NASCAR 2012 Thread

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by Furinkazen, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Furinkazen

Premium
    United Kingdom Blackburn
    PSN:Furinkazen

[​IMG]

NASCAR 2012 THREAD

Who will be champion in 2012? Will Tony Stewart smoke them? Will Jimmie Johnson return? What about Roush, Penske, and all the other's? Who will win the chase for the cup?

This Thread is for general discussion of the 2012 NASCAR Sprint Cup as well as the Nationwide, Camping World Trucks and other NASCAR Series.

Some stories to start us off:

~Danica Patrick to Stewart Haas Racing in a part-schedule including the Daytona 500~

[​IMG]

~Kasey Kahne to the Hendrick Motorsports 5 car in place of Mark Martin who heads to Michael Waltrip Racing's 00.~

[​IMG]

~Red Bull Racing have shut down, leaving Brian Vickers without a ride~

~Kurt Busch lost his job at Penske following an altercation at Homestead with TV crew, leaving David Ragan to possibly move from the Roush-Fenway 6 car. ANother tip for the 22 seat is Sam Hornish Jnr~

~Clint Bowyer leaves Richard Childress for the #15 at Michael Waltrip Racing~

~Best Buy becoem sponsor for Matt Kenseth's 17 Ford~

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  2. Justin

Premium
    United States Minnesota

Allmendinger is in the 22.

Guess I was wrong about Shell not wanting a driver that was sponsored by Valvoline last year.:lol:

Will be interesting to see how he does since he is finally in a competitive ride.

3. Cale

Premium
    United States Henrietta, NY
    PSN:CaleDeRoo

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS YEEESSSSSSSssssSSSSSSSS

4. R1600Turbo

Premium
    United States Arizona
    PSN:R1600Turbo

Saw that coming.

5. Blitz24

Premium
    United States NJ/USA
    PSN:Blitzbay

Allmendinger to the 22, Ragan to the 43 (which may be sponsorless).

6. R1600Turbo

Premium
    United States Arizona

Also: (love the wheels)

[​IMG]

7. Cale

Premium

You sure about that? I thought the rumors were that Kurt may be in that car?

8. Blitz24

Premium
    United States NJ/USA

Reports have been surfacing around the garage area (or wherever they are these days) that he has no interest in that ride. Remember, RPM is essentially a satellite of Roush Fenway and Jack and Kurt haven't been best of friends. Remember 2005?

9. LancerEvo7

United States Clarion, PA
    PSN:GTP_LancerEvo7

AWESOME! Penske is now my favorite team in NASCAR :D Glad AJ found a ride, been a fan of him since he came to Cup in 08, and in ChampCar before that.

10. ranhammerR34

Premium
    United States Indianapolis
    PSN:GTP_ranhammerR34

When I read that AJ was in the 22, I was like: Hey, I said that may happen to a guy who I talk to about racing all the time. :D AWESOME!!! :D --- Randy

11. Cale

Premium

Well maybe he should suck it up, as that's the only open ride worth a crap.

12. Blitz24

Premium
    United States NJ/USA

Kurt won't suck it up. He's as thickheaded as his brother. Its a good and bad trait, in this case, bad.

About AJ, I'm really happy he has a job that is secure for one year at the very least. I've met him twice and he's a great person.

13. Spacegoat

Premium
    Australia Upside Down

Great fit in my opinion, looking forward to seeing how he does. Hopefully both Penske Dodge's will feature in the chase again next year.

14. Justin

Premium
    United States Minnesota

And will be for any foreseeable future. You can obviously rule out Penske and Roush, Hendrick is set for drivers until Gordon retires and RCR probably isn't a huge fan of the Busch brothers currently. That just leaves Gibbs when it comes to front running teams without 4 cars, but he probably has his hands full with Kyle.

Perhaps he is going to try the Prost method and take a "sabbatical".:lol:

Edit: Forgot about SHR, I doubt Stewart wants him either.

15. Blitz24

Premium
    United States NJ/USA

No way Hendrick takes him. When Gordon retires (2014? 2015?) they'll probably have their next driver already in-house and it will be somebody from their development system.

16. 2015? you crazy? Seeing how mark martin is still around Im sure jeff will be around for a long time to come

17. R1600Turbo

Premium
    United States Arizona

Yeah, Jeff's not going anywhere.

18. Blitz24

Premium
    United States NJ/USA

Jeff has mentioned in the past he won't be racing into his 40s. He's 40 now so....

19. R1600Turbo

Premium
    United States Arizona

I wonder if when he retires, if Hendrick would let him take over ownership duties of the #24.

20. Blitz24

Premium
    United States NJ/USA

There's a decent chance that nobody will use it and Hendrick will put (Chase Elliott?) in the 25 if its still available.

21. Furinkazen

Premium
    United Kingdom Blackburn

22. Austin343

United States U. of Chicago

Wow! This all turned out much better than I expected. I'm quite happy to see Allmendinger get an opportunity with a top-tier team, and Busch's signing with Finch should be a fantastic test of how much of performance is due to the car and how much is due to the driver.

23. Cale

Premium

Looks like I'm going to Atlanta next year. Dad wanted to go to Vegas, but I'll probably be in school.

24. Furinkazen

Premium
    United Kingdom Blackburn

Slightly off-topic.. but Premier Sports who had NASCAR coverage last year are a joke. I decided to cancel my subscription, turned out they lost the letter sent requesting it. Then they said they would have it deactivated by start of December... it's still active and I still got to pay with it... Next year I'm sticking with Sky's highlights (should they still run) :grumpy:

25. Justin

Premium
    United States Minnesota

Sounds like you guys just can't seem to get decent coverage across the pond.

Justin.tv should work though if you can tolerate not having it on your TV.

26. Cale

Premium

Looks like Almirola is the leading candidate for the #43 car.

27. Chqr

United Kingdom London
    PSN:Chqr

My 2012 Predictions for Chase Standings Finish

1. Matt Kenseth (2 wins)
    2. Jeff Gordon (3 wins)
    3. Denny Hamlin (3 wins)
    4. Kyle Busch (4 wins)
    5. Kevin Harvick (2 wins)
    6. Clint Bowyer (1 win)
    7. Jimmie Johnson (1 win)
    8. Carl Edwards (2 wins)
    9. Kasey Kahne (1 win)
    10. A. J. Allmendinger (0 wins)
    11. Joey Logano (2 wins)
    12. Jamie McMurray (0 wins)

13. Ambrose (1 win)
    14. Truex Jr. (0 wins)
    15. Ryan Newman (1 win)
    16. Greg Biffle (1 win)
    17. Paul Menard (0 wins)
    18. Jeff Burton (1 win)
    19. Juan Montoya (0 wins)
    20. Dale Earnhardt Jr. (0 wins)

Outside of the Top 20: Brad Keselowski and Kurt Busch

28. Blitz24

Premium
    United States NJ/USA

Busch may not be running Cup championship. Why so low on Keselowski yet the apparent improvement for Allmendinger?

29. Justin

Premium
    United States Minnesota

Why is Stewart not even in the top 20?

I also don't see Bowyer in the chase, he is an inconsistent driver on an even more inconsistent team.

30. Spacegoat

Premium
    Australia Upside Down

This and I really can't see Allmendinger finishing so far ahead of Keselowski.

Next Page »
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.