SpinTires - The Ultimate Off-Road Challenge (Demo)

• Thread starter digiprost
  • 278 comments
Oh what I'd give for a Mac compatible demo. :(

I've managed to get it working on Wineskin, but not brilliantly. On a MacBook Pro 13" by the way, pretty low spec so that could be the main issue.

I don't like these hybrids. I want something new. I want other types of trucks. Like ZiLs and Urals. I like these mods for the 2011 demo:

Ural 4320. Nice detail. You know this truck from Modern Warfare 1 & 2.
GENE4Msu2ZU.jpg

ZiL 157. I like this rusty cab, but I honestly don't like the chassis frame taken from KrAZ.
vyTfeiVzTfE.jpg

GAZ 66. CoD Black Ops, remember?
9Xl-U9Bs6T8.jpg

IFA W50
k0HP8ju8gSY.jpg

I tried most available mods for the previous demo, there were some cool maps and so on, but the new version is much better in my opinion.

More standalone, non-hybrid mods will hopefully come when the demo gets decrypted by the developers. So far only one person managed to add completely new vehicles, aforementioned T40 tractor and a rally Toyota Celica:

Waiting for any new proper off-road vehicles I'm having fun with that:

Sorry for double posting, but I guess the news deserve a separate message.

The KickStarter campaign has ended yesterday, the game was successfully funded reaching 150% of the base goal (gathered nearly £61k which equals ~$95k).

Demo unlocked for modding will be released soon, not sure about any tools. According to the latest update, we can expect the full release in the second half of 2014, meanwhile:

Oh, I love GAZ 69. Tried this - it's pretty fun, but needs very smooth control.
And another new mod - Tatra 813 8x8 (not a final version yet). Didn't try it yet...

I'm surprised no Land Rovers have been done yet. What about the 110 Defender, Series I/II/IIA, 101 forward control?

Yes, the main programmer behind this game, Pavel Zagrebelnyy, is a Russian. The cold war beasts like KrAZ or Ural and especially MAZ, which originally carried nuclear missiles are among the most monstrous off-road vehicles in the world, so I'm not complaining.

Modders focus on soviet vehicles too, there were some western and Japanese vehicles available for 2011 Intel Level Up demo though. As for Land Rovers, apart from the Defender, I also remember the original Range Rover being available.

For the old demo, there are also:

IFA W50
a number of Tatras
Praga V3S
Mercedes-Benz Actros 3241
Chevy Silverado 1979
Ford Focus (sic!)
Suzuki Samurai SJ 413
Jeep Cherokee
MAN TGA Dakar
VW Touareg Dakar
a Mack logging truck
some sort of Scania
LIAZ/Skoda 706 RT
a pack including old Toyota LC, Chevy Blazer and some others.

spd
Yes, the main programmer behind this game, Pavel Zagrebelnyy, is a Russian. The cold war beasts like KrAZ or Ural and especially MAZ, which originally carried nuclear missiles are among the most monstrous off-road vehicles in the world, so I'm not complaining.

Modders focus on soviet vehicles too, there were some western and Japanese vehicles available for 2011 Intel Level Up demo though. As for Land Rovers, apart from the Defender, I also remember the original Range Rover being available.

Would be interesting to see some North Korean Trucks in there, you know the enormous ones which carry ballistic missiles that you see in all those parades they do. Would be nice to see off road military vehicles from all sorts of countries Army's in general.

Yeah, I've seen it too and posted in Spin Tires Group on facebook, even before it got linked on the official profile.

Anyway, if anybody's still interested in the 2011 demo, there's a version floating around with pre-installed maps, vehicles and additional developer tools (daytime/night time, sharpening the graphics, increasing viewing distance, switching maps and vehicles any time in game menu etc): http://d01.megashares.com/index.php?d01=osM75XQ (note it weighs nearly 500MB)

You can also download just the dev tools:http://spintires.rondvierkant.nl/spin-tires-play-like-a-developer/

By the way, that site has a great collection of mods including maps, vehicles, texture packs and so on.

edit: Koreans use 10/12/14 up to 16-wheel Chinese and Russian vehicles.

7687801466_47d23114a7_z.jpg

MZKT-79221

kor230412a.gif

WS51200

Last edited:
Actually, MZKT (also known as Volat) is Belarusian company, just like MAZ (MZKT was a part of MAZ until 1991), they are both located in Minsk.
North Koreans use MAZ 547 and its modifications for their mid-range missiles.
JXjja.jpg

The Chinese WS trucks are based on MAZ/MZKT, too.

You're right man. I hope at least you don't know all the Polish vehicles better than me.

