Gran Turismo 6 vs Forza Motorsport 5-Test Drive SRT 2013@Bathurst

• Thread starter super_gt
  • 451 comments
And all the features you say are missing, maybe we will see them one day, but definitely won't be in a Forza game....
I created the [SIMw] club in Forza 4. Forza 4 has Hire a driver (B-Spec). Forza 4 had very reliable new DLC releases. I'm sure Forza 5 has new stuff too, but I'm not up to date.

To me, Forza sank to new low when they tried to use kinect to drive (FM4) and how ridiculous it turned out to be. M$ is just using it as a tool to sell whatever new product it has at the time.
Besides the whole working with Pirelli to generate tire data not only for in game use, but real life use as well. So basically Forza 4 funded real life research applicable to tire and vehicle manufacturers.

What's the point of bringing up Kinect at all? Are you surprised that an Xbox game is using Xbox features?

If it is a premium asset to xbox, why would they give FM4 for free if you bought a 360?
Why wouldn't they?

GT has done more then being just a driving simulator. It has earned respects from major manufacturers, and they are willing to collaborate with various projects. Also it has successfully crossed the game/reality boundary with GT academy. But the most important thing for me in GT6: a tribute to Senna.

Forza has done all that too, plus as it's more accurate when it comes to driving, it's a bit more helpful for teaching people about racing/driving. GT Academy doesn't owe much to GT, you could swap in just about any sim you want and get the same results. Afterall, GT isn't even as good a sim as Forza, so GT Academy isn't down to the precision of GT games.

To me, Forza will always be about using kinect to drive (FM4) and how ridiculous it turned out to be. GT has major manufacturers collaborating with varios projects, and it has crossed the game/reality boundary with GT academy. But the most important thing for me in GT6: Senna DLC.
I haven't been online for a couple of days. How is the Senna DLC? What cars did you get? Is Interlagos in there? Bruno? Oh wait...:odd::sly:

And all the features you say are missing, maybe we will see them one day, but definitely won't be in a Forza game....

You can be sure of both of those things? Please, I wouldn't mind a trip in this time machine.

By your logic, can I then assume that we'll never see a proper livery editor in the GT series? Nor decent engine sounds? Engine swaps too, or tire pressure...

I played FM4 with Kinect and the plastic wireless wheel M$ sold at inflated price. Talk about real driving simulation!

Offering casuals other options doesn't make the game less of a simulator - wheel drivers are a tiny fraction of the players for both games. Playing with the wireless wheel and/or Kinect and making cheap jokes about the driving simulation is about on par with me saying GT6 is terribad as I play with SRF and SS tires - which is fun to mention, as some of the board's staunchest, most blinder-equipped members sees no problems with the latter. Actually, SRF is worse, as it actually changes the fundamentals of the physics...

It's been a recurring theme that I've said this for a great many aspects of not just GT, but racing-sim games in general; more options are never a bad thing.

Do you know the meaning of ’’monopolizing’’?? Why do you think the Top Gear track is not in GT6?? And what little they can do in GT5 with it??? If M$ paid for the exclusive use of the Top Gear materials, well can't they at least include Stig’s lap time with the cars he has tested in the game ????

That's an interesting criticism you're leveling at the Top Gear integration - how was it in GT again?

The BBC isn't in the habit of making exclusive deals, so unless you have any proof to provide that MS/T10 did in fact "lock out" PD from TG, it's just as likely that their utter pants integration of the license in GT5 is what cost them it in GT6.

Really? That "because said game is on a next gen console" quote people use has gone too typical. What I meant was it was expected Forza would win because it does things better than GT. Although the physics, the cars oversteer way too easily imo.

Yes I hope Turn 10 reduce the exaggerated oversteer physics in the next version of Forza.

This brings up an even worse point. SRF is forced on in GT at times.

GT forces you to play an arcade game. Kinect wheels that you don't even need to know exist are nothing in comparison.
Is SRF still forced to be used in the Seasonal Events? I haven't tried the last few events, but I don't think it's been that way so far.

I hate how people use it to get the best time possible. I wish we'd be able to have separate leaderboards for people who use assists and for those who don't.

Is SRF still forced to be used in the Seasonal Events? I haven't tried the last few events, but I don't think it's been that way so far.

I hate how people use it to get the best time possible. I wish we'd be able to have separate leaderboards for people who use assists and for those who don't.
No it's not forced on, but being several seconds faster with SRF, means you have no chance to crack the top few hundred or thousand without it, and certainly can't compete for a top spot without it. I tried it for the first time in the Rocket Seasonal and hated every second of it. I almost spun once getting a wheel onto the grass heading into the hairpin and actually gained on my ghost as a result. Mario Kart is more realistic than GT with SRF:tdown:👎

Good video but this guy seems to have never driven that car in real life so I would not pay so much attention. He basically says, I can control the car better in F5 therefore its better... no it isnt, maybe F5 is just more arcade....

