How to: Have some fun with offline racing

• Thread starter FussyFez
  • 89 comments
United Kingdom
England
I've posted this a couple of times in other threads, but I thought it might be useful to some who haven't seen my previous posts.

I am restricted to offline racing due to a lack of home internet. Because of this, I am forced to find some enjoyment on my own.

I spend alot of time drifting and hotlapping, but when I want some fun racing, I have found a little trick.

Step 1: set arcade AI temperament (aggressiveness) to 10 in the main options menu (start button at main GT screen)

Step 2: pick one of your favorite cars, I tend to go for a super GT or GT3 car.

Step 3: go to arcade race, and choose your favourite track, Bathurst or the Nordschleife 9 times out of 10 for me.

Step 4: set professional AI and laps to infinite.

Step 5: turn off all aids and set grip reduction to real, then make sure you run on the correct tyres (RH for race cars etc but drop a compound if your still finding it too easy/boring)

Step 6: start the race, fight to the front being completely clean. Once at the front, slow down the rabbit, and bunch the pack.

Step 7: drop to the back of the pack immediately, then fight to the front again, completely cleanly

Rinse and repeat.

Now, you will never win the race, as it never ends, but this also means the AI don't slow down on the last lap.

I have had some truely epic battles, with the whole pack 2-3 abrest down conrod straight.

Some of you might not think this sounds like much fun, but the AI manage a seriously respectable pace when forced into these circumstances, and for someone bound to offline, it's the best racing I have had on GT6.

Its the forcing yourself to be completely clean that creates the real challenge.

Have fun!

Last edited:
I've posted this a couple of times in other threads, but I thought it might be useful to some who haven't seen my previous posts.

I am restricted to offline racing due to a lack of home internet. Because of this, I am forced to find some enjoyment on my own.

I spend alot of time drifting and hotlapping, but when I want some fun racing, I have found a little trick.

Step 1: set arcade AI aggressiveness to 10 in the main options menu (start button at main GT screen)

Step 2: pick one of your favorite cars, I tend to go for a super GT or GT3 car.

Step 3: go to arcade race, and choose your favourite track, Bathurst or the Nordschleife 9 times out of 10 for me.

Step 4: set professional AI and laps to infinite.

Step 5: turn off all aids, and make sure you run on the correct tyres (RH for race cars etc)

Step 6: start the race, fight to the front being completely clean. Once at the front, slow down the rabbit, and bunch the pack.

Step 7: drop to the back of the pack immediately, then fight to the front again, completely cleanly

Rinse and repeat.

Now, you will never win the race, as it never ends, but this also means the AI don't slow down on the last lap.

I have had some truely epic battles, with the whole pack 2-3 abrest down conrod straight.

Some of you might not think this sounds like much fun, but the AI manage a seriously respectable pace when forced into the circumstances, and for someone bound to offline, it's the best racing I have had on GT6.

Its the forcing yourself to be completely clean that creates the real challenge.

Have fun!

Kids in bed early. I shall try that right now.

I do have to admit, Arcade mode has kept my 2 nephews busy for about an hour each time I have to babysit for them.

It also gives me an excuse to build up my supercar collection. Your method seems pretty solid so i'll give them a try tonight 👍

This is a pretty good idea.

Now if only opponent cars in Arcade would adjust according to modded cars. Right now you just get opponents that are good against a stock car, but if you upgrade your car the opponents still come from the same PP range.

I'm definitely going to try this. It would be nice if we could have larger grids and fuel consumption in arcade.
Yep, the addition of these features would help alot, plus tyre wear.

This is a pretty good idea.

Now if only opponent cars in Arcade would adjust according to modded cars. Right now you just get opponents that are good against a stock car, but if you upgrade your car the opponents still come from the same PP range.
This is why I use stock (power + tyres) race cars, I tweak the suspension and LSD, that's it. (maybe gearbox but i try not to)

can we not do one make races like in gt5? ... they provided some serious competition when things got wet and/or dark at the 'ring.
Not as far as I'm aware, only with the Redbull or FGT I think. (if you enter an arcade race, the whole grid is Redbull or fgt)

That's the sort of thing I had been doing for a long time on GT1-6, especially when the secret menu was discovered in GT5.

