My review of project gotham 2

• Thread starter IDAFC21
  • 161 comments
It depends what you like. If you like realism and ****ty AI, go with GT. If you like a good time and a more sociable experience, pick up PGR2. I've got both, and I think PGR2 is more fun.

i agree fully. pg2 is a great social game to play online, and yes the graphics and sound effects and all that are amazing, and while the controls are quite good, the cars still dont have that simulation feel that GT3 has. no game will ever compare to the level of realism that the gt series has achieved

Originally posted by IDAFC21
i agree fully. pg2 is a great social game to play online, and yes the graphics and sound effects and all that are amazing, and while the controls are quite good, the cars still dont have that simulation feel that GT3 has. no game will ever compare to the level of realism that the gt series has achieved
This is my point, the games are different, one shouldn't fear the other. I'm more for realism, so I prefer GT. My big hope is that GT4 has the E-type like PGR2, hasn't PGR2 made the Jag look good.:)

You guys that own PGR2, please buy Xbox Live so that we can play some system link games over the internet and talk to each other too.

Yiehaa! I'm waiting for the delivery of my Xbox w PGR2 now.. it will arrive in an hour.

Mabye I get the livekit later on if I get some cash over..

i literally have 4 subscription cards lying around my room from games that ive bought. rainbow six 3 had one, pgr2, ghost recon island thunder and my xbox came with one. sucks for you then. sorry.

That is also why I bought an XBOX. Just for this game. IT really is worth the buy.
I hope a PGR3 is on the maker's minds. 👍

My impressions;

PGR2GOOD
+Ferrari (super awesome)
+Porsche (awesome)
+Koenigsegg (seriously yummy)
+Saleen (yummy)
+Nurburgring (best. track. ever.)

PGR2BAD
-Car detail (not up to Gran Turismo quality, although i understand that could be because they are deformable)
-Car damage (i don't like it unless it is done properly (a la Burnout games))
-Car sounds (some - like the 360 Challenge Stradale and 355 F1 sound very realistic, whereas other like the R34 Skyline GT-R, BMW M3 (or is it M5?) and ferrari F50 just aren't up to Gran Turismo quality)

Don't get me wrong, i do like the game - love the cone challenges, but i only see it as an arcade game - and apart from skid marks, exotic manufacturers and the walk around showroom & garages - Gran Turismo has it beat.

Mustang-man
My impressions;

PGR2GOOD
+Ferrari (super awesome)
+Porsche (awesome)
+Koenigsegg (seriously yummy)
+Saleen (yummy)
+Nurburgring (best. track. ever.)

PGR2BAD
-Car detail (not up to Gran Turismo quality, although i understand that could be because they are deformable)
-Car damage (i don't like it unless it is done properly (a la Burnout games))
-Car sounds (some - like the 360 Challenge Stradale and 355 F1 sound very realistic, whereas other like the R34 Skyline GT-R, BMW M3 (or is it M5?) and ferrari F50 just aren't up to Gran Turismo quality)

Don't get me wrong, i do like the game - love the cone challenges, but i only see it as an arcade game - and apart from skid marks, exotic manufacturers and the walk around showroom & garages - Gran Turismo has it beat.

Uh...they're not up to GT3 quality b/c its not GT3. And as far as I'm conerned, the damage is real enough along with detail. The sounds are pretty good. And if you only like it b/c of the manufacturers, well....well, that's you, and there's alot more than that. And its the M3.

The damage is pretty bad, they were better off not even having it. I rented the game last week so i could finally beat it. Low replay value if not playing online. Glad i got rid of it while it was still worth $25.

Forza should fill all the voids PGR2 left.( I hope)

Flaws I found in PGR2...

30 fps (after you play rsc2, then go to this....ugh)
Dodgy physics in places, cars got abit...funny at high speeds I found
Jaggy edges on graphics

But the game was superb fun, and still looks and sounds great. Man does it sound great :) VROOMMM!!!! Taking then enzo on the nurb, and seeing the HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE draw distance is still pretty awesome. I'm certainly glad I bought it.

code_kev
Flaws I found in PGR2...

30 fps (after you play rsc2, then go to this....ugh)
Dodgy physics in places, cars got abit...funny at high speeds I found
Jaggy edges on graphics

But the game was superb fun, and still looks and sounds great. Man does it sound great :) VROOMMM!!!! Taking then enzo on the nurb, and seeing the HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE draw distance is still pretty awesome. I'm certainly glad I bought it.

For some reason I think RSC2 uses the exact same graphics engine as PGR2, All they did was take away the white specular off the cars. RSC2 runs at 30fps in replays, Why ? I do not know.

"For some reason I think RSC2 uses the exact same graphics engine as PGR2, All they did was take away the white specular off the cars. "

That reason would be insanity, RSC2 looks nothing like PGR2 in any way.

LaBounti
For some reason I think RSC2 uses the exact same graphics engine as PGR2, All they did was take away the white specular off the cars. RSC2 runs at 30fps in replays, Why ? I do not know.

so D.I.C.E. shared the same game engine with Bizarre creations huh?

ERRRRR...

That would explain the completely different look and feel of each game then right?

:dunce:

LaBounti

Why not take 5 mins to do a little research on google before posting. Maybe you dont know now but everyone here is atleast "google smart" so it shouldnt be that hard to figure out.

The game boasts several new features, including a new graphics engine,...

There that took me less than 10 seconds to find on the rsc2 site. New graphics engine means its not the same as anyone elses.

They do have a similar look. Just different design. Also I dont care enough to do research. I did not know super sensitive people would be so interested in my ignorant opinion.

A simple correction would been nice.

Uh...they're not up to GT3 quality b/c its not GT3.
Well yeah, i realise that...

