My Racing Simulation [Build 07]

• Thread starter jujunosuke
  • 860 comments
Version 0.1, Build 01 available for download (PC).
Soon i will upload MAC version.

Any feedback that can help me to improve the game is very welcome.
But at the moment it is still a very beta version.

Enjoy !

Nice game. What are the keyboard controls though I can't get out of first gear.

Sorry, i forgot to mention them on the first page.

Arrows = accelerate/turn/brake.
L/M = shift down/shift up gears.
C = change camera views.
SPACE = Handbrake.

But the L/M Settings are for French Keyboard i suppose....
I completely forgot to change them to match international play.

Which key do you recommend ?

Something using the left hand. A and S may work.

New problem. Where is the default save location I can't find the file. :lol: I opened it dirctly from download.

I downloaded this yesterday and totally forgot amid the confusion of the Steam sales, I just had a go and it's truly remarkable! Obviously you've got a long way to go if you want to make a realistic sim but you're off to a great start, it's actually not far off Ridge Racer physics right now and for a first build from someone who presumably has never made a driving/racing sim before that's incredible.

If you're looking for bug reports, I have one: If you keep pressing downshift, your revs drop to 0 and then climb back up, I managed to make the needle do a full 360.

I can't wait to see where you take this, an 'open source' race sim would be incredible for the community should you wish to go that route.

neema_t
I can't wait to see where you take this, an 'open source' race sim would be incredible for the community should you wish to go that route.

That would be incredibly cool. If it could gain some traction and gain a following then the mods that could be produced would be incredible.

Thank you so much for people who downloaded and tested the demo !

New problem. Where is the default save location I can't find the file. I opened it dirctly from download.

Yes i can't do much about this one lol. You have to take a look at your browser default save path :)

it's actually not far off Ridge Racer physics right now
Its the worst compliment ever lol. Did you actually play Ridge Racer ?
Ridge Racer feel more like boat on ice actually, i don't think there is even any rev limiter...
Anyway, thank you for your sweat comments and encouragements !

If you're looking for bug reports, I have one: If you keep pressing downshift, your revs drop to 0 and then climb back up, I managed to make the needle do a full 360.

Thanks for this one !
I will have a look and correct it for the next build.

That is indeed the best route as you said !

To be honest, i think that my sim need some good tweaking.
There are a lot of parameters (Tires, drivetrain, engine, and much more).
Every little change in the settings and the driving style can be totally different.

So, i am waiting for your feedback to tweak these settings and make it better and better !

I promise that every new build will have its lot of improvement and try to simulate everything better than before.

Thank you again for people who took time to try and report the demo.
More to come soon so stay tunned !

To be honest, i think that my sim need some good tweaking.
There are a lot of parameters (Tires, drivetrain, engine, and much more).
Every little change in the settings and the driving style can be totally different.

So, i am waiting for your feedback to tweak these settings and make it better and better !

I promise that every new build will have its lot of improvement and try to simulate everything better than before.

Thank you again for people who took time to try and report the demo.
More to come soon so stay tunned !

If you focus on tires, I think that that option is the best. The best simulators focus on tires. If you get everything with the tires right (stint length, grip loss, tyre degradation, tyre wear etc.) you'll have millions of drivers flocking to you. So far as I know, it's why most people flock to iRacing and rFactor.

Very nice so far! :D

On the topic of bugs and glitches, I have noticed a few:

1. If you push reset while making a turn, there is a small chance that you will land outside the track, and/or upside down.

2. If you do manage to go out of the track, it's very possible to go into free fall mode.

3. if you accelerate up to 6th gear, and then downshift to neutral, the engine will keep on revving even when you're not on the accelerator. Ideally, the engine should go down to idle.

gamexp.png

Looking forward for more! :)

Very nice so far! :D

On the topic of bugs and glitches, I have noticed a few:

1. If you push reset while making a turn, there is a small chance that you will land outside the track, and/or upside down.

2. If you do manage to go out of the track, it's very possible to go into free fall mode.

3. if you accelerate up to 6th gear, and then downshift to neutral, the engine will keep on revving even when you're not on the accelerator. Ideally, the engine should go down to idle.

gamexp.png

Looking forward for more! :)

Dat speedometer; NEW LAND SPEED RECORD!

Lol, yeah, the reset button was pretty much a beta test hehe.

I will try to fix that for the next version.

Thanks for your report !

Fantastic that was alot of fun your off to a great start!!!

Edit: also liked the trackside camera.

Last edited:
jujunosuke
Its the worst compliment ever lol. Did you actually play Ridge Racer ?
Ridge Racer feel more like boat on ice actually, i don't think there is even any rev limiter...
Anyway, thank you for your sweat comments and encouragements !

Ha ha, I see what you mean but I meant well! I just meant that you can go very sideways for quite long and recover it quite easily like Ridge Racer, and I drove one lap completely Ridge Racer style, though it's not just RR physics of course.

As I said before, you're off to a very promising start and I hope you continue to keep us updated with your progress!

Downloaded it and I must say, I'm impressed. Looks very promising! As for the shift up and down buttons, I'd recommend A and S as of now.

👍

Downloaded it and I must say, I'm impressed. Looks very promising! As for the shift up and down buttons, I'd recommend A and S as of now.

👍

Or even giving us the option to choose buttons, especially if the physics turn out REALLY well, and people start going G27 on this game. :lol: That would help figure out the switch to the G27...

My findings:

1. Can't rev in neutral(or other gears) when you use the handbrake.
2. When trying to do a donut using brake and throttle at the same time it was possible to turn the wheels to the right but not to the left.

