POLL time! Drag Strip!

I'd much rather them get rid of those idiot walls on the chicanes on Monza and "Monte Carlo". Maybe they could "repave" Daytona...since it has a new surface. And while they're at it, maybe throw in tracks like Spa. Oh, and since we sorta have Nascar, why not throw in Darlington or Bristol. Sebring and Infineon or Watkins Glen wouldn't be a bad idea. Look, it we all want something, but the chances of it actually happening are between slim and none. Especially with the disaster that happened recently, there's just not much chance. Not only that, but given the track record of PD, i.e., 6 years for a half finished game, I just don't see it happening.

Yeah, you're right. Polyphony had no plans. GT5 was just a complete accident. It wasn't meant to be anything but just sort of accidentally came into being.
I don't think you could have misunderstood me more.

To answer your question, regarding how he knows what GT5 was meant to be, that was evident in the types of content they selected for the game and in the types of content they selected to not be in the game. When you have a game with heaps of road courses, just two ovals, and zero drag strips, with almost no oval races and absolutely no drag races, that's a pretty effective way of conveying their intentions. They didn't accidentally forget to plug in a drag strip and some drag events. It wasn't something they intended but somehow forgot to add to the game's menus.
...and? You just can't magically deduce meaning or imply intentions simply from what isn't there. So they don't have a drag strip...the biggest conclusion you can draw from that is that it's not a drag racing game...big whoop. Yet even given that, you still can't really say what PD did mean for it to be--as presumed by the original quoted poster.

Last edited:
Id rather have an egg and spoon race to be honest.

This is a sad statement considering the united kingdom has one of the most historic drag strip there are, Santa pod has been around since 1966 ! I am a huge drag racing fan. I go to the nationals in indy almost every year..
And for everyone who says "how hard is it to go in a straight line? "
Strap between 500 - 6,000 hp to any car and see.. Its just like all the whining about nascar and then half had trouble beating the challenges. So until you try it dont complain..

GT has had a Test Track in every single instance except this one. I've used the Test Track in every game as well. I enjoy seeing how fast my cars accelerate, especially in 2 player mode in comparison to other cars i own. I used to do it for hours in GT3 and GT4. It doesn't take anything away from the game as it is to add the Test Track back in with acceleration and max speed tests. Really don't know why they didn't include it this time around.

I love all the neat things they added in GT5, but they removed so much stuff as well, that it's just depressing. 2 steps forward and 1 step back is the way this game feels sometimes.

Exactly how I feel.

Honestly? Never. I bet you any car that we'll get a pack full of more premium K-Cars rather than a drag strip.

I remember countless tunes from GT4 trying to beat drag times on this web site. I think a drag strip would be a valuable option for those that remember it in GT4 and for those trying to recreate it online. I understand that it is not for everyone but it does offer some appeal for others. In other words, if it ever did come about noone is forcing you to use it.:)

Never I would have thought. I'd like them to add one but it's doubtful. Maybe if GT6 brings more tracks they could include some there (Infineon, Hockenheim if they add it, the Drag strip from GT4) If they were going to add drag racing to GT5 it'd be a timed quarter mile mode on straight tracks (Fuji and Top Gear runway spring to mind).

I don't care so much about just a drag strip, but I would love to see the machine tests again. I have no idea why they didn't include them in the game, the only reason I can think of is that some of the car companies had issues with the performance numbers and would agree to license their product with unfavorable performance numbers.

To me that is the biggest omission in this game, no quick ways to judge your cars performance and see definitive effects from adding mods or tuning your car. Why they can't have a 0-60,0-100, 0-100-0, slalom course and top speed test is beyond me.

Just plain stupid on PD's part.

But PD, if you DO add a drag strip, bring back the Machine Tests as well. 400M, 1,000M, Top Speed at the Test Curse. Remember those?

This. 👍

I would prefer PD bring back the Test Course rather than add a drag strip.

Spacegoat
This. 👍

I would prefer PD bring back the Test Course rather than add a drag strip.

Test course for sure! X1 race would be insane.

Could have tuning championship. One car, probably RWD, fully upgraded with big horsepower and around 1200 kgs. Run 400m, then 1000m, then rolling start, 1 lap. Maybe even as a seasonal.

I dont care for drag racing at all, but reality is that so many do, and 9/10 races I join online are just a bunch of people on some span of some track trying to drag race.

Neocodex
I dont care for drag racing at all, but reality is that so many do, and 9/10 races I join online are just a bunch of people on some span of some track trying to drag race.

TGTT!

This would give them a track with timers and free up other rooms for drift, trade or race. I would like the option but don't need it. I don't drag, I like to race.

Yea I agree with everyone that's already posted, any car be fast in a straight line, that's easy, but making a car fast that can turn corners is what its all about for GT5.

I wouldn't hold your breath on getting a drag strip, that's not what GT5 was meant for. I can see having maybe in arcade mode only, but even then I doubt it will ever happen.

Its funny how everyone wants to make GT5 different then its was meant to be.
Why not ? It would be great to have a 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile, and 1000m drag strips for online play. Believe it or not, it does take skill to find the right launch, suspension settings, transmission settings, and drivetrain settings to get the fastest time, plus reaction time, of course.

there needs to be a never option..until then i can't vote...

I'd love for them to include it, along with a complete testing facility....Top Speed Oval, Skidpad, Slalom course, prepped 1-mile drag strip...it would be outstanding...

but its not happening

I think its stupid when people say drag racing isn't racing. Hello, people, it has the word racing in it, so stop saying it's not racing.

xXKingJoshXx
I think its stupid when people say drag racing isn't racing. Hello, people, it has the word racing in it, so stop saying it's not racing.

It is a highly skillful type of racing. Maybe comfort tyres and no aids and manual transmission as standard race setup.

Rally Cross would also be good.

Never. A perfectly straight track...they would have by now if they were ever going to. I'm not sure they can program a finish line that is not the same as the start line for races that involve more than one racer on the track at the same time...:boggled:

Back