Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 Visual Comparison

• Thread starter HuskyGT
  • 172 comments
That must have took ages to create. PD seems to be veeery assiduously. wow

unimpressed-gary-doer-meme-generator-gary-doer-is-not-impressed-by-this-069f2c.jpg

In my GT5 garage I have
at least one each of the following:

Toyota FT-86 Concept '09
Toyota FT-86 II concept '11
Toyota FT-86 G SPORTS Concept '10
Toyota GT-86 '12

They are good cars, especially for 400pp seasonals!
I'd still quite like a Subaru BRZ and would probably drive it in preference to the others.

btw. only I want to see Subaru BRZ on GT5? :D

I have wanted the BRZ in GT5 since it was unveiled so I keep my fingers crossed that they will actually complete this trio. Would be nice to get the BRZ as a freebie in the next car pack.

jneto555
Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 is the "new Nissan Skyline". The next car will be the Subaru version of the 86. Tks PD.

Apart from the fact that it's not a Nissan...and the Skyline/GT-R (new Skyline) is Kaz's favourite car.

If they do add in the BRZ I wouldn't be surprised, but I'm not complaining - it's FREE! :banghead:

I'd rather have the BRZ to be honest, as I think it looks better. And the race car (super gt?) concept wouldn't go amiss

Yes there are differences that mean that they've spent some time on this. Which is disappointing since they could have spent time on a different car instead.

I don't mind the fact that they just make a few adjustments from the existing model to make a new one. I actually wish they did it more often, like making the RS version of the 69 Camaro or making production versions of race/rally cars that share the same exterior model (like the rally Celica, for example).

This so much! That Celica rally car, where is the regular version?!
I thought the same thing, even the Lexus racing car, we could get a premium SC off of it. Give this man a Karlovac! :cheers:

Yes there are differences that mean that they've spent some time on this. Which is disappointing since they could have spent time on a different car instead.

It's obvious that to include the Scion version required some time but I think hardly the same amount of time as a completely different car.
I'm guessing they used a lot of data/modelling already done for the GT-86 to convert it to LHD (same way with the LHD Acura NSX and later RHD Honda NSX-R sharing basically the same interior architecture) and as for the rest it just are details being altered (both Suzuki Swifts have differently coloured seats as well).
This car (and the GT-86) being added for free, suggests it being hardly anything other than a promo for Toyota/Scion to be honest, only this time it's not really a new or significant addition.

Tuning shop > Suspension > Full Customize

they are now the same car.

you're splitting hairs dude..

Just because you can do it in a video game doesn't mean it's the same car. You can't go to the tuning shop and buy a fully customizable suspension in real life.

Hmm, must be a Scion FR-S concept, since there is no such thing as a '12 FR-S. It's first model year is a 2013. ;)

Nifty to drive the one that will be released in the USA from the lefthand side, too.

That's some quite subtle difference.
Nice pictures btw.

Gonna go look at gt aero to see if theres some difference too.

That's some quite subtle difference.
Nice pictures btw.

Gonna go look at gt aero to see if theres some difference too.

I added all the type A aero kits. I could take some pics of the new aero kits for you(I will add them here tonight if someone doesn't beat me to it). The only difference(s) in aero kits between the 86 GT '12 and the FR-S I noticed was the rear spoiler for FR-S.

I did about 5 laps around Fuji Speedway with the Scion and it feels a bit understeery and I still think the SH tires are a compound too soft still. Considering the car comes with Michelin Primacy HPs stock. Working for a Toyota dealer and knowing that the first 15 FR-Ss that come into our dealership are already sold, I would say the car will be about as popular as the Prius. The interior detail is spot on, as the AC dials are the same as most of the smaller Toyotas that we sell. I want to do a back-to-back test against the 86 and the FR-S.

