"Standards" the good, the bad and the ugly

• Thread starter bodger
  • 4,101 comments
I missed the last day or so of these early copy threads, so I'm wondering if you wouldn't mind answering a couple questions that I'm sure have probably been asked and answered, I just wouldn't know even close to what page to start looking for specific answers. I'm not looking for pics or anything (though I wouldn't complain on one or two of them)

I noticed your screens of the 97 Camaro. Are those replacement wheels, or are those the factory ones? I think I know the answer, they look stock, but wow they look damn good. Maybe that's more of a comment then.

Speaking of Camaros....... How does the IROC Concept look? I'd like to see similar improvements in that Camaro's wheels.

Lights on the GT-R Pace Car working? I saw this asked, but never saw an answer.

Oh, and I read in one of these thread that the SVT Cobra looks damn near premium now. Really that good or hyperbole? I couldn't find any pics to confirm.

It was obvious you meant standards, but it doesn't change a lot.
It's not like you click on an upscale button and the car magically gets more polygons.
I recommend you to research a bit about 3D modeling, it's actually pretty cool but also pretty difficult and time consuming.

Nope, I don't.

Wait.. bad premiums? My bad... I totally meant standards. Improving the standards a bit.

Modeling guide:

One Hour:

One Day:

A half year:
701f64e8381b90545c20c49a28cf34a4-d6u8oli.jpg

A GT4 level standard car should be between a weak and a month of work.

Don't take too much seriously PD's statement about modeling time. It doesn't actually take 6 months of time to model one car to that level of detail for a professional or advanced hobbyist modeler.

The times PD quote are probably just a reference to man hours. There are teams of people that are part of the car crew. Folks that do scanning, folks for photos, people to arrange and schedule time with the source car, sound recording, etc.... the actual 3D modeling is only a portion of that time.

Well. at least it took me that long to model this car and it is not even GT quality and I am not thaaat Slooow of a modeler.
Not to devalue your job in modeling that Wartburg, which is quite good, but if that's your first attempt in modeling a car (as you mentioned in the link you provided in your signature), don't you think that people who do it for a living, have access to the best reference available (by quality and quantity) have an optimized toolchain for the task, in addition of working on it full-time would be able to model it in much less time than 6 months of man-hours?
The times PD quote are probably just a reference to man hours. There are teams of people that are part of the car crew. Folks that do scanning, folks for photos, people to arrange and schedule time with the source car, sound recording, etc.... the actual 3D modeling is only a portion of that time.
Yes, exactly. That's the likely case, taking into account the time possibly invested by people not directly involved in the modeling itself. But that's in a way lying by omission.

Modeling guide:

One Hour:

One Day:

A half year:
701f64e8381b90545c20c49a28cf34a4-d6u8oli.jpg

A GT4 level standard car should be between a weak and a month of work.
that one day is what 24 hours of work or a days work.. using inventor i was making cars in 3-4 hours that were as Complicated as that. I made a fully detailed tank in 29 hours minus the threads. I'm talking nuts bolts textures etc! I made a headlight in an hour , all it needed was a bump map texture for the glass part.

Last edited:
Not to devalue your job in modeling that Wartburg, which is quite good, but if that's your first attempt in modeling a car (as you mentioned in the link you provided in your signature), don't you think that people who do it for a living, have access to the best reference available (by quality and quantity) have an optimized toolchain for the task, in addition of working on it full-time would be able to model it in much less time than 6 month of man-hours?
While not bad, his Wartburg is not even close to a GT6 Premium car, so yes, they have optimized stuff and it will still take this long..

Yes, exactly. That's the likely case, taking into account the time possibly invested by people not directly involved in the modeling itself. But that's in a way lying by omission.

Not really lying. IMO probably reasonably accurate. Any one man(woman) would probably need 6 months to model any one car in high detail, inside and out, if they also had to do all the required work.

that one day is what 24 hours of work or a days work.. using inventor i was making cars in 3-4 hours that were as Complicated as that. I made a fully detailed tank in 29 hours minus the threads. I'm talking nuts bolts textures etc! I made a headlight in an hour , all it needed was a bump map texture for the glass part.

Wasn't Inventor a CAD/construction program? If so, the work flow would be quite different to game modeling programs like 3ds Max or maya and hard to compare.

Someone who knows what he's talking about. Nice stuff Zoid!

Thanks.

I'm surprised this is getting so much backlash, the standards are a HUGE step up from what GT5's were. I'm just happy they gave them some love, they could have just ignored them if they wanted to and programmed driving on Mercury or something. I'm seriously digging the standard's makeover and that just makes me more anxious for the 6th.

I'm surprised this is getting so much backlash, the standards are a HUGE step up from what GT5's were. I'm just happy they gave them some love, they could have just ignored them if they wanted to and programmed driving on Mercury or something. I'm seriously digging the standard's makeover and that just makes me more anxious for the 6th.

Driving on Mercury. :lol: If there is any backlash it's probably due to most of them not being updated. Some people like the updated standards so much they call them "semi-premium". :lol:

I'm surprised this is getting so much backlash, the standards are a HUGE step up from what GT5's were.

You're right. Except that the standards in GT5 were awful.

I'm sure a punch in the face feels great when you compare it to being stabbed in the heart.

Actually, that's not fair. Some of the new standards do look pretty good. But they're still noticeably inferior to premiums, and they still lack some "features" compared to premiums.

They're not PS3 cars. They're still shiny PS2 cars.

Back