ORCA - Coming Soon: SILVIA RM SPEC CUP!

• Thread starter BrandonW77
  • 1,150 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
No matter what tires, I will recommend to set ABS off, and try adjusting on the brakebalance to get the 'perfect' match. It does make the ride much easier and controllable, at least when using wheel and pedals.
I tried it inspired by carracer, and by a setting of brakebalance like 5/3 or 3/1, one can start to use both the gas and brake together to steer the car :D

5/3 yikes! On most cars with no abs I need to set the balance to 2/2 or 2/1 to get any modulation on the brakes.

I found No ABS fun to try but impractical to race with and get any consistency. Since the game is obviously not programmed properly for driving without ABS, it means you have to use extremely gentle brake inputs and the DFGT is just not set up for the kind of feedback necessary to drive that way. I've tried it and it is fun sometimes, just not consistent. Were the brake setting adjustments more sensible so you had a wider range of settings where say brakes wouldn't lock up until maybe an 8/3 setting in straight line it would be manageable and you could feather the brakes while cornering and get some decent feel. I have tried stuffing things into the back of the pedal compartment to reduce the travel and introduce a much stiffer feel, but it's not exactly Space Shuttle quality in there and I'm afraid I'm going to snap the pedals or pop something off when I do it.:indiff:

I'd love to see a "no ABS" Time Trial from PD though:tup: and I'd be up for a "no ABS" week in ORCA for fun:tup:

I have been running ABS off quite a bit lately, mostly with rally but have been trying it more and more with regular cars. A couple of tips for people just trying it out. I usually runs 2 2 set up, any more than that and I will start locking the tires up. Its hard to get adjusted to at first, because with ABS on 1 you can go straight to full brake without thinking twice about it. Without ABS you can still get on the brakes pretty heavy, but you have to ease in and ease off. Just getting used to it, but as soon as you do, it makes driving and racing so much more enjoyable. You can actually out brake people, because it is a definite skill, also with cars that push excessively (miata on SS) it really helps with turn in, still not sure if one could be competitive in a seres that allows ABS. You really have to try it when nobody is using ABS otherwise it just gets really frustrating.

^ No offence taken ;)
And I do know it is a matter of personal taste and liking.

It is probably just about practice for me, to get the feeling for the SH.

About ABS off, it is definetly by personal preference.
And I just wanted to notify others, that it might would be something to test on their own.
I wouldn't have tried it, if not carracer had said he was going to try. However, I don't ifhe liked it or not.
At least, I did... :)

I tried,5/5 and 2/0 for the brake balance, I was faster on 5/5 but I kept locking up.
2/0 was fun but I was a full second off my pace. I'm not good with ABS off because I have almost zero feedback from the the DFGT pedals or my DS3 controller.
RDA was asking if we tried ABS off, that's why I gave it a shot.

I final have found the fastest way to break in a car :) For those who don't know:

What I didn't know is you don't have to complete a race to have the miles count toward your mileage. By using the Indy 500, your car can run almost flat-out, maximizing the amount of miles that can be racked up in the shortest amount of time.

Step One: go to the setting sheet, and go to setting sheet "B". We're going to leave "A" stock, unmodified for Spec racing.

Step Two:
we're going to add some horsepower and drivetrain options to the car to make the car's average speed at Indy faster.
Inside the car tuning sheet B, buy all the parts. Turbo, supercharger, suspension, etc. Remember, only buy the stuff inside the sheet. If you buy something in the GT5 life menu for buying tuning parts, you may accidentally buy something you can't remove (weight reduction, engine, stuff like that). Remember, only buy stuff you can remove.

Step Three: go to the B-Spec races list and select Indy 500. It should be under the endurance events.

Step Four: once it's loaded, go to your car's tuning options. First add racing medium tires, second lower the suspension to the lowest setting, third set your brake bias to 0/0.

Step Five:
start the race. If you notice your car bouncing off the red limiter down the straights, exit the race, got back in the tuning options, and adjust your transmission's top speed accordingly.

Step Six:
start the race again, get some work done, leave the house, rake some leaves, watch TV. Then come back in a little over an hour, check on your Bob, and quit the race once he's past lap 76. That should equal 200 miles. At 200 miles, you car should be fully broke in. Only a couple cars need more.