And as far as I'm conerned, the damage is real enough along with detail.
I hit a wall at 320km/h in a Porsche (the GT2 i think) and all it got was a slightly squashed front end. :odd:

The sounds are pretty good.
Yeah, but they would be better in Gran Turismo. Perhaps they use different techniques?

And if you only like it b/c of the manufacturers, well....well, that's you, and there's alot more than that.
I like it more than Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2. Yes it is mainly because of the cars - the reason being that you can't use these cars in many other games. If Gran Turismo had Ferrari, Porsche (as well as RUF), Lamborghini etc then i'd probably never play a 'normal' NFS game again.

And its the M3.
Cheers. I thought it was. :cool:

In response to the first few posts (game is amazing, sounds spot-on, amzing physics etc.) i think you just got a little carried away with this game. Personally, i cant stand it. It's been sitting on my shelf for about 6 months collecting dust and simply adding to my racing game collection. If you've ever played Midtown Madness 3, you will be greatly dissapointed after buying PGR2, this is because PGR2 is made by Microsoft (along with MM3) and the lazy bastards just made PGR2 off of the same physics engine. Happen to notice the similarity in graphics? Physics? SOUNDS??? The sound files in PGR2 are few and far between, meaning that a Ferrari F40 will sound suspiciously like a 1968 Ford Mustang 2+2 Fastback...although the fastback is obviously a little deeper and throatier, but all they do is use a small amount of sound files and mix them with other ones at varying volumes. Your ears my friend, are being decieved. Possibly the only reason this says "#1 Racing Franchise on X-Box" is probably because the game itself is made by the same owner of Xbox, which is Microsoft, but don't forget the quite large amount of cars in that game, some of which you will never race with or race against. Then there are the Kudos. Im not even going to get started on those damn things. Sometimes it seem that for every 100hp a car has, it costs 1 tolkein. At other times it seems as though for 200lb's it weighs, it costs 1 tolkein. The price scheme never seems to have a solid basis, and the tolkeins also never seem to be relative to real cost. It could be relative to real cost, but then every car would have to be in different currencies as some vehicles out-perform others in every way, are from the same country, are in the same class, but may have say 600hp and the other has 160hp, yet they cost the same. Now folks, whos going to waste 4 Tolkeins on a 160hp accord when they could have a porsche, ferrarri, etc. Of course im exagerating a little, but you get my drift. Which leads me to another aspect: drifting. Does microsoft know what drifting is, or is it still called "Powersliding" ie. Midtown Madness 2? The so called powersliding, another word for "slam on your E-brake and slide around a corner 'cause your car is FWD" seems viable, but then you try it out on other racers (NFSU for instance) and even they seem to be a little more accurate in theyre tire grip suspension steering ratios etc. than this. I would strongly recommend you spend hours perfecting your racing line and drift skills in one car on the test track before buying it. It takes a little getting used to what i like to call "elastic physics" which seem to describe how the cars perform when theyre cornering at high speeds or dodging objects or car wrecks up ahead of you. I'm going to have to cut this short however becuase Monster Garage is comming on right now, hope my review was usefull. :sly:

PublicSecrecy
In response to the first few posts (game is amazing, sounds spot-on, amzing physics etc.) i think you just got a little carried away with this game. Personally, i cant stand it. It's been sitting on my shelf for about 6 months collecting dust and simply adding to my racing game collection. If you've ever played Midtown Madness 3, you will be greatly dissapointed after buying PGR2, this is because PGR2 is made by Microsoft (along with MM3) and the lazy bastards just made PGR2 off of the same physics engine. Happen to notice the similarity in graphics? Physics? SOUNDS??? The sound files in PGR2 are few and far between, meaning that a Ferrari F40 will sound suspiciously like a 1968 Ford Mustang 2+2 Fastback...although the fastback is obviously a little deeper and throatier, but all they do is use a small amount of sound files and mix them with other ones at varying volumes. Your ears my friend, are being decieved. Possibly the only reason this says "#1 Racing Franchise on X-Box" is probably because the game itself is made by the same owner of Xbox, which is Microsoft, but don't forget the quite large amount of cars in that game, some of which you will never race with or race against. Then there are the Kudos. Im not even going to get started on those damn things. Sometimes it seem that for every 100hp a car has, it costs 1 tolkein. At other times it seems as though for 200lb's it weighs, it costs 1 tolkein. The price scheme never seems to have a solid basis, and the tolkeins also never seem to be relative to real cost. It could be relative to real cost, but then every car would have to be in different currencies as some vehicles out-perform others in every way, are from the same country, are in the same class, but may have say 600hp and the other has 160hp, yet they cost the same. Now folks, whos going to waste 4 Tolkeins on a 160hp accord when they could have a porsche, ferrarri, etc. Of course im exagerating a little, but you get my drift. Which leads me to another aspect: drifting. Does microsoft know what drifting is, or is it still called "Powersliding" ie. Midtown Madness 2? The so called powersliding, another word for "slam on your E-brake and slide around a corner 'cause your car is FWD" seems viable, but then you try it out on other racers (NFSU for instance) and even they seem to be a little more accurate in theyre tire grip suspension steering ratios etc. than this. I would strongly recommend you spend hours perfecting your racing line and drift skills in one car on the test track before buying it. It takes a little getting used to what i like to call "elastic physics" which seem to describe how the cars perform when theyre cornering at high speeds or dodging objects or car wrecks up ahead of you. I'm going to have to cut this short however becuase Monster Garage is comming on right now, hope my review was usefull. :sly:

hehe. You should really edit that.

TOTALLY OFF.

Bizzare Creations developed the game, and created their own proprietary physics engine, graphics engine, sound engine. Basically, the whole thing is their intellectual property. Microsoft just funded and published it.

You should have kept what dignity you had and just said that you hated the game.

Latest Posts

Back