"Standards" the good, the bad and the ugly

• Thread starter bodger
  • 4,101 comments
A flight simulator (for example) would never dream of not including the cockpit. And a flight SIMULATION proponent would never dream of turning it off (even though the screen is smaller than real life, and you see the stick on screen as well as your desk, or whatever other excuse). Turning it off is nothing more than a means of gaining an arbitrary advantage, and as such, every bit the aid that driving line is. (and an aid I will use on events where I just can't get gold and say feck it and just turn on all the aids simply to get the prize/credits - bumper cam, TCS, ABS [on cars that don't actually have it], drivingl ine, SRF, all of it, since it's all the same thing in purpose) It's something that a lobby host should be able to lock (on). It's also something that should see more focus from the devs. Even if it's just the non-functional style (Caterham, Prowler, FGT, etc). As someone else above mentioned, it's an improvement to immersion, which is just as important a part of simulation as physics modeling. It's so disappointing that it's 2015, and the 6th installment of something billing itself as a simulator, running on a platform that now can handle interior views (and even working with clutch pedals and H gate shifters), and the majority of cars don't have them, and majority of users bend over backwards to excuse the use of wonder-woman view (flight-sim term referring to her invisible jet, in this case, it is aka "bumper-cam").

Turning off the wheel animation would be fine. Weird and wholly unessecary, but fine. And I suppose it might help frame rate to pull the figure, wheel and stick out. But then again, it should be optimized for frame rate and calulation with all that stuff involved, and locked even if you remove it (lest that become another arbitrary advantage).

I am grateful for even the blacked out silhouette. It's better than nothing. But I'm sure they could out-source the non-functional interiors for all the standards for free, and not interfere with any of their other work. Shame they don't do it.

More than that though, I really want the option to confine to interior as a host option.

Relatedly, is there a list somewhere of all cars that have a detailed, but non-functional (and are not, therefore, premiuims) interior? I know about anything that has no roof. Is that it? (Prowler, Caterham, etc) Or are there any roofed ones with a surprise? (would shape my "to buy" car list)

That has nothing to do with what I'm saying. I use standards. I just bought a MINI COOPER '02. Slammed it on its guts and it makes sparks everywhere. ;)

In GTAV, there is no cockpit view. Yet, you can see the dash and instrumentation from outside the car while you drive. In GT, we know there is cockpit view and no simple dash. Thia is a dedicated car game. That's what I'm saying. We can talk and have been talking about this for years and it hasn't changed. That's the shame.

If you're using a standard Mini rather than one of the premiums, then you can't be that bothered about it, so I still don't see why it's a shame.

My mistake, it's that because he's using a standard when there are premiums, he can't be that bothered by it. I'd point you to a checklist, but...

If you're using a standard Mini rather than one of the premiums, then you can't be that bothered about it, so I still don't see why it's a shame.

Okay, I'll be gentle. Read my reason for using the MINI again. Sure, I can drive a premium model. That's not the point. I want to drive a rhd drive MINI without a SC or Turbo; customize it and drive cockpit view like a premium. I could do that if it were premium. I could do that if the person in charge of modelling MINIs, upgrade the standard ones. If not to premium, then at least with some form of interior.

It is a shame because, after 15 years, we players, still have to look at poorly pixelated cars. With each GT series, the graphics should get better.

I'll mention the *obvious* idea, which is that PD could do a crude copy/paste of similar premium interiors. I'd rather have a premium interior cockpit of a 2005 showing up for my 2002 than a crude black box.

The odd thing is, they could actually cover most of the standards in the game this way, yet don't. We have an '89 Nissan 300ZX with a black box interior, and another with a fully detailed premium view. Go figure. :dunce:

I want to drive a rhd drive MINI without a SC or Turbo; customize it and drive cockpit view like a premium.

It seems you want PD to add to the game every car model that you want to drive, which of course is impossible to achieve for everyone.

PD simply can't win this game because their options are:

1) make all cars premium
2) remove standards, retain only premiums
3) continue as is

and of those 1) takes too long and people won't like it, 2) takes away a lot of interesting cars and people won't like it, and 3) retains the issue of standards and again people won't like it.

I'd also like to point out that, at least to my knowledge, it's possible to get 100% completion by only driving premium cars. That pretty much renders the entire standard fleet as an option for those who want it, naturally they're encountered in races but in the middle of an overtaking move the lower visual quality is hardly the first thing that catches one's attention. My personal opinion is that they're good grid filler material and among them are some real gems - after all it's the oddballs that make Gran Turismo so appealing.

