Fanmade GT5 Sound Previews

• Thread starter RACECAR
  • 170 comments
Problem with all these videos, is the sound seems so out of place, kinda like the various Rfactor mods using real life video sounds :)

It's like trying to use a photograph for a texture in game, it always looks out of place.
Plus the fact video sounds have no bass, and the mics are not sensitive enough to pick up a lot of the wind and road/tyre noise.
Even driving at 100kph in a streetcar on smooth roads, with all the sound proofing and what not, is still pretty loud, wind and tyre noise wise

Well the car audio in GT has always been terrible, easily the worst i've ever seen in a racing game. I don't expect it to change for GT5. Even GTA4 car sounds are better and that isn't even a racing game. Why is it so hard for PD to make a V8 sound like a V8?

Problem with all these videos, is the sound seems so out of place, kinda like the various Rfactor mods using real life video sounds :)

It's like trying to use a photograph for a texture in game, it always looks out of place.
Plus the fact video sounds have no bass, and the mics are not sensitive enough to pick up a lot of the wind and road/tyre noise.
Even driving at 100kph in a streetcar on smooth roads, with all the sound proofing and what not, is still pretty loud, wind and tyre noise wise

Well how would you recommend I improve them? I can't get them to sound anymore real then that. Since I've never driven in any of these cars (as well as majority of people that play these games), those onboards are about as close as I can get.

Nothing to do with your work, it's more to do with the fact real life recording and games don't mesh together. One is frozen in time, and the other is interactive

Nothing to do with your work, it's more to do with the fact real life recording and games don't mesh together. One is frozen in time, and the other is interactive
Then how do you explain games like GTR and even TOCA, with much better engine sounds and rawness of opening up the throttle, turbo whine, the car botteming out, and so on? It should have been recorded somehow, wouldn't it?

I'm thinking games nowadays are way too graphic based, and the sound is made less important. I think, game studios can really create MUCH better sounds than they are now.

Someone else already mentioned modded games, especially shooters, where a small community improves the sound by miles just by adding some real life sounds.

On the other hand, it would be kind of overwhelming to hear this kind of engine noise through your living room all the time, so I guess they could tune it down just a notch. But even then, these sounds would be 100 times better.

Btw, imagine how stupid the reviews would look:
Graphics: 9/10
Gameplay: 9/10
Story: 8/10
Sound: 4/10

Last edited:
Btw, imagine how stupid the reviews would look:
Graphics: 9/10
Gameplay: 9/10
Story: 8/10
Sound: 4/10
Personally, I think the old concept of using a numeric scale of some kind to represent aspects of a game is stupid anyway, but still...people will want things pigeon-holed!

Anyway, those scores work for me - the graphics and gameplay have always been the cornerstone of this series. Historically there has never really been a story as such, so we'll have to see on that one, and the sound is what it is. I'm in the camp of people who really doesn't want thumping great loud, growling engine tones blasting out of their speakers for the duration of a race, so their current muted tone is perfect for me. Now, I'm not saying they shouldn't dirty up the sounds just a little bit, and we all have volume controls...

It's also very true what CoolColJ says - when people do put very realistic recorded audio over a game, it doesn't always sound right in relation to the very unrealistic video. The trouble is, taking a few samples and making those fit all scenarios in a game by changing pitch etc. also introduces inherant flaws. In this respect, I think PD have the balance just about spot-on with the current graphics and audio.

Maybe in time we'll start to have engine sounds based on physics modeling, reproducing the sound of the engine using real-world variables rather than just recording it:

http://www.sonory.org/examples.html

That sonory thing is still very artificial for me, just better work with recording and blending samples would help a lot more than this. Main problem isn't concrete sound if they decided to record and blend samples the right way. I remember AC Cobra or BMW M5 sounding very well in GT4 but there were lot of weird and slurred car sounds with some V6-engine sample in low revs, V8-engine of different quality sample in middle revs and distorted inline four sample in highest revs for a car that is V10. Sound designers obviously didn't catch those modellers and graphicians when it comes to hundred of cars so they would be nice to at least use V10 samples (any) for V10 cars. Otherwise that's just lazyness or complete amateurism and I hope that this time it's not the case!

Last edited:
I'm not sure how sonory synthesise their samples, but I can hear certain artifacts in them that I recognise from my own efforts. As such, their only real sophistication is the "effects" that they add on: spluttering, whine, valvetrain noise - all the easy bits. That said, the sound of the gas pulses emerging from the pipes is particularly well done.

However, their method is limited in that they hard-mix the various sources into samples and then sample these as any other audio engine would. The real beauty of real-time synthesis is that you don't need to use samples! This would allow you to dynamically adjust the mix of each component according to any number of variables, and would limit the number of true samples being used - if any.

The major problem with synthesis (aside from computational load) is getting it to sound like the real article. There are so many nuances with a real-world car that recordings would still have to be used for the stock vehicle (with a bit of synth over the top to help "colour" it for dynamism.) As soon as you start modifying it, you're pretty much home free - especially if you swap out the all of the exhaust components. Trouble is, people want it to sound like the aftermarket parts available for their car. That'll be tricky, since that's far too much information to have to collect. A general approach can be used which should get fairly close, though - even better is if each tuner offers a different approach, for a unique sound - easily achievable if synthesising.

