The Thrustmaster T500RS Thread

• Thread starter TomN
  • 9,924 comments
My original order still has "Status: Routed" but I placed that over 4 hours ago, with standard shipping. It seems they are not accepting anymore for sure, I tried to place another order with next day shipping just a bit ago and it canceled it shortly after.

No cancellation for my first order, but I am worried they won't ship it. I misread the email about the shipping date. I'm afraid I will be told there's none left in 3 days, or something like that. I saw some older forum posts about other products from Micro Center that claimed that had happened and they never got anything.

Your order has been cancelled due to product unavailability.

Ah, I see. Online customer service chat is telling me this sale is verified and legitimate. My order says routed(not cancelled) but I was probably one of the first ones in. I think this is just a case of not having stock rather than a pricing error.

Ah, I see. Online customer service chat is telling me this sale is verified and legitimate. My order says routed(not cancelled) but I was probably one of the first ones in. I think this is just a case of not having stock rather than a pricing error.

Really? What is the status of your order under billing history?

Edit: It looks like people who placed in store pickup orders have been successful in purchasing the wheel.

My order still says routed. Choose next day shipping (since it was only 11 dollars). Ordered almost as soon as the link was posted in this thread (and I'm pretty sure this is where the link originated). Original e-mail said estimated ship date of the 5th.

Edit: It looks like people who placed in store pickup orders have been successful in purchasing the wheel.

I thought of that. I went back to their site and tried to place an order with store pick-up as there are 2 stores within an hour drive of me, but they showed 0 in stock at both places and wouldn't let me place an order. Just for the hell of it, I tried other cities and most of the others I tried were out of stock. However, the store in Denver did show 1 in stock and would've let me place an order for it if I had wanted to. Since Denver is a pretty fair drive from where I live in Georgia, I didn't complete the order. :lol: If you do live in Denver, it might be worth the try.

Last edited:

I placed two orders. My first was with standard shipping which I got a confirmation email and order status says routed. My second was in-store pickup(just in case) but it was just cancelled via email.

I placed two orders. My first was with standard shipping which I got a confirmation email and order status says routed. My second was in-store pickup(just in case) but it was just cancelled via email.

Oh wow, that's interesting. Hopefully your order goes through and you receive a lovely T500RS. Good luck!

Update.

Order two wheels for in store pick up. Got both when I arrived. Some other guy reserved ALL the other wheels they had in stock, 12 wheels.

After confirmation that I won't be able to use my Fanatec with the XBOne and then recent confirmation that the T500RS has simply been rebranded to GT6 without any internal changes, I couldn't resist. I grabbed a T500RS yesterday. My PC rig gets upgraded (I'll leave the G25 wheel, switch to my Fanatec Clubsport pedals) and my PS3 rig is now Thrustmaster.

First impressions (after running GT5 for the last two years with a Fanatec GT2 and CSP):
- The paddles hit you first. I had no problem whatsoever adapting to static paddles, but I am hugely impressed by the feel. They are seriously better than G25 or Fanatec GT2 paddles, I just love the meaty thunk.
- Next up is the rim. One of the reasons I eventually gave up on the GT2 wheel is that I could never find a really comfortable hand position, since the Fanatec Porsche wheel rims are quite thick and have a very large horizontal beam. In that respect the G25 and T500RS are better for me, with thinner horizontal beams around the 3/9 position and thinner rims.
- Pedals... well the T500RS pedals are clearly better than the G25 ones (more weight, more smoothness, very comfortable to use), but they don't quite reach the quality of the Clubsports. I quite like the longer throw on the Clubsports and the brake is the main differentiator: I was finding in GT5 that my braking feel needed recalibrating since that ABS rumble motor really made judging no-ABS braking very very easy. Still, I have been mixing up CSP and G25 pedal use for ages, I know I can adjust easily enough.
- FFB. The first things you feel are how smooth and powerful it is. For me the key improvement is how the motor gets out of the way and does it's thing. For holding slides and oversteer I found it a lot more natural. The difference was very large coming from the Fanatec Porsche wheel where I needed to set maximum drift mode and minimum spring/damping on wheel but still found it too damped.
After some more time with the wheel I came to the conclusion that I could feel the differences between individual cars much better (wheel weight, suspension feel) and that I was aiming cars more accurately (even compared to the belt-driven GT2 wheel). I guess this is all related to more subtle effects coming through because the T500RS is less damped and has a much lighter rim than the Fanatec.
One "drawback" of the T500RS compared to the Fanatec is that there is clearly some notchiness on the T500RS (tooth-based belt versus smooth belt). I understand from reviews that this will grow less as the belt wears in, so I'm not concerned. It is definitely easy to feel, though nowhere near the level of notchiness from a cog-based G25.

