Microtransactions in GT6 - How's that going?

Why, yes. GT5 also changed extensively enough from launch (mostly with the same changes no less) that certain problems that game had when first released didn't really apply 9 months later. Famine in fact already made the comparison between the two games.

So then we have two options left:

Option 1
Since you already knew this, yet posted claiming ignorance anyway... Were you just trolling?

Option 2
Perhaps you honestly think that an almost identical game progression structure in two almost identical games accompanied by almost identical patches and updates by the same developer have two vastly different causes, one of which is pure speculation?

The only valid game design reason for so strongly incentivising grinding a single race or race series is "we didn't have time to find a better solution".

Awesome insight. Well actually... Not really. What you said does not even make sense. In a game with the sheer content that GT6 has why on earth would they want to encourage players to race the same car and track over and over (which is what the English you wrote meant, that PD very much wants players to ignore the main content and to endlessly grind)?

Isn't it more logical to think that A; GT 'fans' will cry if PD change the game taking away the traditional structure as fans always on mass want the same thing over and over becoming slightly shinier each iteration. And B; they are afraid of change as GT games have always had the same structure and have always been successful?

And have you even considered that high car prices might not be the insane concept of 'incentivising grinding' but actually an attempt to make these cars in some way special?

I dare say the majority of users will never need the gameplay extended - they simply won't reach the end of it to need more of it. It seems that only one in three (from PSN accounts registered at the site as owning GT6) have even got into the S-Class events and not even half have reached International A (which means they can't even do LTW, let alone N24)...

That said, it's time for a redesign of GT's career mode.

That is me. I don't care about offline, only online. I really find it hard to understand why people race bots when they could race people, but that is another topic...

Perhaps you honestly think that an almost identical game progression structure in two almost identical games accompanied by almost identical patches and updates by the same developer have two vastly different causes, one of which is pure speculation?
I certainly think there was reason to question PD's motives at the time when nearly all of those updates to improve the problems people had with GT5's game economy were removed for GT6 despite GT6 being almost identical in structure (and initial problems); and in their place was nothing but the microtransaction system combined with the marketing push to preorder the game to get a million starting credits. I actually struggle to see what was wrong with wondering about it when the game first released and PD was silent about whether anything would be done or why those things like the Login bonus were removed.

Though by all means continue to call for the "public naming and shaming" of those members who had been talking about it back on December 6th now that it "has proven to be a total non event" 9 months later.

Last edited:
I certainly think there was reason to question PD's motives at the time when nearly all of those updates to improve the problems people had with GT5's game economy were removed for GT6 despite GT6 being almost identical in structure; and in their place was nothing but the microtransaction system combined with the push to preorder the game to get credits. I actually struggle to see what was wrong with doing so when the game first released and PD was silent about whether anything would be done or why those things like the Login bonus were removed.

Though by all means continue to call for the "public naming and shaming" of those members who had been talking about it back on December 6th now that it "has proven to be a total non event" 9 months later.

You say "9 months later" like it was just fixed. It was fixed in update 1.02 back on December 18th (you know, 12 days after launch) and yet the complaining about it is still going on 9 months later.

You say "9 months later" like it was just fixed.
Actually, no I'm not. Nowhere in this thread did I say that the claims that PD are just fishing for money are still justified now. Now we have Seasonal Events again, the raised career race payouts and the login bonus all back. We still don't have B-Spec, but nor do we have any reason to believe that it was removed to further push microtransactions.

9 months later
is simply the time when a member decided that the knowledge we all have now can be retroactively applied to the people who took issue with it when the game first released, and the worries about the microtransaction policy that started in the run to December 6th seemed vindicated by how all of the things GT5 had were once again removed. Hindsight is a truly amazing thing in that regard. Hence directly quoting him and only bringing up 9 months later time has passed in relation to said quotes.

Know idea because I did the money glitch in December last year.
Glitch FTW i have enough credits to last me a lifetime :D
Man, I really do hope we find a similar glitch in GT7, I love the fact that I can use any track/car/mods to race - like a sandbox mode! Wby should I have to grind to buy car that I have paid money for - that is ridiculous !! Glitch x100

So... just curious... you're asking me to go and buy three 20m credit cars knowing that there's a credit cap of 50m and...

Erm... the irony maybe?

No, it's good. You've got a good point. Cars cost money in the game and racing gets you money, but that's bad because racing in a racing game is...

No you've lost me again.

Yeah it's hard for you....probably.

cars cost and cars cost insanely are two different things in this context. And if that's the price for such car in real life, then let it be, but give opportunity to earn much more, or allow to win those cars in a special contest or smth like that.