That sonory thing is still very artificial for me
Maybe, but then the game is hardly photo realistic either... It'd be cool to have engine sounds generated by the game that sound integrated, and are completely flexible in terms of how they sound within a given situation/environemnt. So, when you go through a tunnel, you don't just get some echo added, you have the sound modelled on how it would be in real life, with different tunnels producing a different effect - even if it sounds moderately artificial. This might be beyond the realms of PS3, but on PS4...who knows?!

I dont understand why people wouldnt want the cars to sound like the videos, thats the real sound! But its too much for your living room. If its the real driiving simulator you need the most realistic sounds you can get and if thats a problem for people you can always turn the volume down. I really hope they sort out the sound for gt5, prologue was bad bar 1 or 2 (Amuse s2000)

I dont understand why people wouldnt want the cars to sound like the videos, thats the real sound! But its too much for your living room. If its the real driiving simulator you need the most realistic sounds you can get and if thats a problem for people you can always turn the volume down. I really hope they sort out the sound for gt5, prologue was bad bar 1 or 2 (Amuse s2000)
I don't want sounds like the videos because in those examples, they sound artificial relative to the graphics and don't feel like they are integrated/part of the game. Of course I can turn the volume down if I find them too harsh, that's not the issue.

Well, that's because they aren't samples.

I actually like it. The sound aren't perfect to me, but the difference between a V8 and a V6 is tenfold of that in GT5:P.

I don't mean to sound petulent, but they are samples. The samples are synthesised "offline", and then used just like any other sample based method - this they claim is an advantage for the method, supposedly because everybody is stuck in a rut with regards sound...

Check this out for details of how their system is implemented.

Oh, and regarding GT5:P, the difference between any of the V6s and any of the V8s is equally distinct, so far as I can tell (any examples would be welcome). What I think you're actually referring to is the difference in exhaust system used in sonory's examples - for example, the V6 is the classic "unequal length 2x 3-1 manifold with x-pipe" sound, running into a low-restriction tail section, as is popular on 350Zs etc. since it gives a similar sound to a straight 6 (6-2-1). The Audi S4 (B8) uses a different stock manifold design, so is more growly than howl-y, if you get me... ;)

What I think you're actually referring to is the difference in exhaust system used in sonory's examples - for example, the V6 is the classic "unequal length 2x 3-1 manifold with x-pipe" sound, running into a low-restriction tail section, as is popular on 350Zs etc. since it gives a similar sound to a straight 6 (6-2-1). The Audi S4 (B8) uses a different stock manifold design, so is more growly than howl-y, if you get me... ;)
Not really! :lol: Most people who play the game have eyes, and can see that the cars look like their real counterparts. However, very few people are able to distinguish the different nuances in sound in the detail described there. For me, so long as it sounds appropriate for the car being driven , I really couldn't care less about unequal manifolds with a low restriction 6-2-1 stock growl-emulator! ;)

Hehe, well for reference's sake, I'll show you what I mean:

G35 with the Y-pipe removed: here

G35 with Y-pipe still in place: here

The Y-pipe does the same thing as an X-pipe / balance pipe, just flows a bit differently. It's all about sharing the exhaust pulses from both banks - potentially makes it quieter, too. The stock B8 S4 doesn't have a balance pipe of any kind (not really necessary on forced induction, where "acoustic" tuning of the cylinder is almost pointless). Some aftermarket exhausts for the S4 retain the "true twin" layout. Others add the x-pipe in.

EDIT: The point is, synthesis can account for these "subtle" differences, such that you could run with or without a balance pipe and the sound aspect can be easily replicated - as for differences with the torque curve, well that's somewhat more trickierer... I'd be happy if it just changed the sound :dopey:

Last edited:
Yeah, I swing from one to the other - I like both types equally, if "done well". My favourite ever V6 is the 90° one from the back of a Metro 6R4 (skip to 0:30, to avoid the 80s electronica :D)

Oh, and regarding GT5:P, the difference between any of the V6s and any of the V8s is equally distinct, so far as I can tell (any examples would be welcome).
Ok ok, the difference is the same, but the quality isn't.

With this sonory system the difference is 'that sounds like a V8' and 'that kind of sounds like a V6'.
With GT5:P it's like: 'what the hell is that, that doens't even sound close to a V8' and 'this ain't a V6, that's a vacuum cleaner'.

But yes, there IS a difference between the vacuum cleaner and the supposedly V8. :D

what sound did you use for the NSX? Sounds like one brutal Porsche! (not trying to say you fail at matching engine to car, i just really like the sound :P)

what sound did you use for the NSX? Sounds like one brutal Porsche! (not trying to say you fail at matching engine to car, i just really like the sound :P)

That's what the actual Super GT NSX sounds like, that's all NSX right there. 👍

Yes, but that should be the goal for PD just like photorealism seems to be in graphics.
The problem is, if you get audio that sounds too real, as demonstrated in numerous videos, it can sound out of place if the graphics do not reflect that same level of realism. With Gran Turismo they are much closer to photo-realism with the cars than they are the environments. As such, for me the refined audio works, sounds integrated, and very much a part of the game.

Over time I'm sure that everything will converge and become much more realistic overall, but right now, I'm happy with the balance they have struck.

General opinion however is that graphics vs sound quality is far from balance in GT5:P.
Relative to the cars, yes. Relative to the environments, no. Hence why, on balance, I'm happy. Besides, audio seems to have improved anyway in recent builds.

Back