GT6 Sales Discussion

Just a mere 2.37 million copies sold? What about the 2.5 million players who supposedly downloaded the Aston Martin VGT?

Well, it's not that I'm genuinely suprised by the huge dip in sales from GT5, I just expected more as far as sales numbers go. Terrible numbers for Gran Turismo nonetheless.

Few options:

1) Those were total sales numbers, digital, physical (bundles included) til August 2014.
2) "Source: Playstation" was a ruse, Boomblerg called the "Playstation" office.
3) It's the most active user base ever!
4) It's the update bugs making people download it 10x more.

Now for Virag's numbers:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/275776628/Virag-v-Sony-right-of-publicity-opinion-pdf This has just a part of the 'first amended complaint'. If someone managed to have access to the full complaint, we'd see the source and date from the sales data.

Right now it can be from anywhere between August 1, 2014 (1 day after first filling) to June 1, 2015 (day of first amendment to the filling).

I suppose whoever got access could check.

Last edited:
That number is still better than all the rest, except mario kart. GT games have long legs too, it will keep selling for a few years, especially when second hand last gen console prices drop to third world affordability levels.

Plenty of manufacturers actively involved with VGT too, which will benefit GT7 and beyond.

That number is still better than all the rest, except mario kart. GT games have long legs too, it will keep selling for a few years,

Considering that the Aston news of 2.5M was just over a year ago and the numbers of ~2.4m was this past week it doesn't look like GT6 has really sold anything significant in the past year.

It's funny though that since specialized news will probably run with this number now (and like it or not, it is bad press), this might (may, can, no...?) PD/Sony to release an official statement confirming, denying or providing corrected information.

Glad to see those of us who expected the next gen to eat potential GT6 sales were right. Sadly it had to come out through this litigation.

It's funny though that since specialized news will probably run with this number now (and like it or not, it is bad press), this might (may, can, no...?) PD/Sony to release an official statement confirming, denying or providing corrected information.

How is this not corrected, they provided this to a legal court matter it has to be or they'd be in far worse violation than saving face for fans.

How is this not corrected, they provided this to a legal court matter it has to be or they'd be in far worse violation than saving face for fans.

It's a short sentence, you could read it carefully.

PD/Sony to release an official statement confirming, denying or providing corrected information.

Other news outlets will certainly try to verify with Sony

- Confirming means = 2.37 is from June 2015.
- Denying means = they can just deny and not offer any more information.
- Correcting means = Offering information in case it is wrong for current date.

And I'll just quote my post above to save me time:

Now for Virag's numbers:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/275776628/Virag-v-Sony-right-of-publicity-opinion-pdf This has just a part of the 'first amended complaint'. If someone managed to have access to the full complaint, at page 28 we'd see the source and date from the sales data.

Right now it can be from anywhere between August 1, 2014 (1 day after first filling) to June 1, 2015 (day of first amendment to the filling).

I suppose whoever got access could check.

If you read it doesn't show when or if the court of Northern California (or NJ) petitioned sales data (because the above is not the complaint document). This data could be from after the complaint was filled for the first time in the end of July, 2014 up to when the amendment was made, which is June 1st of this year.

Whoever had access to the documents could check the first amended complaint in its full, and check the date and source. It's more precise information, it's journalism.

Last edited:
not a big deal at all. They knew what they were doing. really, just sit and watch.

I will be buying THE special edition of whatever they have to offer. means nothing to you, yet we're completely different, possibly, yuu know?

I am surprised by this figure. I continue to think that GT6 has reached 4-5 million worldwide since 6 December 2015.

After that it has sold less than GT5 or others episode, I'm not surprised:

- Even numbers always sells less than the odd number.
- GT6 came out after the PS4 who have an unexpected success. It must be the only game exceeded 1 million.
- Many have hoped for a remastered and haven't bought GT6.

And without any numbers, that list is meaningless.
And being 9th on an obsolete platform is nothing to brag about. The truth is what many had predicted already: PD bet on the wrong horse by staying on the old platform and splitting up their developer pool across two platforms. They could have had a title out on PS4 earlier, but now the bar has been set by sims like Project CARS. The upcoming Assetto Corsa will at least match that and possibly raise it further. Then there's games like Driveclub that have set graphical standards. People are going to expect a lot more from PD now, and they're already playing catch-up (and with their track record, that's a really bad thing). Not even mentioning competing platforms.

