"Standards" the good, the bad and the ugly

• Thread starter bodger
  • 4,101 comments
Nope. We didn't have Mini and MINIs in GT1 and GT3. What we have now, in GT6, is what we get. No need to add every car. PD just needed to upgrade what we are given.

Again, here's the thing. We got upgraded two classic Countach. We have three New MINIs as standard and a duplicate lhd '02 Premium Cooper S. The '98 Mini is an icon just as much as the Countach and I bet more iconic than the Alpine A110. The Mini '98 and that standard rhd '02 Cooper S could have been upgraded to Premium. The MINI ONE and MINI Cooper standards could have been upgraded too. This is the shame and arguement for the past year and one month.
I agree. How can Cooper S '02 stay in GT6 if we have the Cooper S '05?

I agree. How can Cooper S '02 stay in GT6 if we have the Cooper S '05?

Because the specs are different. Most notably the weight. Here are their numbers post-purchase and pre-oil change.

'02
159 hp / 6,000 rpm
155 ft-lb / 4,000 rpm
1,120 kg
389 pp

'05
167 hp / 6,000 rpm
162 ft-lb / 4,000 rpm
1,180 kg
391 pp

Due to the massive 60 kg difference, the '02 is actually faster.

Because the specs are different. Most notably the weight. Here are their numbers post-purchase and pre-oil change.

'02
159 hp / 6,000 rpm
155 ft-lb / 4,000 rpm
1,120 kg
389 pp

'05
167 hp / 6,000 rpm
162 ft-lb / 4,000 rpm
1,180 kg
391 pp

Due to the massive 60 kg difference, the '02 is actually faster.
OK, And what about the A110 1600S '72 and '73 versions?

You perhaps ought to use more than one word to explain your point of view, then.
Why was there no need for it (headlight animation) before GT5, and why is it obvious, particularly so obvious that you didn't explain it at all?

I remember in GT4 demos, headlights for the Super GT cars were illuminated on Tokyo R246. I thought we would finally have control over turning them on. We still cant turn them on, but hi-beams for standards is a small move forward.

Because there was never a circumstance in the series prior to GT5 where there was a need for it.
A bit arguable, don't you think?
You can't possibly think everyone is just going to agree that you need a dynamic change in time to turn the headlights on, do you?

Well yeah, I guess clearly some of you do. :rolleyes:

When you have night tracks that are more well light then most NASCAR ovals, they really aren't necessary. At what point in any of the prior GT games from 1 to 4 were they actually needed? None of them ever were dark enough to require them. Its not about everyone "Just agreeing", its about the actual need for them to function that way and yes it is only now with Dynamic day/night that the headlights only now actually are necessary.

A bit arguable, don't you think?
I can't imagine how it could be. It's pretty straightforward to note that even the headlights being lit in night tracks in the PS2 era was simply eye candy.

So let's start over. You apparently feel there was a need for a headlight opening/closing animation for car models originally designed for a game with night tracks brighter than some of the day tracks in the current game. What was that need?

Last edited:
Pretty sure NFS managed headlights in action on the PS1.
There was definitely the possibility to "have" animated headlights before GT5, we just "didn't".

They could have implemented headlight animation before GT5 if they wanted to but they didn't. Griffith500 (I think) was saying that all the cars imported from games prior to GT5 would not have had headlight animations. This is true, because there was no option to turn on/off headlights in GT1-4. PD could have added an animation when they imported them, but I believe they did not.

PD could have put in a headlight on/off function in GT1-4 but they did not. Therefore those models had no animation for it. Some people may say they should/should not have put in animations, but that won't change the fact that they never did. I don't think it was necessary as there was never a reason to need to toggle the headlights as the time of day never changed.

My brain tends to explain things like James May, sorry for that. (It's helpful in science tests/exams!)

Guys its not about whether they could have or not, its about whether it was even necessary in the first place. To my memory, there was no racing sim in the PS2 era that did night time settings to the compacity that they do now on the PS3 and possibly the PS4. What necessary purpose would they serve on that generation when again, there was no night track dark enough to seriously require it?

Guys its not about whether they could have or not, its about whether it was even necessary in the first place. To my memory, there was no racing sim in the PS2 era that did night time settings to the compacity that they do now on the PS3 and possibly the PS4. What necessary purpose would they serve on that generation when again, there was no night track dark enough to seriously require it?
Yes it is, this is about why GT5/6 standards have no headlight animations. The reason is because there was never a day/night transition in GT1-4.

I'm not cross or anything that's just how I interpreted the whole thing.

16333284429_612de6c048_b.jpg

16493554486_840de592ab_b.jpg

I'd put it in between the "good" and "bad" but it's definitely not ugly. There better be a premium DC2 in GT7...

