The Elder Scrolls Online

I am very interested in this for the X1 depending if it has a monthly fee. A Skyrim style online co-op would be amazing. Hopefully there is no monthly fee. Maybe it will have some sort of deal where you can pay for hours in advance. Something like that would work perfect for people that are not able to play all the time.

Last edited:
I am very interested in this for the X1 depending if it has a monthly fee. A Skyrim style online co-op would be amazing. Hopefully there is no monthly fee. Maybe it will have some sort of deal where you can pay for hours in advance. Something like that would work perfect for people that are not able to play all the time.

There is a monthly fee, no getting around that I guess. You buy the game and will get 1 month subscription free, then you have to play for the further sub. Not only that but if you want to pay as an Imperial you have to pay extra, they have taken it out of the game and put it into the collectors edition, or it will be available on their online shop.

Sounds like a whole bunch of greedy to me, I can't see how this game is going to be popular with this pricing.

There is a monthly fee, no getting around that I guess. You buy the game and will get 1 month subscription free, then you have to play for the further sub. Not only that but if you want to pay as an Imperial you have to pay extra, they have taken it out of the game and put it into the collectors edition, or it will be available on their online shop.

Sounds like a whole bunch of greedy to me, I can't see how this game is going to be popular with this pricing.
That doesn't sound too good at all. Hopefully they will listen to the community feedback and make some changes for the console versions.

You can get beta keys right now at curse.com and play it this weekend. I got my beta emailed to me from Bethesda and it listed that we page as a place to get them.

That doesn't sound too good at all. Hopefully they will listen to the community feedback and make some changes for the console versions.

What kind of changes? More to the point, why would they change the console versions? That would be like admitting that the subscription fees/microtransactions were unreasonable.

What kind of changes? More to the point, why would they change the console versions? That would be like admitting that the subscription fees/microtransactions were unreasonable.

Games change ALL the time depending on community feedback. Anything is possible especially since the console version doesn't launch for quite a few more months.

Games change ALL the time depending on community feedback. Anything is possible especially since the console version doesn't launch for quite a few more months.

I asked what kind of changes.

I asked what kind of changes.
No monthly fee. But it sounds like this is something that wont change, not even on the console version. That's too bad.

Would be nice if they had hours we could purchase or something similar to that. That way we can just play when we want without a monthly subscription.

I'd rather have a complete game experience with a monthly subscription without being forced into a "pay to compete" route that Free to play has. They could not change the nature of the game at this late stage to that model anyway.

The best way to me is Guild Wars 1/2. You buy the game up front and then buy new content as it becomes available otherwise no cost to play except your broadband charge.

Which ever way you slice it someone, and that mean us, has to pay for the servers we all play on.

No monthly fee. But it sounds like this is something that wont change, not even on the console version. That's too bad.

Free to play is a possibility. However, if it does go free to play, it won't be exclusive to or because of the consoles.

Would be nice if they had hours we could purchase or something similar to that. That way we can just play when we want without a monthly subscription.

It would depend on how many hours you get and for what price. MMO's typically include plentiful grinding and some fairly long quests. Imagine you're in the middle of a long quest with your friends only for the game to stop and say "If you'd like to continue playing, please buy more credits".

I'd rather have a complete game experience with a monthly subscription without being forced into a "pay to compete" route that Free to play has. They could not change the nature of the game at this late stage to that model anyway.

They're going to test the water. If the numbers aren't good, they'll introduce free to play or reduce subscription fees. I might give it a go if they lower it to £5 a month or less. I do think they're being incredibly stingy only giving one "free" month with the boxed copy. I've not played a lot of MMO's, but I'm sure boxed copies of WoW came with a three month sub.

World of Warcraft came with 1 month, they also had a 10 day (i think) free trial, so you could get 40 days if you signed up to their free trial and then purchased the game to upgrade your account.

You can get beta keys right now at curse.com and play it this weekend. I got my beta emailed to me from Bethesda and it listed that we page as a place to get them.

I've got a curse account, it sais I'm not eligible as I don't have a premium account (paid subscription to their premium services). I have signed up for beta on the ESO website though. I'm interested in giving it a try but I honestly can't see me buying it. The fact that they have taken the Imperial race and put it into the collectors edition is very annoying to me... I'm against the idea of game companies chopping away bits of a game and then selling them seperate.