They knew what they were doing. really, just sit and watch.
I don't understand how you can say this when they have shown us they don't have a clue what they're doing for the past five (!) years. They're a ship where the captain has no clue where he's going, there's no focus whatsoever.

I am surprised by this figure. I continue to think that GT6 has reached 4-5 million worldwide since 6 December 2015.

After that it has sold less than GT5 or others episode, I'm not surprised:

- Even numbers always sells less than the odd number.
- GT6 came out after the PS4 who have an unexpected success. It must be the only game exceeded 1 million.
- Many have hoped for a remastered and haven't bought GT6.
You're surprised, yet not? :confused:

More things to add to the list:

- People moved on to different platforms (PC, PS4).
- People disappointed after GT5 and GT6 lacking a lot of features that were present in GT5.
- People waiting for features advertised on the box to actually appear.

Real number only they can tell but it means digital sales are still going for it. No other racing game on that list and some big title like COD, GTA5 were obvious. Physical copies vgchartz has an estimate which is 3.19million http://www.vgchartz.com/game/72181/gran-turismo-6/

Estimate. Versus a figure provided to the courts. Is that really the approach you'd like to take? That's even ignoring that even if the 3.19 figure was accurate, it'd still be far and away the worst-selling full GT game (over a million less than GT PSP as well).

The only thing that PSN list tells us is that those games have sold some amount of copies. It could be a couple thousand. It could be a few dozen. A game selling well comparatively is very different from a game selling well absolutely.

And being 9th on an obsolete platform is nothing to brag about. The truth is what many had predicted already: PD bet on the wrong horse by staying on the old platform and splitting up their developer pool across two platforms. They could have had a title out on PS4 earlier, but now the bar has been set by sims like Project CARS. The upcoming Assetto Corsa will at least match that and possibly raise it further. Then there's games like Driveclub that have set graphical standards. People are going to expect a lot more from PD now, and they're already playing catch-up (and with their track record, that's a really bad thing). Not even mentioning competing platforms.

I don't understand how you can say this when they have shown us they don't have a clue what they're doing for the past five (!) years. They're a ship where the captain has no clue where he's going, there's no focus whatsoever.

You're surprised, yet not? :confused:

More things to add to the list:

- People moved on to different platforms (PC, PS4).
- People disappointed after GT5 and GT6 lacking a lot of features that were present in GT5.
- People waiting for features advertised on the box to actually appear.
I know what you mean, yet it doesn't change the era we're in.
PS3 was aggressive all those years for it to bow down with the PS4?

Fact: Most Devs no longer support last gen consoles now.

That is faster than the previous gen, and PS3 to PS4 has less difference in spec than PS2 to PS3. Let that sink for a minute.

Fact: Most Devs no longer support last gen consoles now.

That is faster than the previous gen, and PS3 to PS4 has less difference in spec than PS2 to PS3. Let that sink for a minute.
my draft got wiped off tsysydycycgxtc

I understand what you're telling me. I can't buy it though.
and sleep deprivation got the better of me on this damn phone and now I can't remember what the hell I was posting before this. thanks. thank you, soooooo much lol

umm
Uhh ps is good. you happy now?

and I quoted myself, isn't that dandy?

ugh my eyes hurt

It's a short sentence, you could read it carefully.

I did, and why should they have to exclusively verify when court proceedings like this are public record, in reality the matter I pose is quite simplistic.

Other news outlets will certainly try to verify with Sony

- Confirming means = 2.37 is from June 2015.
- Denying means = they can just deny and not offer any more information.
- Correcting means = Offering information in case it is wrong for current date.

As stated above why? All that matters is the 2.37 as of to date from the court proceedings show the game at 2.37 it's not some magical number plucked from the aether. They can deny that's fine but 2.37 is the number that will last be left with and then others will try to speculate and extrapolate when the game comes to a full end one what the final sales number was. If it's wrong to current date or when the court wanted the most recent number to that point, then they have bigger issues. The number most likely didn't fluctuate a ton if this is what the check point is after a yeah and a half. Nor should you expect some influx to sway it either way.

And I'll just quote my post above to save me time:

If you read it doesn't show when or if the court of Northern California (or NJ) petitioned sales data (because the above is not the complaint document). This data could be from after the complaint was filled for the first time in the end of July, 2014 up to when the amendment was made, which is June 1st of this year.

