Seasonal Tuning Challenge 2 :It's over. Thanks for coming :D

• Thread starter krenkme
  • 709 comments
Onboy123- 106 S16 (yellow)
1:57.9
Punched well above its weight, thanks to incredible chuckability. While it lacked the grunt of the Corsas (never thought I'd say that!), it pipped them for lap time by sneaking past in the twisty bits. Great tune.

Told ya it's good fun. :D Use the momentum to fling it through corners, that's where all the speed lies, it seems.

Also…

Trackripper- Lupo GTI (blue)

1:58.0
What were you saying about the Pug, mate? :P

I wish I had my Kusabi tune in instead of Cuore , the problem is that it uses Power limiter.

But still I managed a 1:59:727 with 370pp :embarrassed:

Thanks for the drive nomis.👍👍

Your right that she can have a bit of mid corner push. Never could get her to hold a line the way I wanted. More time spent on the tune may have helped but by the time I posted the tune I had reached the point of second guessing myself on what setting changes were helping and what ones were hurting so I just went with the settings I was getting my best times with at that moment. Did love her sheer speed on the main straight and when I could get it right up the loop. Found that riding the edge of the outer red on the loop for most of it gave me the best time with her though as she didn't like being hauled in on a tight inside line there.

By the way I tried her in the other seasonal races. Not so good on most of them but if you change her final drive to 3.600 she can win at Daytona fairly easily.:D

C-ZETA- 106 S16 (white)
1:58.2
Very nice. For the whole lap, it was inseperable from Onboy's 106! Good gearing. A bit of understeer underbrakes, but otherwise it was very well balanced. Nice tune!

I'll take that definitely. :) Looks like I could have had it faster though...

Nice to know others are feeling the balance my 106 has. It's a relief to see such comments here to begin with. :)

The other seasonal races are quite a bit harder, Tsukuba and Clubman especially, I struggle with anything under 400PP generally there.

Tree'd :P

Nomis
Jacktalad- Talon Esi (red)
1:56.9
Big and soft, but I don't mean that as a complaint! It has a wonderful flow through the corners and is very easy to drive. Great work with the gearbox, expecially with only 5 gears to play with. It should have been about 0.3s quicker, but I botched the 3rd last corner of my final lap. Sorry Jack! Great tune.

I was unsure about the gearbox and wasnt sure whether it needed a taller 4th gear but so far so good. And I agree it does flow through the corners very nicely. Thanks for your feedback and no worries on the little mishap.

Thank you very much Nomis for the work of testing all the cars - getting a comprehensive view of all participating cars is the best feedback a tuner can get.

GranTourist- Corsa 1.4 '01 (white)
1:58.2
A true giant-beater. Great balance and adjustability. Wonderful gearing (I really like the taller ratios allowing 1st and 2nd to be used more). Really enjoyable, thanks for allowing me the pleasure to drive it.
Since this was my very first tuner shootout:
I'll take that as an indicator for not being completely incapable screwing on GT5-cars.
I'm looking forward to join other competitions in the future.

Hi folks,
Here are my best lap resultsand comments. All testing done in Practice Mode with sixaxis controller, grip real, controller sensitivity 1, ABS 1, all other aids off. Lap time is best of 3 laps. Feel free to comment or as for clarification on anything.

Regards,
Simon

LineR32- Infiniti G20 (yellow)
1:56.2
One of the bigger cars in this shootout, but it used the size and power to good effect and gave the highest mid-corner speed around the ring. Turn-in is very sensitive to being in the right gear. Gear ratios are great, handling is very well balanced. Well done.

Thanks for the comments on my tune, I wasn't too sure about the gearing on it because I changed the settings from 1st to Final. I don't get why the rest of you have to go arsing around with the Final drive first though.

Thanks for the comments on my tune, I wasn't too sure about the gearing on it because I changed the settings from 1st to Final. I don't get why the rest of you have to go arsing around with the Final drive first though.
It makes it easier to put the gears as close as you like, also, in GT5, a lower numerical final drive translates into slightly quicker acceleration.

Thanke you Nomis about given me full feed back about my tune .good job mate for found this time to test all cars good one mate. :-)

Hi folks,
Jahgee1124- FIT race car (blue)
1:58.6
Sorry to sound rude, but the gearbox ruined this car for me. Massive gaps shifting into 3rd and 4th but then 5th is barely any change from 4th. While it struggles a bit with multiple direction changes, front grip is excellent, as is overall balance.

I always am horrible at gearbox tuning, but decent at suspension tuning. So the fact that my gears are horrible is expected at this point.

It makes it easier to put the gears as close as you like, also, in GT5, a lower numerical final drive translates into slightly quicker acceleration.

Dag CSL, you just gave away the secret lol. If there is one thing I concentrate on using a low PP car it is the gearing. To me that is the most important. Slow Accel at low PP can really, really hurt since you don't have the power.

Thanks for the review Nomis. Again I find myself playing it a bit safe with this car giving it a soft suspension. I didn't really go crazy on suspension and such, I spent more time on gearing to keep because of the weight.

Thanks everyone, your appreciation is much...ummm...appreciated!

I'v tried my best (3rd place) did you managed to get to which one ? Also , do you use DS3 or wheel ? This has been tuned with DS3
To save time I just ran 3 practice laps, so unfortunately I didn't actually do the Seasonal race in any of the cars.

I use DS3 (well, technically it's a "sixaxis" but it's very similar to DS3).

Thanks everyone, your appreciation is much...ummm...appreciated!

To save time I just ran 3 practice laps, so unfortunately I didn't actually do the Seasonal race in any of the cars.

