Microtransactions in GT6 - How's that going?

Having restarted GT4 last week, the payouts for the Sunday Cup were all 600cr per race. In GT6 it was 4,420cr+ (different for each one.)

The microtransaction thing was a sour grapes myth. The in-game money for real cash thing was really only ever there for those who wanted a shortcut to big cars for online, or their collection.

when a transaction is close to the game price i call that a macro transaction, not a micro one ...

they should divide the price at least by 10 if not 20

My main account is hovering in the 35m bracket, despite regularly buying 7-figure cars. I occasionally have to buy something really expensive before seasonals so I don't hit the 50m cap - I've got too much money!

How about buying 8 figure cars, just 3 cars!

Not possible..?

So maybe two cars? And then back to zero: grinding - grinding - grinding. What a nice occupation!

ATM I have ~45mil and I also constantly buy cars up to 1mil, and do seasonals with LoginBonus, etc. But I "can't" buy a dozen of cars which cost between 5 and 20 mil, because I'll run out of money very quickly

So... just curious... you're asking me to go and buy three 20m credit cars knowing that there's a credit cap of 50m and...

Uhh...

Something...

Microtransactions!

No, it's good. You've got a good point. Cars cost money in the game and racing gets you money, but that's bad because racing in a racing game is...

No you've lost me again.

People still talk about microtranactions in GT6? Isn't it about time for a public naming and shaming of all the people who complained bitterly about this in the first place as it was and has proven to be a total non event?
That's obviously why the game has changed so extensively in terms of ease of credit availability since launch.

Just like it says... Anybody have any idea how the "Cash for Cr" is working out for SONY/PD?

Obviously they're still trying to make it work given the still crappy payouts in offline/online/seasonal races.

I don't think the payouts it's that bad, :embarrassed: i bought my first million, but that was not necessary, because with 200% log in bonus the payout is decent, we just have to work for it, by racing some more, i used the last seasonal events on nürburing nordschleife for grinding 20.000.000 for the Ford Mark IV 1967 i took me 3 days, not the best event for grinding money, but i really love that track, and with the Pagani Zonda R 2009 it was enjoyable, over 300.000 every 7 min.

Last edited:
Every time someone buys a microtransaction, the game developer is encouraged to make the game pay out less. It's simple economics. I'd be ashamed to buy into that scheme.
I didn't even redeem the preorder/15AE bonus 1,000,000cr voucher. I'm not having my non-purchase of that showing up on a Sony tally sheet and contributing to the problem.

Why are micro transactions so bad? They are just a short cut to something that you can already get for free.. I see a lot of posts asking for paid DLC like in GT5 where you had to pay if you wanted to drive at Spa. Perhaps they are a different group of people.
I much prefer to pay for credits if you want to and get the tracks and cars for free. For me, I see it as a time saver (admittedly not much of one because you can race and earn the credits). Its like the option to buy the Senna Cars rather than win them. If people would rather spend money than time and effort, then let them. For some lucky people time is more valuable than cash.

For the record, I've only bought one micro transaction as I said before, for a LMP car to race online straight away.

Some people, like Parcells, have been racing for many years and could care less if we ever race against another crappy AI opponent for the rest of my life. Hence, the only enjoyment we get these days is racing against real people on-line where the payouts are pure garbage.

Also, from my perspective, if you need to run a particular race more than once simply to earn credits to purchase anything that’s called “grinding”.

Some people, like Parcells, have been racing for many years and could care less if we ever race against another crappy AI opponent for the rest of my life. Hence, the only enjoyment we get these days is racing against real people on-line where the payouts are pure garbage.
Then the problem is the lack of availability of the car stable for online. Almost the entirety of GT4's car list was available for LAN mode without having to play a moment of the game.
Also, from my perspective, if you need to run a particular race more than once simply to earn credits to purchase anything that’s called “grinding”.
In that case, every racing game ever has involved "grinding".

I ran the Rb JR events quite a few times to earn credits. For a while I was doing them at least once a day but the bulk of my credits came from other races while tuning. The Willow Springs S event, Motegi Nascar and 500PP TC at Bathurst, the latter of which did not pay nearly as much but enough to pay for tuning and have a little extra at the end.

I do wish that there were more races on Nurburgring with a good payout and could be won in lesser road cars.

Then the problem is the lack of availability of the car stable for online. Almost the entirety of GT4's car list was available for LAN mode without having to play a moment of the game.
Wasn’t really suggesting this is a problem, merely stating some facts. However your assessment of the situation is accurate.

Generally speaking I would agree. However, this is more subjective and dependent on what type of gamer you are grinding may or may not be required. I’m a Forza reject and when I get a new racing game I generally like to spend between 10-20 hours of career mode to enjoy the new game then it’s strictly on-line racing for Parcells. In both FM3 and FM4 I never had to cheat or do anything to attain enough credits for me to enjoy the racing I wanted to do and could always afford the cars and upgrades I needed simply by racing on-line hence I didn’t have to grind in either of those games.

