Give us better sounds - PLEASE !!

• Thread starter steamcat
  • 4,667 comments
Well I've set gt6 to large theatre, turned up the the bass on my tv, then noticed in quick options while racing that you can set racing effects above 100 now (120) which turns it red as it causes the sounds to distort, so now the cars actually sound like cars!

Except the m4, which still sounds like a frigging hoover.

Last edited:
Well I've set gt6 to large theatre, turned up the the bass on my tv, then noticed in quick options while racing that you can set racing effects above 100 now (120) which turns it red as it causes the sounds to distort, so now the cars actually sound like cars!

Except the m4, which still sounds like a frigging hoover.

You could set racing effects already to 120 in GT5. And it does nothing but make them a Little louder. But I wonder where you hear distortion and cars which Sound like cars?! It keeps all the same, just the volume goes up.

This sounds like a racecar.

Kaz was in Germany practicing and qualifying for the 24 Hours of Nurburgring.
Oh Kaz...
Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

I just saw this video this morning before work, and I suddenly thought about PCars. It was a weird thing to me, because PCars isn't, or at least it wasn't something that... was on my radar, but man, this blew my mind away.

Now compare it with this. It's the same:

The last PCars video, with the Audi on the Nordschleife was actually the first video that truly hooked me. And now, comparing the sound, this one, for sure.
I'm still not sure about PCars, there is something... odd. I don't know what, but it's definitely getting some amazing improvements. I highly doubt that PD can match this level on PS3, and forgive for being such a pessimist, but I'm in the same position regarding PS4. Not because of the console, but for PD's previous behaviour.
I have the right to have my doubts. I still support them, GT is too big in my life, but they need to get things right for once...

I just saw this video this morning before work, and I suddenly thought about PCars. It was a weird thing to me, because PCars isn't, or at least it wasn't something that... was on my radar, but man, this blew my mind away.

The last PCars video, with the Audi on the Nordschleife was actually the first video that truly hooked me. And now, comparing the sound, this one, for sure.
I'm still not sure about PCars, there is something... odd. I don't know what, but it's definitely getting some amazing improvements. I highly doubt that PD can match this level on PS3, and forgive for being such a pessimist, but I'm in the same position regarding PS4. Not because of the console, but for PD's previous behaviour.
I have the right to have my doubts. I still support them, GT is too big in my life, but they need to get things right for once...

Confidence required at 2:30 on the real life video, that overtake... :bowdown:
By the way, those sounds are music to my ears. And now I begin my watch, until this game come out and the PS4 get cheaper here.

Btw guys, is there any way to increase the wind noise somehow? It's really missing to me.... In GT5p it was perfect aswell as in GT4. But in GT6 it's only noticeable on the Roof/Hood cam. Bumper and Cockpit seem to have it extremely low. Wind noise also adds to the sense of Speed and realism.

Strange is when you look to the left and right on the Roof and Chasecam you suddenly hear loud realistic wind noise. But why only there?

PCars is just one example of why I don't bother with console stuff anymore,especially when game developers like PD are TOTALLY out of touch with the community and what they desire.

It's only the super hardcore GT fans that are with them now it seems.
I was one of them....WAS!!

Kaz only has himself to blame and his "stuck in the mud" team.It's one of the biggest shames in the gaming industry as far as I'm concerned.

Just think of what this franchise could have 'continued' to be if they only listened to us.

PC Master Race.

Basically almost every dev Team nowadays has official community Forums with developer talks, polls, new ideas Content discussions. PD not. They develop the game for themselves and just spread it out to the world then.
Not the opposite developing the game for the community with the community because in the end thats what pays their rent.

Anyways Sound has been complained for years now and still no Kind of sight on improvement or development Status.
I think they might not even bother updating them. Hopes are up for GT7 but 6, no way it takes too much resources to recreate all the sounds for that cars.

Outsourcing would help, but well that seems no Option to them...

Sorry if I am repeating what others have already said, but for the life of me I cannot understand why PD put so much effort into the physics of GT6, only to ruin it with ****** sounds. Take the Audi S1 Quattro for example;

Real life on board

GT6 on board

Do PD honestly think that this is acceptable? I personally, would PAY for a DLC pack that fixed the sounds. It ruins what could be a great game.