It seems you want PD to add to the game every car model that you want to drive, which of course is impossible to achieve for everyone.

Nope. We didn't have Mini and MINIs in GT1 and GT3. What we have now, in GT6, is what we get. No need to add every car. PD just needed to upgrade what we are given.

Again, here's the thing. We got upgraded two classic Countach. We have three New MINIs as standard and a duplicate lhd '02 Premium Cooper S. The '98 Mini is an icon just as much as the Countach and I bet more iconic than the Alpine A110. The Mini '98 and that standard rhd '02 Cooper S could have been upgraded to Premium. The MINI ONE and MINI Cooper standards could have been upgraded too. This is the shame and arguement for the past year and one month.

Last edited:

1) make all cars premium
3) continue as is

and of those 1) takes too long and people won't like it, 2) takes away a lot of interesting cars and people won't like it, and 3) retains the issue of standards and again people won't like it.

I'd also like to point out that, at least to my knowledge, it's possible to get 100% completion by only driving premium cars. That pretty much renders the entire standard fleet as an option for those who want it, naturally they're encountered in races but in the middle of an overtaking move the lower visual quality is hardly the first thing that catches one's attention. My personal opinion is that they're good grid filler material and among them are some real gems - after all it's the oddballs that make Gran Turismo so appealing.
It's interesting that standards possess some of the most unique cars, while also retaining so many of the duplicates in the game.

I feel like there is room for a happy compromise, in which duplicates are removed, and they focus on upgrading as many individual standards to premium as possible.

PD just needed to upgrade what we are given.
But:
What we have now, in GT6, is what we get.

Even the tiniest of differences require modeling effort, I expect that's especially true of the interiors, but the BMW Minis have a lot of subtly different exterior trim details for PD to get wrong. They just didn't get around to it, given all the other modeling work they were doing, I'd say - no doubt it's on their list.

Besides, it's a far bigger travesty that the original Mini is still a Standard. :P

Even the tiniest of differences require modeling effort, I expect that's especially true of the interiors, but the BMW Minis have a lot of subtly different exterior trim details for PD to get wrong. They just didn't get around to it, given all the other modeling work they were doing, I'd say - no doubt it's on their list.

Besides, it's a far bigger travesty that the original Mini is still a Standard. :P

Couldn't agree more.

1) make all cars premium
3) continue as is

Talk about a triple bladed sword. PD wants to keep the standards as an archive of the cars, but they have agreed to upgrade them for GT7 so they don't look as hideous as some of them have.
If anything, some of the standards could be eliminated if they are copies of each other like the Tiburon which has 3 of the same car, just renamed, 50+ different Skylines that the premium ones could stay and the standard versions could be eliminated.
But there are just so many variations of other cars too. Maybe PD could just take away some of them to slim down the numbers because they are slight and some of them are just special colors which could just be layered over the other models of the same iteration of the car.

Nope. We didn't have Mini and MINIs in GT1 and GT3. What we have now, in GT6, is what we get. No need to add every car. PD just needed to upgrade what we are given.

So if they didn't have time to upgrade the standard Mini Cooper, you wouldn't have been able to drive it.

Again, here's the thing. We got upgraded two classic Countach. We have three New MINIs as standard and a duplicate lhd '02 Premium Cooper S. The '98 Mini is an icon just as much as the Countach and I bet more iconic than the Alpine A110. The Mini '98 and that standard rhd '02 Cooper S could have been upgraded to Premium. The MINI ONE and MINI Cooper standards could have been upgraded too. This is the shame and arguement for the past year and one month.

With fixed resources PD couldn't upgrade every car that people wanted.

You're analizing the wrong parts of my quotes. Of course, if the Mini Cooper wasn't available, it wouldn't matter.

I'm not talking about what people wanted. No doubt about PD's resources. It's more about consistency. As a side note, the GT6 video was released, people were shocked the C9, Countach '74, Stingray, A110, Cizeta were premium. We saw the KTM, SLS GT3 and Alfa. All the 15th Anniversary cars are Premium. They sure found time to make liveries and upgrade cars to Semi-Premium. Problem is, PD painted themselves into a corner with the standards and duplicate standards.

1) make all cars premium
3) continue as is

they could out-source the non-functional interiors for all the standards for free, and not interfere with any of their other work. Shame they don't do it.

More than that though, I really want the option to confine to interior as a host option.

Back