General Model Kit Building Thread

Thanks! I have been wondering though, do you paint everything before assembly, or as you go along? Is assembly THE final step, as in you get EVERYTHING else done before the assembly?

It's more of a section by section build. Just follow the instructions to a tee, especially if it's your first proper build. You can paint it all, that's more what the experienced model makers do. But be warned that you will have to remove paint when gluing the parts together. The glue needs to be on base plastic to plastic. Any paint in the way, and expect the joint to last about a minute.

Why haven't I seen this thread before?

I've got 30+ models built with a Williams FW13B that's been sitting around for a long time partially built. The painting of the bodywork makes me a bit nervous as I've never done anything that intricate before.

It's entirely up to you. The trouble with painting them on the sprue, is if you need to modify it to make the part fit you have to paint it again. I generally paint smaller bits, before cutting them and the larger bits, cut, fit, then paint.

dhandes

Can you tell me what method you are using for the heat effect on the exhaust? Is it a weathering kit? I've seen videos of some powder/brush types but I can't seem to find them anywhere. If you could recommend a site that ships to the States, that would be awesome. Thanks for your time.

It's entirely up to you. The trouble with painting them on the sprue, is if you need to modify it to make the part fit you have to paint it again. I generally paint smaller bits, before cutting them and the larger bits, cut, fit, then paint.

Same here mostly.

My current build is a GT-R and all the parts attached to one web of sprues were to be painted semi-gloss black so I did the whole lot with the airbrush and will paint on the other colours and detail on with a brush.

A quick snap with the wee camera....

DSC01393 by Andrew Robertson, on Flickr

I painted and stuck other bits to the floorpan on the sprue and as there's less risk of messing up the paint with fingerprints if you can hold it by the sprue. All the bits where the sprue joins the part will be hidden anyway.....I try to avoid painting anything on the sprue if it's going to need touched up after you cut the part off.

Have painted the body white and am going to attempt a carbon fibre effect on the bonnet if my trials on a spare bomb left over from a harrier build go well. Otherwise the bonnet will be white too:) Dark copper brake callipers and gunmetal metallic wheels I reckon.

Will get some pics of the GT-R build with my DSLR later but in the meantime I now have this top of the pile to start next:)

DSC01396 by Andrew Robertson, on Flickr

Let me plague the people in this thread with one more of my questions. :dunce:

So I'm about to order whatever paint I couldn't find at the store I got the model from. I decided on my own to do the body in Sublime Green, because that's what Superbirds look best in. Lucky for me that paint's not too hard to get. But, I still need these:

Transparent Red
Chrysler Engine Red
Semi Gloss Black

I can't find these anywhere, online or at the stores closest to me. :banghead: I looked at a hobby store that's a little ways away's website (most of this hobby store looks dedicated to modeling) and even they don't have what I need!

So, two questions: Do I need to have the exact paint that's on the box, and does anybody know a website where I could find the above?

dhandes

Can you tell me what method you are using for the heat effect on the exhaust? Is it a weathering kit? I've seen videos of some powder/brush types but I can't seem to find them anywhere. If you could recommend a site that ships to the States, that would be awesome. Thanks for your time.

Tamiya Weathering Master Set D is what I used. There are lots of different ways of achieving a finish, but this worked out easy and cheap. As for places to recommend for shipping to United States, not sure! I got mine from ebay.

tamiya-weathering-master-d-set.jpg

So, two questions: Do I need to have the exact paint that's on the box, and does anybody know a website where I could find the above?

You can use whatever you want or can get your hands on, but I use this as a converter across brands.

http://www.paint4models.com/paintchart/paintconversionchart20100101d.htm#

I'm curious about those weathering powders as I have never used them, do they need to be sealed with lacquer or will they just rub off the minute you finger touches it?

They will rub off slightly if they haven't been sealed. I don't normally bother sealing them, once the engine has been located, it is quite tricky to even get to the exhaust to smudge them. But if you are using them for more external effects a light spray with a clear coat would be in order.

Thanks for the link dhandes, may help clear some stuff up.

And sorry that I wasn't clear enough, what I meant to ask is will it make a huge difference if I paint the seats gloss black instead of semi gloss black? Does it really make a huge difference in the look of the model if I use Red 1 instead of Red 2 which is very similar?

And I've searched online for "Transparent Red" but nothing turned up. I guess it means that I have to use any red that's transparent. (it's for the tailights)

The seats will look naff gloss black, semi or matt would be better, as they recommend.
Try 'Tamiya clear red' on a search, that's what I've got and use. As for the engine block, it all depends on how OCD you are.

Tamiya numbers are - semi gloss black - X-18, clear red X-27 and as for the red, try a Hemi red or similar.

Last edited:
Point taken with the seats. I'll see what I can find. Thanks for the help with the Clear Red, that doesn't look too hard to find. I'm very OCD about getting things as close to perfect as possible, so getting the right paint for the block is going to be tricky. If all else fails I'll just have to get a different red.

Tamiya Weathering Master Set D is what I used. There are lots of different ways of achieving a finish, but this worked out easy and cheap. As for places to recommend for shipping to United States, not sure! I got mine from ebay.

tamiya-weathering-master-d-set.jpg

Thanks for the quick response! I found someone selling it on ebay. They are from the UK though. My local modeling shop said they couldn't get them in anymore and I can't find them on sites like amazon or tamiyausa. It's not that big of a deal, but it would definitely add nice detail. I may try to get in touch with the guy from UK and see about shipping to the states. Thanks again.

Point taken with the seats. I'll see what I can find. Thanks for the help with the Clear Red, that doesn't look too hard to find. I'm very OCD about getting things as close to perfect as possible, so getting the right paint for the block is going to be tricky. If all else fails I'll just have to get a different red.

Just Google whatever model you have, with 'scale model forum' and there will probably be loads of discussion by others and they recommend paint that is better and more accurate then what is in the instructions.

Hmmm... I found a Semi Gloss Black spray on Tamiya's website but it's a lacquer. All the other paints I've gotten so far are enamels. Would it be a bad idea to do some parts in enamel and some parts in lacquer? And I Googled what you said and it just looks like other people are using a generic orange/red for the block.

And what do you use to do the fuel lines? I know it doesn't come in the kit.

I'm generally doing my models in a 'out of the box' style. I do easy wiring and tweaks like that, so your better off browsing dedicated forums for information like that. I don't normally use enamel as it is a pain to clean the brushes after! But you can use both.

They will rub off slightly if they haven't been sealed. I don't normally bother sealing them, once the engine has been located, it is quite tricky to even get to the exhaust to smudge them. But if you are using them for more external effects a light spray with a clear coat would be in order.

OK, thanks for the heads up 👍

@dhandes: Yeah, I know I have to get thinner to clean my brushes off with. I only have a few enamels though, so it's not too late to buy the rest in acrylic or lacquer. Which one do you use out of the three?

OK. I'll just have to try them out for myself to see which works best/is most readily accessible to me.

Thanks for all your help, and I'm going to order the paints ASAP. Will sand the body and prime everything in the meantime.

Quick update on the MP4/13. I started with the decals, which there are around a hundred to do, most of them went on ok, apart from the nose one that lifted off for an unknown reason! It's going to need a bit of paint matching on that, to make it look ok. Once I've done that and the gloss coat, it should be fine. It is starting to look like a F1 car now.
IMAG0526.jpg

IMAG0528.jpg

Back