My triple screen office rig: 46" 55" 46" Tv lift & Carbon fiber Dashboard + GS-4 Seat

• Thread starter HoiHman
  • 528 comments
Loving your build and its continued progress.

I doubt though that this will be the end of the upgrades... 👍

Have you tried iHUD on iPad?
Can you discuss more your fave apps and software that are a must mate?

Thanks Rodney, :)

This should be the end of all upgrades, but thats what i thought a couple of month ago too.

I think a lot of guys agree: The build is half the fun :D

Yes i have Ihud on the Ipad and Ipod and it's a great app. I use it most of the time only on the ipod , because that is positioned right above the wheel base.

That is the perfect spot for any race info

The Ipad is mainly used with Air Display as my dedicated Simvibe Touch screen.

That setup looks sweet, Henk. 👍
Might have to get myself such a nice button box someday. Looks handy. Especially with the chosen functions on there.

Let's hope that the CSW will bring you a lot of join soon, if possible before the holidays at least. ;)

That setup looks sweet, Henk. 👍
Might have to get myself such a nice button box someday. Looks handy. Especially with the chosen functions on there.

Let's hope that the CSW will bring you a lot of join soon, if possible before the holidays at least. ;)

Thanks, Christiaan. :)

I'm hoping a bit sooner.

Lots of buttons available now, i realy love the rotary encoders. Was plannig on labeling the wheel too, but i will wait now untill i'm trouble free.

Really looking great.
I must say, the coolest office imaginable ;)

Thank you, i finally got the 'real' BMW logo :D

nice setup.

now all you need is a hydraulic pedal like this which you can build yourself with some tilton pedals, linear potentiometers, couple of master cylinders , bodnar 12 bit card and some base to fit them on.

CaILc.jpg

nice setup.

now all you need is a hydraulic pedal like this which you can build yourself with some tilton pedals, linear potentiometers, couple of master cylinders , bodnar 12 bit card and some base to fit them on.

Dude - that is Off the hook 👍👍👍- nice job on the hydro peds.

Just a picture of the recent updates:

dsc02749wh.jpg

Added a DSD Velocity R5, new CSW ipod holder and offcourse a new CSW.

More details later.

PS: Not happy with my CSW, hope this will change soon.

Henk, Nice job on the mount and the whole cockpit , how do you get any work done with an office like THAT??? - I'd be "honey, Im 'working' all day!!!" :D

Hope this gets sorted out for you, kind of surprised by the situation.

I would think that the exposure their flagship products receive on your hi-traffic thread would provide impetus for them to keep the gears well lubricated...

...but there seems to be a bit of grinding going on.

The BMW rim is replaced, they are sending me new springs for QR. I hope that will solve my issues. If not than i'm sending everything RMA. The issue is that now i have to use the screw on the QR the whole time, which is not how it should be:grumpy:

nice setup.

Those pedals look awesome, but i'm quite happy with my modified CSPv2

Henk, Nice job on the mount and the whole cockpit , how do you get any work done with an office like THAT??? - I'd be "honey, Im 'working' all day!!!" :D

During the day everything is stored, so it's ALL work and no play.

Today i started with step one of making a custom dashboard for my rig.

The idea is to fully integrate my Ipad 1 as a touchscreen display.

I really want it look like the ipad is a part of my rig and not just a seperate ipad sitting on my desk. (like the way it is now)

dsc02974iq.jpg

dsc02977id.jpg

The first idea was to cover the aluminum plate with carbon fiber foil.

But now i have sanded the aluminum plate, i kind of like that look too. :)

So help me here guys, should i go for the carbon fiber look or go for the brushed aluminum:confused:

Drill a hole for the home button first though. It'll be a pain to not have access to it.

As for Carbon or Alu. It all depends on if you think carbon is overdone these days. Of course the alu look goes with the 80/20 of your rig better, but the carbon wold be better with the black of the CSW and DSD box.

Hard to decide really. I think I would bend the alu and attach it to the CSW without using the accessory holes, but rather the screws of the side panels and motor mount (which I don't suggest doing on a wheel under warranty and with proper tensioned belt).

Hope you are enjoy the CSW and everything is sorted for you. I am back on the T500 myself for the time being.