All in all for a first build you did a great job. 👍

Last edited:
Any information about if this will support wheels in the near future? Gamepad would be fine for me as well, just anything but a keyboard. :)

I would like to thanks all people who tested the demo so far.
This is a very great feedback for me and my simulation :)

Ha ha, I see what you mean but I meant well! I just meant that you can go very sideways for quite long and recover it quite easily like Ridge Racer, and I drove one lap completely Ridge Racer style, though it's not just RR physics of course.

Yeah, i see, the demo car settings was actually very drift oriented.
The rear tires have a little bit less grip than the front.

Definitely, the next demo will have A and S for shifting.
Btw, this may be a dumb question but, A is for shiftdown and S is for shift up right ?

My findings:

1. Can't rev in neutral(or other gears) when you use the handbrake.
2. When trying to do a donut using brake and throttle at the same time it was possible to turn the wheels to the right but not to the left.

All in all for a first build you did a great job.

Thanks for this great report !
Rev in neutral when use handbrake should be corrected in the next demo !
But for other gears, i will let it as it is, because handbrake + acceleration on a RWD means damage to engine and handbrake in real life.
I didn't implement clutch simulation yet...
So basically when use handbrake = i stop the revs.

For the number 2, i guess it has something to do with the keyboard...
Sometimes keyboards react strangely when multiple keys are pressed at the same time. This is kind of annoying. Using a Gamepad automatically fix the issue.

Any information about if this will support wheels in the near future? Gamepad would be fine for me as well, just anything but a keyboard.

I will add the wheel support in my task list !
As for the Gamepad, it is already working. Any kind of USB gamepad should be automatically detected.

At the moment, the Gamepad settings are (old school) PSX oriented Gamepad.
Cross = accelerate
Square = brake
Circle = handbrake
L2 = change view
R1/R2 = shift down/up gears.

Again i am very happy that people tested my work and give feedback on it.
It is really an awesome experience for me to receive feedback from a worldwide racing game enthusiast community !!!

Definitely, the next demo will have A and S for shifting. Btw, this may be a dumb question but, A is for shiftdown and S is for shift up right ?
Great! I pefer A for upshifting and S for downshifting but should be entirely optional and up to each one.

:)

Keyboard have limitation of 3 max simultaneous presses, more than that, it won't register, at least that's what I found on most keyboard, a friend told me there are certain keyboard that can do more than 3 presses at a time. By the way, I'd just downloaded the demo, looks promising, great job !!!!

For the number 2, i guess it has something to do with the keyboard...
Sometimes keyboards react strangely when multiple keys are pressed at the same time. This is kind of annoying. Using a Gamepad automatically fix the issue.

Indeed.
I know that some keyboards have issues with mostly three keys pressed simultaneously.
But it's strange that wheels to the right works and to the left does not.
Ah well it's a racing game not a donut game :lol:

is this game open world ahaha i hope u can remake nfs high stakes ahahaha just a dream lol

He's currently working on real simulation physics. He can simply download a very large track and put it in, but I'm thinking that it's not necessarily the point of the game. However, as it is a PC game, game add-ons shouldn't be too hard to find/make, and it could be possible.

I'm just reading about this for the first time and will try the demo tonight, however I was wondering, how about making the parameters (grip, ground friction etc) modifiable via a text or xml file, so we can try our own settings, and perhaps suggest improvements for the handling? This would also allow others to create their own cars with setting sheets, if you are OK with this.

EDIT: Another small piece of advice, if you are going to use a "real" car without presumably having the licence to do so, I would choose something other than ******i, as they are *very* hot on that kinda thing ;)

Last edited:
This would also allow others to create their own cars with setting sheets, if you are OK with this.

This could also work with dirt/rain simulations too, I suppose. :) Good idea, I hope jujunosuke agrees.

Also, I'd be down for this game, if there was an Evo X and a Soarer SC400. :)

Thank you for your interest everyone ! I will try to answer questions :

how about making the parameters (grip, ground friction etc) modifiable via a text or xml file, so we can try our own settings, and perhaps suggest improvements for the handling? This would also allow others to create their own cars with setting sheets, if you are OK with this.

That is a very good idea. I am already used to worke with XML format so this should not be hard to implement. However, it require some change in the code to make it dynamic and this take some time.
But i definitely add this to my task list for a future release.

EDIT: Another small piece of advice, if you are going to use a "real" car without presumably having the licence to do so, I would choose something other than ******i, as they are *very* hot on that kinda thing

Yes, thats a good one !
Fortunately, i have a lot of other cars that i love, so i will add them in a future release.

Also, I'd be down for this game, if there was an Evo X and a Soarer SC400.
That is nice because in the future i would like to add a typical 4WD rally car and the Evo was the car i had in mind !
Actually in the current demo, the road is completely flat, so in a next build, it would be good to add a dirty and bumpy road, that would help me to improve the suspension system and put the physics to a new level in this area.

Sorry if you have stated it somewhere but is this wheel compatible? Would like to try it.

I plan to buy a cheap wheel very soon to be able to make the sim wheel compatible.
You just need to wait for the compatibility.

Anyway, thank you again everyone for the really nice feedback. This boost me very well !

I have to say that this sim is a very hard task because i have to create the tracks and the cars by myself on top of creating believable cars physics lol... :(

I guess that i have to admit that i don't have the resource to make something pro.
Where should i stop ?

Right now, i am thinking about choosing compromise because i don't know how much time i will be able to handle all this work.

Dman, this is tough :(

Just had a chance to download and try it, very very cool! I don't think i'm very good at it lol but I should remap the keys or use a pad. On that note do you know if it supports analog, as long as the calibration built into Windows is set up OK, or is that something you have to build into the game? I'd really benefit from an analog throttle on my pad (DS3 with adaptor software) as I am spinning out a lot ;)

The physics are excellent though, way better than many full priced games on the market. Well done, I hope you have the time to work on this as it looks very promising :)

Back