GTP Spec Miata Racing Series : Season 1 Complete; Season 2 Soon!

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 2,295 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's fantastic man! Hmmm, now is there any way to send that to another person (Ie; me)? Lol.. I'd assume, save file to USB, USB to computer, computer to email, email to me, emailed save file to MY USB lol, and then USB to my PS3.... :lol: long breath! :)

Tonight was fun, even though once again a lap one mishap relegated me to the back. I had fun back there though racing with Apradel. I'd pass him, spin out and get passed and pass him again. The draft was definitely my friend, especially when I caught the tenth place car. Can't wait til next week.

Yes, really fun. You are quicker, but I found I can battle a little closing the dors and trying to avoid mistakes. Sometimes really close driving. But really you deserve the position.👍

For some reason, I have dug myself a hole to climb out of in both races. :dunce: First with a spin, then with a poor showing at qualifying.

Yes, it was a real battle in the back of room A. I knew my only chance was to break free of the pack, but figured I needed a partner to do it with. Thought Turbo and I would be able to do so at one point, but that didn't work out. So, I knew I had to break away just enough to catch the 4th place car we were slowly gaining on. I was hoping he and I could work together.

I was lucky enough to get within drafting distance on the main straight finally, made the pass, and he tucked in right behind me. I was wondering if he was going to go for the pass back on the main straight, but he utilized the bump draft, so I knew we were good to go. 👍 He must have had a mishap in turn 1, though, as I put distance on him and the rest of the group that next lap. At that point, I just hoped there would be enough battling to let me break free, and get some quick laps in.

I knew I wasn't going to catch the front guys, as they were obviously working together. So I just went about running a pace I thought was quick enough to stay out ahead of the back group, but safe enough to keep me in 4th. Had two instances where I dropped a wheel, and almost paid for it, that lead me to that conclusion. LOL! :sly:

Thought Turbo and I would be able to do so at one point, but that didn't work out.

I tried man, I tried. Every time I got out in front, I was passed again on the straightaway, or bumped mid corner and taken advantage of. :lol:

I was in last a couple times, once when I just gave up and let everyone go by. I'm really going to work on my Tsukuba setup this week. I WANT that win. 👍

Edit: Another reason I think Mics should be used during the race is communication. I could have told everyone to line up and help each other instead of what happened...

Edit #2: What does everyone think about the qualifying procedure? Keep? Dump?

Last edited:
I liked the qualifying procedure.

That's exactly why mics SHOULDN'T be used during race. It's not like you can yell instructions out the window to your opposition in real life. Either people understand what you're trying to do, or they don't. The proper time to talk about it is pre and post race.

I suspect I set the tone for much of the aggressive driving. I'm simply unaccustomed to racing with people who are such a close match, I've trained myself in public lobbies where most people are slower and so getting past at all costs is usually the prime tactic. That style of racing here is disadvantaging both myself and my opponents, so I'm certainly going to be rethinking how I approach some situations going into next week.

Edit: Another reason I think Mics should be used during the race is communication. I could have told everyone to line up and help each other instead of what happened...
Ok, I've read enough.

Qualifying system is great. Only in my case I ended up 17 seconds faster in race laps than my quali lap :-P lol. Regardless of that I thought it is very fair. Good job with it Turbo.

However im not convinced with how we manually have to set up the grid and rely on everyone to pace perfectly on the parade lap. We will get better at it in time but its flawed as of now.

Ok, I've read enough.

??

However im not convinced with how we manually have to set up the grid and rely on everyone to pace perfectly on the parade lap. We will get better at it in time but its flawed as of now.

Group A just lined up outside the pits and started. As long as everyone it ready to go, doesn't take much time.

I too love the qualifying.

It insures that people work hard each week to get their times up to par instead of just waisting countless hours/days at the begining of the season and half assing it the rest of the way.

For some reason, I have dug myself a hole to climb out of in both races. :dunce: First with a spin, then with a poor showing at qualifying.

Yes, it was a real battle in the back of room A. I knew my only chance was to break free of the pack, but figured I needed a partner to do it with. Thought Turbo and I would be able to do so at one point, but that didn't work out. So, I knew I had to break away just enough to catch the 4th place car we were slowly gaining on. I was hoping he and I could work together.

I was lucky enough to get within drafting distance on the main straight finally, made the pass, and he tucked in right behind me. I was wondering if he was going to go for the pass back on the main straight, but he utilized the bump draft, so I knew we were good to go. 👍 He must have had a mishap in turn 1, though, as I put distance on him and the rest of the group that next lap. At that point, I just hoped there would be enough battling to let me break free, and get some quick laps in.

I knew I wasn't going to catch the front guys, as they were obviously working together. So I just went about running a pace I thought was quick enough to stay out ahead of the back group, but safe enough to keep me in 4th. Had two instances where I dropped a wheel, and almost paid for it, that lead me to that conclusion. LOL! :sly:

I had planned on trying to work with you to try to gain some ground on the lead pack but dipped an outside wheel entering T4 and it threw me off the pace enough to not hang with you, my tires were just starting to off a little bit which didn't either.

I thought the new qualifying procedure was great, took a little time to run through but seemed to run smoothly.