We'll see I guess.

World of Warcraft came with 1 month, they also had a 10 day (i think) free trial, so you could get 40 days if you signed up to their free trial and then purchased the game to upgrade your account.

I stand corrected.

I too got an invitation to play in a sort of record-breaking event this weekend. I'll download it just to try it out, I was interested in the game until they announced the pre order and CE "bonuses".

Cost prohibits me playing this game. With work I only get about 4 to 6 hours a week gaming at the moment and I'm still playing GT6 and just got Tomb Raider for the PS4 so I don't think paying a subscription will encourage me to get the game.

If it's get cheap enough and the reviews are solid then I might give it a try. I may even wait to see what the PS4 version is like.

Awesome game.
I'm definitely dropping my WOW sub and picking up this game.
It's easily worth the money as long as the end game is up to par. So far in this beta I haven't had much bug trouble but the combat and environments are incredible. The story is way more epic than most games ever get to in their end-game content (and I'm only level 7).

This game is shaping up to be incredible. 👍
If you can get in on the beta I strongly suggest you do.

Everything about it is next gen compared to all the other MMOs out there.
Looks like a solid ps3 game on my PC... MY PC!
I'm running a 4 year old quad core processor from intel (bought it about a year before those i3/i5/i7 chips came out).
6gb of ddr2 and a Raedeon 6770 video card.
Looks great, plays well.

Considering I'd pay 60 bucks for a new game on most consoles, and considering Blizzard is looking for $40 on WOW and Diablo Expansions, I'm totally going over to ESO until something causes me to change my mind and at this point it doesn't look like much will be able to do that.

Seriously, based on the beta...
Currently I give the game a 7/10.
Just a couple of minor complaints (no mini map, semi-buggy interface is specific areas)...

Once bugs are worked out this game will be a solid 9/10 to 10/10.
Easily the best MMO-RPG I've had my hands on (so far :sly: )... Give it some time to cement that rating. :D

I have to say I felt completely underwhelmed with it, I felt like the game was being inconvenienced by the fact that it was an MMO game and that took away from it being en Elder Scrolls game. If I was to rate things seperately.

Combat : It's like Elder Scrolls combat without any weight to it, partly due to the lack of a collisions system and partly due to the weird hit boxes, it's trying to be like Elder Scrolls while using a different system and it's really noticeable to me. On top of that you have your typical MMO style abilities to press... It's not that I dislike the combat it's just it feels like a strange mashup of generic MMO meets Elder Scrolls and the Elder Scrolls part is nothing on the quality and feel of the combat in Skyrim.

Animations : Elder Scrolls have never been good at this but when they have designed the game around 3rd person (though 1st person is there too) it looks a bit clumsy to me. Using the ability bar attacks the game can be compared to Guild Wars 2 (which has a similar system) but Guild Wars 2 does have better animations and a more meatier feeling combat.

Graphics : The game generally looks quite great (though still not as good as Skyrim did) and I don't have many complaints, it's definitely one of the best (if not the) looking MMO games out there. In first person view I find the textures are too low res and when playing from that viewpoint it makes the graphics look a lot worse, for example walking up to and looking at a sheet of paper with ink on it, and it just looks like a paper shaped blob on the table with ink shaped blobs. Also the moving water looks quite bad, waterfalls and similar features look really dated despite the fact that the static water looks really good.

Questing : It's pretty generic MMO, very directed questing in zones full of other people with lots of monsters standing around waiting for someone to enter their attack range box. The intro tutorial was a massive borefest for me and the following 2 islands weren't all that exciting to me either, nothing of particular note happens, nothing exciting. When you play Skyrim you get attacked by a big ass Dragon at the start of the game... Stuff happens at close enough intervals, where as in TESO I played for a good 5 hours and did mostly menial tasks.

Character customisation is probably the best out there, it's easy to make a really good looking character with a lot of control over it, similar to most Elder Scrolls games in that respect. The sounds and music were pretty good too and the voice acting was pretty decent.