Edit:
Anyway, to not make it complete off-topic, I'll post a picture of the most famous Polish vehicle used by armies of several countries including USSR, a 6x6 truck called Star 266:

star_02.jpg

I hope some Polish modder will bring it to SpinTires one day.

Last edited:
I know Star 266, I have a 1/72 model of it. :)
Hmm, but I didn't know it was adopted by Soviet Army. There's no article about Star on the Russian Wiki. However, I found a photo of a Star with Soviet plates.

57343.jpg

So I want Star in this game, too, as well as Tatra and IFA (they were imported to USSR, too).
Speaking about Polish cars and trucks... If I don't open Wiki, I can honestly tell Star 266, FSO Warsawa, FSO Polonez, Zuk... That's probably all I know. :)

Not bad!

As for the wishlists, there are slim chances any of it will happen. 7 vehicles were confirmed, of which we already know 4, and Ural was hinted by devs several times, which leaves only 2 still unknown. I'd bet on Tatra, since it is the most requested by community, still nothing sure. Personally, as we already have a 8x8, I'd rather see GAZ-66 or more recent Sadko.

1354689117_vezdehod-siver-zvm-3966-s-kungom.jpg

Modified GAZ-66, note the portal axles.

gaz-3308-sadko.jpg

GAZ Sadko.

By the way, Rage Racer, do you have any idea why GAZ switched back to conventional instead of cab-over body style? Easier access to cabin and engine comes to mind, but other than that I have no clue.

Oh, I want them too. Especially the 66. I'm almost sure that Shishiga (the nickname of GAZ 66) will appear in this game, because it's often used by hunters and all kinds of adventurers. Many off-roading jeep clubs in Russia have Shishiga as a rescue truck, for pulling Land Cruisers and Land Rovers out of deep mud. :cool:

spd
By the way, Rage Racer, do you have any idea why GAZ switched back to conventional instead of cab-over body style? Easier access to cabin and engine comes to mind, but other than that I have no clue.

Because of expierence from the war in Afghanistan. Cab over trucks turned out more dangerous for the driver in case of a landmine explosion, while conventional trucks like Ural were giving a chance of survival to their drivers after ending up on a landmine.

For the old demo, there are also:

IFA W50
a number of Tatras
Praga V3S
Mercedes-Benz Actros 3241
Chevy Silverado 1979
Ford Focus (sic!)
Suzuki Samurai SJ 413
Jeep Cherokee
MAN TGA Dakar
VW Touareg Dakar
a Mack logging truck
some sort of Scania
LIAZ/Skoda 706 RT
a pack including old Toyota LC, Chevy Blazer and some others.
OH dang the 79 Silverado is pretty much identical to one of the vehicles I used to own. I had a 79 Chevy short box and a 1977 Chevy Blazer. Loved both of them. I wonder what those look like in this game?

OH dang the 79 Silverado is pretty much identical to one of the vehicles I used to own. I had a 79 Chevy short box and a 1977 Chevy Blazer. Loved both of them. I wonder what those look like in this game?

I think someone made a mod with the Silverado for the 2011 demo.

There. The lower-left one seems to be K5 Blazer.

95ebf52cc482.jpg

And here is the Silverado:

64ec61872b64.jpg

An official forum was launched a few days ago, so if you want your suggestions to be heard by the developers, that is the place to post: http://www.oovee.co.uk/forum/

I'm one of the moderators there, under 'PiotrekPere' nick, mainly managing Polish section (0 posts at this moment, lots of work).

An interview with the Zane Saxton over at Rock Paper Shotgun.

Interestingly:

"RPS: How large are levels likely to be?

Zane: Difficult question. We haven’t yet decided what scale we’d like to go for but we have discovered that we can increase the view distance to a stupidly high level, without a major performance impact."

Also:

"RPS: Why won’t cab views feature in the initial release?

Zane: I cannot say at this time whether or not cab views will be in the initial release. Since the VeeEngine was not designed for cab views, it would require a considerable rewrite of our particle effects (since the viewer would be closer to those elements at ground level) and various other camera effects. With that said, keep an eye on our developers blog and you may see something in future."

He says that if all goes to plan, the game should be finished around Q3 2014.

So, anybody plays the moddable demo?
kEKMkEXhleI.jpg

Ural 4320
rLd-CAWggbs.jpg

F6zeDu1QugU.jpg

Ural 4320 gas tanker
YNbujKWluVg.jpg

KrAZ 255 dumper with a PTS-6 trailer.
4AmsQHdfDio.jpg

KrAZ 255L - log carrier.
These logs can be shook off the cart. :cool:
GEEQG57EQZM.jpg