rights to a particular car. Simraceway for example has a few McLarens and rFactor 2 has a Marussia.

In all honesty I'm not really bothered about F1 in GT, I'd much rather see BTCC, Oz V8s and GT3/Blancpain/whatever it will be called next year being represented, or maybe lower open-wheel classes like F3, FFord, FRenault 3.5 etc. What we really need is a new ToCA 3 with GT physics :D

#F1Modcalypse anyone? :irked:

Bernie Eclo****er is about to go down, after it happens I am sure there will be huge changes in the way FOM deal contracts, Bernie is a asshole and has constantly put his own pocket before the well being of F1 for the last 20 years.

Bernie Eclo****er is about to go down, after it happens I am sure there will be huge changes in the way FOM deal contracts, Bernie is a asshole and has constantly put his own pocket before the well being of F1 for the last 20 years.
I highly doubt Bernie himself personally deals with stuff like this. Him being gone, one way or another, is unlikely to change anything regarding licensing.

You're kidding right?

The Formula One Group is a group of companies responsible for the promotion of the FIA Formula One World Championship and exploitation of the sport's commercial rights.[1] Bernie Ecclestone, a former Formula One team boss, has run the company since gaining control of the commercial rights. The Group is owned ultimately by Delta Topco, a Jersey–based company owned primarily by investment companies CVC Capital Partners, Waddell & Reed, and LBI Group, with the remaining ownership split between Bernie Ecclestone, other investment companies and company directors.

If you think Bernie solely makes all decisions regarding F1 you're going to be disappointed when he does retire.

Back