Super GT/JGTC Shootout - 07/06 - Shootout Officially Finished!

• Thread starter Michelin
  • 1,105 comments
I've only entered 3 shootouts but the time I spent on them taught me probably 75% of everything I know about tuning. Some might say 75% of next to nothing...lol...but still when you intensely focus on one car and it's attributes, making small changes here and there to search out minute changes in handling, it does translate into all your other tuning.

By the way, turning down the LSD and turning up the rear toe might help with the exit oversteer but with 500 HP and 400+ ft/lbs of torque on tap, and only 1100 kgs on RH tires, you cannot eliminate all the exit oversteer, especially on Fuji where the last 4 corners all involve slightly negative g's on corner exit. I've done all I can with a couple of cars and got them to turn some good laps, but you still cannot mash the throttle with any of them or it will lose the back end in a hurry.
I had/have more problems with understeer.

Even me?! :D Well, I've achieved both, though it did take a lot of driving. The GT300 took more effort though, strangely.

Also…is it just me…or does the phrases "tuning" and "Fuji" not mix? I can't seem to find enough of a reason to tweak an already good, stable platform like the GT300 cars, and my driving doesn't seem to help.
I am of the opinion that everyone on the planet can drive, if they simply learn how.

You're a good example actually, you were running god awful times in the first shootout I saw you in (FF), and they've steadily improved as you've driven and watched videos, etc.
Praiano is another, just massive improvements in his posted lap times the last year, all the way down into the depths of D1.

Yes sir, everyone can go fast, you just have to figure out how first is all. No different than I had to, or even the aliens.

Tested a few cars yesterday and could do a couple (greenflaged) 36' laps.

Definitely aiming for 35's.
Yuppers, got me a 36.1 in a car, 36.2, 36.6, and.......:eek: 37.5 :lol:

With more than 3-4 laps in a car, I fully expect to find low 35's, and keeping distant hope alive I'll find a 34. :lol: (unlikely at best with the new "boundaries" since the WRS week I posted a video from.) :(

After that pep talk I really want to get back to regular participation in the WRS. :embarrassed: I feel like my skill has taken a back step since I last ran a serious week there. Though back in reality I can still blow the doors off your average Evo driver behind the wheel of my stinky, busted Volvo sedan....not that I will admit it if there are any "authorities" about.

I think I will commit to both sides of the GT300 for this one, NM. Go ahead and put me down for that at least. We will see how my NSX goes for whether I will submit that too.

I am of the opinion that everyone on the planet can drive, if they simply learn how.

You're a good example actually, you were running god awful times in the first shootout I saw you in (FF), and they've steadily improved as you've driven and watched videos, etc.
Praiano is another, just massive improvements in his posted lap times the last year, all the way down into the depths of D1.

Yes sir, everyone can go fast, you just have to figure out how first is all. No different than I had to, or even the aliens.

Yuppers, got me a 36.1 in a car, 36.2, 36.6, and.......:eek: 37.5 :lol:

With more than 3-4 laps in a car, I fully expect to find low 35's, and keeping distant hope alive I'll find a 34. :lol: (unlikely at best with the new "boundaries" since the WRS week I posted a video from.) :(
Lemme guess.......NSX? :)

I was going to ask, which NSX are you using? :lol:

But actually, the car that ran 36.5 with room to reach the others(one of the first I ran, worse lap), is not an NSX.
I've ran 36.5(worse quality laps) with a GTR and a Supra.
35.9 in a dirty, but "could-easily-be-re-ran-without-being-dirty" in an NSX now, but I believe the GTR and Supra I tested can both get within .2-.4 of any NSX I've tested so far.(3)
The Z wasn't too far behind either.
A GTR ran the terrible 37.5.

From the torque figures it should be completely the other way around, the Z's first, then Supras then NSX's and GTR's... Interesting.

