GTP_WRS (GT5) Week 78 : London Olympic Time Trials

• Thread starter EDK
  • 234 comments
Thanks guys, that helped alot with the lap time. Had to find some new breaking point.

So new splits. Not a big difference there.

Still can't figure out what i'm doing wrong in T2. Any tips? Keep seeing .1xx or worse there. Really need to find a couple of tenths there.

I've had better T1's that are competitive, my splits are probably deceiving. Lots of London laps for me, I would bet my overall lap is quite competitive. ;)

I'm keeping the car in 4th for the left part of the switch back after T1, with just a very slight lift (maintain probably 90% throttle) to make the corner as close to the wall as possible to set up for the right hand switch. I downshift the car into 3rd with a lift and a dab of the brake, and then floor it immediately and hope for the best for the right hand turn.

Round right hand turn, harder braking at the 50 meter sign, 75% or so, I use second to get in close to the wall, although I imagine 3rd would be a strong advantage to carry more momentum AND keep the back end from stepping out. It's important to make the apex as close to the wall as possible, and I just have not had luck yet in slowing the car quickly enough in 3rd to do that. This might need to be a shift trick corner, flick to 2nd to get in, immediately up to 3rd to power out. Main thing is to brake on time and slow enough to actually make the apex so you can be back on full throttle as soon as you see the Norwegian flag on the right come into view.

The thoughts I have so far on this combo can be summed up with:

http://[domain blocked due to malware]/instances/400x/24473183.jpg

http://[domain blocked due to malware]/instances/400x/24473241.jpg

Seen a few 28.8s but it's a tough lap to do at 100% commitment without crashing or running wide.

Excellent combo! - brings back memories of 2 great WRS arcade events in the Mini and TVR - won't be long before I'm fumbling though :lol:

Roomboter
Still can't figure out what i'm doing wrong in T2. Any tips? Keep seeing .1xx or worse there. Really need to find a couple of tenths there.

If you do T1s like that then I'm not giving any tips! :lol:

Last edited:
Found some improvement here and there, still some time to be found I guess;

:) @Mike : Was able to just pass you with three tousands on the second split. Don't know for sure if my last sector will match up...

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification Gooner. Last splits for the day.

Last edited:
EDK
I've had better T1's that are competitive, my splits are probably deceiving. Lots of London laps for me, I would bet my overall lap is quite competitive. ;)

I'm keeping the car in 4th for the left part of the switch back after T1, with just a very slight lift (maintain probably 90% throttle) to make the corner as close to the wall as possible to set up for the right hand switch. I downshift the car into 3rd with a lift and a dab of the brake, and then floor it immediately and hope for the best for the right hand turn.

Round right hand turn, harder braking at the 50 meter sign, 75% or so, I use second to get in close to the wall, although I imagine 3rd would be a strong advantage to carry more momentum AND keep the back end from stepping out. It's important to make the apex as close to the wall as possible, and I just have not had luck yet in slowing the car quickly enough in 3rd to do that. This might need to be a shift trick corner, flick to 2nd to get in, immediately up to 3rd to power out. Main thing is to brake on time and slow enough to actually make the apex so you can be back on full throttle as soon as you see the Norwegian flag on the right come into view.

Thanks

First part of T2 i do exacly like you say, hopefully fast enough. If that's the case, i loose it in that last long right hander of T2. Think i need more roll in the car, my back kicks out most if the time. Just had diner. Now back to london, for some more laps

By the way T3 counts more turns than the rest of the track. Like you said before Kev. T3 is gonna make the diffrence. Just like Fuji.

millross
If you do T1s like that then I'm not giving any tips! :lol:

:lol:

No worries, it's not happing every lap. This is one of the fastest so far. Maybe we can combine our 2 spilts :lol:

Such a fun combo, such a short track aswell that makes it even more fun.

Still abit scruffy in some corners with lots to improve in the first corners and the long right hander, just got to keep at it until I get a lap where I don't touch the barriers after doing the other corners perfectly ;) .

Anyone using 1st gear at all for turn 1? Seems slower to me if you do, but in the event here in the Tamora, it worked a treat.

Sector 2 - important to stay wide right for the left-right flick. If you are too far right for the right-hander you will always hit the wall. If you're more than 6 inches from either of the 3 walls (left-side, right-side and left-side exit) then you were too conservative :) - It's safe to flick to 3rd gear but you'll invariably drop to 86mph or so - you can take it through with a minimum of 90 if the line is right and stay in 4th, but it's tricky and even trickier to brake for the next turn.

I use 2nd gear on the final turn for T2 to pull the car down and avoid running wide - the road opens out but it's not faster to drive off in a straight line and use all that road - as Kevin said you have to hug the inside.

2nd gear for every turn in T3, but only very briefly for the last turn - the most important turn for starting and finishing laps. Jump all the curbs evenly - 85% throttle on exits over curbs under heavy steering-lock or you'll sacrifice stability

SF Speed: 106/107 - perhaps even 108.

