General Model Kit Building Thread

Far from perfection I'm afraid.
The pictures don't show off the errors I made. Especially on the rear of the car.
Pictures making the thing look better. That's a first. :P

Well.. To me it looks fantastic.

:odd:

Owh.. Or perhaps you're just lucky the car is in black. If it's in white, I could perhaps see all the flaws you've made :mischievous:

Well at least it looks like a car, and not a train + tank :lol:

Looks very nice. I would have sanded the tires to make them look a bit worn, but to each his own.

Thats not a bad idea! I wouldnt risk touching it now though incase any of the stickers move of fall off!!:indiff: A driver to go in would be cool too...
Next model i might actually buy that sticker softener

Won't help too much, since the stickers can still fall off. You need to protect the decals with a clear coat of lacquer.

Today I bought this. :)
128258-10941.jpg

m42C.jpg

Just got this today, a few problems though i have to paint the body chrome and I have no idea what paint to use as well as laquer. I used car paint on a model a while ago and the results were terrible! Also this one also has a sh** load of decals is there any way of making them easier to apply without using that microset stuff incase I cant get hold of it??

It also has an engine to build, quite detailed should take more than a month this time! :P

As for the chrome... Yeah, that's a problem. There's two ways of making chrome look good on a model that I know of. The first is bare metal foil where you basically wrap a thin foil on the place you want to be chromed. This is a terrible idea for something as big as this and I don't know why I mentioned it.

The other is Alclad paint. It's a paint that lets you represent chrome very well. I'm going to guess you don't have an airbrush so you wouldn't be able to use this either.

So... I have no idea to be honest.
As for the decals there's not much you can do other than cut them very precisely(cut off the transparent edge) and use microsol.

I'd go with Alclad too, best thing you can use to do fake chrome in my opinion. Just don't forget to prime everything nicely, as it will screw up your parts if it's in direct contact with them.
And yeah, you'd need an airbrush. But they're found cheap on many places, and pay for themselves in work quality as well as in paint and time saved.

Here's a linky:
http://www.snmstuff.co.uk/faq/alclad

As for the decals, Apokalipse said basically what there is to know. Be thorough and accurate with them, it will worth it.
👍

Good-news.jpg

Good news everyone!!

Found some decal softner on the internet i may order if the model shop doesnt have it. I went to my local halfords and bought some chrome enamel paint. Not completely chrome but the best im going to get it without an airbrush it seems..

Looks better in person, one less problem :)

^ Is Krylon spray paint like this (or an equivalent) not available there? It's been a long while since I've done a model but I'm pretty sure it's readily available here.

Not that particular brand but definately similar stuff, its okay the finish from my spray is pretty good you can kinda see a reflection on the cardboard to give you an idea of the finish...

Hahaha! That was the desired effect :)

Rear assembly done and a little sneaky peak on the body...

The model shop only had decal fix so I bought it anyway, not very effective just seems like water lol that said though the stickers are going on fine this time, maybe the other mclaren was just an old model...

TB
^ Is Krylon spray paint like this (or an equivalent) not available there? It's been a long while since I've done a model but I'm pretty sure it's readily available here.

I've used that, had to strip it. I don't know if it was because I had no primer under it, but it kept leaving black spots O_o

I think thats when theres grease or something on the bit your painting and it doesnt stick properly, priming it will fix it and so will cleaning it or keying it very lightly with sandpaper....

:ouch: you have NO idea how stupid I felt when I came back and saw it. I literally just forgot it was there haha. Anyways I salvaged the wheels, front and rear wings and a few others. I want to buy the model again and start over as it was looking good before i fudged it...

That's a shame. These things happen though and now you know not to do that anymore.

After all the hard work you put on the McLaren only to be ruined by that simple single mistake. :(

Take that as a lesson. Never put your model next to a heating source...

Man thats tragic, sorry to see it get so far and then melt in seconds! You could make some sort of crash diorama out of it which would look pretty neat.

This is why I don't model stuff in winter, its too dark and cold which means accidents happen! (I've learnt the hard way a couple of times).

Ouch. I think I'd cry, especially after all that work. Time to get creative and see what kind of crash diorama you can come up with.

Does anyon else make these, if so post your images here.

OK.....

Ferrari 250 GTO (1:24 scale) by Andrew Robertson, on Flickr

612 5 by Andrew Robertson, on Flickr

430 by Andrew Robertson, on Flickr

The-Ultimate-Enzo by Andrew Robertson, on Flickr

F2007 by Andrew Robertson, on Flickr

FXX by Andrew Robertson, on Flickr

I've also done a racing F40, a F50 and an F60 (although that one was a slightly larger scale...1/20th I think) but don't have pics online.

An American car....

Shelby GT500 by Andrew Robertson, on Flickr

....complete with hacked up body in the boot....

Hacked up dead body in the boot by Andrew Robertson, on Flickr

And a couple of others.....

R8 by Andrew Robertson, on Flickr

Nissan GT-R by Andrew Robertson, on Flickr

Cheers,
Andy

I've been meaning to buy a model kit for about 4 years, I'm missing out.
One things for sure, those fake tattoos that come wrapped around a piece of chewing gum make great decals, except you won't have a mirrored variant for the other side of the car.

Looking on ebay now. Will probably get a non-racecar.

Latest Posts

Back