But overall I had a feeling of boredum throughout most of my playing, I went back to try out Skyrim after it and I had a lot more fun. Sadly The Elder Scrolls Online is more of an Elder Scrolls themed MMO than an Elder Scrolls game online... It innovates in no areas, it doesn't bring anything new to the table that you can experience in the first 10 levels of play. Aside from the fact that it's all voice acted I found the first view hours less well designed and entertaining than World of Warcraft's newer starting zones, which are highly detailed adventures and journeys moulding you into your player race choice. Same for Star Wars : The Old Republic, the starting zone really pulls you into a great story surrounding your class that hooks you into the game for the first 10 levels.

Safe to say I probably won't be buying it, if you throw in the controversy around the collectors edition (forcing people to buy the collectors to have the full game), and the fact that pre-orders come with a bonus allowing you to use any race with any faction... and the fact that these extras will be available from an online shop despite the fact that you're paying a subscription to avoid this... Leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth.

Stick with Skyrim.
Don't bother trying Online again.

While I felt like the combat was innovative and tactical compared to MMO gameplay you were disappointed.

While you felt like animations were clumsy, I felt like it was active and engaging. There was never a fight ahead of me that I didn't want to be in despite the fact I knew I wouldn't (or thought I wouldn't) get experience or loot.

While you felt the graphics were low res I didn't notice simply because I didn't play first person. :( :P :lol: :indiff:
I'll check it out in the morning.
Otherwise, in third person, the graphics were way better and ran far smoother on my pc (6gb ddr2, 6770 video card, etc... mentioned earlier). The graphics look like a proper next gen game and far, FAR outclassed any other MMO on the market.

Questing... I can't complain about questing.
I made it to level 10 and saw epic main story more than once.
Other MMOs don't introduce main story line until you are max level or max level of previous expansions. This game is pushing a story that is genuienly worthy of being a main story even though it is putting the player in long before max level. I was happy to listen to the story of how the covenant was broken and play on waiting for another chance at the main story line questing (which they distinguish in the quest log, another trick I've not seen before in my MMO expreinces).

I agree, character customization is incredible. Gotta see it to understand but it is awesome. 👍

However, comparing it to SW:TOR or WoW is insane.
Especially the first 10 levels.
Not only is ESO far, FAR better than either, it is far more innovative than either.

Combat is active and tactical, story is more direct and approachable, GRAPHICS are up to par, and the overall package as a BETA is better than either of those big players (as a final product).

In wow you can click one time (target) another player and spam your spell (likewise for starwars), not so here.

This game isn't one where you can find the safe spot and spam your attack. Instead you have to approach, attack, actively dodge, then apply a strategy based on your talents.

This game is 3 times the game SW:TOR or WOW could ever hope to be.
I genuinely liked both of them but they are no contest compared to ESO.

To continue this discussion in a more private and one on one...
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/crushridge/Hospitaller/simple
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/crushridge/Undeadkent/simple
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/sargeras/Lichwitch/simple

Find me on the server (Sargeras is my more active server).

While I understand some people might not be impressed, I am seriously dropping my WoW sub and moving to this game the moment it is released.

As for the price. :lol:
Pay for special edition and get special perks, ZOMG WTF, I can't believe it.

Pay for the normal game, 60 bucks, you get a fully superior game to WoW or any MMO meanwhile WoW is asking for 40 dollars for a lack-luster expansion based on a 10 year old game build.
Star wars isn't even a player in the MMO world at this point and is no more than a 2 month long memory us MMO players get to recall as an actual let down.

Last edited:
Stick with Skyrim.
Don't bother trying Online again.

While I felt like the combat was innovative and tactical compared to MMO gameplay you were disappointed.

While you felt like animations were clumsy, I felt like it was active and engaging. There was never a fight ahead of me that I didn't want to be in despite the fact I knew I wouldn't (or thought I wouldn't) get experience or loot.

While you felt the graphics were low res I didn't notice simply because I didn't play first person. :( :P :lol: :indiff:
I'll check it out in the morning.
Otherwise, in third person, the graphics were way better and ran far smoother on my pc (6gb ddr2, 6770 video card, etc... mentioned earlier). The graphics look like a proper next gen game and far, FAR outclassed any other MMO on the market.