Henk I like the contrast with the aluminum plate and the black of the CSW. It reminds me of the interior trim in a certain German car maker
2011-BMW-Z4-sDrive35is-interior.jpg

So help me here guys, should i go for the carbon fiber look or go for the brushed aluminum:confused:

I would choose the one that seems to go the best aesthetically with the rest of your rig's equipment and ambience. When done it will be a very nice touch!

Hopefully Apple will not significantly change the iPad's present form factor in future releases after all your hard work.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys :)

I've decided to go for the aluminium look for now. Mark makes a very good point, i only wish i could make my cockpit look like that. :D

@Christiaan. I thought about the drilling a hole for the home button, but it would look so well. Once i have switched the ipad on, i really don't need it. Instead of clicking the home button, you can use four fingers to pinch in on the screen and go back to the home screen.

I can always drill a hole later. The CSW is fine, but i still use the screw ALL the time. I hope you get yours repaired soon and i'm looking forward to your videos of the process.👍

@JogoAsobi. Actually i hope they do come out with a new ipad soon.

I currenly waiting for the Ipad 5 and hope i will look like the ipad mini. My old ipad 1, can than take a permant place in my rig.

Henk, Armin will be trying to get me all the parts needed this week. So hopefully very soon (somewhere next month). ;)

One thing I love about you man is your...

Attention
To
Detail

I have an ipad 3 and bought the daughter a "Mini", would suggest to you guys if wanting the "ipad mini" size, maybe wait and see if the next version has a "Retina Display", it makes a nice difference.

When will someone on the forums do a comparison of the major "APPS" available both for apple/android devices, Really would like to see that done.

One thing I love about you man is your...

Attention
To
Detail

I have an ipad 3 and bought the daughter a "Mini", would suggest to you guys if wanting the "ipad mini" size, maybe wait and see if the next version has a "Retina Display", it makes a nice difference.

When will someone on the forums do a comparison of the major "APPS" available both for apple/android devices, Really would like to see that done.

Thanks Rodney :)

I would love see a list a major APPS too, perhaps i've missing one without knowing it.

Assetto Corsa will have an ipad remote control, which is kind of cool.
I hope they support the landscape position too

@JogoAsobi. Actually i hope they do come out with a new ipad soon.

I currenly waiting for the Ipad 5 and hope i will look like the ipad mini. My old ipad 1, can than take a permant place in my rig.

Good! no worries then.
I completely forgot about your 80/20 rig when looking at your desk mount pics.
That being said I would go with the aluminum.

You might be able to have your carbon look as well.
You could go with a carbon fiber graphic as your background image on the iPad.

Last edited:
Thats a good idea JogoAsobi 👍

The new dashboard is finished. Here's a picture:

dsc03053t.jpg

I've polished the aluminium frontplate and will keep the aluminium look for now.

Getting the dashboard attached to the wheel was a lot of work, since there are no drilling templates available for all those bolts on the front of the CSW.

Both my i-devices a now fully integrated in the dash. With all the various sims i have a lot different options how to use them.

In this picture, i'm using the ipod as a gear indicator and the ipad as a trackmap in F1 2012.

The apps i mainly use on both the ipod and ipad use are:

-Airdisplay (simvibe control panel / simvibe dashboards)
-Ihud
-Digital clock (to keep track of time while racing :) )

That looks far better than I thought it would. Plus the fact that all of it looks so tidy again. Just awesome work.

Thanks Christiaan :)

So i kept wondering how it would look in carbon fiber

Here's picture i made while running GSX2012 and iHud on two displays

dsc03107wn.jpg

So which do you guys like better?

Thanks Christiaan :)

So i kept wondering how it would look in carbon fiber

Here's picture i made while running GSX2012 and iHud on two displays

So which do you guys like better?

If I had to be honest. On looks I am indecisive. However, I think that wrapping it in carbonfiber foil causes for a better contrast for the ipad screen and buttons. And another thing, it is less reflective and thus less distractive from your 3 monitors while racing.

Yeah, I will retract my previous statement mate. The Carbon Fibre has great contrast with the screen as Christiaan said.
But perhaps a combination of the both? Maybe behind the wheel just aluminum?

Yeah, I will retract my previous statement mate. The Carbon Fibre has great contrast with the screen as Christiaan said.
But perhaps a combination of the both? Maybe behind the wheel just aluminum?

How about cutting away an edge around everything of about 1 or 2 millimeters around everything. The screen edge and the on/off button of the CSW and so on.
I think this would give a nice highlight to everything and bring some 'alu bling' back. ;)

Latest Posts

Back