It was only when I converted to GT5 (never played GT4) that I had to start grinding. Only when GT5’s payout upgrade came out did grinding not become necessary and if it wasn’t for the GT6 credit glitch I would also need to grind for credits to maintain my normal racing activities just like two of my friends currently need to do as they did not do the credit glitch.

Generally speaking I would agree. However, this is more subjective and dependent on what type of gamer you are grinding may or may not be required. I’m a Forza reject and when I get a new racing game I generally like to spend between 10-20 hours of career mode to enjoy the new game then it’s strictly on-line racing for Parcells. In both FM3 and FM4 I never had to cheat or do anything to attain enough credits for me to enjoy the racing I wanted to do and could always afford the cars and upgrades I needed simply by racing on-line hence I didn’t have to grind in either of those games.

It was only when I converted to GT5 (never played GT4) that I had to start grinding. Only when GT5’s payout upgrade came out did grinding not become necessary and if it wasn’t for the GT6 credit glitch I would also need to grind for credits to maintain my normal racing activities just like two of my friends currently need to do as they did not do the credit glitch.
As you can see from my image on the previous page, 30 hours - driving everything in career mode once - racked up 42m credits, enough for one of every sub-250k credit car in the game. That's 844 cars.

Though with 1,200 cars, there's 536m of cars in total - there's 200m alone of cars in excess of 2m credits.

I found that I have plenty of credits, without paying real money, or even grinding. This is because, I've already bought most of these cars in two games, I'm just not as interested in owning most again. I think I have about 260+ cars, and no real desire to buy anymore. Currently sitting on over 43 million credits.

Terribly humid. My lens fogged up within seconds of stepping foot outside the door.
There is a chipmunk at the front stoop.
It won't stop staring into my eyes...into my soul.
EAST
EAST
NORTH

I've never even opened the menu. I don't always have time to play every day (or even every couple of days) but I usually hover around 10-15 million credits and find it pretty easy to save up for something if I want it.

People who complain about the payouts/prices are just looking for something to complain about.

Hm.

US player here; every GameStop had GT6 with a redeem code for the 15th Anniversary cars.

The only time I've ever *had* to buy a car was for a Seasonal event, if I didn't already have a qualifying car in my garage. (Did other regions not get the 15th Anniversary DLC cars at launch?...)

So, pretty much every cent I've earned in-game has been mad money, to spend on cars for fun and whimsy. Wheeee! ;)

I really couldn't tell you but I just know that they will never get a penny from me for credits. I have more time on my hands than most people and I really don't mind having to grind for credits. I mean, its not my favorite thing to do, but there are times where I just don't mind kicking back and grinding for a few 3 or 4 hours. I never did the money glitch so the 40-50 million balance that I keep is all from grinding.....on both my accounts. :crazy:

Hm.

US player here; every GameStop had GT6 with a redeem code for the 15th Anniversary cars.

The only time I've ever *had* to buy a car was for a Seasonal event, if I didn't already have a qualifying car in my garage. (Did other regions not get the 15th Anniversary DLC cars at launch?...)

So, pretty much every cent I've earned in-game has been mad money, to spend on cars for fun and whimsy. Wheeee! ;)
Yeah well I only found out that I had the 15th anniversary cars until I had finished almost the entire the campaign. Which was quite hard when you are running version 1.00. It was terrible trying to finish the final GT championship with a custom Light Car Company Rocket.

That's obviously why the game has changed so extensively in terms of ease of credit availability since launch.

Oh I see. And GT5 did the same thing in retroactive sympathy?

Every time someone buys a microtransaction, the game developer is encouraged to make the game pay out less. It's simple economics. I'd be ashamed to buy into that scheme.

Yeah, all those people who bought the GT5 car packs really screwed us. Now we never get a single free car, its all paid DLC :( They should have known, its simple economics after all.

Last edited:
Why, yes. GT5 also changed extensively enough from launch (mostly with the same changes no less) that certain problems that game had when first released didn't really apply 9 months later. Famine in fact already made the comparison between the two games.

Having restarted GT4 last week, the payouts for the Sunday Cup were all 600cr per race. In GT6 it was 4,420cr+ (different for each one.)
This, while true, is also somewhat misleading because GT4 has a few major conceptual differences from GT5/GT6. In general cars cost far less on average than their GT6 equivalents (though GT6 is better than GT5 in that regard, many of the Standard models still cost twice what they did in GT4), GT4 allowed you to rewin prize cars, and GT4 had B-Spec and the 3X mode for it. GT2 was similarly different, since the payouts were small but only ~20 minutes would be enough time to afford the most expensive cars in the game.