If I would like to buy top 20 most expensive cars in GT6, they would cost me more than 200+ mil. Now that's quite some grinding to be done (time wasting galore)

YZF
Erm... the irony maybe?
I don't know how you define irony, but that doesn't really fit with any definition I know.

Demanding something you know to be not possible is silly. I don't know why you're demanding it either - I assume your point to be, since it's a microtransaction discussion thread, something to do with the game being tilted towards microtransactions - but the fact the game's credit cap is 50m applies whether you earn the money by racing in the racing game or pay for it through microtransactions.
YZF
Yeah it's hard for you....probably.
It'll be hard in perpetuity until you can explain why not being able to buy three 20m cars in succession because of the credit cap has anything to do with microtransactions.
YZF
cars cost and cars cost insanely are two different things in this context. And if that's the price for such car in real life, then let it be, but give opportunity to earn much more, or allow to win those cars in a special contest or smth like that.
Oh, you mean like some kind of money-spinning event or a giveaway seasonal every time there's a Vision GT car added to the game? Yeah, why didn't they do that?
YZF
If I would like to buy top 20 most expensive cars in GT6, they would cost me more than 200+ mil. Now that's quite some grinding to be done (time wasting galore)
I know, right? Racing in a racing game - what a waste of time!

ct_gt6desktop.jpg

Glitch FTW i have enough credits to last me a lifetime :D
Man, I really do hope we find a similar glitch in GT7, I love the fact that I can use any track/car/mods to race - like a sandbox mode! Wby should I have to grind to buy car that I have paid money for - that is ridiculous !! Glitch x100
That would be good If the money glitch was in GT7 at the release of the game like it was in GT6. I have all the cars and I still have 30 GT40s in the garage. :cheers:

I still not got any 20 million dollar cars back in GT6. I had all the ones in GT5 because of the high paying seasonal races. & Spending over 300,000cr on tuning cars has eaten into my earnings to since fully tuning cars are not cheap.

I've got a bit of a knowledge hole when it comes to F1 20xx games. How long would the game be if you never played a race twice?

Race length is scalable, so let's set that to 100%.

-A season is 18 or so locations depending on the year.
-At each location the race itself probably averages an hour and a half in length (F1 races go from a bit over an hour to right on two hours long). 27 hours of racing there.
-Each location also has qualifying, that adds up to about 40 minutes. Another 12 hours of gameplay.
-And there's practice. It varies between the realistic 3 practise sessions in earlier games (three hours) to only one in later games (one hour), and it's kind of optional anyway. Although if you're playing through the first time, you will be spending at least a bit of time in practice. Let's say it's 18 optional hours.

So qualifying and racing alone you've got about 39 hours of gameplay on 100% race length, and another 18 hours in practice. There's also some time trial challenges in all the games, the later ones have Young Driver Testing and F1 2013 has a classics mode. I'm not entirely sure how long that is. There's a few more hours of gameplay scattered around.

The hardcore version of the game is then designed around working your way up from a lower team to a higher one by achieving success in a season, but by that point you'll be repeating races, albeit in a different car.

How do you gain access to other vehicles in Grid Autosport?

You choose the championship you wish to enter. You are offered a contract by various teams to compete for them, and each team has their own cars that they run, similar to a real racing team.

Initially, you're only offered contracts for low ranking teams. There's a real difference in car strength, and it can be very difficult to finish well up the order in some of them. To get to a higher level team you need to prove yourself by finishing well relative to your teammate and meeting or exceeding team goals. You'll then be offered a contract with a higher level team if you choose to enter the championship again.

Now... I didn't define grinding. It was defined in the post to which I was responding as "doing the same race more than once", regardless of the advantage conferred in doing so. You're defining it as doing the same race(s) repeatedly if there's an advantage to doing it.

Yes, well. Doing the same race more than once because it's fun doesn't count as grinding, IMO.

People grind because they want resources. Whether it's grinding for gear or gold in WoW, or credits in GT it's still about the resources and not about the actual play. That's what separates grinding from just going for a race.

Because of the type of game Gran Turismo is, the need for that is never really going to go away. As long as there's a credits system, people will need more credits. So labelling driving for credits as grinding is not really that useful in defining an interesting situation, although many people do label that as grinding. It's more a by-product of the relationship between race payouts and car prices than anything else.

What is more interesting is when people feel that it's more efficient to repeat one single race or championship to gain credits.