I use DS3 (well, technically it's a "sixaxis" but it's very similar to DS3).

Same :)

But I kinda thought she would do bit less time :(

Which I found that'ps not knew is that CS tires are more gripy than SH ...

My 370pp Kusabi made 1:59:xxx on Cape Ring

Nomis, thought I had you added already from something else. Either way we should be good now.

Theo777
(waiting Friend Request)

Oops, I have not been following the shootout a diligently as I should. Just accepted the friend request. Thank you for testing! I can't wait to see how my Accord tune ranks around the Cape. :dopey:

Hi folks,

Ugabugaz- Spoon CR-Z (orange- disqualified)
1:58.6
First car tested, always a tough ask for the unlucky car which has to go first. Nicely balanced, however bites back savagely if you put a wheel on the grass or kerb. Overall, a very competant tune. Well done.

Ooh - First time my cars gone first, and that's a first!

Could you go a bit more into detail regarding the kerb issue? When tuning I don't remember it having that problem though I rarely hit the kerbs (Mainly in high speed corners - you can view my replay in my tune post). Glad you found the car to be satisfactory. I think the slightly high Spring Rates are to blame for the car responding badly to kerbs.

Ooh - First time my cars gone first, and that's a first!

Could you go a bit more into detail regarding the kerb issue? When tuning I don't remember it having that problem though I rarely hit the kerbs (Mainly in high speed corners - you can view my replay in my tune post). Glad you found the car to be satisfactory. I think the slightly high Spring Rates are to blame for the car responding badly to kerbs.
Stiffer suspensions combined with lower grip tires will tend to have cars getting yanked about a bit and skidding some when they catch the curbs. This tends to get more pronounced the lighter cars get. I know I softened my suspension up a good bit from where I started to try limiting this effect a bit. Probably just my lousy driving but in the last section of this track it seemed the best lines tended to run right up on the curbs and having the car get jerked around or losing grip with its outside wheels cost time. Better drivers with smoother more precise inputs can probable run good clean lines that just miss catching the curbs but some of us struggle to hit those lines on a consistent bases.:drool:

Stiffer suspensions combined with lower grip tires will tend to have cars getting yanked about a bit and skidding some when they catch the curbs. This tends to get more pronounced the lighter cars get. I know I softened my suspension up a good bit from where I started to try limiting this effect a bit. Probably just my lousy driving but in the last section of this track it seemed the best lines tended to run right up on the curbs and having the car get jerked around or losing grip with its outside wheels cost time. Better drivers with smoother more precise inputs can probable run good clean lines that just miss catching the curbs but some of us struggle to hit those lines on a consistent bases.:drool:

Same here on the suspension, I made mine soft so I could hit the curbs before the hill and not disrupt the line. In the last sector, I do a slide right then slide left ( rally style) while still on the brakes then full throttle and hope for the best lol.

But I kinda thought she would do bit less time :(
Just wait for the faster testers to post their times, that should be a better story!! (I'm quite slow, I just hope my times are in the correct order then I'm happy )

Same here on the suspension, I made mine soft so I could hit the curbs before the hill and not disrupt the line. In the last sector, I do a slide right then slide left ( rally style) while still on the brakes then full throttle and hope for the best lol.
Hi Ugabugaz, yeah what XDesperado and GeeBaby said. A couple of times I used too much kerb (or even touched the grass) while turning and the car was suddenly at a big drift angle. In my experience, it could also be high LSD settings (I didn't look at any of your settings, dunno if this is relevant). But you might find that fixing the kerb behavior compromises the "on-road" handling, so the solution could be for the driver to stop banging kerbs!

Hi folks,
Here are my best lap resultsand comments. All testing done in Practice Mode with sixaxis controller, grip real, controller sensitivity 1, ABS 1, all other aids off. Lap time is best of 3 laps. Feel free to comment or as for clarification on anything.

Regards,
Simon

amzgspider- Corsa 1.4 '01 (blue)
1:59.8
Similar to Newdriver's Civic in that it felt like it was reluctantly being dragged around the track, although not as much as the Civic. Ride was quite jittery. Good gearing.

Thank you for taking the time to drive my car and write a review on it. This was my first tune from scratch and really appreciate the feed back. I would like to make sure I am interpreting your review correctly. Jittery ride = suspension was to stiff. Dragged around the track = sluggish not enough pep (I am not sure if that was the tunes fault or the cars). Sounds like my gearing and lsd wasnt to far off. Thank you again for your input.

Just wait for the faster testers to post their times, that should be a better story!! (I'm quite slow, I just hope my times are in the correct order then I'm happy )

Hi Ugabugaz, yeah what XDesperado and GeeBaby said. A couple of times I used too much kerb (or even touched the grass) while turning and the car was suddenly at a big drift angle. In my experience, it could also be high LSD settings (I didn't look at any of your settings, dunno if this is relevant). But you might find that fixing the kerb behavior compromises the "on-road" handling, so the solution could be for the driver to stop banging kerbs!

My tune was using Stock LSD - I'm a bit foreign when it comes to LSD settings so I rarely mess with that part. Seemed fine stock so I left it as is. When I was still tuning I did hit the kerbs here and there but mostly in the second part of the track (After the loop). In high speed corners either just ontop of them or my front wheel going outside the kerb and on grass. I'm probably gonna soften the car up once I take it on the Nurburgring. That should provide me with the ultimate kerb test :)

2 days left for Nascar and Jonny to finish up testing and post their results, I know Nascar has already tested a portion, his results are linked on the 3rd post in this thread.

Back