Questing... I can't complain about questing.
I made it to level 10 and saw epic main story more than once.
Other MMOs don't introduce main story line until you are max level or max level of previous expansions. This game is pushing a story that is genuienly worthy of being a main story even though it is putting the player in long before max level. I was happy to listen to the story of how the covenant was broken and play on waiting for another chance at the main story line questing (which they distinguish in the quest log, another trick I've not seen before in my MMO expreinces).

I agree, character customization is incredible. Gotta see it to understand but it is awesome. 👍

However, comparing it to SW:TOR or WoW is insane.
Especially the first 10 levels.
Not only is ESO far, FAR better than either, it is far more innovative than either.

Combat is active and tactical, story is more direct and approachable, GRAPHICS are up to par, and the overall package as a BETA is better than either of those big players (as a final product).

In wow you can click one time (target) another player and spam your spell (likewise for starwars), not so here.

This game isn't one where you can find the safe spot and spam your attack. Instead you have to approach, attack, actively dodge, then apply a strategy based on your talents.

This game is 3 times the game SW:TOR or WOW could ever hope to be.
I genuinely liked both of them but they are no contest compared to ESO.

To continue this discussion in a more private and one on one...
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/crushridge/Hospitaller/simple
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/crushridge/Undeadkent/simple
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/sargeras/Lichwitch/simple

Find me on the server (Sargeras is my more active server).

While I understand some people might not be impressed, I am seriously dropping my WoW sub and moving to this game to moment it is released.

As for the price. :lol:
Pay for special edition and get special perks, ZOMG WTF, I can't believe it.

Pay for the normal game, 60 bucks, you get a fully superior game to WoW or any MMO meanwhile WoW is asking for 40 dollars for a lack-luster expansion based on a 10 year old game build.
Star wars isn't even a player in the MMO world at this point and is no more than a 2 month long memory us MMO players get to recall as an actual let down.

I haven't been playing any MMO games for quite a while, and even if I had an active WoW subscription I play on EU servers! Personally I thought the questline was extremely boring if you compare the intro to Skyrim. If you compare to the newer World of Warcraft start zones for example the Goblin where you go on an epic journey to rob a bank for money to pay for a ship off the island, one that has been priced too high for anyone to ever afford. Then you get attacked by a dragon and then escape an exploding volcano island on ship, enslaved by the ruler of your people and locked away under the deck of the ship.. Before then getting caught up in a battle between the Alliance and Horde which results in your ship being wrecked and many of your people drowning.

You get rescued and then help rescue others from the water before washing ashore on an unknown tropical island, amidst a battle between Horde and Alliance where the former Warchief has been kidnapped by the alliance, and in exchange for their help you join in the cause to rescue the Warchief from the Alliance Warship... before eventually taking the fight to your own former leader for the crimes he committed against his people.

All in the first 10 levels, all within 2-3 hours. World of Warcraft may be dated but there is a reason it's so succesful, the Elder Scrolls Online intro was hardly a scratch on that quality of storyline or action, and I felt half the time we're turning up at a situation after the action has already happened, and you're there to clean up..... "oh the battle was so epic, we got slaughtered"... Well damn **** why do I have to hear about epic things happening and not experience them myself?

Regarding the Action based combat, it would be alright if it wasn't worse than Skyrims but it is, the other side of the combat with the action bars is more in line with what Guild Wars 2 has done, but with weaker animations. And really the game TERA which is free to play has set such a high standard for action based MMO combat that it's hard to accept anything less. The World of Warcraft style of combat is what it is, but it's also tactical, you can only target 1 target at a time but you can attack many at a time, in some cases infinite so long as the targets exist, it's also very tactical and that is why you see such a massive variance in skill level between players, class mastery is an art that not many people succeed at. Still it is a style of the old type of MMO and new MMO's should be looking to go for action based combat, I think TERA did an amazing job at it, but I also think there is a way to go and to me Elder Scrolls hasn't really nailed it...

For what it's worth this is my WoW character - http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/hellscream/Bigbazz/simple - I've not much interest in WoW these days and have not played it seriously for years, I'm far from a biased person as the last game I want to play is another WoW style MMO. Elder Scrolls is nothing like WoW and that is a good thing, but it does so many things in such a generic way that has been done so many times before... I'm frustrated that MMO titles have to be stuck in this rut.