Step Seven:
after you've exited, go to GT auto, change your oil, rebuild the engine and chassis. Then go back to your garage, open up your car's tuning sheet, set it to sheet A (untouched default), and you're ready for Spec racing. 👍

I found No ABS fun to try but impractical to race with and get any consistency.
...and the DFGT is just not set up for the kind of feedback necessary to drive that way. ... I have tried stuffing things into the back of the pedal compartment to reduce the travel and introduce a much stiffer feel, but it's not exactly Space Shuttle quality in there and I'm afraid I'm going to snap the pedals or pop something off when I do it.:indiff:

I tried stuffing some high density foam in there - It was fine to start with and then it really compacted which negated the effect. So I tried other pieces, with a bit of success however the bit that gave the best feel had the horrible side effect of making braking go from 0% straight to 50%! Nightmare. Above 50% the feel was really good but in cars like the NSX I was getting dizzy from spinning so much.

I'd love to see a "no ABS" Time Trial from PD though:tup: and I'd be up for a "no ABS" week in ORCA for fun:tup:

👍 Or we could do the best of both options and have an ORCA no-ABS time trial.

tumbleweed.gif

Boy is it quiet on here!

I had the same thoughts. I actually haven't even raced the past 2 days because I have felt so crumby. Looking forward to tonight though.

I'm 50/50 on being there tonight. Kids are staying at Grandparents. Prob get out and do something. However I may cut it short to be home in time to race with you all.

Not sure I'll make it either unless insomnia sets in... Driving up to Grand Rapids, MI very early in the morning, hoping to be long asleep at 9:00pm.

Owens, you don't have to cut your Cougar hunting expedition short just to come race, we'll understand...

LoL my hunting license only permits me to hunt cougar when there are no scheduled races.

I'll be there, should have the lounge open by 9pm EST or a little earlier. Thinking about trying Autumn Ring with the Vette.

Not sure I'll make it either unless insomnia sets in... Driving up to Grand Rapids, MI very early in the morning, hoping to be long asleep at 9:00pm.

Owens, you don't have to cut your Cougar hunting expedition short just to come race, we'll understand...

Coming up to my neck of the woods, what brings you to Grand Rapids?

TrackBound7
Autumn Ring...EWWW. What version, the mini or the other?

Full version. We ran the Vettes at the reverse version during some practice and it was actually quite fun. I mainly just suggested it because it's a rarely used track so it would be a nice change of pace.

Afraid of that ;). I just haven't run the track that much, need to learn it. I guess tonight will be a good excuse to do that.

BrandonW77
I'm not married to it. We can do Trial Mountain instead. :sly:

Autumn Ring > Trial Mountain

Not sure which one. But some Cape Ring versions are good fun.

I'm jumping in the ORCA_Champ lounge a bit early for some practice since I haven't raced in a couple days. I'll start qualifying around 9:30pm EST and the races will begin about 15 minutes later.

Last edited:
The ORCA_Champ lounge is open for some Vette racing. Bring your Stingrays out for some racing!

Mikaelk and I are in the lounge. We looked everywhere, including the driver's bar and can't find you.

Edit: We found torzilla, but everyone else must be at the game.

Last edited:
RDAardvark
Mikaelk and I are in the lounge. We looked everywhere, including the driver's bar and can't find you.

Edit: We found torzilla, but everyone else must be at the game.

Oh man. I think Brandon left around ten till 3 as there was nobody there. Mentioned something about washing his real car and going for a drive.

Sorry guys, I was there for almost an hour and nobody showed up. It was a real nice day outside and I couldn't resist its temptations any longer.

I was hoping for better turn outs at last weeks races, but the corvette on SH was alot to handle. I made a few races and it took all week untill I felt comfortable driving that thing, and then I still spun a few times. Even with the handeling problems the '69 vette is super cool and one of the best looking cars in the game. Im hoping more drivers will come out next week, the Cali is on of my favorite cars and drives like a dream straight out of the box, everyone get ready for 7 gears of fury.

^ I'll keep that in mind. I upgraded it from the CS tires because I felt it has a bit too hard to handle. I seem to have developed a knack for driving these tail happy cars on crappy tires but I'll try to remember they might be a bit too much for some people.

Anybody doing any racing today? Maybe give the Vette a go on SM tires?

I may pop in if you do, gives me something to do. I have a load of pics from our Big One at Indy way back in the Cappy days that I may post later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back