Another thing I noticed is that he doesnt seem to know that damage in GT6 can only be enabled in online lobbies, so...
A salient couple of points:cheers: Add to that he's using SS tires and the stock tune is based on SH tires, who knows how that affected the results.

:confused:
Exclusivity license? Is there a source for this?

I asked whether you played either game because what you wrote clearly shows you haven't, at least not for an extended period of time.

Then you go on to say PD will not just capitalize on Senna...based on what exactly? The splendid job they did with TG?

All I see is a strong bias against M$.

I wrote clearly : I have not played FM5! And I gave up FM4 because there is no good and affordable wheel for it at the time.

Apart from Forza, do you play any other games on Xbox? M$ have been paying for ’’exclusive’’ contents in their games ever since the launch of 360. The reason why they haven’t shouted out loud ’’ONLY IN FORZA!’’ for Top Gear contents is because it is not a Lifetime Exclusive and TG producer wants to keep the rights to make a proper Top Gear driving game someday.

I am confused, what you are saying is PD capitalize on Senna, but they will do a bad job. I am sure whatever they are gonna do, it’s gonna be better than Forza ever will. Coz this time PD has the ’’exclusive’’. And The Senna Foundation is not a commercial institution which sells the rights for money alone.

And Forza hardly did justice to Top Gear. Listening to some watered-down commentaries about cars by the Top Gear presenters is just not cricket. What about Stig’s lap times that I suggested? A good and simple idea that could easily be implemented, why didn't they do it?

You bet I am against M$! Why they have to ruin a decent game with kinect and toy like accessory? Why they still refuse to set a launch date for Xbox One in Asia? Are you proForza or just a regular Xbox fanboy?

I haven't been online for a couple of days. How is the Senna DLC? What cars did you get? Is Interlagos in there? Bruno? Oh wait...:odd::sly:

For one thing, the JPS Lotus F1. Senna DLC will be in April. 20th Anniversary of his death. Why don’t you suggest Imola then?

I wrote clearly : I have not played FM5! And I gave up FM4 because there is no good and affordable wheel for it at the time.

Apart from Forza, do you play any other games on Xbox? M$ have been paying for ’’exclusive’’ contents in their games ever since the launch of 360. The reason why they haven’t shouted out loud ’’ONLY IN FORZA!’’ for Top Gear contents is because it is not a Lifetime Exclusive and TG producer wants to keep the rights to make a proper Top Gear driving game someday.

I am confused, what you are saying is PD capitalize on Senna, but they will do a bad job. I am sure whatever they are gonna do, it’s gonna be better than Forza ever will. Coz this time PD has the ’’exclusive’’. And The Senna Foundation is not a commercial institution which sells the rights for money alone.

And Forza hardly did justice to Top Gear. Listening to some watered-down commentaries about cars by the Top Gear presenters is just not cricket. What about Stig’s lap times that I suggested? A good and simple idea that could easily be implemented, why didn't they do it?

You bet I am against M$! Why they have to ruin a decent game with kinect and toy like accessory? Why they still refuse to set a launch date for Xbox One in Asia? Are you proForza or just a regular Xbox fanboy?

Never mind the rest of your post as I don't have too much of a problem with it, but Top Gear is not exclusive to Forza or Xbox. If you have proof to the contrary, I would be more than happy to eat crow.

Whatever they didn't do with the TG license is still more than PD did with it in GT5 which only extended to the inclusion of the track and nothing else. Oh, wait, I forgot the episodes of Top Gear. All in all, that's two things - two things Turn 10 has implemented and then some.

Finally, it's Microsoft or 'MS' and not Micro$oft or 'M$' and the same goes for Sony.

Go to GT5's Top Gear events and compare them to what you can do in Forza 5. It's embarrassing, honestly. Forza has done 10x more with TG than GT5 did. Oh, by the way, I don't care for Top Gear and lean on the GT scale.

You don't need to use kinect or a Nintendo wheel or whatever... It's simply a feature that adds to the game. It's a "toy accessory" Because... Let's see... uhh... Because video games are toys?

And I know that consoles are banned in China, IDK which part of Asia you live in, but they cost much more compared to a place like the U.S. because there's a smaller market for a console.

You can be sure of both of those things? Please, I wouldn't mind a trip in this time machine.

