Isn't PD more silent than usual?

• Thread starter azidahaka
  • 112 comments
I would not read too much in the "We do not take notice of other games" I am sure they look, although their game does not reflect this like you say. PD are on a train to no where, they have to be careful. Sure the casual gamers will always buy GT, though evidently less so for GT6 versus previous versions, and the hard core racer is looking for other hits. I hope GT7 will put the franchise back on track but I do not have any faith.

Maybe PD's recent silence is a little reflection time for them I hope.
I disagree, if i were a casual gamer i'd buy pcars or driveclub because of the fancy graphics and details.
I buy GT because of the driving and everything overall, altough Kaz and company should seriously notice the other rivals just to keep on with everyone and be competitive.
Because, y know, lately i begun to fear that the GT franchise would die in a timelapse starting from gt7 to gt8 because of how excessively "old school" it is.

Silence speaks louder than words?

I would not read too much in the "We do not take notice of other games" I am sure they look, although their game does not reflect this like you say.
I remember Kaz talking briefly about the Forza series a few times. Let me dig them up for y'all.

Regarding FM2 :
Kikizo: Could you give us your opinion on Forza MotorSport 2 for the Xbox 360, and in particular, the ability to reskin your car in very great detail - are you going to have this degree of superficial car customisation in GT5?

Yamauchi: Straight off the bat, I think that in terms of feature sets, Forza is ahead of us. They have more options, you can do basically anything. We take a different approach obviously - we try to concentrate on what are the core values for a racing game, and we try to elevate those standards up as high as we possibly can. I am having difficulty trying to explain the differences, but one way you can look at it is, you can buy a watch that is super multifunctional, but economical, or a watch that is reduced in functions, but premium - higher end.

On car damage (page two in the link below) :
Kikizo: This must reflect strong relationships with the manufacturers - so on what level will you be incorporating car damage? Forza has fairly extensive car damage; they told us they were able to achieve this because they have particularly close relationships with the car manufacturers. What would you say to this?

Yamauchi: I think they have different levels of damage, perhaps depending on their relationships with each of the brands. What I mean is, there is still a limitation that still exists within the agreements that we have with car manufacturers, even with the example of Forza; one car will be more damaged than another, and that is probably because they are limited with that brand. And that would apply to us as well. To clarify, our main objectives are to raise the bar for AI, physics, car modelling, sixteen cars on the track, 1080p, 60fps, these kinds of things - the core of the racing game category, we want to bring the standards to a high level. Of course, on our road map, yes we have damage, we have changing weather etcetera, but we will get to that once we build our pillars first; those are details that you can add afterwards.

http://archive.videogamesdaily.com/features/gt5_kazyamauchi_iv_oct07_p1.asp

About FM3 :
Now that Forza III has been released and the competition has been able to check it out, what does legendary GT developer Kazunori Yamauchi think of it? Well, it's not quite a racing simulator, but it ain't bad. A few guys around the GT office, including Yamauchi himself, have played the competing racer and he came away with this, "I was watching the guys at our company trying it out in the office. I tried it a little bit. It's very similar in a lot of aspects to Gran Turismo. Some base components of the game are very different from Gran Turismo. It's a little bit different from what a simulator is. You can feel it when you drive it."
http://www.destructoid.com/yamauchi-has-played-forza-3-thinks-it-s-not-quite-a-sim-154447.phtml

FM in general :
Kazunori Yamauchi, creator of the Gran Turismo franchise, was spotted recently at the Los Angeles Auto Show, and answered some questions regarding his thoughts on GT‘s biggest competitor, Forza, and the franchise’s future.

“We always respect our competition,” Mr. Yamauchi said in regards to Forza, “the racing genre isn’t really that big in its entirety, so I’m glad that everyone works hard to boost the genre as a whole.”
http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/11...i-on-forza-we-always-respect-our-competition/

(Google translate)

EG.dk
: When you look back at the games that have come out since GT4 - Forza Motorsport as the probably biggest title - do you see things you want to implement GT series? Functions that have brought the genre a step forward? Or developer of Gran Turismo in a kind of vacuum, where you ignore the competition?

KY : The last is actually exactly what we do. We don't squint at other games while we develop Gran Turismo - it is solely based on what we want to achieve with the game.
http://www.eurogamer.dk/articles/yamauchi-om-gran-turismo-5-interview?page=2
So, yeah, there you have it.

Last edited:
Kikizo: This must reflect strong relationships with the manufacturers - so on what level will you be incorporating car damage? Forza has fairly extensive car damage; they told us they were able to achieve this because they have particularly close relationships with the car manufacturers. What would you say to this?

Yamauchi: I think they have different levels of damage, perhaps depending on their relationships with each of the brands. What I mean is, there is still a limitation that still exists within the agreements that we have with car manufacturers, even with the example of Forza; one car will be more damaged than another, and that is probably because they are limited with that brand. And that would apply to us as well. To clarify, our main objectives are to raise the bar for AI, physics, car modelling, sixteen cars on the track, 1080p, 60fps, these kinds of things - the core of the racing game category, we want to bring the standards to a high level. Of course, on our road map, yes we have damage, we have changing weather etcetera, but we will get to that once we build our pillars first; those are details that you can add afterwards.

Now you can skip ahead to 5.35

Heh. I saw the ISR interview yesterday and immediately thought of the apologist usually talking about contracts with manufacturers that limit GT from having mechanical and visual damage. It's just a matter of priority and effort.

PD themselves have shown being capable of it when demoing their (presumably WIP) damage model with the Subaru rally car back in '09.

