Gran Turismo 6 AI discussion

• Thread starter JBanton
  • 803 comments
I seriously hate this PD AI!

I did a 5 lap arcade race at Bathurst with the AMG Vsion GT - rolling start from last place as per usual
Professional level ( puke!)

and I must have crashed head on into the wall up mountain straight 2 times, each time it took me about 10 second to get the car back facing the right direction
Yet within half a lap I somehow managed to catch the tail end AI cars, Viper GTS, F40 etc

and by lap 4 I was up position 2 and just lost to the first place Mclaren F1 by over cooking the last corner...

This is not AI, nor is it fun!!!!!!
FFS fix this!
I should have been so far behind, and placed last for sure...

I really hope they improve the AI. Maybe even make it top priority. I am a classic GT racer since the beginning in Gran Turismo. I bought Gran Turismo 5 a while back but actually haven't played it that much since it was soooo easy. Bring back the fun for all and improve the AI, build in some difficulty and aggression sliders for both the arcade and career mode. Like RFactor has for example. Ok it doesn't have the best AI, but if you crank that slider up they will go properly fast.

First they cut you off before corners, then they slam the brakes and then they brake again mid-corner! Just enough to make you ram them no less than 2 times if you're not prepared. PD Should implement a blue flag system where the game senses that when the player is obviously way faster compared to the car in front of the player that it tells the AI to get out of the way.

I really hope they improve the AI. Maybe even make it top priority. I am a classic GT racer since the beginning in Gran Turismo. I bought Gran Turismo 5 a while back but actually haven't played it that much since it was soooo easy. Bring back the fun for all and improve the AI, build in some difficulty and aggression sliders for both the arcade and career mode. Like RFactor has for example. Ok it doesn't have the best AI, but if you crank that slider up they will go properly fast.
Cranking the rFactor difficulty and lowering the aggressive slider to zero or near zero is a good compromise.

The AI has not been fixed in 15 years its just been changed from the intelligence and race craft of a potato to a toaster. My only hope is they will allocate more processing power from the PS4 to AI in GT7 and thats clutching at straws. Ive almost given up on GT and ive been playing since 1998.

By the way, if you wonder why we rarely get standing starts, i believe its because the beginning of the race would cause a render and processing spike with all cars on screen (if you start from the back like we always do in A Spec) and with all the cars lurching away from the line the PS3 would struggle to keep up with the physics calculations. If you got a bit sideways on a city track on GT5 you would get serious screen tearing because the PS is starting to run out of grunt. Especially in the rain with the extra alpha and transparencies. So rolling starts it is for now.

when the player is obviously way faster compared to the car in front of the player that it tells the AI to get out of the way.
Worst part is that system like that already exists. On long straights AI will sometimes give a pass to much faster car behind him.

The AI has not been fixed in 15 years its just been changed from the intelligence and race craft of a potato to a toaster. My only hope is they will allocate more processing power from the PS4 to AI in GT7 and thats clutching at straws. Ive almost given up on GT and ive been playing since 1998.

In the 15 minute races, I have to drive hard to catch Ai up, sometimes overtaking P1 within the last few minutes.. It seems that they slow down towards the end of the race.

In the 15 minute races, I have to drive hard to catch Ai up, sometimes overtaking P1 within the last few minutes.. It seems that they slow down towards the end of the race.

Interesting! To be fair i haven't unlocked the 15 minute race events yet. I look forward to trying them then. :)
I think the main problem is speed around corners, particularly long high speed turns such as the spiral section on cape ring, and late acceleration on exit.

I had the pit maneuver pulled on me 2x during the International A GT Championship :crazy: that unlocks the Super Licenses!!! :banghead:

Its like the AI were sent to EA's Hovercraft Shift series aggression school! :D

I think there has been a big improvement in them. 👍

A lot more adaptive then before. ;)

I use a wheel with 0 aids.

Last edited:
I just finished the Ia GT World Championship and the final race in Nurburg was the worst I've seen the AI behave yet. My R10 Audi finally gained P1 on the final lap just before the long straight. the second place car has a higher top end and went to pass me at the end of the straight, right before the curves, of course he upset my car and sent me spinning. And amazingly he wasn't affected at all, its like my car just doesn't exist! NOBODY IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD ATTEMPT A PASS THERE! A long very difficult race ruined because the AI is homicidal. I'm putting GT6 away for a bit, I'll come back in a few weeks. This **** is just pissing me of too much.