By your logic, can I then assume that we'll never see a proper livery editor in the GT series? Nor decent engine sounds? Engine swaps too, or tire pressure...

Offering casuals other options doesn't make the game less of a simulator - wheel drivers are a tiny fraction of the players for both games. Playing with the wireless wheel and/or Kinect and making cheap jokes about the driving simulation is about on par with me saying GT6 is terribad as I play with SRF and SS tires - which is fun to mention, as some of the board's staunchest, most blinder-equipped members sees no problems with the latter. Actually, SRF is worse, as it actually changes the fundamentals of the physics...

It's been a recurring theme that I've said this for a great many aspects of not just GT, but racing-sim games in general; more options are never a bad thing.

That's an interesting criticism you're leveling at the Top Gear integration - how was it in GT again?

The BBC isn't in the habit of making exclusive deals, so unless you have any proof to provide that MS/T10 did in fact "lock out" PD from TG, it's just as likely that their utter pants integration of the license in GT5 is what cost them it in GT6.

By your logic, FM4 must have done a real bad job with Nurburgring, tht’s why it was taken out of FM5.

BBC is strapped for cash. M$ have been paying for Time Exclusive (not outright exclusive) for their games for years, you do the maths....

Forza is a M$ funded game, it is done to a budget(which might be huge). But it’s the difference between the upcoming Need For Speed movie and RUSH. Each appeal to its own audiences. I don’t see B spec happening in Forza 5. And I don’t mind NOT seeing livery editor in GT6/7.

Last edited:
By your logic, FM4 must have done a real bad job with Nurburgring, tht’s why it was taken out of FM5.

BBC is strapped for cash. M$ have been paying for Time Exclusive (not outright exclusive) for their games for years, you do the maths....

Forza is a M$ funded game, it is done to a budget(which might be huge). But it’s the difference between the upcoming Need For Speed movie and RUSH. Each appeal to its own audiences. I don’t see B spec happening in Forza. And I don’t mind NOT seeing livery editor in GT.

Wrong, again. It's called "Hire Driver".

Go to GT5's Top Gear events and compare them to what you can do in Forza 5. It's embarrassing, honestly. Forza has done 10x more with TG than GT5 did. Oh, by the way, I don't care for Top Gear and lean on the GT scale.

You don't need to use kinect or a Nintendo wheel or whatever... It's simply a feature that adds to the game. It's a "toy accessory" Because... Let's see... uhh... Because video games are toys?

And I know that consoles are banned in China, IDK which part of Asia you live in, but they cost much more compared to a place like the U.S. because there's a smaller market for a console.

How many times do I have to say I haven't played Forza 5?

Read my profile pic on the left. I am in Hong Kong. Xbox360 is cheaper in HK than the USA, AND it comes with 3 games, one of which is FM4. BTW the ban in China has been lifted.

Read my profile pic on the left. I am in Hong Kong. Xbox360 is cheaper in HK than the USA, AND it comes with 3 games, one of which is FM4. BTW the ban in China has been lifted.
I'm on my phone, locations aren't displayed, sorry. I'm not quite sure why the Xbox 360 is relevant though...? We're talking about the PS3 and Xbox One.

Actually, that's still using your logic. Though yes, I'd absolutely agree the 'Ring wasn't that good - as it was a borrowed asset from PGR, that's not surprising. I'm glad it's been removed with the rumour of a new laser-scanned version coming - it certainly beats carrying around decade-old dead assets when you move to a new generation... oh, wait.

They've paid for some time-exclusive licenses on cars, perhaps. Again, any proof of there being any for BBC/Top Gear?

I don’t see B spec happening in Forza. And I don’t mind NOT seeing livery editor in GT.

"Hire Driver" has already happened, at least as early as FM3 - I can't remember about FM2, though even FM1 had drivatars. On that last comment - not at all surprised, when important features that are pretty standard amongst the competition are absent in GT, they're quite often conveniently not that important to its fans.

I'm on my phone, locations aren't displayed, sorry. I'm not quite sure why the Xbox 360 is relevant though...? We're talking about the PS3 and Xbox One.

I am comparing 360 prices because M$ in all its marketing wisdom still has not set a launch date for Xbox One in HK and all of Asia. That is why I haven't been able to play FM5.

They did. It's widely known that the track was incorrect.

You know, Sony has too.

And they were just gonna port the 360 version over to Xbox One? Nurburgring almost went bankrupt, I am not sure they are in a position to refuse licensing fee....

Yeah SONY paid for exclusives, but they don't have pockets as deep as M$. Plus PD operates pretty much independently. If SONY have a say, would they allow for GT Academy (and expanding) when they are in such terrible financial codition?