Whoever had access to the documents could check the page 28 of the first amended complaint in its full, and check the date and source. It's more precise information, it's journalism.

Why would it need to show when they petitioned obviously the matter formulated over the past year and August is the most to date of the info provided, and thus it had to be some time recently with in this year. And since this type of litigation is a money matter, it could easily be said that if the company suing wins they'll be asking for a monetary reconciliation from the time judgement settled. Thus this number should be as close to date as Sony/PD can get it. The problem here is you don't think I read it (when I did) and I'm just telling you that the reality is these numbers are probably close to what current tally shows because the documentation has to be in check.

Last edited:
Estimate. Versus a figure provided to the courts. Is that really the approach you'd like to take? That's even ignoring that even if the 3.19 figure was accurate, it'd still be far and away the worst-selling full GT game (over a million less than GT PSP as well).

The only thing that PSN list tells us is that those games have sold some amount of copies. It could be a couple thousand. It could be a few dozen. A game selling well comparatively is very different from a game selling well absolutely.

Do we have proper details about the figure provided to the court ? Like region, duration etc ? I am sure someday they will update it on their site. Whatever it may be: http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html

I will be really surprised if it less than 4million TBH. Considering DC has sold 2million on PS4
https://www.vg247.com/2015/08/03/driveclub-sales-surpass-2-million-units/

IMHO GT6 on PS3 was the right thing to do and not to ditch the PS3 players. But PS4 was releasing during that time and there was too much hype for it. That probably did not help and people think PS4 will get the big upgrade so they might as well wait.

Sheesh. Those are worse than even I expected. Wonder if Sony might have actually lost money on it.

With the series selling over 72 million, and you really think Sony might have lost money?

Most assets in GT6 were developed for GT5, and a lot of GT6 will roll over to GT7. Suggesting GT6 may have lost money is quite a narrow view.

I doubt any game has made more money for Sony than GT has across 3 generations of console.

With the series selling over 72 million, and you really think Sony might have lost money?
GT6 sold 72 million copies?

I doubt any game has made more money for Sony than GT has across 3 generations of console.
GT6 was sold across 3 generations of consoles?

I mean, I know how often you resort to randomly stringing together whatever sentences you can to try and pretend you have a point, but at least read the thread title.

Most assets in GT6 were developed for GT5, and a lot of GT6 will roll over to GT7
Yes, that's exactly how game development works. They did most of the work for GT6 before 2010, and they've just been spreading it out since then. All of the actual programming tasks and advancements and post release support and new features simply willed themselves into existence.

And since by volume most of GT5 and GT6 assets were done before GT4 released, GT5 didn't cost anything either. The 60 million dollars for that mostly went to hookers and blow.

Suggesting GT6 may have lost money is quite a narrow view.
Nope. Seems like a AAA game that was in development for 2+ years and has had a pretty thorough amount of post release support (which in theory isn't even complete yet) possibly losing money when it sold 1/4th of its predecessor could be a perfectly valid conclusion to make.

It helps that I wasn't even doing that much, and simply wondering aloud whether it might have.

Last edited:
Damn! GT6 flopped real hard with those numbers, especially after massively disappointing fans from around the globe with GT5 and releasing GT6 on an last gen RIGHT AFTER the next gen consoles released. That's gotta be the worse selling GT title yet.

Makes you wonder what will be the point of PD developing GT7 then, because the current games in the racing genre has really set the bar REAL high now. PD can't afford to screw up this time, but something tells me they would after GT5/6.

GT6 sold 72 million copies?

GT6 was sold across 3 generations of consoles?

I mean, I know how often you resort to randomly stringing together whatever sentences you can to try and pretend you have a point, but at least read the thread title.

Yes, that's exactly how game development works. They did most of the work for GT6 before 2010, and they've just been spreading it out since then. All of the actual programming tasks and advancements and post release support and new features simply willed themselves into existence.

And since by volume most of GT5 and GT6 assets were done before GT4 released, GT5 didn't cost anything either. The 60 million dollars for that mostly went to hookers and blow.

Key word you neglected was series. Look it up.

Hookers and blow sounds very American, you're probably confused with Forza Horizon.
PD is Japanese, much more refined, more like geisha bars and saki.

Huh, I was expecting maybe 4 million. I wonder how other racing games are doing comparatively, snice some like to say the whole racing genre is falling. Not an excuse for poor sales, but perhaps a contributing factor.

Back