Hot Wheels and Matchbox Customizing Thread

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 9,226 comments
I like what you did there with that Hiway Hauler 2 Clocktower. 👍 If I see one again, I am tempted to customize one and put my avatar on the cargobox. :D

Many thanks for posting that! 👍 My Motorhome has really been needing it, quite badly too. Should give it an even better look. 👍

I wonder how it works on vehicles with clear plastic bodies. ;)

You guys, I think, know my method of reassembling cars after I'm done with them. WeldBond glue on the base and rivet, then paint over glue spot and rivet once dry. Well, I'm going to screws for my AE86 keychain if this happens again: I just dropped the car with less than an hour of work left to do on the car, and it broke the glue and separated everything. :irked:

A million thanks for posting this. I actually had scratching issue with my Boulevard Civic and a fogging issue with my EF. It was posted right as I was about to ask about window cleaning and scratch removal. 👍

Last edited:
ghetto style

2aexsv9.jpg

nbrr7l.jpg

2z9ksgp.jpg

vrrafk.jpg

Have you planned on finding a way to add a layer of protection to reduce wear? Stuf that goes in your pocket eventually lose inks/paints through scraping other objects.

Have you planned on finding a way to add a layer of protection to reduce wear? Stuf that goes in your pocket eventually lose inks/paints through scraping other objects.
No, although I have some Krylon clearcoat left over from a project a while ago that I think might work.

Although I won't stop you from doing it, I'm going to let you know now it's not going to work. The corners on my M3 had lost all the paint I had on it. And it was paint inside a groove too.

More layers may slow visible wear, but it still won't save it.

I'm thinking coating it in epoxy or doing an acrylic cast may do it, but that's over the top. :lol:

Although I won't stop you from doing it, I'm going to let you know now it's not going to work. The corners on my M3 had lost all the paint I had on it. And it was paint inside a groove too.

More layers may slow visible wear, but it still won't save it.

I'm thinking coating it in epoxy or doing an acrylic cast may do it, but that's over the top. :lol:
Anything that works well but cheap also?

I picked up this Vantastic at a flea market a couple of weeks ago..
vantastic.JPG

As you can see, it needs a little work. But a fun project it is! :lol:

(Sorry for bad pic, I was too lazy to get out my good camera) :boggled:

Today is a sad day. I pulled my AE86 keychain out of my pocket to find that the base had split right along the front axle groove. :banghead:

Now I'm not sure what to do. :(

Yeah I do. :lol:

On a serious note, using the car as a donor car for parts is not an option. I want to try something with it.

Well... We all know superglue fixes everything. :sly:

Edit: I've finished detailing a car today. Will post pics later.

Edit: Here are the pictures of the car I did today.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
All I did was add all the necessary detail to make the car more realistic. I didn't even have to take the car apart, since the wheels are perfect. What a difference detail makes. :D

Last edited:
Needs blacked-out tail-light panel, but otherwise good stuff 👍

Now, I recently realized we have been posting stuff at Custom Diecast México without posting it in here, so in the next few days I'll be posting the recent cars that haven't made it over here, starting with this 1955 Chevy gasser, which is the twin car for the golden car that made the rounds a year ago or so:

http://www.customdiecastmexico.com/2014/02/hot-wheels-55-chevy-70s-street-freak.html
12380578195_e5c16d61c6_o.jpg

More to come of course!

Needs blacked-out tail-light panel, but otherwise good stuff 👍

I was thinking about a blacked out panel, since I screwed up and got sliver paint on the panel, which I don't feel like trying to fix. And I still need to paint the hoodscoops black yet.

Does anyone know where I can get c02? I need it for my airbrush for painting my cars. I've looked at all the stores in my area, but I've found nothing. :confused:

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I'm new to this customizing hobby but am really enjoying it.
Here's my first of a Jeep.

20140401_204125.jpg20140401_204223.jpg

I haven't managed to do the detailing besides the back brake lights with a paint marker.
Can some one Let me know what paints would be best for the grill and headlights?

Also, I like the AE86 keyring. Is there a video tutorial somewhere I could follow?

Thanks guys.

Hi everyone, I'm new to this customizing hobby but am really enjoying it.
Here's my first of a Jeep.

View attachment 136242View attachment 136243

I haven't managed to do the detailing besides the back brake lights with a paint marker.
Can some one Let me know what paints would be best for the grill and headlights?

Also, I like the AE86 keyring. Is there a video tutorial somewhere I could follow?

Thanks guys.

Looks clean. 👍 Did you repaint it?

Looks clean. 👍 Did you repaint it?

Yeah I did.
I stripped off about 95% of the paint, some areas were hard to reach.
I sprayed the interior orange and the shell gun metal Grey.

Are there any tips on how to do the decals?
Is there somewhere to buy them or are they done by yourselves?
If so, how can you judge the size to fit into these cars?

Yeah I did.
Is there somewhere to buy them or are they done by yourselves?
If so, how can you judge the size to fit into these cars?

You can buy them online but you'll just buy a decal full of brand stickers or pre-designed schemes, so I don't really recommend that, I've never used such stuff. I do the decals in Photoshop and print them in clear or white waterdecal paper (you need to judge which one you need for what, as you cannot print the color white, there isn't such a thing as white ink), wich you can buy at hobby shops or online. Measuring the decals is one of the hardest parts to get right, you have to measure really, really carefully. Once you get the hang of it, though, you can make some pretty neat stuff.

You can search on youtube for questions like this actually. That's where I learned a good deal of things related to this hobby.

As for the others, Bare Metal Foil has the waterslide decals you can purchase at their store. Search for them online. [/color]

I finished my AE86 keychain the other day, so here are the pictures.

2dvsjh5.jpg

2rdzsjp.jpg

5yvnzr.jpg

I'm looking to do a whole series of Hot Wheels keychains, including, but not limited to, JDM cars, muscle cars, and supercars.

What kind of ring is that on the car?
It doesn't look like a normal keyring type thing, but I can't seem to find that anywhere.
Help please :D

Back