Seasonal Event - SSR5 is the most fun I've had on GT5 so far.

• Thread starter MidianGTX
  • 180 comments
Just tried this event a couple times with a GT-R V Spec '09 and was able to turn out a 2nd place thanks to mazdaman's tune. Problem is that I finished about 14sec back of the leader......any other tips or tricks I should know about for this race? I'm churning out pretty consistent 1:30 lap times, what should I be aiming for?

My first lap was a 1:29 & the rest were 1:27, I caught the GT about 1/2 way around the last lap.

If anyone is having trouble with this race just make sure you have the right tires selected! I was having heaps of trouble winning this for ages but figured out I was using Sports Hards haha

I was only able to load all of the new seasonal events today and I went straight for this one. Kept getting second with the spec V but after a few tries, I finally passed the GT on the final turn before the straight. This was an exciting race, but now, I'm attached to the NASCAR one on the Ring!

Finally won, using the settings below (my own tune), no more understeer:

Downforce: 22
Tranny: 168 top speed
Torque Diff: 20 / 80
Suspension:
-20 / -20
15.2 / 11.0
7 / 7
4 / 4
7 / 7
Wheel alignment:
2.4 / 1.2
.14 / -.10
Brakes: 8 / 10

Now how the hell do they expect me to win using that underpowered Fiat? That race is the only one I can't win at this point. The RX-7 was easy since I love how that car drives and Deep Forest is one of my favorite old school tracks. The CR-Z was cake, I took the lead on lap 4 and won with 5 seconds to spare. Still working on the Challenger event, I've gotten 3rd with sloppy laps so 1st should be do-able for a even a loser like me.

Spent some time on this again last night. Used the Lions Den setup. Even with SRF on I couldn't routinely get below 1:30. I did get one lap of 1:27.xx on my last session, but the other laps were all over 1:30. I'm sure with more practice I could get my time to be consistently in 1:28 or below, but I don't think I'll get time to do that.

I did manage to gold the Challenger event and I think I'll try the new RX7 event next.

This is my favorite seasonal challenge so far. I agree that spreading the AI out a bit helps, and the challenge level was just about right, IMO.

Just remembered i needed to do this before the 6th, GTR Vspec with standard everything in MT using a DFGT i won by 3.5 secs first try. Great car to drive and the 1mil credits and 90k xp were handy!

I finally got gold in this event after about 4 hours total time. That was using SRF. It took me a long time to figure out the lines through the back portion of the course. I was losing alot of speed through the left-right right-left area. Eventually I figured out I could turn in alot earlier than I was. That really helped drop my times down into the 1:28.xx consistently. I also got quicker at other corners and braked less over time.

I really don't think I gained much by using SRF. I usually drive without SRF and in GT5P was usually using professional physics at the end. I feathered the brakes and throttle out of habit, when I don't think I needed to.

im stuck at 7 seconds behind the Ford GT when im running at my fastest...trying to do this with my usual settings...ABS at 1 and everything else off.

to the people who already beat this...were you guys running with traction control, etc on or off? im thinking of turning aids on, just to get the money since its the last day. already have a 2nd place finish...

EDIT: down to +4.586

Last edited:
Tune everything to the max apart from the power and weight, obviously. Include even the bits that make your gear changes quicker because in the end you may be hundreds of sec away from the Ford GT (in my penultimate go, I lost for 0.012s).
Add extra wings for downforce (you compensate the limit on tires by aerodynamic grip).
Every single mistake will be paid at the end of the last lap, when you see the GT's taillights.

im stuck at 7 seconds behind the Ford GT when im running at my fastest...trying to do this with my usual settings...ABS at 1 and everything else off.

to the people who already beat this...were you guys running with traction control, etc on or off? im thinking of turning aids on, just to get the money since its the last day. already have a 2nd place finish...

EDIT: down to +4.586

Try running once with Skid Recovery on. Doing this I was able to see where Skid Recovery was engaging and thus where I was losing time. I didn't get first with Skid Recovery on, but on my next try after (all aids off, ABS = 1) I was able to win and shave almost 2 secs off my lap times by altering turn in points and braking.

Tune everything to the max apart from the power and weight, obviously. Include even the bits that make your gear changes quicker because in the end you may be hundreds of sec away from the Ford GT (in my penultimate go, I lost for 0.012s).
Add extra wings for downforce (you compensate the limit on tires by aerodynamic grip).
Every single mistake will be paid at the end of the last lap, when you see the GT's taillights.

aaaaaaargh...the GT's taillights were in my face with only .234 between us

ive already done all that stuff...i guess i just gotta keep running it. ive been up for hours doing this and now i gotta go to work soon. one more run...

any chance the Challenger one is much easier than this? i'll only have a few hours once i get back from work

This one was pretty fun and frustrating at the same time. That GT was wayyy ahead and nearly impossible to catch. I started getting second consistently after a while and was content so I stopped racing it. After hearing alot of people on here getting gold I kept trying. Tune after tune after tune, I'd get closer. I then decided to switch back to my wheel instead of the controller to see if my wheel skills have improved enough for me to win races. Well it paid off. I think I beat him by at least 3-4 seconds. I caught him going into the last turn, an early sight I thought was impossible for me.

