SpinTires - The Ultimate Off-Road Challenge (Demo)

• Thread starter digiprost
  • 278 comments
Some screenshots from the new demo:

spintiresmay1.jpg

| Picnic by a pond |

spintiresmay2.jpg

| Tracks through the woods |

spintiresmay3.jpg

| Sunset at the river |

Loving this, though not sure the VAZ wouldn't get completely stuck more often in reality, especially in the river :)

Has anyone gone off the main tracks much yet? Anything worth exploring or do you just end up running through a lot of trees? I also might try following the river rather than just crossing it.

Last edited:
Loving this, though not sure the VAZ wouldn't get completely stuck more often in reality, especially in the river :)

It's an UAZ. Not to be confused with VAZ a.k.a. Lada. :sly:
Yep, a stock 469 doesn't have any forced diff.locking. But that's what UAZes can do if they are modified:

Has anyone gone off the main tracks much yet? Anything worth exploring or do you just end up running through a lot of trees? I also might try following the river rather than just crossing it.

See the Moglet's post higher.^^

Last edited:
Our military has UAZ's.. They were the alarm clock for the whole brigade thanks to the noise they make when they're attempting to start up :lol:

Project is now 50% funded on Kickstarter, updated demo coming.

Spin Tires
We do have a new demo update on the way (we have been working on this since the launch of the last demo) but we need a little more time to finish it.

The good news is that the map will be twice the size of the first one and will contain many new map models/assets. We have also implemented a chassis VS mud interaction which makes the experience very different when stuck in the mud.

Awesome. 👍 When I first found Spin Tires I assumed it was a stalled project. Glad I was wrong!

Yup, see my post on the previous page; I made it through the trees to the very edge of the map. The river isn't a river, it's just a lake with waves.

You can make your own underwater ravine though, this is what happened to me earlier when I drove the MAZ in to the water from a steep bank:

spintires5.jpg

I appear to have started digging to the other side of the world:

spintires6.jpg

:lol:

EDIT: Playing this game just keeps reminding me of this:

Last edited:
I liked the Kamaz. You're not really offroading unless you get stuck once in a while, and the less-capable "RWD" Kamaz made things more interesting. In the LevelUp 2011 demo I managed to get it to the package on that tall ridge drive. That was a fun challenge:

fyeahj.jpg

I liked the Kamaz. You're not really offroading unless you get stuck once in a while, and the less-capable "RWD" Kamaz made things more interesting. In the LevelUp 2011 demo I managed to get it to the package on that tall ridge drive. That was a fun challenge:

fyeahj.jpg

You have far too much patience.

:P

^ Considering you have to barrel toward each rise at redline in 3rd + diff lock, it's not a very tedious climb. :) The hard parts are keeping out of the wheel ruts on the second rise (going wide for less of a slope), and not tipping over at the hideously off-camber bend right before the package.

This game looks awesome!! I'd gladly buy the full version on whatever systems it comes out on:tup:👍

@The Stig Farmer -- :ouch: I actually read about issues like that, and noticed that it was a different demo instead of an update, so I renamed the old folder to "Spin Tires 2011" before installing the new demo.

Oh... It's a highway truck. Imagine a Freghtliner or a Peterbilt spinning its tires in mud. :D
However, IRL road Kamazes sometimes end up in situations when they have to go offroad. So this is still realistic.

My favourite truck in that demo was KrAZ 255B.
KRAZ_255_pic_71546.jpg

It's a really brutal vehicle! Only BelAZ and 4+ axled MAZes are more brutal. :)
It can get up on obstacles up to 60cm in height, wade ponds up to 1,5m deep and go straight through trees, fences and police buildings. :D
IRL it's very uncomfortable and hard to drive (for example, steering is extremely heavy: there's no power steering!). There's a joke:

Tatra: 3 years of maintenance and there's no more truck.
KrAZ: 3 years of maintenance and there's no more driver
(or: 3 years of maintenance and there's no more road). :lol:

I've just tried a mod for the 2011 demo: Ural 4320.
I bet this truck will be included in the full game, too. It's great! :)
ZlT5iFVeov0.jpg

The new environment is awesome, it even has rocks to climb over 👍

Yep, just gave it a try. I enjoyed climbing these hills on my 469. :cool:
Also, check this out:
9bj_5S6VVoM.jpg

9iWaZZjKcOs.jpg

Remember this rollcage and this spare wheel on the roof? They are sure familiar to you if you have unlocked these upgrades for the KrAZ in the 2011 demo. :)
The vehicle on these pictures is a TMM-3 bridgelayer based on KrAZ 255. It would like to have co-op missions like: one (or more) player(s) put a bridge through a river, and the other(s) deliver(s) the cargo using that bridge. It would be awesome! :dopey:

The new demo shows real improvement. 👍 As has been mentioned, muddy ruts don't arrest your progress like flypaper anymore, and the UAZ can't go everywhere anymore.

