Project CARS - Logitech Wheels NOT Supported on PS4

• Thread starter biffdiver
  • 2,132 comments
I got in just however back then it had potential but was really early on. Now it looks like a game people take note

@djhazardous @WMDCars @realandytudor G27 requires a security chip for full functionality w/ PS4, and it does not have this chip. Sorry :(

If that's true, then it's 100% definitely no PS4 or Project CARS for me. I simply cannot afford to buy a PS4 & new wheel, one or the other maybe, but not both.

:(

We're talking full menu support for PS4 here.

Did you happen to notice that the T300RS comes with a PS3/PS4 switch? I suspect it enables and disables that chip so the wheel can act as controller for the two consoles.

We're talking full menu support for PS4 here.

Did you happen to notice that the T300RS comes with a PS3/PS4 switch? I suspect it enables and disables that chip so the wheel can act as controller for the two consoles.

T500RS works with PS4 as it's already on pCARS list without any switch or security chip. I doubt they can make T500RS act like they have security chip via firmware update because then anybody (I mean hackers) can.

I don't know where this BS about security chip originated but it sounds like someone mistaken PS4 and Xbone and if it's true then Sony is taking MS route which is not good thing.

T500RS spins up when plugged in to PS4, but can't be used in general PS4 menus, only in game. T300RS needs to be in PS4 mode to be used in the menus. Therefore the T500RS can be used but doesn't offer full support.

Is this nuance in some way not clear?

P.S. Last I heard Logitech wheels don't even spin up when attached to a PS4, so I still think a wheel needs drivers in the PS4 OS in order to be used. But we'll see once a race sim turns up :)

That 500€ gaming PC will look good in my living room come 2015; good luck further Sony and MS :rolleyes:...

My 500.00 dollar PC turned into a 1000.00 dollar PC real quick. LOL. Once you start you'll wanna upgrade right away knowing the extra power is out there to be had. Might as well bite the bullet and go big the first time. It saves you in the long run. Thats just my opinion. Regardless you won't be dissapointed making the switch wether its a 500 or 1500 dollar pc. The options are limitless and the sims are in a whole different league.

I did the same thing with my PC. When I first bought it I got a 6850 gpu, with in 3 months I was pulling it out to replace it with a 7950. Huge waste of money buying components that way. :banghead:

There are some pretty good $500 pc builds out there.. but then you must consider if you need a copy of Windows which ups the cost - (Also means you are still supporting M$, xbox or not) then like said above.. knowing that you can upgrade eats at you.

I have done it both ways.. started cheap and upgraded.. and started with all higher end. Top end video cars are huge $$ if you get just enough and upgrade later to a better one when you find that great deal the two cards are often cheaper than the one. Plus you end up with spare parts that can be sold or used to build a second pc for what ever reason.

Another benefit is once you have a good case, power supply, cooling components, dvd drive, cable management, copy of Windows, etc.. that can all be used (most of the time) for another complete build years later saving you some cash.

Gaming PCs are a lot of fun but can cause frustration and eat at your wallet.

My 500.00 dollar PC turned into a 1000.00 dollar PC real quick. LOL. Once you start you'll wanna upgrade right away knowing the extra power is out there to be had. Might as well bite the bullet and go big the first time. It saves you in the long run. Thats just my opinion. Regardless you won't be dissapointed making the switch wether its a 500 or 1500 dollar pc. The options are limitless and the sims are in a whole different league.
I'll just make sure all specs are the recommended ones for PCARS and other next gen racing titles (will only make the jump next year at the earliest), so those components will hopefully last me 4-5 years (don't mind turning down the eye candy a bit eventually if i have to).

I think for 5-600 bucks you'll be able to make such a build next year.

Based on the current performance of pCARS and AC (both not yet final), a $500 PC really won't get you a nice looking end result, many settings will have to be on low.

Realistically sim racers also need high fame rates to make sure we can properly react to the car, which means that minimum spec PCs might run games without crashes but won't exactly be enjoyable to use. There's just no way to sugarcoat that statement :(

Based on the current performance of pCARS and AC (both not yet final), a $500 PC really won't get you a nice looking end result, many settings will have to be on low.

Realistically sim racers also need high fame rates to make sure we can properly react to the car, which means that minimum spec PCs might run games without crashes but won't exactly be enjoyable to use. There's just no way to sugarcoat that statement :(
Won't the necessary CPU and graphic cards be cheaper next year?

Won't the necessary CPU and graphic cards be cheaper next year?

Yes things will get cheaper .. but if you build based on the minimum - it normally is hardly playable and your looking at a reduced resolution 720p or 1600x900 and minimum settings to get a smooth 30 frames per second

If you build the recommended.. you might get 1080p with mid settings at 60fps but more likely 30fps The recommended build is looking like a $200 video card & CPUs which are in the $200 range so that is already $400+ not including taxes.. high speed low latency ram 8GB(2x4GB) is about $80.. already pushing close to the $500..

So if you build recommended specs few months into 2015 after the prices drop.. (based on a shot in the dark guess)
$150 video card
$150 CPU
$60 for ram
$20 DVD drive
$25 cheap case
$50+ for a hard drive
$40+ for power supply
$100 for a copy of windows
Total = $595 - and that might get you a PC that can play it as well as a PS4 or Xbox One

Gaming PCs are awesome for compatibility with accessories.. old and new games.. etc.. but they do cost more for equal performance.