The only issue I had was the start of the race, I'm curious if anyone else had the issues as well. When we started the race in group A and the countdown timer hit 0 my screen went totally black and the grid view never popped up, no 3-2-1 countdown or sound or response from my pedals or wheel. My screen flashed back up just after the race went green and the entire field sailed on by.:irked:

Edit: Another reason I think Mics should be used during the race is communication.
As I mentioned during qualifying mics should definitely be enabled (IMO they should be required) and just make sure to use them for proper communication. During practice runs etc, talking is fine... but when someone is running a qualifying lap and everyone is watching keep quiet. Also; reduce chatter to a minimum during racing and only use it to let someone know you're going to pass, or when pitting, or if you've had an off, etc.
Edit #2: What does everyone think about the qualifying procedure? Keep? Dump?
What I was confused about was why you restricted A to only the top 10 people.
There was 14 in B... and that's even after having 2 no shows. What happened to even rooms?

Don't get me wrong here; it was great to have a win, but at the same time it was bittersweet. I felt very out of place, finishing about 20 seconds ahead of 2nd place. At least now I know what it feels like to be EL_Z, but certainly it must have been pretty disparaging to some people to see a constantly increasing number every time they cross a checkpoint (something I have also experienced at the hand of EL_Z). Also, I felt like were I able to race in Group A I might have placed mid pack, and therefore I'd have earned more points. So I understand what you were getting at before by saying that the winner of B would feel robbed (thus the reason you had two sets of points to begin with).

This is not a huge problem, as that's where I qualified and I had to make the best of it... but again; it seems as if the better solution is to limit the series to the maximum number a race can handle (and just hope that by some miracle update we can get a bump to 32 racers on track). Something to consider for season 2.

There was 14 in B... and that's even after having 2 no shows. What happened to even rooms?

Remember my qualifying list? I had 10 people in A, and 11 people in B. Somewhere along the line before the race I guess we had some extra people show up that didn't qualify. You don't qualify, you start in the back. (rear of Group B) That's how it got un-even. ;)

Edit: and I understand about your wanting to be in Group A. Problem here is we are setting the rooms based on qualifying times. If you qualify poorly, then you'll end up in Group B. That goes for EL_Z as well, or any of the other front runners. (including me) This is also the reason why I am restricting season 2 to one room. You don't qualify in the top 16, you don't race until next week. This two room thing is just not working at all.

Edit #2: I'm also going to restrict season 2 down to people who can commit to the whole series. We had so many people not show yesterday. It's a good thing we had a few who raced for the first time to help fill the void. I forgot about football playoffs (since I don't care for it) which I think was the issue with the no-shows.

Last edited:
Remember my qualifying list? I had 10 people in A, and 11 people in B. Somewhere along the line before the race I guess we had some extra people show up that didn't qualify. You don't qualify, you start in the back. (rear of Group B) That's how it got un-even. ;)
Understandable, of course. Can I request that next race has a larger Group A in anticipation of these late comers to fill up B? :)

Just think; if we hadn't had two no-shows the room would have been full. Then what would happen if there were any other late comers?

Tough sh..? Better luck next week, try to show up earlier? Seems wrong to shun them when Group A has the slots for 6 more racers in that room.

We can do that, bump people into A at the last minute. Yesterday for me as a complete cluster. With qualifying, late comers, connection problems, etc. Have to get people to switch rooms only adds to the confusion last minute.

I can definitely understand that. I felt like (even though the qualifying seemed better) yesterday went worse than the first 2 races. It was far more confusing.

And as far as bumping people into A last minute, why even bother? Why not fill A with the top 16 and everyone else in B? The heck with all this 'even rooms' mess.

True, but based on the qualifying numbers yesterday if we only had that many people, then the rooms would be completely one-sided. Full room A, a few people in B. Where's the fun in racing a few other people for 25 laps? Assuming they are the same speed as you and don't just run away.

I think with two races left and the fact that we already know what is happening for next season, we should just ride it out for now.

Edit: Changed my mind. We'll do it your way. Better points awarded that way.

That could be true, too. So here's an idea I just thought of... how about a simple equation if there are more than 16 qualifiers? 2A=B. Certainly 16 in one room and 2 in B would not work that great. If only 18 qualify then you have 12 A / 6 B. 20 qualifiers? Add 1 to each: 13 A / 7 B. That way you can always have a nice full-ish active A room and plenty of late comer spots in B.

I don't want to set anything in stone just yet. The decision will really come at the moment we know how many qualifiers we have before the race. Obviously we are still splitting it, I just need to add more weight to Group A.

Honestly I didn't know Group B was going to have so many people. Surprised me as well when I saw the results posted. I was only expecting 11 people, since that's how I split it after qualifying.

I think popping your headlights up should mean "I'm gonna bump draft you"

We could all learn morse code, and communicate by tooting. :lol:

Flashing headlights is usually the signal for coming through yeah? Honking the horn could work.

I don't hear the horns ever. I'm usually listening to music so that could be partly why.

I captured myself kind of going throug the group A replay. It doesn't have everything exciting that happened. Just some of the higlights that I knew of. I'll make one more with live timing and maybe mix it up a bit more next time. I did it rigt before work. But it looks good and fun. It also got my custom soundtrack mixed in quite well as to not overpowere the awesome clashes and revving engines.

That's some damn good, clean racing, boys!!!! 👍

VERY nice!!! :D Thanks for the upload Wardez! :)

EDIT: Ps, great choice of music, too! Queens of the Stone Age!!! 👍

Haha, no biggie dude!! 👍 that'd be friggin awesome! :)
Take your time, believe me, no rush... Haha, just want to review it, to make some improvements on my OLR skills/lack thereof.. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back