If the Red Bull events didn't exist it seems quite likely that folk would go back to racing the Like the Wind races over and over again - 140k at 200% for 5 minutes (SSRX) or 130k at 200% for 4 minutes (Indy). Is that still grinding? By the former definition it would seem to be, but I'm not sure if it would be by yours.

The N24 seems to be about the same rate - 25k/minute. Would racing that over and over again be grinding? Again, by the first definition it would be, but by yours it's about the same rate as the LTW races and, since there's no advantage to either event, it wouldn't seem to be.

No. Like the Wind is not more efficient, it's just easier. People do SSRX while texting on their phone and such, which is a good way to multitask, but purely from within the game framework it's fine. As you say, it's roughly on the same level as the "endurance" events, and so a player would not be disadvantaged by spending the same amount of time doing those instead.

Quite so - though the amount of belief that still exists today that says GT6 has the worst credit economy of any GT game to date is astonishing.

The GT6 economy was pretty terrible at release, but so was GT5. Both were fixed in reasonably short order.

If judging by the state of the economy at release, I could see the argument for it.

Actually, there's a better one. "We hate microtransactions so gave our players a really easy way to avoid them. Oh, did we forget to make it a one-hit deal? Silly us."

It's possible, but I'm not a fan of this one.

This requires that PD be so bent over Sony's knee that they don't have a say in how the microtransactions in their game will function, but that they are rebellious enough to sabotage it from within, but that they didn't sabotage it at release.

I think it's far more likely that they simply wanted to make sure that the Red Bull events would be well used. They're being paid to include them (presumably), and so it's to their interest that they make sure that the customer is exposed to that branding on a regular basis. Same reason that they put up VGT events with good payouts, to incentivise players to view the marketing that they represent.

I dare say the majority of users will never need the gameplay extended - they simply won't reach the end of it to need more of it. It seems that only one in three (from PSN accounts registered at the site as owning GT6) have even got into the S-Class events and not even half have reached International A (which means they can't even do LTW, let alone N24)...

That said, it's time for a redesign of GT's career mode.

You're probably right, I'm talking about a minority of people who will play through the available content even once.

I'd certainly support a redesign of the career mode. It has some good ideas, but I think it's largely overwhelmed by legacy stuff now. It could really use someone with a fresh set of eyes taking the concepts that are at the core of what makes it fun, and starting a design without reference to the last 15 years of Gran Turismo history.[/quote]

Chasing the rabbit is ridiculous. I just did the new intermediate seasonal 550pp in a Subaru BRZ and was in 1st by the middle of the 2nd lap. I was behind a Cizeta and pulled up next to it. The driver must have been asleep, because it was basically just coasting. I don't think any of the AI ever actually have the gas pedal fully to the floor or even 3/4s.

What happened to time trials in cars that don't allow tuning? Those are my favorite. It makes for a perfectly level playing field, so nobody has an advantage.

Remember when you'd get paid more for using a car with less PP?

I certainly think there was reason to question PD's motives at the time when nearly all of those updates to improve the problems people had with GT5's game economy were removed for GT6 despite GT6 being almost identical in structure (and initial problems); and in their place was nothing but the microtransaction system combined with the marketing push to preorder the game to get a million starting credits. I actually struggle to see what was wrong with wondering about it when the game first released and PD was silent about whether anything would be done or why those things like the Login bonus were removed.

You are asserting that the game economy was somehow broken from the start. I don't think it was at all. As I have said, I think some cars should be out of reach otherwise what is the point of them? I am sure that it was PD's goal to give you something to look forward to buying in a years time. That is how I see it. You see it as PD wanting you to grind (like they could not have just copied and pasted more and more events?...). In simple terms I think PD wanted the game to last players a long time. You think PD wanted players done with it within a month and thus then must have wanted grinding (after all you only have to grind if you want the money RIGHT NOW, you would eventually get it anyway via finishing the game, seasonals and online racing).

Also, you conveniently explain the removal of things like login bonuses as part of a PD mt conspiracy, but have offered no explanation of all the other non economy elements removed from the game? How do they fit into your alternate history of GT6? Is it that say, the removal of shuffle racing was just a mistake, an intern deleted it or something but everything else is absolutely proven to be an international conspiracy?

Chase the rabbit and Time Trials? That's half the problem - Maybe if A-Spec had good racing people wouldn't have such an issue "redoing" events.
You asked for racing, not "good racing".

Of course the "good racing" in GT6 is limited to the imagination of the player. You won't find much good racing if you drop into series bang on the PP and tyre limits.