Consider a ps3 or xbox 360 for exmaple.. build a PC that can play games at 720p as well as they can for $250 new with a 500GB hard drive, a controller, and a game.

I thought about it a lot before getting a PS4 and I was betting on having to spend $400 on a T300..

Last edited:
I bought 2 (used) Asus 280x cards today. Got them cheap :) 280€ for 2 cards. But I wont use crossfire. I guess I´ll sell one.

The problem is, they are too big for my case so I have to find a way to test them without the case ^^

Yes things will get cheaper .. but if you build based on the minimum - it normally is hardly playable and your looking at a reduced resolution 720p or 1600x900 and minimum settings to get a smooth 30 frames per second

If you build the recommended.. you might get 1080p with mid settings at 60fps but more likely 30fps The recommended build is looking like a $200 video card & CPUs which are in the $200 range so that is already $400+ not including taxes.. high speed low latency ram 8GB(2x4GB) is about $80.. already pushing close to the $500..

So if you build recommended specs few months into 2015 after the prices drop.. (based on a shot in the dark guess)
$150 video card
$150 CPU
$60 for ram
$20 DVD drive
$25 cheap case
$50+ for a hard drive
$40+ for power supply
$100 for a copy of windows
Total = $595 - and that might get you a PC that can play it as well as a PS4 or Xbox One

Gaming PCs are awesome for compatibility with accessories.. old and new games.. etc.. but they do cost more for equal performance.

Consider a ps3 or xbox 360 for exmaple.. build a PC that can play games at 720p as well as they can for $250 new with a 500GB hard drive, a controller, and a game.

I thought about it a lot before getting a PS4 and I was betting on having to spend $400 on a T300..
Cheers for laying it out, i'll try and remember this post when the day comes. 600€ and PS4 like performance sounds good enough for me. The extra 200 euros spent i'll win back in the long run because the games are cheaper and you don't have to pay for online :D

Oh and i even forgot the main reason; my wheels will still work.

Yup... I still have a steam account and I see the game sales.. often you can get 3 games that are not that old for the same price as one of them on the console used! You will save money on games for sure and yes that $50 a year fee that we pay for online gaming.. it does get us free games and sometimes they are good.

And yes your wheels will work 👍

I just want to make sure people understand what they get with the "Budget $500 Gaming PC"

Spitfire, you forgot a motherboard in that list....

I'm also going to point out that pCARS is aiming at 60fps 1080p on the PS4 and screenshots of the current state of their PS4 build look better than I'm getting on my PC which is considerably more expensive than your hypothetical $650 one. I'm really not so sure a $600 PC would get close to the PS4 in terms of eye candy.

I just don't want to get anyone's hopes up. The pCARS screenshots we all drool over in the other thread are generally made by people who either have spent rather more than $600 just on a video card or are running the game at 10-20fps (unplayable) just for pretty pictures.

As much as I want another console racer, Sony and MS have not just limited peripherals for us players but developers also recognize these limitations, and scale their effort accordingly.

I think Pcars will explode on PC, modders will embrace this game and it will be a truly epic product over time, and for years to come... And the console players/versions will get left behind.

I think PC is the place to go for this one... This has certainly limited my interest in console games... Perhaps GT 7 will reignite the interest in 2016...

And for those of you with no wheel hardware? Don't be fooled by the new 399 wheels, they are inferior to last gen wheels... Even the Logitec G series that's technically many years old now... Fanatecs leading advantage was all platform support but its likely going to be a few years cutting through red tape before they can offer a next gen one.

And for those of you with no wheel hardware? Don't be fooled by the new 399 wheels, they are inferior to last gen wheels... Even the Logitec G series that's technically many years old now... Fanatecs leading advantage was all platform support but its likely going to be a few years cutting through red tape before they can offer a next gen one.

Which wheels are you referring to? The Thrustmaster TX and he Mad Catz Pro are the only wheels I can think of in that price range considered "new" and the TX is light years better than a G27, if you add a set of T500, T3PA, or other decent pedals. I'll agree with you though on the Mad Catz based on the few reviews that are available, but its Mad Catz, no one should have expected a quality product.

Last edited:
I think Pcars will explode on PC, modders will embrace this game and it will be a truly epic product over time, and for years to come... And the console players/versions will get left behind.
I thought there is no mod support in pCARS

I thought there is no mod support in pCARS
They may not support it, but people will still be making mods for it. While mods do add a lot to the content of games, in my opinion its also the problem with online racing on PC. The only game on the PC with a good online is the only racing game on PC you cant mod. Mods divide the community up to the point where you might have 200 people online line, but because of mods they are using you can only join a couple of the races.

Spitfire, you forgot a motherboard in that list....

I'm also going to point out that pCARS is aiming at 60fps 1080p on the PS4 and screenshots of the current state of their PS4 build look better than I'm getting on my PC which is considerably more expensive than your hypothetical $650 one. I'm really not so sure a $600 PC would get close to the PS4 in terms of eye candy.

I just don't want to get anyone's hopes up. The pCARS screenshots we all drool over in the other thread are generally made by people who either have spent rather more than $600 just on a video card or are running the game at 10-20fps (unplayable) just for pretty pictures.

haha Good catch! it is been awhile :cheers:

Latest Posts

Back