Although that said maybe torque = wheelspin :lol:

I would think weight would be potentially more important, particularly the NSX's which weigh 50-90KG's more than most other cars(Takata weighs 1170 Motul Z 04 weighs 1080). Plus I'm running them all with huge amounts of power limiter, because without it you won't have a chance.
Anyways, still one of the heaviest cars is turning the fastest laps for me so far.:boggled:

I've revived my old GTP_smrtb0mb account! So if it's not too late, I'd like to sign up as a tester. I'll try to do both GT500 and 300, but might skip the 300s if I don't have the time.

Just to let you guys know, tuners deadline is next Wednesday, May 16th. ;)

If it's the '00 Castrol, I'm not bothered by it. Really, I'm going to try most every single car, so it's not important to me what anyone else will use. :)

The heaviest car with the lowest torque is running the fastest lap? Wut?
Based on how the actual JGTC rules were setup it makes sense.
I don't know a lot about the real series, but they use a 'ballast' system to even out the cars. So, the Takata Dome, which joined in <whatever year> came out and won the Pole and destroyed the competition. They added weight, to remove advantage. They still won, they added more weight.

By this logic, you can assume, the heaviest cars in the game, are the fastest. (Except for you Lambo!) So, in situations like this, the problem gets compounded even further, because of the PP system. (I don't know if this competition uses PP or hp/weight) But for online lobbies, if you use PP, the heavier cars get to use MORE power than the light cars(in order to fit the PP), which completely nullifies the point of the added weight in their real life counterparts. Serious online GT300/500 rooms use the weight/hp system. This way everyone has the same power, but the cars remain equal, because the cars that were forced to add weight, still have that added weight, whereas the lighter cars, get to sneak in at 1100kg.

Stealth cars are another exception to this rule.

The Takata Dome is always a top contender, regardless of what restrictions you apply. Stealth GTR can beat it, when there is no weight minimum. Lambo sucks unfortunately.

Based on how the actual JGTC rules were setup it makes sense.
I don't know a lot about the real series, but they use a 'ballast' system to even out the cars. So, the Takata Dome, which joined in <whatever year> came out and won the Pole and destroyed the competition. They added weight, to remove advantage. They still won, they added more weight.

By this logic, you can assume, the heaviest cars in the game, are the fastest. (Except for you Lambo!) So, in situations like this, the problem gets compounded even further, because of the PP system. (I don't know if this competition uses PP or hp/weight) But for online lobbies, if you use PP, the heavier cars get to use MORE power than the light cars(in order to fit the PP), which completely nullifies the point of the added weight in their real life counterparts. Serious online GT300/500 rooms use the weight/hp system. This way everyone has the same power, but the cars remain equal, because the cars that were forced to add weight, still have that added weight, whereas the lighter cars, get to sneak in at 1100kg.

Stealth cars are another exception to this rule.

The Takata Dome is always a top contender, regardless of what restrictions you apply. Stealth GTR can beat it, when there is no weight minimum. Lambo sucks unfortunately.
I agree to a point, less so with the GT300's particularly.

I've already found a 1.5 second gap between GT500 cars, there are flaws in any mandated specs for GT5, because physical numbers aren't overly related to actual on-track performance in GT5.

A 355HP/1150KG Lexus IS350 vs. a 325HP, 1050KG FTO - The Lexus is quicker, the FTO has higher top speed. Both have manic power bands.
Without debating specific details of these particular 2 cars, that's the opposite of what should happen.

This competition intrigues me because it's HP-only regulations, and it is proving better than the PP system for me so far, but it's still going to limit the competitive cars heavily, but not as many, or by as much. :)

Do you guys need more testers? I'd like to sign up for the GT300 class.

Everyone who joins is well accepted, especially testers. Welcome to the shootout! 👍

...if we all remember to post everything on time, yea. Tuning race cars is a fairly different thing to tuning road cars, it seems...

Or am I rambling about crap again? :dopey:
Downforce = Stiffer.
That's about it for me, usually a looser LSD to prevent spins as the power rises, but that's also true for road cars.

I need to put in some seat time this weekend to make sure I get done on time. My RX-7 is ready but I'm not sure it's different enough from the tune I was using for the WRS week here, which is definitely not my own. Problem is I'm too much a rotary fanboy and too concerned with aesthetics... :D

Back