Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends

• Thread starter drivatar
  • 861 comments
I don't know what SMS was trying to do with this game to be honest, the game was pretty much dead on arrival, it wasn't advertised and it wasn't supported after release. It's like they didn't want you to know that the game was out.

Remember that this game was shelved for quite a while until Atari bought it, so its logical that the quality isnt beyond Shift 2 in every aspect. Also Atari, as the publisher, is to blame for lack of PR and support, not SMS.

Remember that this game was shelved for quite a while until Atari bought it, so its logical that the quality isnt beyond Shift 2 in every aspect. Also Atari, as the publisher, is to blame for lack of PR and support, not SMS.

So in the end, this game was just quick buck to fund Project CARS.

No, it was a project on shelf that somebody bought, with no relation to Project CARS at all. pCARS was already fully funded when TDF was released. Would you have preferred it to stay locked away?

Would you have preferred it to stay locked away?

GOD NO!!

There is this narrow angle of Shift games funs out there. So this game without Shift flaws is a perfect opportunity to play game with the same game engine with the cars that should appear in Second DLC for ps3.

Shift haters off course had all the right to dislike this game too.

Its well worth that, the best thing bout this game is hot lapping as the leaderboards are true. Online racing is ok if you can find someone to race, career is very dull tho i never even finished unlocking all tracks.

Shame you can't disable the stupid GUI in replay
11146871626_c29c9cbcac_h.jpg

A basic photo mode wouldn't go amiss either. I believe the Shift games had a photomode.

So far I've just taken a F430 on a few practice laps of Catalunya, but the input lag seems very pronounced again. I've messed with the settings a little but ultimately, lag is lag. I'll stick with it but initially dissappointed, will always be compensating for it like Shift 2 when I really want to be, well, just driving.

Also there are some bugs in the PC version, it crashes when you try to configure a gamepad, so I had to use an Xbox 360 controller emulator then choose Xbox controller default in the game. If you remap the controls it still crashes though. Also the mouse pointer has some sort of fit if you pause the game and try to pick the various options (to quit, for instance), works OK with the arrow keys though.

Last edited:
Hi,

Game is now 5 euro for PS3 in PS Store.
I still play NFS Shift from time to time, but did not like Shift 2 that much (controller lag)

So should I buy this game? Graphics worse than Shift?
Will it work OK with the PS3 dual shock controller?

Thanks!

This game is based on First Shift engine. And it is closer to Shift 1 rather than Shift Unleashed.

Graphics is far much better than in both Shift games. Games also works with DS3.

Am i the only one who really enjoyed this game?? :lol: I had great time racing with old Ferrari on Nordschleife and on old Spa Francorchamps race tracks.

Well just bought it a few hours ago (5 euro PSN) and I like it on the PS3. (deal ends today)
Sounds are good, only AI sound is too low when you behind/pass them.
Graphics are OK, but NFS Shift looks better. This game has a lot more pop-ups.
Do love the F1-87, F1-90 and the F333 SP! Finally can race these cars at Mugello now :)

I'm slightly annoyed with myself for not seeing this earlier so I could have got PS3 version. At least PC version is still on offer so I will get that, hopefully PS3 version comes back on offer one day.

I'm slightly annoyed with myself for not seeing this earlier so I could have got PS3 version. At least PC version is still on offer so I will get that, hopefully PS3 version comes back on offer one day.

Try looking on the ps store, that's were I brought it a while ago. It still should be there.

Well must say I do like the game! The F1-90 at Mugello......WoW. Using DS3 and played around with the settings, now it really drives good! Great fun!!

Getting the Fanatec Clubsport shifter I decided to dust this off again!

I was afraid finding myself insane for enjoying it so much the first time around. I got through modern and silver age career. I lost my save game for some reason but little harm done since I could continue on modern age anyway. I suppose there is a cheat that unlocks everything when time comes unless.

Anyway to unlock cars do you need to meet secondary objectives or win on hard or does that not matter just enough meating the minimum objectives? I don´t quite recall how it was. I will probably end up aiming to complete all challenges on hard on modern age.

Sad to see the bugs on PC has not been resolved. On some occasions on restart I loose all control of the wheel and the car go full throttle and have to shut down the game through ctrl-alt-del. But can live with that.

Playing on Hard and completing all objectives unlocks all cars and tracks. This is the only thing that pushes career forward.

I start from the oldest era and then end with modern. Can't see really how could it be different. And i had so much fun with back stories, why this race is happening and why i'm testing old F1 cars.

Some races were tough but lucky i had experience from Shift games so wasn't that hard after all. Good luck with going to the end. Platinum trophy is a reward, only one i think since online leader-board is corrupted.

I have a trouble with the short loading times. I dont always get time to read what I am supposed to do and why I just want to keep the race flow going :)

I don´t have a problem with hard so far. Some races been to easy but I did have to run the green hell three times to get that 2.25. I got a 2.25,1 and 2.25.5 before but I do know that track quite well by this time.

I am currently at a F333SP race at Imola supposed to overtake all cars in three laps. But when I get to the finish line on first lap I get a to slow? Do I really need to overtake one car on the outlap alone??? I don´t see how I could make 6 seconds on the last sector of Imola I take a couple of seconds and think I do a decent job...