Heh. I saw the ISR interview yesterday and immediately thought of the apologist usually talking about contracts with manufacturers that limit GT from having mechanical and visual damage. It's just a matter of priority and effort.

PD themselves have shown being capable of it when demoing their (presumably WIP) damage model with the Subaru rally car back in '09.
i remember when i first saw that trailer;was close to some religious attack with tears of joy and drool.

I disagree, if i were a casual gamer i'd buy pcars or driveclub because of the fancy graphics and details.
I buy GT because of the driving and everything overall, altough Kaz and company should seriously notice the other rivals just to keep on with everyone and be competitive.
Because, y know, lately i begun to fear that the GT franchise would die in a timelapse starting from gt7 to gt8 because of how excessively "old school" it is.

The 10.45 million that bought GT5 are not hardcore Simracers. The 200,000 members and several thousand active members of GTP are more or less are. Most of that 10 million of sales are casual gamers, kids, parents buying for their kids etc. GT6 is doing pretty bad as even the casual gamer is less interested let alone the sim racer.

Possibly, although as seen by the quote in my previous post from the official gran-turismo.com website, that would then fall somewhere between willful misdirection and outright lies.

They need to at least be in the general vicinity of 20 VGTs after a year. 15 would probably be close enough given their past accuracy with predictions.

Ah sorry I completely missed your gran-turismo.com quote, oops! Well you're right then, and it looks like that will have been too ambitious a claim for PD (again whether it be the manufacturers taking too long to design, or PD taking too long to model, although the end result has been the same).

The 10.45 million that bought GT5 are not hardcore Simracers. The 200,000 members and several thousand active members of GTP are more or less are. Most of that 10 million of sales are casual gamers, kids, parents buying for their kids etc. GT6 is doing pretty bad as even the casual gamer is less interested let alone the sim racer.

>implying that competing titles are mostly purchased by hardcore simracers
>implying VGChartz is a reliable source :rolleyes:

Speaking of silence, I'll plug this:

They kind of do. They've got a lot of stuff that they still need to get into GT6 to not be seen as totally taking advantage of their customers.

Anything less than once a month isn't really going to get it done. They still have the course creator, B Spec, community/clubs, mobile devices, and a big list of VGTs to push out.
I think VGT will be switched to GT7 at this point. Depends on GT7 release, thought.

Last edited:
>implying VGChartz is a reliable source :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, VGChartz is all we've got.

We know it's not accurate, but it's likely in the right ball park. What little hard sales data is available is regional, and tends to confirm that the VGChartz numbers are at least broadly correct. That Sony continues to refuse to release hard data also supports the conclusion that whatever the numbers are, they're not anything to brag about.

~3 million sales is a reasonable estimate for GT6 at this point, although it could easily be a million or two either way. But even 5 million after nearly a year of sales is a significant step backwards, GT5 did about 5 million in the first month.

Unfortunately, VGChartz is all we've got.

We know it's not accurate, but it's likely in the right ball park. What little hard sales data is available is regional, and tends to confirm that the VGChartz numbers are at least broadly correct. That Sony continues to refuse to release hard data also supports the conclusion that whatever the numbers are, they're not anything to brag about.

~3 million sales is a reasonable estimate for GT6 at this point, although it could easily be a million or two either way. But even 5 million after nearly a year of sales is a significant step backwards, GT5 did about 5 million in the first month.
This post I'm going to write probably doesn't belong here but anyway, there's a plethora of reasons why GT6 was never going to sell anywhere near as well as GT5:
GT5
- People have been craving a sequel to GT4 for just over 5 years
- The PS3 Slim is becoming much more affordable around the world (My 320GB PS3 cost roughly $430, (give or take $50, it was a gift) compared to $699 for a 40GB or $999 for a 60GB in 2007)
- They advertised this one substantially, tv spots, kiosks and everything!
- GT5: Prologue built up a lot of hype in the thrity-five months it had to convince people that GT5 would be like this but a zillion times bigger.
- People saw the picture below
2382880258_98617917e9_z.jpg

The idea of a game that looked like that was CRAZY in 2010.

GT6
- Released after the launch of the new consoles that were the talk of the town, PS3 is an also-ran now.
- Casual players who bought a PS3 with GT5 and have played maybe two other games since then aren't interested, they've already got a racing game.
- Much less marketing, though surprisingly I did see a few televised ads.
- There wasn't much to market. Besides things that haven't been added yet, the only new thing the ads were able to capitalise on was "Hey look, Bathurst!" (a good proposition for a game in Australia) You can't exactly have a commercial that says "You should buy GT6 because it's just like GT5 except loads much faster, has a better UI, Cone challenges, easier licenses, drop-dead-gorgeous starmaps, higher dynamic range in its lighting and some really neat physics"

Last edited:

Shocker, we have been lied to again..

I believe I made an image on my thoughts of Kaz, with the old saying, "liar, liar...."
image-jpg.149365

"Hey, we got the moon, too!"
How on Earth the moon did I miss that? I loved that section of the game but really, considering it only took me fifteen minutes, I'm glad they only showed it very briefly at the end of one of the trailers. Speaking of trailers, here's a great hype-building trailer from 2009, featuring all sorts of things that weren't in the final game.

How on Earth the moon did I miss that? I loved that section of the game but really, considering it only took me fifteen minutes, I'm glad they only showed it very briefly at the end of one of the trailers. Speaking of trailers, here's a great hype-building trailer from 2009, featuring all sorts of things that weren't in the final game.

I don't see anything in there that was missing from GT5?

Latest Posts

Back