Also,seeing that the interiors are quite different,it makes me quite,quite sad that instead of working on making a brand new car,they spent their working potential on another 86GT
LOL

Yeah, because PD can just add any car in whenever they feel like it. :rolleyes:

Since Scion is in the NCD now I hope they add in more Scion's.
Like the Scion tC, maybe? :D
i_tc_features_rs_intro.jpg

dice1998
I'm sorry, but the FR-S will never be unique enough to be it's own car for one very good reason:

It's a rebadged GT 86.

Because it has no fog lamps it's a different car?
Because it has a different muffler tip it's a different car?
Because it doesn't have HID headlamps it's a different car?
Because that area of the tail lamp isn't red (or vice versa) it's a different car?
Because it's not RHD (or LHD) it's a different car?

Given current global emission standards, that's about as different as a sports car is going to get nowadays; seems the only major differences back in the day included the aforementioned and a change of engine/ transmission. Is there any difference in the ecu of a jdm GT-86 and a usdm FR-S?

Megamarcx84
Given current global emission standards, that's about as different as a sports car is going to get nowadays; seems the only major differences back in the day included the aforementioned and a change of engine/ transmission. Is there any difference in the ecu of a jdm GT-86 and a usdm FR-S?

Badge engineering has been around since the 50's. From Mustang to Cougar, Camaro to Firebird, plus the many cars the Elise is made into (Tesla, Venom, etc.)
As for the ECU, any differences between the two would likely be due to refining differences between Japanese and US gas.

I did about 5 laps around Fuji Speedway with the Scion and it feels a bit understeery and I still think the SH tires are a compound too soft still. Considering the car comes with Michelin Primacy HPs stock. Working for a Toyota dealer and knowing that the first 15 FR-Ss that come into our dealership are already sold, I would say the car will be about as popular as the Prius. The interior detail is spot on, as the AC dials are the same as most of the smaller Toyotas that we sell. I want to do a back-to-back test against the 86 and the FR-S.

I don't think SH is the right tire compound. Personally, I'd use CM or if you follow the GT5 tire guide (http://tiny.cc/umpkgw), CS since the Skid pad test for the FR-S results in 0.88g.

EDIT: I see some one beet me to it but unlike hem im comparing the cars stock as is from the dealer and in more depth and detail , Mod Daan Has merged both threads together * thank you*
EDIT 2:interior shots coming TOMORROW , glitching inside takes forever... -.-
After reading countless post about how PD Just Mindlesley swapped the interior of the 86 and rebadged it I decided to debunk this myth by taking matters into my own hands.After countless hours of finding each deference in a gt500 car and NASCAR's * yes they have slight aesthetic differences people! * I Imediatley knew pd Had Correctly modeled in all the details to the FR-S that made the FR-S a FR-S ..
So i present to you
--------------------Twins the FR-S/ GT 86 story... ---------------------

FR-S no licence late by frogmanlego, on Flickr
86 Licence plate by frogmanlego, on Flickr

Headlight FR-S by frogmanlego, on Flickr
Headlight 86 by frogmanlego, on Flickr

Fog light Missing FR-S by frogmanlego, on Flickr
Fog light 86 by frogmanlego, on Flickr

Exhaust pipe FR-S by frogmanlego, on Flickr
Exhaust Pipe 86 by frogmanlego, on Flickr

Taillight FR-S by frogmanlego, on Flickr
Taillight 86 by frogmanlego, on Flickr

FR-S side blinker by frogmanlego, on Flickr
86 - side blinker by frogmanlego, on Flickr

Combo shot! by frogmanlego, on Flickr

Interior To the GT 86 by frogmanlego, on Flickr

and MPH and killomerters on the FR-S by frogmanlego, on Flickr
Kilometers on the 86 by frogmanlego, on Flickr
I suggest you view the interior pictures on flickr itself to zoom in , and there a tad to dark on my pc for some reason =D

As you can see there both similar yet unique in there own ways
TheeFrogmanlego out...

Amazing pics, bro! I didn't know you could glitch inside cars at the RedBull hangar. I thought it only worked in San Galgano Abbey. Now it's clear on how different (the interior at least) is.

Again, great job with the pics. And thanks Daan for merging the threads 👍

Back