Restart fixed it. Game is buggy that´s for sure...

Is the tire wear programmed or real btw? Had a 10 lap race at hockenheim that got a hot lap session very quick. May be due to fuel balance as well but last laps was hell and I won by only 5 seconds after numerous 360s me not accepting the new balance.

Last edited:
Yes Tire wear is there, the most visible for me would be F333SP race on Road America. After like 6 laps of mine driving tires were gone with all my advantage. I repeat that entire race like 6 times before i learn how to save tires. Challenging but rewarding.

Question is if it matter how you drive or they just change the grip levels. I wonder if this game don´t sell me Ferraris better then Assetto Corsa does. I am not arguing that AC have better physics but I really enjoy the simcade physics of Ferrari legends. Car has weight and suspension. To bad the steering is not spot on a bit gamepad damaged but seriously it make the ferraris behave more like I want them. To easy to get massive understeer you can´t get out of in AC ;)
Yes Tire wear is there, the most visible for me would be F333SP race on Road America. After like 6 laps of mine driving tires were gone with all my advantage. I repeat that entire race like 6 times before i learn how to save tires. Challenging but rewarding.

hmm wonder if I have that race now. Endurance race done 43 of 50 laps obviously start on worn tires and I am loosing spots rather then taking spots. Need to redo my driving I generally go for the super aggressive take advantage of you can powerslide for all eternity and still steer in physics but here it just get to much sliding.

Tried easy but there is no change whatsoever in the AI strength from what I can tell???

Changing driving model from pro to standard certainly seem to help with the tire wear. But maybe there is no tire wear in standard mode and it´s not just the TC and abs that counteract it?

Last edited:
Tried easy but there is no change whatsoever in the AI strength from what I can tell???

Changing driving model from pro to standard certainly seem to help with the tire wear. But maybe there is no tire wear in standard mode and it´s not just the TC and abs that counteract it?

Tyre wear and mechanical damage are definitely off on Standard mode, the real difference between Pro and Standard is how heavily assisted the steering is for gamepads, of course, with the effects of TC and ABS you do get more understeer and your braking distances are extended but you can still make the car slide easily.

This game doesn't work as good as Shift with a gamepad though, the input lag is very noticeable and the steering aid is too intrusive and it's badly programmed, instead of a gradually steer the car on it's own to help you, it almost swerves from side to side when you are trying to be precise and not go from lock to lock with the analog sticks. Let's say you are trying to go around turn 1 on Imola (old one, that really open left-hander), you don't full lock to make it around the corner, so you only use 20% of the total travel of the stick, the game responds accurately and you the car reacts the way you want it too but then somehow the game thinks 20% isn't enough so the steering aid comes in and moves the steering wheel back and forth. Slight movements but big enough to even see them on the steering animation, so then you try to compensate and of course, the car becomes unbalanced and it feels weird, the car goes around the corner nicely but with unnecessary drama.

This is on Pro, F1 cars are pretty much undriveable because of this, other cars are too loose on the rear and other understeer way too much, the only cars that are somewhat enjoyable are the 360 Challenge, F40 and F50 GT, all of which are available in FM4 which renders this game useless for me. I don't really mind the slidey physics but the steering aid ruins it completely, it could've been much better if we were able to turn aids off individually.

Insidesimracing's review sums it up pretty well.

I only run wheel for pure racing titles gamepad is always undriveable to me. So hard having fun :(.

As for ISR review they are both right and wrong. The real shame of this game is that it never got patched so you still have to live with the game crashing every now and then. For some racing the crash rate is more then 50 % but generally you do make races on first try.

But it´s a nice title for what it´s that it´s so unstable is really my only huge gripe with it.

I still managed to complete the game well over a year ago, if it was too terrible, I wouldn't have bothered, I just wish the game wasn't forgotten into the abyss pretty much since it was released.

I bought the game on PS3 around release for $50, was very disappointed, and took it back for a full refund.
I recently re-bought the game for $10 and thought it was okay, the main problem being the massively inconsistent difficulty, where you'd be asked to post really fast lap times for qualifying, and in the main race you could overtake the whole pack on the second corner and win by 40 seconds. :indiff:
And then comes the mission "Debris Avoidance", where I must use my DS3 to manoeuvre a watermelon Ferrari 166 Inter (the worst handling car I have ever driven in any game) through oddly placed hay bales at Monza at a consistently high speed. The main problem is that it feels as if there is a half second input lag, and any attempts to counter steer or drive through a chicane just point my car in the wrong direction. :mad:

I feel you, that thing can't make it around a chicane and it gets worse when you have to do the same with some higher end cars.

The modern F1 races are by far the worst, AI cars going through corners at unrealistic speeds while you slide all over the place trying not to hit one of them because if you do, the wonky physics will act against you and spin you, flip you, etc.

Then there's F333SP endurance races where the car becomes undriveable towards the end while AI cars just keep going like tyre wear does not affect them.

I used Wheel in this game and it was excellent. Those missions you taking with wheel were pure fun. Well maybe not F333SP Road America race where i had to save tires in the early time of entire endurance race so they could last until last corner. This was nightmare but entire game with Wheel is just amazing. Trust me on this i know. I love Both Shift games too.

Back