As soon as they announced that car I knew it was going to be ruined by awful sounds.

Yeah, totally. I just don't get how they can put their heart and soul into the physics and modelling, yet leave the sounds until friday afternoon and think "**** it man, that will do".

The sounds used for those cars were intended for other cars before GT2 was even finished - the Audi's is a straight six in the familiar uneven 2x3 configuration (a skyline recording) and the FXX I recognise, but can't identify, and is also a six cylinder sound. Both are only exhaust sounds, and the FXX in particular suffers as a result (it has a relatively unique intake sound amongst V12s; although the F50 and base Enzo come close, their exhausts are different also).

PD really need to get their new sounds out in the fresh air. There's some potentially disturbing evidence to suggest this won't be on PS3, as PD appear to have changed their sample format only very recently...
Until they let them loose, we're not hearing what PD are actually capable of today.

Evolution Studios, another Sony game developer, has managed to get the sounds right on their first try. Why is this?

Do they just care more about this one aspect? What is PD's sound designer's opinion on this subject? We never saw them appear in the KAZ documentary, but they showed alot of other members of the PD team. Are they ashamed of them?
Should Polyphony outsource their sound design and fire their current sound team (listed in GT6's credits)?

Totally. It really bugs me. How can Codemasters get it spot on with the sounds (Dirt 3 sounds were brilliant, even if the game was too arcady), yet PD cannot?
not defending one or the other, but Dirt only had, what, 50 unique cars? And of those, maybe 30 were unique audio? If you have X number of hours to dedicate to making car sounds, it's a lot easier to make 50 good ones than 1000.

For what it's worth, Codemasters' audio system is also drastically different than any other games' in that it's a hybrid of granular synthesis, as well as the more traditional looped-based system like other games for when the RPM is held steady. While we can argue for days on whether or not the quality of this system is better than of loops, there are some definite drawbacks to this system, namely that it's very expensive and time consuming to turn a recording from recorded to in-game-ready, and that it uses quite a bit more CPU and memory than simple loops.

That's about the only thing they get right now and again, the start up sample when you get in a car. Not the revving of course.

I think Griff has it spot on, as I've read every page in this thread, though the tech speak goes over my head often, that the thin RB exhaust is the sound of things to come, but they can't do it on the PS3 as they maybe thought they could, I want to be optimistic that they'll overhaul through a big update but it's waning.

All I know is the RBs are the only cars that do something interactive when the throttle is travelling to off, and sound drastically different to any other cars in the game, and surely other laymen other than myself can tell there's something completely different going on than the ascending Casio keyboard strokes sample based sound of the other cars.

Fair play they have totally looked at it in a different way, and like Griff has noted, this system could end up spitting out different layouts etc. all on its own (see I'm a layman) but again it sort of coincides with PD overreaching as per.

plot twist:
Red bull X cars have a placeholder and their crap sounds are going to added in an update

Plot twist:
The red bull X cars currently have placeholders and PD will add crap sounds to them in a future update

Last edited:
What?Project. Sentence not clear to me.

Yes there high revving scream machines, there missing many layers that PD can't add in due to finding out PS3 can't do it. Drive an RB in high gear at low speed then imagine intake sound, turbo whistle and the mechanical engine grunt that all cars miss currently, it doesn't take much to think it could be amazing, they already have pops and gurgles, again missing from every car.

Think they had to try it out at least on PS3, and viable option was fictitious RB that we'll never be able to compare to the real one because there isn't one. It would have been too risky at this stage to try to emulate a real car and ruin it. If they crack it, all power to them and other dev teams will be clambering for the method. They need more power.

You can't deny they are very different from every car, even HSV, even being just the exhaust layer, that's why they sound like moty bikes.

EDIT: apologies Project, I'm laughing now. I misconstrued trying to decipher post, but think above still holds, not a sleight towards you.

Last edited:

Project Cars is built on pc

Think SMS have started showing PS4 screenshots at least now, and they're holding up against the high end PC stuff they've been only showing so far, for bling factor obviously.

Back