It's funny how little work would it take to make some of the standard cars premium (on the outside, at least), because there is already a premium model of a car that is 95% identical. Basically you copy and paste the premium model and make slight changes if necesesarry. They did it with the Miatas and one of the Aston Martins, but it could be done on a lot more of them.

For example, the '07 Mustang (that is premium in game) and the '05 Mustang (standard) don't differ much in real life. From what I can see PD would only have to take the '07 model, remove the lights (reflectors?) from the rear bumper and a few other details and bam, the '05 is premium too. Just a little work and one less ugly, blocky model in the game. If there is going to be so much duplicates you might as well use the premium models where you can.

Syracuse_4.jpg
Syracuse_5.jpg
Syracuse_6.jpg
Syracuse_7.jpg
Syracuse_8.jpg
Syracuse_9.jpg
Syracuse_10.jpg
Syracuse_11.jpg
Syracuse_12.jpg
Syracuse_13.jpg
Syracuse_14.jpg
Syracuse_15.jpg
Syracuse_16.jpg

It's funny how little work would it take to make some of the standard cars premium (on the outside, at least), because there is already a premium model of a car that is 95% identical. Basically you copy and paste the premium model and make slight changes if necesesarry. They did it with the Miatas and one of the Aston Martins, but it could be done on a lot more of them.

For example, the '07 Mustang (that is premium in game) and the '05 Mustang (standard) don't differ much in real life. From what I can see PD would only have to take the '07 model, remove the lights (reflectors?) from the rear bumper and a few other details and bam, the '05 is premium too. Just a little work and one less ugly, blocky model in the game. If there is going to be so much duplicates you might as well use the premium models where you can.

View attachment 310503View attachment 310516 View attachment 310504 View attachment 310505 View attachment 310506 View attachment 310507 View attachment 310508 View attachment 310510 View attachment 310511 View attachment 310512 View attachment 310513 View attachment 310514 View attachment 310515
You should have compared between 500F '65 and 500F '68.

I would like to see more comparisons from you. For example, between a '72 A110 and '73 A110...

I'd argue that some of the model year variations shouldn't be in as separate models - they should be selectable alongside trim levels and colour.

So in terms of determining what is a duplicate and what has a meaningful difference, it was less effort for PD to leave it for us to decide what is meaningful. That's more time they can spend making new content instead, if that should be a priority.

In respect of swapping the models over, where there are subtle detail changes that need to be amended in the mesh and texturing, that also takes time. So either they didn't get around to it, it wasn't deemed worth the effort they could have put somewhere else or it's just not going to happen at all.

Remember that Premiumification is a long journey, and the release of GT6 is a snapshot of that process - it doesn't mean that those cars that weren't touched are being ignored, necessarily, or that these "simple" things didn't occur to PD, just that they weren't looked at yet, by the time of release.

Assumedly, the point at which they do get looked at is when PD decide whether it's meaningful to retain the variation moving forwards, or if indeed it is a variation at all.

Meanwhile, the NISMO Dealership suffer. The R34 came in more colors than red. The 400R and R32 have a few alternative colors to choose. With their Premium AND SP variants, liveries could definitely have solved upgrading them.

The Mine's Skyline have two versions. Even though the boot lid, BBS style and apparently the physics differ. The Standard requires an update. The Premium is right next to it!

View attachment 310503View attachment 310516 View attachment 310504 View attachment 310505 View attachment 310506 View attachment 310507 View attachment 310508 View attachment 310510 View attachment 310511 View attachment 310512 View attachment 310513 View attachment 310514 View attachment 310515
Won't it be better if PD just got rid of the duplicates rather than keeping them? They serve no purpose other than increasing the car count to make a false advertisement saying "we got 1200 cars", while the 800 are just ports from GT4... It was okay in GT1 and GT2 because both those games had Racing Mods, but here, it's not. Not anymore.

Won't it be better if PD just got rid of the duplicates rather than keeping them? They serve no purpose other than increasing the car count to make a false advertisement saying "we got 1200 cars", while the 800 are just ports from GT4... It was okay in GT1 and GT2 because both those games had Racing Mods, but here, it's not. Not anymore.

Well yeah, that's why I said "If there's going to be so much duplicates..". I was talking strictly about GT6, and as we all know there are a lot of duplicates in GT6. My point was that most of those duplicate standards could easily be made into premiums by sharing the 3D model with a nearly identical car that is premium. I'd rather have premium duplicates than standard ones. But sure, the less duplicates in the next game the better.

I remember kaz saying that "Every car has their own fans". Lets take a standard miata for example. A European person may prefer the eunos roadster, a person in Japan may prefer the mx-5, and the american may prefer the miata. But kaz really needs to realize, its the exact same car.

Latest Posts

Back