Last edited:

Come on Famine, you know better than this. For starters, not every racing game ever even has a credits/purchasing system, and so doesn't required grinding based on that.

F1 2010 through 2013 don't require repeatedly running races to get the cars you want. Nor does Grid: Autosport. You're given a selection based on a combination of the difficulty level you select and your demonstrated success at the game.

Even within credits based systems, it's possible to have races that all give a roughly equivalent reward for time invested, removing the "Red Bull Jr." effect. It's not really grinding if you can race whatever you like, that's just playing the game. It's only grinding when there's significant advantage to repeatedly completing the same races over and over, as is very much the case with the Red Bull events.

Imagine if there was an event creator that you could set up however you liked that paid out at the same rate as the Red Bull Jr. events. Make it only accessable after completing all career events if necessary, although I think you could probably make it accessable much earlier or simply have it open from the beginning without too many problems. GT6 isn't really gated by credits the same way some of the older games were.

The only valid game design reason for so strongly incentivising grinding a single race or race series is "we didn't have time to find a better solution". In a title of Gran Turismo's calibre, a game that is trying to provide extended gameplay for it's users, that's crap.

Come on Famine, you know better than this. For starters, not every racing game ever even has a credits/purchasing system, and so doesn't required grinding based on that.

F1 2010 through 2013 don't require repeatedly running races to get the cars you want.
I've got a bit of a knowledge hole when it comes to F1 20xx games. How long would the game be if you never played a race twice?
Nor does Grid: Autosport. You're given a selection based on a combination of the difficulty level you select and your demonstrated success at the game.
How do you gain access to other vehicles in Grid Autosport?
Even within credits based systems, it's possible to have races that all give a roughly equivalent reward for time invested, removing the "Red Bull Jr." effect. It's not really grinding if you can race whatever you like, that's just playing the game.
Oddly, that's not too dissimilar to something I said earlier:
Famine
Not at all - it's because that particular event offers the fastest way of doing it.

The N24 race offers 614k for 3 laps/24 minutes. The LM24 offers 558k for 7 laps/24 minutes. I find the Apricot Hill 20 Minute race to be plenty of fun for 318k. If you like variety, the GTWC gives 1.38m for 20 laps.

People recommend the X2014 Standards because it's a faster way. That's all.
It's only grinding when there's significant advantage to repeatedly completing the same races over and over, as is very much the case with the Red Bull events.
Now... I didn't define grinding. It was defined in the post to which I was responding as "doing the same race more than once", regardless of the advantage conferred in doing so. You're defining it as doing the same race(s) repeatedly if there's an advantage to doing it.

If the Red Bull events didn't exist it seems quite likely that folk would go back to racing the Like the Wind races over and over again - 140k at 200% for 5 minutes (SSRX) or 130k at 200% for 4 minutes (Indy). Is that still grinding? By the former definition it would seem to be, but I'm not sure if it would be by yours.

The N24 seems to be about the same rate - 25k/minute. Would racing that over and over again be grinding? Again, by the first definition it would be, but by yours it's about the same rate as the LTW races and, since there's no advantage to either event, it wouldn't seem to be.
Imagine if there was an event creator that you could set up however you liked that paid out at the same rate as the Red Bull Jr. events. Make it only accessable after completing all career events if necessary, although I think you could probably make it accessable much earlier or simply have it open from the beginning without too many problems. GT6 isn't really gated by credits the same way some of the older games were.
Quite so - though the amount of belief that still exists today that says GT6 has the worst credit economy of any GT game to date is astonishing.
The only valid game design reason for so strongly incentivising grinding a single race or race series is "we didn't have time to find a better solution".
Actually, there's a better one. "We hate microtransactions so gave our players a really easy way to avoid them. Oh, did we forget to make it a one-hit deal? Silly us."
In a title of Gran Turismo's calibre, a game that is trying to provide extended gameplay for it's users, that's crap.
I dare say the majority of users will never need the gameplay extended - they simply won't reach the end of it to need more of it. It seems that only one in three (from PSN accounts registered at the site as owning GT6) have even got into the S-Class events and not even half have reached International A (which means they can't even do LTW, let alone N24)...

That said, it's time for a redesign of GT's career mode.

I dare say the majority of users will never need the gameplay extended - they simply won't reach the end of it to need more of it. It seems that only one in three (from PSN accounts registered at the site as owning GT6) have even got into the S-Class events and not even half have reached International A (which means they can't even do LTW, let alone N24)...
I'm not overly interested in getting deep into this particular conversation, but can I just say ... Hallelujah.
This point above, above all others, seems to be the major thing missed on this forum in general.

The 'majority of players' are casual players who find the game very challenging, and aren't up to speed with all the nuances of GT like the things that get completely dissected in GTP.

There's some here who seem to forget that.

Latest Posts

Back