Using 5/7 BB ABS1 and I'm jumping between Mild, Strong and Off active steering - Strong means you can be sloppier on the throttle so I end up turning it on towards the end of a session when my mind is going a bit ragged or I'm raging at Armco.

Anyone using 1st gear at all for turn 1? Seems slower to me if you do, but in the event here in the Tamora, it worked a treat.

I think you lose too much momentum through the apex in 1st - it turns in quicker but it hinders the exit too much. I'm taking it in 2nd and am getting low .8s and high .7s most times in sector 1.

I'm taking the S in sector 2 in 4th to keep up momentum but am only making it 1 in 4 times without hitting the barrier on the exit. The long hairpin can be done in 3rd but you have to be in tight to make it work. Turning in is easier in 2nd and can work if you get on the throttle very early in the bend - again, being tight to the barrier is key. Same as you through sector 3 - bravery with the barriers is paramount.

Looking for about 0.2 on the lap at the moment based on best sectors.

Ah, its good to see that I can still be competitive, I wasn't sure after struggling with last week's combo.

Still some work to do in the t2 esses.

Ah, its good to see that I can still be competitive, I wasn't sure after struggling with last week's combo.

Still some work to do in the t2 esses.

Holy moly, what's in your Cheerios?

I know your are quick, but sure you don't have SRF on?

Looking at the Leaderboard for this weeks callenge is quite intimidating. It seems that there isn't any room for mistakes. Haven't figured out T1 as well as the rest of you, and as for T2 I might be lifting off the throttle too much.

I don't often get time through the week to run the PS3, so i will usually be a late poster of splits, but i really enjoyed the combo for the 30 mins i ran last night. So will try and get some laps in during the week, as my quick posted times look rather shabby now everyone has started running hard.

This is fun ... but those couple corners...aah so difficult to get them right.

I went back to 1st gear for the first corner with the splits in the board. I use 1st gear to slow the car down make it turn in. Moment i go back om the throttle i shift up to 2nd. By the way. Does everbody cut that first corner?

Last night i die another stint for some practice for T2 and managed à couple of .9xx's. So à bit of hope there. Now i have to put it al together in 1 lap, that's the hardest part. Looking for about .3xx in the lap.

Thanks for everbodies tip to get T2 right.

EDK
Holy moly, what's in your Cheerios?

I know your are quick, but sure you don't have SRF on?

Ya, I've never turned srf on once so it shouldn't be on now, and those splits don't seem that unreasonable.

Ya, I've never turned srf on once so it shouldn't be on now, and those splits don't seem that unreasonable.

Fair enough, just seemed like a hot start, straight to the top of D2 on the board. Well done. 👍

T1: 13.708
T2: 14.890
This will be battled to the thousands..

Nice starts James and Chris.👍

Ran some just for the heck of it laps. Havent felt well for awhile now. Not sure if Ill get to do more sessions and try to get ultra D2 serious or not but this one was fun.

First splits, not too good... But I'm better in T3 than T2!

Edit: blew T1 on this lap, but T2 is comin along.

Last edited:
happy to have a TT without any tuning coming into play :)

Quick first go with these times;
T1:13.939
T2:15.103

Last edited:
good combo!! :)

new splits:

I'd rather not see people getting in this habit of stealth split updates.

If no other drivers post and the only thing you have to add are new splits, just do it like this.

xx.xxx
xx.xxx

EDIT :

xx.xxx
xx.xxx

But don't edit a post that's more than 24 hours old to put in new splits. I know the leaderboard is there and it theoretically keeps things tidy, but everyone should be more transparent and straightforward when finding new speed.

I've addressed this with some other drivers in private, but am posting here for the benefit of all, so that they understand our stance on this.

Please don't take this as being singled out, but more as a clarification of our expectations for all participants.

EDK
I'd rather not see people getting in this habit of stealth split updates.

If no other drivers post and the only thing you have to add are new splits, just do it like this.

xx.xxx
xx.xxx

EDIT :

xx.xxx
xx.xxx

But don't edit a post that's more than 24 hours old to put in new splits. I know the leaderboard is there and it theoretically keeps things tidy, but everyone should be more transparent and straightforward when finding new speed.

I've addressed this with some other drivers in private, but am posting here for the benefit of all, so that they understand our stance on this.

Please don't take this as being singled out, but more as a clarification of our expectations for all participants.

I'll plead guilty to having done this in my last set but the iPad app doesn't make it easy/possible to do a strike-through edit.

Loving this course, much better times and still lots of room for improvement. That flick right however is pretty much just luck getting it right.

I'll plead guilty to having done this in my last set but the iPad app doesn't make it easy/possible to do a strike-through edit.

I do it all the time. Just go to advanced edit, highlight the text and click the strike through icon.

Sent from my iPad.

Even if you just need to clear out the old splits when editing a post, that's fine. Just note the edit in the post.

My point is, if any other member posts before you need to update your splits, just make a new post. Don't go to one that's 3 pages back in the thread and update your splits.

Back