SimRaceway

• Thread starter bin0
  • 793 comments
United States
Boston, MA
Hey guys, I was just browsing through my Facebook and I ended up seeing an ad for a new game coming out called SimRaceway. By the looks of it it is coming out soon. I tried signing up for the beta, but it's message said that it wasn't ready for any users yet. (Be sure to check, because they may open it soon.) I thought I'd share it because it seems to be quite cool, and something people here would like. Thanks.

Link

I've signed up for the beta, but there's some alarm bells ringing in my head. It claims to be a free game, but they also say they'll include a $10 credit to "get you started". But I'll give it a go if they pick me for the beta and share what I find.

Read about this a while back. Free game, free subscription, looks like simalair to iracing transactions for credits to buy cars etc. Hopefully it has good physics and plenty of tracks/cars, particularly more european focussed as it could then challenge iracing.

Looks like the Morgan 3wheeler, Corvette C6R, Megane Cup Car and Lancer Evo X are on the site but I assume theres more.

I've signed up for the beta, but there's some alarm bells ringing in my head. It claims to be a free game, but they also say they'll include a $10 credit to "get you started". But I'll give it a go if they pick me for the beta and share what I find.

Yes, I am not sure what they mean by that, but hopefully they keep their word and the game IS actually free.

Read about this a while back. Free game, free subscription, looks like simalair to iracing transactions for credits to buy cars etc. Hopefully it has good physics and plenty of tracks/cars, particularly more european focussed as it could then challenge iracing.

Yeah, I'd have to say I can't wait for the beta to be released. Looks like it could be fun.

I think it will be like iRacing in that you will perhaps need to buy cars or tracks with "credit", but the base game with perhaps say, 6 cars and 6 tracks is free with free to play online.

Yeah, I figure it's going to be a free-to-play or "freemium" model, it just bothers me that they aren't being up front about it, and that it even sounds like they'll be trying to charge beta testers, since the $10 credit to get you started thing was in the beta signup message.

I think it will be like iRacing in that you will perhaps need to buy cars or tracks with "credit", but the base game with perhaps say, 6 cars and 6 tracks is free with free to play online.

Yeah, I figure it's going to be a free-to-play or "freemium" model, it just bothers me that they aren't being up front about it, and that it even sounds like they'll be trying to charge beta testers, since the $10 credit to get you started thing was in the beta signup message.

Exactly what I was just thinking. Also, this is what I have found so far. What's your opinion?

This game is now out, and you are able to play! (Sorry for double post, but I'm trying to get the word out there.)

MildAshers
Basically a glorified wii mote.
...:lol:

I also was thinking that when I first saw it. If it's expensive, it's probably not worth buying. Haven't checked out the price yet, but I don't think I could use it very well either.

Pardon me for necroposting if you guys think I actually am, but also signed up and was surprised that its recommended PC specs were just "half" of what I have at the moment.

Now I wonder if it supports PS3 controllers (through MotionInJoy). Gonna download the client tomorrow. Sweet.

Saw this thread and went to Youtube to find some gameplay footage and it looks good, please keep us updated guys!

Tried installing, and apparently I kept having corrupted installers. :S

Anyone have this NSIS error or something? Or how can I download a clean copy of this?

For all concerned. The Beta version of this game has been released!

It has been released last month. :P

It finally got to work. Boy the Evo X was a joy to drive, and also dat 4B11 scream. Too bad my PC needs to get upgraded again to handle the graphics. And I need a wheel.

I joined up to this and this is what I will say.

Graphics : Inconsistant, mid ohio looks pretty nice, where as the UK country road type track I drove on looked aweful, the cars look decent but nothing when you compare it to modern big name titles.

Sounds : I only drove the EvoX (this is the only available car), but it sounded pretty good, though I will say it had a lot of transmission whine for a road car.

Controls/FFB : The game didn't like 900 degrees, I had to lower it to 400 to get it driveable but it felt good there. The FFB had a ridiculous ammount of settings, half of which made no sense to me, it generally felt quite jittery and rough with a bit of deadzone in the middle (not deadzone in control, but lack of any FFB in the small area where the wheel is centered). Controls/FFB are not great but it feels miles better than CARS does, pretty decent tho I would expect a lot of improvement is needed.

