[GUIDE] Make the most of the GT5 Camera v2.1

• Thread starter gtsomething
  • 209 comments
Good job and the detail!!!! You put a lot of work into this and for those who know little about photography can use this guide and easily create great picks. It took me a long time to get my head around apertures when i was learning photography, small aperture # equals wide aperture and less depth of field etc. For the thirds you explained it fairy well. The reason they use thirds is to do with us having two eyes in our head scanning the picture. Just put the middle of first thing you want people to see in the third lines intersects. I see in one of your photos you could have moved the car up a little and centred the intersect in the middle of the car and improved the shot yet again. All in all you have done a fantastic job and probably inspired a few to take up photography.

Great work gtsomething! ("real" hobby photographer here too :sly:)

I just want to emphasise on panning mode 2 & 3.

You stated that the mode 3 is a perfect following of the car and mode 2 between mode 1 (which is more a zoom burst effect combined with a weak panning technic) and mode 3. I think you're right about mode 1 and mode 3 but mode 2, until last days, was still kind of mystery to me as I didn't saw major difference with mode 3.

But lately I posted this pic in the realistic thread:

One of the comments said somehow it was unreal because of the movement's capture. I agree: you can see that the panning effect shows a slight circular movement due to the fact that the car is turning and gets closer to the camera. Irl it's pretty impossible to get this effect except if you perfectly masters zoomburst and panning on a fast subject.

Then I noticed that using the panning mode 2, you minimize, if not suppress, the circular effect but keeping the nice panning effect. It pursuits the subject movement either on a lateral or on a closing camera pov instead of the mode 3 which seems to follow all subject's movements. To my feeling, Mode 3 is pretty much similar as the camera follows the subject with permanent distance (like you described it : a magical arm fixed to the car) but even predicting the future trajectory of the car.

Another example, you can see it mainly on the track texture:

So I think the mode 2 is somehow the most accurate mode to reproduce real life panning effect. Note that it’s only usefull when the car has the both movements (lateral and "vertical") like the pic presented.

On this one, I believe I used mode 2 and you can see no circular movements are displayed:

Just my thoughts as I'm not sure about it... What do you think?

Thank you for the guide. It enhanced my skills better, and it even helped me in my Journalism project! XD

totally speachless!!! I'm really looking forward on the "Good Image vs Realistic Image" section.

this is my first time doing the photomode, any comments are welcome :D

gtr_1.jpg

gtr_2.jpg

Can you give some tips on how to use the vertical shots? The ones where in real life you would tilt your camera 90 degrees?

Or rather some good uses of vertical and horizontal shots?

It sounds like a stupid/straightforward question but with respect to cars they can have different uses right?

pixelproblem.th.jpg

fullsize http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/4329/pixelproblem.jpg

alright guys i have a problem and need to fix it , i hope dolp , moglet , splitztrem, atlop, ccshaft7 , bmxmitch or any other expierenced one can help me with this or anyone else " sry" for not mentioning your name .

as you can see i have a PiXel problem , this is shot by highspeed suzuka Rain panning mod3 , f45 , brightness 4 +

how do i make a pic without these pixels ? they only appear by rain or Smoke " example - drifting or burnouts" any ideas ???

thank you very much

pixelproblem.th.jpg

fullsize http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/4329/pixelproblem.jpg

alright guys i have a problem and need to fix it , i hope dolp , moglet , splitztrem, atlop, ccshaft7 , bmxmitch or any other expierenced one can help me with this or anyone else " sry" for not mentioning your name .

as you can see i have a PiXel problem , this is shot by highspeed suzuka Rain panning mod3 , f45 , brightness 4 +

how do i make a pic without these pixels ? they only appear by rain or Smoke " example - drifting or burnouts" any ideas ???

thank you very much

This could possibly help you :P

thanks for the advice man you obviously know you stuff. i like an artistic touch with my photos and this tutorial helped me alot with improving them. arigato.

Epic post you got there mate. Thanks alot for the help on the 1st post (wich is an epic one) that helped me alot with my photos. 👍:)

The great GT something you are truly awesome as is your post. I've called myself a semi-pro photog for that past 13 years and I can tell you that your explanations and walkthroughs are absolutely spot on. Great Work!!!

Fantastic guide and incredibly well written, I know a bit about photography and own a bridge camera, dont do much photo work in GT5 but once spec II comes out and replays can be controlled ill be much happier to take photos of something neat that happened during the race

Very very helpful. I have a bit of photography passion, constrained by budget and family commitments. I have enjoyed reading your guide, and thank you so much for taking the time to write it. 10/10.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeey, I appreciate the appreciation guys, thanks.

I just did a minor update of... reading over the text and changing a few things here and there, adding a tone mapped image, and replacing my original horrendous HDR image, and added an example of a "realistic, but not 'mind blowing woah' image", and I fixed the tilt-shift concert video link. For some reason their website removed it, but I was able to find it again on vimeo.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back