You are asserting that the game economy was somehow broken from the start.
Nope. Key phrase was "the problems people had", meaning that I recognize that the issues weren't necessarily 100% objective (though some of the defenses of GT6 when it first launched, like how the credit crunch was a return to the "true nature of the GT experience", were demonstrably false), but PD still took the time to cater to correcting them. In essence, I'm asserting that people didn't like how GT6 was, and just like they did for GT5 when it had the same issues, PD fixed it just like they did for GT6; in the process also invalidating their own microtransaction system. The issue in question is your assertion that everyone should have known that PD would do that last thing when the game first came out.

By all means keep intentionally misreading my posts, however.

I don't think it was at all.
It's too bad that PD corrected it twice anyway, then.

You see it as PD wanting you to grind (like they could not have just copied and pasted more and more events?...).
I'm sure you'll have no issue showing me the quote in this thread where I said anything of the sort, or even mentioned grinding at all; rather than you conflating the arguments of two different people.

Also, you conveniently explain the removal of things like login bonuses as part of a PD mt conspiracy
Nope. This one is pretty blatantly just you making up arguments to break down rather than actually reading what was written, since I directly explained the context I was referring to (how there was no way of knowing why GT6 released in the state it did or what would be done since PD never said anything about the game economy until they actually fixed it) and the specific argument I was defending (that believing microtransactions played a role in GT6's initial release state was valid at the time). You're the one who keeps arguing why people on December 6th had no right to complain about an issue with the game because of something we know now, and have yet provided no explanation for why everyone should have known then too.

Certainly, treating the microtransactions as an iron clad fact for why all of those GT5 features were (once again) absent was a faux paus when what was there to support it was only circumstantial, but:
Isn't it about time for a public naming and shaming of all the people who complained bitterly about this in the first place
That's not what you originally said; nor is it something that I have argued against.

but have offered no explanation of all the other non economy elements removed from the game?
Like what? The B-Spec mode removal where I went so far as to spell out "nor do we have any reason to believe that it was removed to further push microtransactions"?

How do they fit into your alternate history of GT6?
And what alternate history would that be? The million credit preorder bonus that was announced nearly 6 months before release? The microtransactions system announced for the game a month before release? The exorbitant pricing announced two days before release, and that a Sony VP (rather than anyone at PD) was the one who jumped to their defense? The roughly two week period where PD remained completely silent about why features were removed that had been patched in over the course of GT5's life in response to the same criticism, before finally releasing a patch to completely (and dramatically) rebalance the game economy? Which one of those things didn't happen again?

And what part of your alternate history of GT6, where even on December 7th everyone knew in advance that the game would be patched to rough parity with GT5 because we know that they did now, should we be prescribing to instead?

Is it that say, the removal of shuffle racing was just a mistake, an intern deleted it or something
It's nice to know PD playtests their games then.

Last edited:
Is it possible to purchase the credits and gift them? I haven't tried it. And if so, I'd be more than happy to accept. :)

Nope. Key phrase was "the problems people had", meaning that I recognize that the issues weren't necessarily 100% objective (though some of the defenses of GT6 when it first launched, like how the credit crunch was a return to the "true nature of the GT experience", were demonstrably false), but PD still took the time to cater to correcting them. In essence, I'm asserting that people didn't like how GT6 was, and just like they did for GT5 when it had the same issues, PD fixed it just like they did for GT6; in the process also invalidating their own microtransaction system. The issue in question is your assertion that everyone should have known that PD would do that last thing when the game first came out.

It's too bad that PD corrected it twice anyway, then.

I'm sure you'll have no issue showing me the quote in this thread where I said anything of the sort, or even mentioned grinding at all; rather than you conflating the arguments of two different people.

Nope. This one is pretty blatantly just you making up arguments to break down rather than actually reading what was written, since I directly explained the context I was referring to (how there was no way of knowing why GT6 released in the state it did or what would be done since PD never said anything about the game economy until they actually fixed it) and the specific argument I was defending (that believing microtransactions played a role in GT6's initial release state was valid at the time). You're the one who keeps arguing why people on December 6th had no right to complain about an issue with the game because of something we know now, and have yet provided no explanation for why everyone should have known then too.

Certainly, treating the microtransactions as an iron clad fact for why all of those GT5 features were (once again) absent was a faux paus when what was there to support it was only circumstantial, but:

That's not what you originally said; nor is it something that I have argued against.

Like what? The B-Spec mode removal where I went so far as to spell out "nor do we have any reason to believe that it was removed to further push microtransactions"?