My only problem with it was that even if you slowed the rabbit(s) down and shuffled them into the middle of the pack, after a few corners, 1-2, sometimes 3 cars would become the new rabbits and leave the other cars behind, even in one make races. From what I've tried in GT6, the same still happens, the game always wants a rabbit or two at the front who pull away, often accelerating much faster than their car should be capable of just to achieve that gap.

I agree though, you can get get 12-14 cars to race very closely, I saved many replays in GT5 doing this with hand picked AI cars.

That's the sort of thing I had been doing for a long time on GT1-6, especially when the secret menu was discovered in GT5.

My only problem with it was that even if you slowed the rabbit(s) down and shuffled them into the middle of the pack, after a few corners, 1-2, sometimes 3 cars would become the new rabbits and leave the other cars behind, even in one make races. From what I've tried in GT6, the same still happens, the game always wants a rabbit or two at the front who pull away, often accelerating much faster than their car should be capable of just to achieve that gap.

I agree though, you can get get 12-14 cars to race very closely, I saved many replays in GT5 doing this with hand picked AI cars.
Yes, this is the only issue.

I have had races where the main rabbit will actually fight through the pack again, but normally, the front two, whichever they are, tend to bolt from the pack.

They can be very tough to catch if you make a few mistakes, it has taken me 8 laps at Bathurst in the lms ultra to catch the rabbits because of its twitchy nature, then about half a lap of blocking for the rest of the pack to catch up.

I know it's not fool proof, but I still highly recommend it.

I quite enjoy fighting through the pack, then having a few hot laps to catch the rabbit. It's like modern F1 with vettel :D

I'll have to give this a try.

Do you have any "good practice" advice for the Offline races in the game? - I tend to run woefully out gunned cars but I see the AI cars tend to start off pretty strong only to fade badly at the end. (Lower licence events anyhow)

infinite laps - Why do I have a Cake song in my head.

Most of my fun in single player is like what you said, OP. I also put custom weather and time settings, even put up more realistic physic simulations.

I remember in GT5, most of my time in Single Player was spent in Mt. Aso causing a ruckus with all the A.I. and dem jumps. Here I have toned down but the driving spirit never ceases.

I like to play a little game where I try to stay in third place for the entire race, until the final lap where I go for it. It started doing this in GT5 to collect horns and found it to be surprisingly challenging and fun! You really have to stay on your toes to not overtake second place while keeping fourth place behind you. It's great race craft practice and good experience for racing with traffic. You're not just trying for the optimum line/lap, you're reacting to a multitude of situations from one second to the next. It tends to bunch up the field too so there's always lots of cars around to battle with. 👍

I play a similar game sans the "clean" part. For all the times they try to hook my bumper when I pass or just to release stress and to be honest I do
get some guilty pleasure from wrecking the bots. :D

Hand picked AI cars? Was that part of the Secret Menu? I don remember having that. :odd:

Hand picked AI cars? Was that part of the Secret Menu? I don remember having that. :odd:

Yep, you could choose exactly what cars you wanted to appear in any arcade or GT mode race. I often mixed sports cars vs rally cars vs GT300 cars vs 125cc karts on smaller tracks, and NASCAR vs GT500 vs Touring Cars vs supercars on long fast tracks. This was limited to premium cars only though, except for your car which could be standard. It boggles the mind why it was locked away from the normal game.

I tried this last night at Autumn Ring with Pro option using no aids (abs=0). I would like to say it was worthwhile but the ai cars chosen by the game were atrociously below spec. There wasn't one car within 30pp of my car. I chose the M3 chromeline (stock). I was in the lead within a lap and had lapped 2-3 cars by half way round the 3rd lap. I slowed down to try and get them to bunch but it was such a widely spread field that it wasn't possible. I reloaded the race and got "faster" cars the next time like a Ferrari 430 but the game still made it drive like Miss Daisy. No challenge to get past all of them cleanly driving pretty conservatively within 2 laps. Why does the game insist on giving us such a widespread field? It does nothing for the quality of racing. All around the same pp would be an improvement..

I want to love playing GT6 but it's not easy. This idea is great where you can guarantee a decent field based on your car selection. Maybe a list of user car and track combinations for good racing would be a useful resource. We had something similair in GT5.