Physics : I couldnt get this Evo X to go sideways without using the handbrake (which was way over the top when I did), the car feels good and is very enjoyable when you get into it but It felt very understeery and reacted in strange ways, It annoyed me that I could not get the car to oversteer in any way, when I see Jeremy Clarkson drifting the real car with 1 finger ^^. It definitely feels like a proper sim, but it is definitely lacking in a few areas. I like it though, the driving model is very enjoyable to drive when you get into the swing of it. It won't be knocking iRacing or NetKar off the physics throne.

Interface : I don't know if this is a telling sign but, the options menu (specifically the controller settings and mapping) are near identical to Rfactor (even in the namings and position within the list), and even the graphics have an Rfactor ish look about them in game. Something about this game feels very Rfactor ish.

I like it, I'l probably play it a bit, though I wish I could work out how I get extra cars, and also why I see videos of a Mclaren MP4-12c even though its not available in game to use nor purchase.

Interface : I don't know if this is a telling sign but, the options menu (specifically the controller settings and mapping) are near identical to Rfactor (even in the namings and position within the list), and even the graphics have an Rfactor ish look about them in game. Something about this game feels very Rfactor ish.

The whole game, physics and everything is based on rFactor's engine. They're basically reselling you the same game but with a different branding.

The whole game, physics and everything is based on rFactor's engine. They're basically reselling you the same game but with a different branding.

This does not surprise me at all, but they aren't selling me the game because its free. Though the additional content costs money.

"Everything"? The engine yes, but that's it (by the way, ISI sells this engine to a lot of simulator developers for professional use). The cars are all new, the tracks are laser scanned and absolutely awesome and it also looks better than rFactor. The only bummer is the pretty lame base content, the Evo X is just a bit boring in my opinion.

What are your times in the Evo X event? Mine is a 2:01.5 (registered like that), driven with a PS2 pad and without any aids (including ABS).

EDIT: Yeah, that road track is kinda stupid, looks like some mod-track made for rFactor with Bob's Track Builder. :lol:

Seems strange that they would use the original (very outdated now) Rfactor engine especially when Rfactor 2 is so close to being released. They are in Beta with this game now using the 5 year old Rfactor engine whilst Rfactor 2 is in beta with a greatly updated/new version.

Seems strange that they would use the original (very outdated now) Rfactor engine especially when Rfactor 2 is so close to being released. They are in Beta with this game now using the 5 year old Rfactor engine whilst Rfactor 2 is in beta with a greatly updated/new version.

Which may have made the price very appealing. Not to mention rfactor probably isnt selling that engine yet.

Played this some more last night, I find the AI is slower than Rfactor, or maybe its just the car (EvoX) - I put them on the highest difficulty on the Longstone track (The ugliest track, but my favourite now) and I absolutely thrashed them, they are way over cautious. I remember the AI in Rfactor being like super aliens on the highest difficulty, I guess it must vary by track/car.

They call this game a Beta, but it feels probably less polished to me than CARS (which they call a pre-alpha). But, this games controls are much much better and feel very responsive, and I really enjoy driving with it.

With that said, I still can't get past the fact that this Lancer EvoX is near impossible to get oversteering, I find myself swinging the weight around and abussing the throttle (and grass) just to try to get a bit sideways to fight off the understeer, which seems faster than just driving around smoothly.

Replay feature is the same as Rfactor, only its worse. I don't know how they managed that. I had to spend about 5mins just smashing keys to work out how to get it to switch to my car, as It defaulted to the car starting in first position (an ai car). Then I had to spend ages bashing keys working out how to get the view I wanted, which still wasn't great when I did.

There also seems to be no indication of where you purchase content, the website seems to be a bit of a mess and has nothing on it, no forums either.

So far enjoying the actual driving part quite a bit (but then I always loved Rfactor) but everything seems a bit sloppy in all the other areas, this must be a very early beta stage. As I already said, apart from the controls this is less polished than CARS.

There also seems to be no indication of where you purchase content, the website seems to be a bit of a mess and has nothing on it, no forums either.
You add funds to your account on the website (via credit card or moneybookers), then you buy the cars in-game.

I can't even get it to download. I signed up to get emails for when it was ready, and it wont even download all the way... I hope my Driving Force Pro will be enough for this game. Actually, I hope my 3 year old HP laptop can handle it...

And the racer plate, what does the Drop-down of letters mean?

I'd downloaded the installer 3 times and each time it keeps telling me that there's an NSIS error. Can someone upload their working installer for me?

It seems good for what it is. A free to play beta. But I seriously have done like 7 races now and everybody logs off or it wont register my win.

Latest Posts

Back