Again, if you guys need to tune the cars setup to win this you're not that great of a driver.

Again, if you guys need to tune the cars setup to win this you're not that great of a driver.

interesting...are you playing on a controller or wheel? im playing on a controller with no aids except ABS - 1. never said i was any good regardless.

I was looking for this post a few days ago... I agree, this was a LOT of fun! You could really attack this event... This and the Lupo CUP race in A-spec are my 2 favorite events so far...

Just ran 1'27's the whole time, aside from the opening lap, as I've said in this thread multiple times.

i bought a new R32 or R33, cant remember, from the dealership tuned it right up, tranny suspension, drivetrain, max weight-loss and 492bhp, best tyres, best everything. my best was second with the 3rd place car less than 0.5seconds behind. then i bought an 09 GTR Spec V i think it was, the one for about $154K. put in the race air filter which brought me up to 492bhp left the rest stock. on my first try 1st by just over5 seconds. which taught me something i had always suspected but had never been able to officially confirm: i cant tune the LSD-diff and racing-suspension worth 🤬 .
now its official. that new GTR can handle better than the R32 or 33 that weighs less than 1300kilos?!? all because i ruined the set-up :(

Just beat this race after 3 tries with the SpecV. Bought aero upgrades, brought it up to 492 HP, and made it light as possible with all the drive train upgrades. Maxed out down force, set brake balance to 6/4, lowered by 10mm and thats it for tuning. Lap times varied between 1.27 and 1.28 in the last 4 laps, losing the first 2 times was because I get very very sloppy when i have the GT in sight. On the third try passed him on the final corner and ended up winning by 4 seconds (I may have been a little dirty with my pass hehe.)

Best advice I can give is know when to go slow, there are about 4 turns that I can think of on SS5 that you really have to slow down for. Trying to go too fast around these turns is very easy to do and will cost your precious seconds. If you can't seem to get down to the 1.27 sweet spot for this event, go into practice mode, turn on the driving line and learn these turns. Once you get them down this is a simply race of consistency, other than that it is not a hard event.

Good luck!

Just ran 1'27's the whole time, aside from the opening lap, as I've said in this thread multiple times.

well, you must be super talented since most people on this thread are tuning their cars. what aids were you running?

as for me, .234 was the best I could manage with only ABS - 1...feel a bit dirty for doing this but 7pm was rapidly approaching and I had to leave for dinner, so I turned aids to medium/low and beat him by .200. actually ran slower for a few tries because traction control was too high. already had a 2nd place in the bank so I don't feel too bad. hopefully, seasonal #1 will still be available after the deadline passes. didn't even get to do the rx-7 or challenger races at all unfortunately...

Awesome challenge!

I must've tried about 3 hours to gold this... I seriously think my driving skills have improved! SSR5 is an amazing course.

GT-R '07 with sports filter, racing clutch and flywheel, no oil change, soft sport tires, and torque sensing differential. No aero/gearbox/suspension mods.

I beat it with 0.035 seconds to go--overtook the GT on the last chicane of the 5th lap, and he nearly overtook me on the straight. Did some heart racing blocking. 👍

I saw most of my gains in the big tunnel bend, the last chicane, and the middle chicane (immediately before the elevation change S-curve before the hairpin). It's important to slow down for the second turn after the tunnel bend, as going too fast will ruin your line for the turns after. After the 1st lap, I was drafting the C-class, and at the end of the 4th lap, I was at the end of the straightaway with the GT in the middle of the straightaway (not visible as I went into the tunnel).

Really good and challenging event! And I love this Nissan GTR Spec V '09, which I wouldn't know without this event...

Really good and challenging event! And I love this Nissan GTR Spec V '09, which I wouldn't know without this event...

Yeah, I like how these events seem targeted at cars you don't win and need little upgrades... I love the mustang that I never would have bought otherwise... too bad they removed the restrictions for the next set...

love the seasonal events, took my money up by loads not to mention my xp levels but atm im having trouble with seasonal event 5 with the corvette. get close to 25sec at the start but then suddenly the gap jumps to 45secs i mean whats that about :S

love the seasonal events, took my money up by loads not to mention my xp levels but atm im having trouble with seasonal event 5 with the corvette. get close to 25sec at the start but then suddenly the gap jumps to 45secs i mean whats that about :S

Thats because when you cross the first timming mark the race has only be going on for ~25sec.
This race has its on thread here: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=171159

At first I didn't like this event, but considering the $$ and XP, it has grown on me. But now after having won the event many times I am trying to best records in different cars/650pp.

If anyone wishes to share their cars & lap times please do.

McClaren GT
GTR Concept
Chapparal 2J
Fairlady Z

Back