And they were just gonna port the 360 version over to Xbox One? Nurburgring almost went bankrupt, I am not sure they are in a position to refuse licensing fee....

Yeah SONY paid for exclusives, but they don't have pockets as deep as M$. Plus PD operates pretty much independently. If SONY have a say, would they allow for GT Academy (and expanding) when they are in such terrible financial codition?
No. They never considered it because it was humiliating to the franchise. Instead, they're completely redoing the track in-game and giving it will be DLC. But it still probably won't be as good as GT's version.

Sony has pretty deep pockets...and PD isn't "independent," they're funded by Sony, just like how Forza is funded by MS. I'm not 100% sure but I think GT Academy has no relation to Sony, but rather Gran Turismo and Nissan, but because they're tied to GT, they can go to any track that is currently in GT6 and film or test or whatever. (Can someone tell me if I'm right on that?)

Jesus, this is oddly heated...Even the mods are getting out of hand...calm down guys.

I've spent a lot of time with both games using wheels on both (Fanatec 911 GT3 RS V2 on GT6 and actually the same wheel used in the vid for FM5) and I agree with most of it.

FM5 certainly looks and sound better than GT6. The damage and framerate are better aswell. As for the sounds of the rocks and such I honestly don't remember if they are present in FM5 but they are certainly there in GT6 so I was confused by that part of the video.

I also agree with what the video says about road feel and FFB. It's way better and GT6 and the feel of the driving is the main reason I prefer GT to FM. The cars just seem really floaty and the cars seem really prone to oversteer (I kept spinning an RS5 the last time I played...a big WTF moment for me).

Whichever you prefer is always going to come down to tastes but for me I'll take good road feel and FFB over damage and sounds every time.

Actually, that's still using your logic. Though yes, I'd absolutely agree the 'Ring wasn't that good - as it was a borrowed asset from PGR, that's not surprising. I'm glad it's been removed with the rumour of a new laser-scanned version coming - it certainly beats carrying around decade-old dead assets when you move to a new generation... oh, wait.

They've paid for some time-exclusive licenses on cars, perhaps. Again, any proof of there being any for BBC/Top Gear?

"Hire Driver" has already happened, at least as early as FM3 - I can't remember about FM2, though even FM1 had drivatars. On that last comment - not at all surprised, when important features that are pretty standard amongst the competition are absent in GT, they're quite often conveniently not that important to its fans.

GT6 is on next gen?

I am sure being a government-owned company, if you go through BBC’s annual financial reports there will be some info regarding fees received. As to whether it is branded ’exclusive’ , maybe we will not find the actual contract in the reports. The matter of fact is Forza is the only game with Top Gear contents right now.

I stand corrected, meant to say not happening in Forza 5....

For one thing, the JPS Lotus F1. Senna DLC will be in April. 20th Anniversary of his death. Why don’t you suggest Imola then?
Cool. So is the JPS car in the Lotus dealership? How much is it?...oh wait...:lol:

Okay, i'm going to assume English isn't your first language:

You just said FM4 did a bad job with the Nurburgring, yes? Because they did. The track was incorrect. Supposedly, it's being "rescanned". What the incorrect representation of a track has to do with licensing is beyond me. So i'm going to sit here and eat my peanut butter cookies, drink cranberry juice, fart a couple of times, and probably rage at Strider.

Yeah SONY paid for exclusives, but they don't have pockets as deep as M$.

Show me financial statements from both companies proving so. Otherwise, cookie, juice, fart, Strider.

Plus PD operates pretty much independently.

So PD isn't a First Party Sony developer? T10 must not be a First Party Microsoft developer. Sweet mother of holy chocolate balls slathered in banana sauce you have rocked my world!

If SONY have a say, would they allow for GT Academy (and expanding) when they are in such terrible financial codition?

Is GT Academy not already "allowed"?

No. They never considered it because it was humiliating to the franchise. Instead, they're completely redoing the track in-game and giving it will be DLC. But it still probably won't be as good as GT's version.

Sony has pretty deep pockets...and PD isn't "independent," they're funded by Sony, just like how Forza is funded by MS. I'm not 100% sure but I think GT Academy has no relation to Sony, but rather Gran Turismo and Nissan, but because they're tied to GT, they can go to any track that is currently in GT6 and film or test or whatever. (Can someone tell me if I'm right on that?)

Kaz himself already stated in interviews, SONY told him to go and form PD outside of SCE. Again if SONY has a say, GT would come out once a year, PD HQ most likely wouldn't have moved to Fukuoka, and GT wouldn't be sponsoring an entire race series. It’s just not good business sense.

Back