GT6 Sales Discussion

GT6 will be online shorter after the release of GT7 the more GT7 flops. In meantime PS4 will have great games (GTA V is more than enough to me to buy PS4). But for me GT7 will take lots of time to make and GT6 will improve and bring back missing features from older GTs

I'm going to wait for the Super Slim PS4 and for GT7 to be released I don't see much point of going back to GT6.

It would be nice if i could have all my GT5 cars on GT6.

I don't know but GT6 is less filler to me. It has everything that's important and way more race variety. I'm bored of GT5 BSpec mode a lot and some special challenges are very hard yet too easy. But I really adore the premium dealership because the premium car list is way more balanced. GT6 has way better physics and better tracks. And it has Diablo GT!

Assuming ~4,000,000 sales, that means that at least 3.2% of the people that bought it are still playing. You could be really generous and say that the real number is probably somewhere below 5%.

I'm not sure if that's high or low. Probably not that high really, considering that it includes all the people like me who put it in, downloaded the update, tried the cars and then put the disc back in the cupboard.

Same here, I started logging in last Wednesday so I now have my bonus. Today I will get on and get the cars and then it goes back on the shelf until the next update while I go back to GAS and F1. I'm not sure that should be considered "still playing the game".

Assuming ~4,000,000 sales, that means that at least 3.2% of the people that bought it are still playing.

Well specifically it means ~3.2% of players have tried the Chaparral 2X event (and gone faster than sirjim73 :P ) within 4 days of it going live. Which is definitely not the same as "still playing". Not that that proves it isn't a small number, it's just I think it's very hard to judge the absolute number of active players by stuff like the rankings board. And even harder to say how a number would compare to user dropoff of other racing games, because we simply don't know (or at least I don't know of any developer reporting active user figures for a game 1 year after release).

All you need do is complete a lap for the VGTs.
You could run the rail the whole lap if you want to.
It doesn't have to be 'valid'.
Some will persist and post a valid time, others will do one lap, get the car, and leave it at that.

So even if you wait until 5 minutes before they remove the event from the list, the ranking of the slowest time is still no inidator as to how many people ran the event.

All you need do is complete a lap for the VGTs.
You could run the rail the whole lap if you want to.
It doesn't have to be 'valid'.
Some will persist and post a valid time, others will do one lap, get the car, and leave it at that.

So even if you wait until 5 minutes before they remove the event from the list, the ranking of the slowest time is still no inidator as to how many people ran the event.
But it would be an indicator of how many people cared enough about the car/event/game to run a valid lap.

We missed the opportunity to see how many records there were for the Aston Martin VGT seasonal, since PD released download figures for that update.

Here's some numbers.

Finale post in this "series"

GT6 demo had 1mln downloads and the number of participants of GTA round one was 565k.

Aston Martin VGT (let's not forget about the size of the patch containing it!) was supposedly downloaded 2.5 mln times yet after 7 days we had only 144k entries.

For the reference BMW VGT seas. had 146k entries after only 5 days - more than the Aston with few 100k lower sales of GT6.

VGT seas. and GTA in GT6 share one thing in common - high reward and high number of entries.

GTA R. 1 in GT6 had 224k entries after 14 days - that's from an active player base larger than current one.

If 1mln demo downloads resulted in 565k entries on GTA R.1 why 2.5mln resulted in less than a half ?

Because when GTA was made available in GT6 the active player base was smaller than the one of GT6 demo which had 1mln downloads.

Regular seasonals shortly after launch of GT6 had around 500k entries for 2mln sales. Considering that GTA in GT6 had nearly 2x the amount of entries than a regular seasonal the numbers of the demo are not an anomaly and can be used to calculate the amount of downloads of patch that included the Aston.

With a hefty margin of error but more than good enough to have serious doubts about the "2.5 mln downloads" - no matter what they meant by that.

When GTA R.1 on GT6 was held it had around 2x entries than a regular seasonal (100k).

BMW VGT seasonal was available when GTA was launched and they both had very similar amount of entries after 14 days - 224k for GTA and 215k for BMW.

1mln active "fresh" players = 565k entries on GTA and (if there would be by then) 500k entries on a VGT seas.

GT6 GTA R.1 had 224k entries after 14 days and let's round it up to 250k total. That's from 2.3mln sales back then but already a much lower active player base than those of the demo.

BMW VGT seas. reached 215k entries total. Aston maybe reached 200k.

So 1mln downloaded the game = 556k GTA entries,

Yet 2.5 mln downloaded the patch = 200k entries when as we saw with BMW and GTA R.1 both types of events share similar amount of entries.

Right...

In reality the numbers are like that:

500-600k downloaded the patch = 200k entries on the seasonal. 1mln is being super-mega-hyper-generous and 2.5mln is just pure BS.

Here's some numbers.
Nice, thanks.

I note that assumes the same proportion of people downloading contribute to valid online rankings as the game ages. How was that rationalised?

Why is the GT6 demo included, when it was free, and GT6 was still anticipated at the time of its release? Also, the only way to play the demo was online time trials.
EDIT: that was the previous GTA, I think. The GT6 demo was still severely limited by comparison with the full game.

Last edited:
So why didn't you wait? :D
Just a guess, but he probably didn't think it would take more than 13 months for the game to be finished and with what is arguably the most sought after feature of all, the course maker, to be the last to be delivered. And 13 months down the road and no delivery date in sight. You know, the usual. :D

It's a bit of an old thread, so I've merged it. I imagine this will get quite a lot of discussion over the next couple days.

2.3 mil in sales is pathetic to say the least for a AAA title, but then again that's what you get when you:

1) keep giving us cars we never asked for
2) have no open communication whatsoever with the fanbase
3) lie about actual content in the box at launch

You reap what you sow Kaz!!!

2.3 mil in sales is pathetic to say the least for a AAA title, but then again that's what you get when you:

1) keep giving us cars we never asked for
2) have no open communication whatsoever with the fanbase
3) lie about actual content in the box at launch

You reap what you sow Kaz!!!

Well not really. For as a game in the series,it holds up poorly yes,but not far as disasterous.

1) That is subjective.

2) Poor communication,agreed.

3) Agreed.

It might look bad, but sales of racing games have been declining on the PS3 once the PS4 was out. Case in point, Race Driver Grid (PS3 release title) sold 1.10 million. Grid Autosport (released after PS4) only sold an abysmal 0.17 million. That's an 85% decrease. GT5 sold 10.6 to GT6 only selling 2.37 represents a decrease of 78%. So not too bad and it's to be expected when most people have moved on to next gen or are not interested in games for an aging console anymore.

I too thought of that when we discovered this news. My only thought is that the figure in the Aston article might refer to PSN accounts that had been active with the 1.10 update (with some players using multiple accounts), or that the 2.5 million number was grabbed from their servers, and might show incomplete attempts at downloading the 1.10 update.

Even before we knew this number, my guess was in the 4-5 million range, tops. Needless to say, I'm a little surprised.

Back