Its moments where the AI impresses me and then its moments where they just do the most stupid things. The AI in this game is up and down basically. The thing that frustrates me the most is when they cut you off going into a corner which is really frustrating.

Interesting that you say this however I Don't agree, think GT6's AI is a step in the right direction.

I mean Arcade mode, professional level
In GT5 I did not find much rubber banding. It was possible that I would not place in top 3 in a 5 lap race.
In GT6, it's given, you can give the AI a 30 second head start and your not going to come last....

I had a small problem while doing the S5 mission:

I bounced back towards the track, and the AI car quickly swerved to avoid me:

I did get gold; the AI car was with me the entire time, passed me on the long straight, and then I cleanly passed him back after that.

Been running the 500pp clubman cup with the gt86 racing base car @405pp. First race AI won with a time of 4:34.xx, I was 6s behind. Upped to 425pp, AI won with a 4:31.xx. Upped to 430pp, AI won with 4:27.xx
WTF mates?

When I first downloaded the game (couldn't wait), I ran a 908 at Le Mans at dusk, in light rain on the highest difficulty for two laps. I was thoroughly impressed. The weather, the new lighting, and the fight of the R89 was incredible. If I wasn't really paying attention, I would've gotten beat & I like that. :gtplanet:

This is what just happened to me in International A, Mission 5...
Yes it suck when that happens.

But things like this are not only the AI's fault.

The whole mission is a joke (same as the one with Miura/Murcielago in Brands), in reality they would be gone, you have no chance in hell to catch or even overtake them.
Only the crazy world of GT makes it possible to end up in front of them.
(They only take into account power and weight, forgetting that those old cars have way worse tires, suspension, steering, gearboxes, aerodynamics and so on)

And if you are in front of a much faster AI car this is what happens, they are bad at avoiding a collision and strictly stick to their line. So you better be not in their way (or make sure they hit you straight in the back and not at corner of your car)

As I have progressed through the classes I have gone from being disappointed to being impressed.
It's not perfect by any means but I have had great moments, almost clean online type battles, with the AI.
It's kinda lame with the whole "slow down and let you win" phenomenon, but still the AI displays great new features such as closing the door in a clean manner, leaving me room when I'm alongside, braking duels! (in higher class races) etc etc.

This truly IS as stupid as it sounds, but the AI (for me) is WAAAAAAY too f:censored:g hard! It wouldn't be a problem at all if PD didn't put all of these stupid restrictions in the main career races that should only appear in online races and seasonal events, but noooooooOOOOOOOOOoooooooo. If people want to cheat while playing against the AI, then let them! Players should go out of their way to respect the rules online, though.

Edit: The insane difficulty is only on certain races. The current roadblock for me right now is the final championship series before the S License Test in the iA league. Looks like I'll be doing a lot of grinding in the foreseeable future. :banghead:

Last edited:
Yes it suck when that happens.

But things like this are not only the AI's fault.

The whole mission is a joke (same as the one with Miura/Murcielago in Brands), in reality they would be gone, you have no chance in hell to catch or even overtake them.
Only the crazy world of GT makes it possible to end up in front of them.
(They only take into account power and weight, forgetting that those old cars have way worse tires, suspension, steering, gearboxes, aerodynamics and so on)

And if you are in front of a much faster AI car this is what happens, they are bad at avoiding a collision and strictly stick to their line. So you better be not in their way (or make sure they hit you straight in the back and not at corner of your car)

Isn't that kind of the idea of a GT licence test/challenge though? It puts you in a position where you're disadvantaged in certain ways (tyres, power to weight, acceleration, handling, aero) to provide difficulty, but limits the AI's ability to give you a chance - forcing you to win in the corners with car control rather than just jump in a fast/modern car and blast past. The purpose isn't to make anyone think that a car from the 60's could realistically beat a modern supercar, it's to teach different aspects of car control.

If you think of the other car as an instructor rather than an enemy, it makes a lot more sense (apart from the bashing up the rear as shown in the video above, that's a bit OTT, but realistically a car that much slower should have left the racing line instead of blocking).

Back