At first I was disappointed by how easily overwhelmed the UAZ gets, but then I discovered two of the other new things in the demo -- the new area of the map (which the UAZ can roam easily), and the new auto-clutch setup on the UAZ. The UAZ now crawls forward/backward when you put it into gear in "A" mode, which means you can thread between trees and sneak around muddy spots without digging your wheels in. With this approach you can get almost everywhere on the map again.

Another thing is that the UAZ isn't a submarine anymore. I dove into one of the muddy ponds like in the last demo, and ended up floating. With progress like this and these details, this is going to be a phenomenal game.
Oh... It's a highway truck. Imagine a Freghtliner or a Peterbilt spinning its tires in mud. :D
However, IRL road Kamazes sometimes end up in situations when they have to go offroad. So this is still realistic.
Yep, the LevelUp 2011 demo made it clear it was a highway truck. Would it even have diff lockers, then?

The Kraz is brutal, I'd prefer that for some of the new obstacles in the latest demo.

I really like how the UAZ gets swept away by the current.
Lets hope the update today comes quickly, not that i encountered problems on my PC.

I really like how the UAZ gets swept away by the current.
Lets hope the update today comes quickly, not that i encountered problems on my PC.

I found that mine started to run a bit better once I had explored all of the new area. I noticed you can knock down trees in the new demo which is pretty cool!

I found that mine started to run a bit better once I had explored all of the new area. I noticed you can knock down trees in the new demo which is pretty cool!

As far as I know you've always been able to knock down trees. Just that now they've put in some smaller ones which are easier to destroy :P

The LevelUp 2011 demo had smaller trees you could knock over and it looks like they've brought those same trees back.

For anyone who hasn't seen it yet, the kickstarter goal has been reached. 👍 A new update is on the way to improve performance, too:
Kickstarter
From all of us at Oovee Game Studios, we'd like to express our gratitude and appreciation for your support - after some ups and downs it looks like we've reached our goal of £40,000!

There is still just under a week remaining before the campaign ends so we could possibly reach one of our stretch-goals, which would be epic!

Today we will be releasing a fix for our latest technology demo build which should fix any issues with "freezing" or "lagging".

We'd like to apologize for those experiencing issues trying to download the demo, our servers (both of them) took a pretty big hit and had to be restarted numerous times (you should see our bandwidth usage, it's an insane 24412.50GB this year) . We have since upgraded them and hopefully that will clear up most of the issues.

More good news: Today we are also entering Spintires into the Intel Level Up 2013 competition which, if we won, we'd get a deal with Valve to upload Spintires to Steam! Wish us luck!

More updates on the way explaining how we will be moving forwards with development.

Thanks once again!

Zane Saxton

Managing Director - Oovee Game Studios.

Yep, the LevelUp 2011 demo made it clear it was a highway truck. Would it even have diff lockers, then?

As far as I know, IRL this KamAZ 54115 has a central diff locker only.
AWD KamAZ models like 4310 or 4311 (see below) have lockable diffs on their axles.
j-naYA2R-W8.jpg

AwAWTAOaD7g.jpg

BTW, a stock UAZ 469 should't have lockable diffs, too. I also managed to speed it up reaching the 5th gear, while a real 469 having only 4-speed gearbox. So this one was slightly modified. :dunce:

The £40,000 goal was finally reached - that's great.
I'm gonna stock up with popcorn and stay focused for more good news from the developer. :cool:

Looks fun. The terrain deformation reminds me of Sega Rally Revo and some of the ATV games. Those games did an excellent job with terrain deformation. You could just keep digging yourself into a hole in those games and this looks to do the same thing. I really need to dust off my gaming pc one of these days. Been sitting for many YEARS!

As far as I know, IRL this KamAZ 54115 has a central diff locker only.
AWD KamAZ models like 4310 or 4311 (see below) have lockable diffs on their axles.
BTW, a stock UAZ 469 should't have lockable diffs, too. I also managed to speed it up reaching the 5th gear, while a real 469 having only 4-speed gearbox. So this one was slightly modified. :dunce:
Ah. 👍 I've enjoyed seeing how far I can get with open diffs on the 469, because it resembles the setup on my Legacy, but as a 4WD I don't think the 469 is supposed to have open diffs, either.

Sometimes it's better to go unlocked, because if both wheels spin on mud you're just going to bury the axle.

Back