Edit: today I'll do the same race and lower the power and tyres once the race has loaded. Will use a normal M3. Even on 450pp with CM tyres the M3 Chrome is still catching an SLS

Last edited:
I tried this last night at Autumn Ring with Pro option using no aids (abs=0). I would like to say it was worthwhile but the ai cars chosen by the game were atrociously below spec. There wasn't one car within 30pp of my car. I chose the M3 chromeline (stock). I was in the lead within a lap and had lapped 2-3 cars by half way round the 3rd lap. I slowed down to try and get them to bunch but it was such a widely spread field that it wasn't possible. I reloaded the race and got "faster" cars the next time like a Ferrari 430 but the game still made it drive like Miss Daisy. No challenge to get past all of them cleanly driving pretty conservatively within 2 laps. Why does the game insist on giving us such a widespread field? It does nothing for the quality of racing. All around the same pp would be an improvement..

I want to love playing GT6 but it's not easy. This idea is great where you can guarantee a decent field based on your car selection. Maybe a list of user car and track combinations for good racing would be a useful resource. We had something similair in GT5.

Edit: today I'll do the same race and lower the power and tyres once the race has loaded. Will use a normal M3. Even on 450pp with CM tyres the M3 Chrome is still catching an SLS
Mhmm

Try it at bathurst with the LMS ultra or shuzle gt3 gtr(or any series race car with a lowish PP compared to the others)

In my GT3 races, I tend to be getting out accelerated on every straight, it's only the slip stream that helps me keep up with the 15th anniversary SLS. I was losing 3 or 4 places on conrod straight if I don't block.

Granted, it won't turn the AI into racing gods.

To be honest, I havnt tried this with road cars, only gt3 and gt500 cars.

I ended up at 53 laps of bathurst last night , after about 2 hours.

Funny thing: that's how I play GT6 (and played GT5) 90% of the time. Except all my cars are stock, and to return to the back of the pack I do a drive through the pits, which slows you down long enough to let people pass.

I like the idea of pitting to return to the back of the pack, but running at the Nur 24h, I can overtake and drop back at least twice, if not 3 or 4 times in a lap.

Dropping a tyre compound or two should make things harder for the more experienced, faster players.

Don't get me wrong people, sometimes I can be in first after a few corners, but it's the perseverance that pays off. After I'd say, 10 laps, things start getting more interesting, the AI seem to get much more aggressive. Blocking in the straights, even fighting for position between themselves and making mistakes as a result. They hang the arse out more aswell.

I've had many AI hitting the wall on the 2nd of the triple left hander at bathurst. Even caught the 2 R8 Lms rabbits at the chase and one of them braked too late and ended up punting both of them into the gravel at the chicane!

Never seen anything like it, except for during Redbull races at apricot and the S races with tyre wear.

They will still brake in odd places, and take awful lines, but as I say, it's the best gt6 AI has to offer.

Running ABS 0 on the LMS ultra on sports soft was very interesting, and added to the whole experience very well indeed.

Hm... Sounds interesting. I'll give it a try. I quite like how you can race for as long as you wish. 👍

Actually, I've been doing this since GT4 but never got around to trying it in GT6. Thanks for reminding me 👍

P.S. I'm restricted to offline too, but not because I don't have internet. I simply choose not to race online :P

Actually, I've been doing this since GT4 but never got around to trying it in GT6. Thanks for reminding me 👍

P.S. I'm restricted to offline too, but not because I don't have internet. I simply choose not to race online :P

Good for you 👍

On online racing, everyone thinks that they are jellys. :banghead:

With a little skepticism I tried this yesterday only to drive around the ring for an hour straight. :cheers:

Day/night transition truly adds a new layer of enjoyment.

I also realized how close is PD to something astonishing - only with better sounds and skipping other things I would have a really hard time putting down the controller.

I would just drive - no credits, no rankings - just pure driving enjoyment.

But hey PD - you still need to add those things ok ? ;)

With a little skepticism I tried this yesterday only to drive around the ring for an hour straight. :cheers:

Day/night transition truly adds a new layer of enjoyment.

I also realized how close is PD to something astonishing - only with better sounds and skipping other things I would have a really hard time putting down the controller.

I would just drive - no credits, no rankings - just pure driving enjoyment.

But hey PD - you still need to add those things ok ? ;)
I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Even better with a wheel 👍

Back