Gran Turismo 6 AI discussion

• Thread starter JBanton
  • 803 comments
You can find the link yourself, its on these forums. I dont have computer access to search right now.
Doesn't work like that in this forum. You made a claim you do provide a link to backup your statement.

How am I contradicting myself when I asked what the cost of it would be? Development takes time, time is used on this and other things involved in the game. Staff allocated to certain areas probably work on separate details of the game but they all have to meet at a certain time and deadline for the finished product. Dont see how anyone could know what the details or inner workings of PD are or how they program things like the behavior of the AI incorporated into the package that is the final game. Hence the question. Unless you know what keeps the AI 'slow' you cant just say its an easy fix without being a part of their team.
Decent pace doesn't take a lot of time, it's not a new technology. Decent pace was possible 15 years ago, Toca Series, Grand Prix, etc.
What takes time is AI awareness. GT4 had AWFUL awareness, they were just smashing into you. GT5P showed an improvement. GT5 a total fiasco in career mode, at the same had arcade AI behaving different, quite a lot different on higher agressivity level. Awareness was good enough in my opinion, what was lacking, even on higher level was race pace. Not competitive enough. When I race with F1 CE I have a challange, with GT5 I need to handicap my car quite a lot.

I have my opinion why it has been dumbed.
You can make your own.

Last edited:
I'm not sure there's been any PS3 games with a grid over 24, but I could be forgetting somethiame with good AI.
nascar games had 43 cars on track and there ai is better than gt like isaid gt has some the worst ai of any ps3 sim...how many AI are in gt6 arcade the most ive seen is 10

Doesn't work like that in this forum. You made a claim you do provide a link to backup your statement.
Kaz made the claim, not I. I don't follow the "not how it works" when this information is readily available to you. Its well known on the forums as well. http://m.officialplaystationmagazin...elay-on-ps3-not-being-a-well-balanced-machine
Decent pace doesn't take a lot of time, it's not a new technology. Decent pace was possible 15 years ago, Toca Series, Grand Prix, etc.
What takes time is AI awareness. GT4 had AWFUL awareness, they were just smashing into you. GT5P showed an improvement. GT5 a total fiasco in career mode, at the same had arcade AI behaving different, quite a lot different on higher agressivity level. Awareness was good enough in my opinion, what was lacking, even on higher level was race pace. Not competitive enough. When I race with F1 CE I have a challange, with GT5 I need to handicap my car quite a lot.
Thats very nice. Your experiences are your own. In GT4 I wasn't being crashed into. Dont see why you continue this replying to me, I don't think GT's AI is good. My opinion is they are decent in previous games so hopefully theres a step up. Even so, a-spec isn't my m.o. so its not even my main concern. If you like racing against the computer I can't sympathize.
I have my opinion why it has been dumbed.
You can make your own.
Well your opinion is just that, so don't try to put it above others opinions. My point is no one is sure WHY the AI is the way it is, no one is sure why theres no level difficulties of the AI. Pretending to know is just that.

Don't know if this has been covered yet but the A1 seems to down shift when exiting corners when you overtake them. You can hear it and see them lose a lot of ground. But they do try to block the inside line but always leave a car space for you.

I had an AI go from inside to outside and overtake me on Brands Hatch, will post a vid later
Then I mis braked on the last turn and lost the race :)

I had an AI go from inside to outside and overtake me on Brands Hatch, will post a vid later
A lot o' folks will eat their words if we find AI is adaptive!

No what I want is a challenge when racing against cars with similar PP.

We've seen footage of how players have been able to overtake the AI around comers without breaking a sweat.

I've played GT6 for around 5 hours last night and I think the AI was definitely improved. They try to defend their line, they even pushed me off the track 3 times during races... They passed me without hesitation half a dozen of times.

What people want is to put the maximum PP possible in a car, then go to the Sunday Cup, crash everyone and obliterate the racers and then complain to the hell that the AI is bad.

And there's more, I found them progressive according to the races in the career. National A opponents are harder than National B and so on.

It's still not perfect but we had a great improvement here. Just pay attention.

Here it is - not bad for a Novice event AI....
This AI is usually the "rabbit" one

First replay - then from AI's point of view
none of that jittering throttle through turns like of AI of old

You guys gotta meet the sonofab*** AI from the Driving Mission with the GT-R @ Silverstone.

Damn. Surprisingly agressive for a GT game.

You mean the F-er who gets me Disqualified if I try to overtake his slow ass in the first 3 corners? Damn...

Did anyone else notice how the AI are doing some seriously badass stoppies (rear wheels about 30 degrees up in the air!) on Matterhorn? I had several cars do this on multiple points on Rotenboden, in the 500PP Clubman Cup.

Problem with AI that there is too much variation is skill/speed from the top to bottom
I wish the range was more compressed, and there should be more top AI drivers rather than just 1 "rabbit"

Problem with AI that there is too much variation is skill/speed from the top to bottom
I wish the range was more compressed, and there should be more top AI drivers rather than just 1 "rabbit"

In your video ^^ there are 2 rabbit, the Miata right behind you and the overtaker.

Can anybody tell me if the grids are still horribly inconsitent in GT6? I can get over easy AI and rolling starts, but I hate when I get into a race with what I think is a competitive car, only to find out that there is that one car (Mclaren F1 GTR, Amuse s200, Jaguar XJR-9 in GT5) that totally overpowers every other car, and I'm stuck just racing that one car instead of the whole grid.

If arcade mode AI is good when on max settings, than why the career mode is ****?

To answer my own question, because pd are too lazy to make a system like drivatar for career mode and don't want people with bad skills to cry...
Ugh don't bring drivatar into this. Those drivers are psychopaths, I'd rather not have AI that have to resort to blatantly PITing my on the straights to win.

The AI would be fine if they didn't break so hard going into corners.. GT6 is an improvement over 5 for sure. But they still break tok hard going into and in the middle of corners.

You guys gotta meet the sonofab*** AI from the Driving Mission with the GT-R @ Silverstone.

Damn. Surprisingly agressive for a GT game.

Oh man I just finished this challenge, took me like 30-40 minutes.. This is the most exciting event so far. The time I got sillver, the Ai GT-R was driving on my rear bumper and nudging me around the whole time.

Also it seems the faster I drive the faster the Ai was driving. I did get nudged mid corner in a high speed corner but I wouldn't blame the Ai too much, I don't expect many racers to take that corner very cleanly.

Finally got gold, now I can sleep easy..

So I'm playing for an hour now and I have to say I'm really disappointed. Gran Turismo has become more and more of a kids' game.
  • tutorial for retards
  • comically slow AI (especially cornering speed)
  • all the driving aids a six year old could dream of
  • ridiculously short races
  • no quali
  • rolling start
  • button indicator (wtf?)
I really hope things get better as I progress in career mode, but I doubt it.

Oh, and also: BRING BACK SHUFFLE RACING, FFS!

After a couple of hours driving, heres my thoughts on the A.I:
Instead of chasing the rabbit in GT5, there's now 2 rabbits to chase in GT6.
The most fun races I had was where I was driving a car that was 100pp less than recommended-the A.I. really attacks you!
I wish there was an A.I. difficulty slider for career mode-finding it way too easy in early stages.
I think the game has been made more accessible to new players by reducing the overall difficulty.
Despite this I am enjoying the game so far.

Back