At some point I'll lug my PC around the house and try pCARS and AC with the T500RS, but for now I'm just really looking forward to GT6 with the new wheel.

One question: When starting a race and driving along a straight, I am finding that the first time I turn there's a light internal "notch" type feel as you turn the wheel past 45 degrees (approximately), and I think I heard an associated soft click-type noise. It does this turning left or right, and I assume it's normal, but I thought I'd just check. Is this inherently related to how the dual belts work or could there potentially be something wrong?

Try bushings on the brake or Mr basher mod. I am selling my clubsport v2s because I get better brake feel with the t500rs and the throttle is more comfortable and almost as smooth. But I wonder if I ain't smoother with it as it integrate better with my foot.

One question: When starting a race and driving along a straight, I am finding that the first time I turn there's a light internal "notch" type feel as you turn the wheel past 45 degrees (approximately), and I think I heard an associated soft click-type noise. It does this turning left or right, and I assume it's normal, but I thought I'd just check. Is this inherently related to how the dual belts work or could there potentially be something wrong?
When I`m passing the central wheel point (like for going straight) when going from left turn to right turn (or vice versa) I get this click sound too and a notch feel - it feels like one of the belt tooth is missing a little its destination place and instead of smooth going straight in, it jumps there. Is it the same for you?

When I`m passing the central wheel point (like for going straight) when going from left turn to right turn (or vice versa) I get this click sound too and a notch feel - it feels like one of the belt tooth is missing a little its destination place and instead of smooth going straight in, it jumps there. Is it the same for you?
yeah, that sounds like we're talking about the same thing. Has yours always done this since new as well?
It's not exactly a problem, and as long as I know it's normal I can live with it fine....

After confirmation that I won't be able to use my Fanatec with the XBOne and then recent confirmation that the T500RS has simply been rebranded to GT6 without any internal changes, I couldn't resist. I grabbed a T500RS yesterday. My PC rig gets upgraded (I'll leave the G25 wheel, switch to my Fanatec Clubsport pedals) and my PS3 rig is now Thrustmaster.

First impressions (after running GT5 for the last two years with a Fanatec GT2 and CSP):
- The paddles hit you first. I had no problem whatsoever adapting to static paddles, but I am hugely impressed by the feel. They are seriously better than G25 or Fanatec GT2 paddles, I just love the meaty thunk.
- Next up is the rim. One of the reasons I eventually gave up on the GT2 wheel is that I could never find a really comfortable hand position, since the Fanatec Porsche wheel rims are quite thick and have a very large horizontal beam. In that respect the G25 and T500RS are better for me, with thinner horizontal beams around the 3/9 position and thinner rims.
- Pedals... well the T500RS pedals are clearly better than the G25 ones (more weight, more smoothness, very comfortable to use), but they don't quite reach the quality of the Clubsports. I quite like the longer throw on the Clubsports and the brake is the main differentiator: I was finding in GT5 that my braking feel needed recalibrating since that ABS rumble motor really made judging no-ABS braking very very easy. Still, I have been mixing up CSP and G25 pedal use for ages, I know I can adjust easily enough.
- FFB. The first things you feel are how smooth and powerful it is. For me the key improvement is how the motor gets out of the way and does it's thing. For holding slides and oversteer I found it a lot more natural. The difference was very large coming from the Fanatec Porsche wheel where I needed to set maximum drift mode and minimum spring/damping on wheel but still found it too damped.
After some more time with the wheel I came to the conclusion that I could feel the differences between individual cars much better (wheel weight, suspension feel) and that I was aiming cars more accurately (even compared to the belt-driven GT2 wheel). I guess this is all related to more subtle effects coming through because the T500RS is less damped and has a much lighter rim than the Fanatec.
One "drawback" of the T500RS compared to the Fanatec is that there is clearly some notchiness on the T500RS (tooth-based belt versus smooth belt). I understand from reviews that this will grow less as the belt wears in, so I'm not concerned. It is definitely easy to feel, though nowhere near the level of notchiness from a cog-based G25.