The only game going for true innovation is Everquest Next, who seems to have taken Minecraft, a quality action based combat system (similar to but even more impressive than TERA) and a sort of parkour freerunning movement system and created a multi-level world for an MMO game. I wasn't looking for true innovation with ESO though, to be honest I was looking for Skyrim multiplayer, and it's so far from that.

Last edited:
Skyrim multiplayer is impossible.
You just can't have the immersion and combat of skyrim on an active, live server while other players are there, the same goes for combat since you can't pause the game and spend your time preparing your load-out for the next dragon.

I understand what you mean regarding the various content of your post but I also disagree about starting areas and the depth of story in wow... Robbing banks, flying through 10 levels in 3 hours, and never having a hint of end game content doesn't do it for me. I play these games for the epic story lines and wow just doesn't do that, ESO has touched on that but so farwe are only getting a small sample of what's to come.

I know ESO isn't going to live up to the expectations created by Skyrim but coming from WoW and TOR, I'm confident ESO will deliver a better overall experience.

I don't think it's impossible, difficult yes but I'm pretty sure some company is going to show us just how not impossible it is within the next few years. Most MMO companies would rather stay on the side of caution and don't take too many risks, which is why the genre is so slow moving.

I've played up to level 8 on TESO now, which takes quite some time. I think it improves a lot after level 5 ish (or when you go to Daggerfall (Redguard) for example. Still I didn't like the quests where you're running around fighting over quest items with 20 other people, even WoW has gone to lengths to reduce time standing around on the spot waiting for quest spawns that you share with others... it's a thing of the past in the genre but its still there in TESO and it's pretty damn annoying.

Other than that I gave up due to a few quests being bugged on the Beta stopping me from going further. I may give the next beta weekend a go to see if things have improved but I very much doubt I'l buy the game, if it was a buy to play game like Guild Wars 2 I would, but a subscription is asking a lot, from my perspective anyway. The next MMO for me now will probably be the next World of Warcraft expansion, I won't play it seriously but I'l play it for a month or so to see all the new content and then leave it until the end of the expansion for the rest (same as I did in MOP.. and to an extent Cataclysm).

We see things differently (obviously).
While I feel like a purchase and sub for this game isn't asking much, I feel like a purchase and sub for the next wow expansion is asking way too much.
The game is ancient and nothing they do changes that, while it does have redeeming qualities, I don't see it be anywhere near the value of ESO.
Currently I've played each class a little bit but my main in this beta has been a Shadowblade currently level 11 and just short of 12. I ran the dungeon Fungal Grotto and found it enjoyable but there is one complaint... The pulls on trash mobs are ridiculous, pretty much any way you pull the entire room comes with the first mob (not cool).

Otherwise, I'd say the game is worth it. 👍

Considering it's only 20 dollars more than the wow expansion, far prettier, and the combat is far more engaging, I have no doubt I will buy the game and pay for a subscription for at least the time it takes to hit max level and see some real end game content. :D

Have to say I have mixed feelings about ESO. Skyrim makes me think ESO could be the greatest thing since sliced bread. However, given they want $225 for the first year and $180 a year after that, it had better be incredibly good!

So far I have been unable to get the beta to run, and the ESO support people have been useless.

I have a 27" iMac with three monitors, a serious CPU and GPU, SSD+HDD and 32 GBs of RAM, so I'm looking forward to a good experience. However, the first invitation to beta directed me to a Windows download. The second one allowed me to download a Mac version, but it wouldn't instal. Said it needed 30 GBs of disk space, which was a joke since I had about a terabyte free including 60GBs on the SSD.

Eventually the support people got back to me (some days after the beta window closed) and asked me to go through some Windows procedures to fix the issue and to make sure I had 30 to 60 GBs free. Getting them to understand "Mac" and that I have bucket loads of free disk space is a challenge.

If this is the kind of support I can expect for the retail version, then I'm not up for paying a subscription at any price.

However, if they get the support side fixed up, I would be happy to pay up to $5 a month assuming the game is good.

Latest Posts

Back