And what alternate history would that be? The million credit preorder bonus that was announced nearly 6 months before release? The microtransactions system announced for the game a month before release? The exorbitant pricing announced two days before release, and that a Sony VP (rather than anyone at PD) was the one who jumped to their defense? The roughly two week period where PD remained completely silent about why features were removed that had been patched in over the course of GT5's life in response to the same criticism, before finally releasing a patch to completely (and dramatically) rebalance the game economy? Which one of those things didn't happen again?

And what part of your alternate history of GT6, where even on December 7th everyone knew in advance that the game would be patched to rough parity with GT5 because we know that they did now, should we be prescribing to instead?

It's nice to know PD playtests their games then.

I think I got you confused with another one on here about the grinding. I don't really pay attention to names.

But you keep saying that nobody could have known on dec 9 that it would be patched etc. But that is disingenuous and backwards. There was nothing wrong with the economy of the game at launch, so there was nothing to know. And things like preorder bonuses are not in any way related to mt, do I have to list all video games in history with preorder bonuses without mt? The list would be so long I am sure it would be considered an attack on the forums. There is no logical reason to link the two.

Before you speak about any of this you need to clear the first hurdle of proving the game was geared toward mt from the start. But you can not do this because there is no evidence of it and the history of GT's game structure as evidence against. As you have already admitted, it was very close to GT5 at launch. So either your argument is that GT5 was effected by spooky invisible mt or neither game was.

That is me. I don't care about offline, only online. I really find it hard to understand why people race bots when they could race people, but that is another topic...

Well, that would be me. I don't have a lot of chances to play GT6, I basically have to wait until all of the family is in bed and I'm still not too tired for a session. Happens on average twice to three times a week.

Any of the (great) regular events organised through GTP is basically a no-go for me, I can't prepare, I can't guarantee participation. I would be an awful participant.

Going online on the off-chance to find a good room? If I probably only have about 30 minutes to play?

No sorry, just Dealership, new Supercar, S-class 10 lap Ascari for me, please. Good night.

If you don't do "cash for credits" and save up that real money, Can you buy three cars at once in real life? I can't, but i can buy 2x 20m credit cars right now in GT6.
For me, saving credits in GT6 is much faster then real life saving for a real car.
if i want to save money for a new reallife car? I work every day, same job day in day out and that's also grinding, just takes much longer.

Attachments

• shot0001.png
    shot0001.png
    74.4 KB · Views: 10
If I used a microtransaction , I'd feel so bad for myself because I didn't even earn the money.

Before this game came out, I thought transactions would ruin the game since PD will become hungry for money. Many months after I bought GT6 I forgot it even existed until I saw this thread. :P
Same for me, i was afraid of a EA style game-ruiner madness, happy to say that i was wrong after all.
Gt6 is far from perfect, feels unfinished for a lot of reasons, but we got a lot of stuff for free and pd didn't fell for that attitude.
The option is there but it's really just... an option. I had no grinding problems on gt6 (gt5 before seasonals was what you can really call grinding, 100.000 at the time on indy with the zr1 RM :yuck: ) i have currently 40 mil. and almost all the car i wanted without repeating any a-spec event.

(Great avatar man)

The most expensive car I bought in GT6 was the Shelby Cobra Daytona.

That's because I bought like 800 cheap cars for testing/modifying purposes.

Usually restricted to friends only rooms that you know are full of respectable drivers.

We're talking about grinding and having to do racing with high amounts of money. You'd only get 15000 per 15 minutes of gameplay, excluding the constant disconnections, of course :)

You asked for racing, not "good racing".

Of course the "good racing" in GT6 is limited to the imagination of the player. You won't find much good racing if you drop into series bang on the PP and tyre limits.

It's still not good racing if you limit yourself to pp that will only allow you to win just about. GT offline is essentially a time trial event with a load of moving blocks in the way. Don't see any arguement against that.

I don't see any shortage of credits, or the need to purchase credits. I have 166 cars on one profile & about 130 on the other, I doubt I used most of them more than a couple times. I hit the max limit on one of the profiles, I broke down & bought the Miura P400. I don't own any of the 20M cars just haven't seen the point. Sure have wasted lots of credits on cheap cars though. I have won 106M+ & dropped over 12M in tuning parts. No doesn't seem to be any shortage of easy credits from my view point. I didn't even start doing the seasonal races till this summer as I had never bothered to set up PSN account. So I wasn't even getting a log in bonus, & both profiles are setting at between 35M & 39M.
Now the pay outs for the quick demo derby races aren't all that hot. Of course you can always avoid those. I would like to see more seasonal events,

Back