At some point I'll lug my PC around the house and try pCARS and AC with the T500RS, but for now I'm just really looking forward to GT6 with the new wheel.

#1) As has already been pointed out, at least upgrade the brakes to the basher mod. For about 10 dollars, it'll improve the brakes 500 percent. I think they're actually quite excellent with this mod. If you want an even better feel/bling, also add:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0023E9DN6/?tag=gtplanet-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0023E0SHG/?tag=gtplanet-20

#2) As for the "notch", I believe this is extremely common. Mine originally had it too. When it sits it one position in the warehouse, it kind of gets a kink in the belt. If you use it regularly, you'll find it'll quickly disappear.

Does the wheel stand pro allow you to reverse your pedals with the T500? If not, are there any other wheel stands that accommodate for this? Thanks.

That was a warranty replacement, though. Have you seen the box of a new wheel?
I doubt they produce different Wheel bases for Complete sets and warrenty issues! My brand new base came in a Brown box, with a White box that had the Wheel inside, no version printing on either boxes or the sticker with serial number. Also i belive other members here have reported the loss of version numbers printed, and heard of peoble reciving Wheel sets with one number on outer Brown box, and another number on the base.

@soap_hand : The WSP does not come with GT pedal option, but it should be fairly easy to make 2 new brackets and reverse Mount them. Or Mount them as this guy did: http://insidesimracing.tv/forums/topic/7483-rally-style-t500rs-on-wheel-stand-pro/

Thanks guys for replies. What is deal with "realistic brake pedal mod"? Apparently it is included with T500 box?

Via Thrustmaster website: Brake pedal with reinforced and adjustable resistance (included and removable “Realistic Brake” mod)

Is it easy to install? No voiding warranty I assume. Do most people use it?

I use it and swear by it. When you install it you can choose how hard to make it and adjust the throw. It doesn't effect the warranty.

Got an e-mail from Microcenter stating it's shipped. Went with next day delivery, so it should arrive tomorrow:)

Thanks guys for replies. What is deal with "realistic brake pedal mod"? Apparently it is included with T500 box?

Via Thrustmaster website: Brake pedal with reinforced and adjustable resistance (included and removable “Realistic Brake” mod)

Is it easy to install? No voiding warranty I assume. Do most people use it?

It's okay, but if you use skateboard bushings or bashers mod, it takes things to another level. Seriously, best 10 bucks you'll spend on sim racing.

Got an e-mail from Microcenter stating it's shipped. Went with next day delivery, so it should arrive tomorrow:)

Grats, I am certainly kicking myself for not trying to Next Day it in the first place :( Hopefully they still have one for me though.

Grats, I am certainly kicking myself for not trying to Next Day it in the first place :( Hopefully they still have one for me though.

Yeah. I've learned from past debacles (HP Touchpad anyone?), that often times quickest shipping gets preferential treatment. That's why I checked next day as a lark. Was shocked when it was only 11.99 for that heavy tank. Although I was one of the first people in here to order, so I was also early.

It was handed off to Fedex at 5:32 PM eastern (Columbus, Ohio), so I'm at stage 2 of shipping and barring a complete recall, I'm safe.

Yeah. I've learned from past debacles (HP Touchpad anyone?), that often times quickest shipping gets preferential treatment. That's why I checked next day as a lark. Was shocked when it was only 11.99 for that heavy tank. Although I was one of the first people in here to order, so I was also early.

It was handed off to Fedex at 5:32 PM eastern (Columbus, Ohio), so I'm at stage 2 of shipping and barring a complete recall, I'm safe.

Hey. What exact time did you place your order yesterday? I'd just like to compare. Mine was placed at 12/2/2013 5:36:02 PM. Status is routed with normal shipping. No signs of getting cancelled just yet.

Hey. What exact time did you place your order yesterday? I'd just like to compare. Mine was placed at 12/2/2013 5:36:02 PM. Status is routed with normal shipping. No signs of getting cancelled just yet.

You're not gonna like it. 5:44PM. I really screwed around creating my Microcenter account (since i thought there were gonna be problems and I didn't want to do guest checkout. It was really slow going for a bit.)

Back