The Thrustmaster T500RS Thread

• Thread starter TomN
  • 9,924 comments
Yhea great so they made a good wheel years ago. If you really think that the F430 is a great wheel have at it. But there are much better wheels for the price around.

Take this TERRIBLE "Ferrari Wireless GT Cockpit 430 Scuderia Edition" Product they sell. It is all wireless, no force feedback, battery powered, no clutch. Absolute crap for anyone serious at all. Sure it has a great paint-job and a descent leather steering wheel...
http://www.thrustmaster.com/product.aspx?ProductID=206&PlatformID=12

Oh yhea one more thing it is only 270 degrees of rotation... LOL!!! So yhea when you see me calling the Thrustmaster wheels a joke you will know why I think so.

And guess what it features???? lol This super new top secret tech!

The:
Ultra-precise wheel with new H.E.A.R.T HallEffect AccuRate Technology™ magnetic sensor technology, featuring 12-bit precision (4096 values on the wheel’s rotation).

All this NEW technology is are magnetic potentiometers. Been around for years.

Here is a quote straight from the FREX GP site talking about their Hall-Mag Pots.... I am sure you have heard of them (Frex that is)???

Now please show me this great new wheel you speak of that Thrustmaster makes...???

Sorry but I can't be bothered to read all that. :)

EDIT: Sure they've released some BS, but they have definitely improved and are back on the right track. 👍

Sorry but I can't be bothered to read all that. :)

EDIT: Sure they've released some BS, but they have definitely improved and are back on the right track. 👍

Real nice you can't be bothered to read a paragraph of a view you do not agree with?? Lol just go kill yourself now please. I do not mean to be rude but you are with that ridiculous comment about reading. Read it and weep. It is the truth.

There is no way this wheel will be competitive or the BEST wheel with only 270 degree rotation just like every other wheel they have made. This feature alone is a huge deal breaker for people.

And why are they on the right track? Because they say so? Or you say so? The last product they released was the one I just linked too and it was absolute crap in every way I can think of. It just looks pretty.

Last edited:
Real nice you can't be bothered to read a paragraph of a view you do not agree with?? Lol just go kill yourself now please. I do not mean to be rude but you are with that ridiculous comment about reading. Read it and weep. It is the truth.

There is no way this wheel will be competitive or the BEST wheel with only 270 degree rotation just like every other wheel they have made. This feature alone is a huge deal breaker for people.

And why are they on the right track? Because they say so? Or you say so? The last product they released was the one I just linked too and it was absolute crap in every way I can think of. It just looks pretty.

I did read it, eventually :sly:.
And they have started making good quality products in the recent years. And no, this isn't me saying this, its the reviewers. And you really think they won't upgrade to 900 degrees of steering? They obviously will.
And in no way am I saying it will be the best wheel; I think it will fall in the price range of the DFGT and will be an improvement over it. Only if it comes with clutch and H-shift (and ofc 900 degrees) it could compete against the G25/G27.
Get my point? :)

For entry level racing with a steering wheel, the DFGT is not bad at all in my opinion. I picked one up a year ago along with Prologue, and have been very pleased. Yea it has a sequential shifter, but the experience is much better than playing with a pad.

In order to move to a different wheel, I would need a 6-speed shifter plus reverse and a clutch pedal like the G27. But priced at $150 +/- for me to be interested. Above that and I've got other things I'd rather buy. Plus I can always hop in my real turbo Saab with 5-speed manual transmission and go for a spirited country drive if I wanna have fun lol. :)

Could someone please explain what advantage a clutch pedal gives in the game? I don't see it - would think it would slow you down shifting. Thanks!

I did read it, eventually :sly:.
And they have started making good quality products in the recent years. And no, this isn't me saying this, its the reviewers. And you really think they won't upgrade to 900 degrees of steering? They obviously will.
And in no way am I saying it will be the best wheel; I think it will fall in the price range of the DFGT and will be an improvement over it. Only if it comes with clutch and H-shift (and ofc 900 degrees) it could compete against the G25/G27.
Get my point? :)

They obviously will upgrade to 900?? Why is that lol. Nothing to imply that all. Sorry about the argument. But I just disagree.

Hmmm...I hope this new wheel will bring the price of the Logitech G series down. Want to see a G25 or G27 around $180 regular price, which means it might go down to $150 when it's on sale...Sighhhh...

They obviously will upgrade to 900?? Why is that lol. Nothing to imply that all. Sorry about the argument. But I just disagree.

Okay maybe its not obvious but I'm pretty sure they've looked at reviews and realized that the steering angle is the main drawback of most of their steering wheels.
Surely PD won't let a 270 degrees steering wheel be the official one?

I agree with Red above me in that if it doesn't have a clutch and shifter set, It would be nigh on impossible to compare to logitech or fanatec.

Big gamble buying something like that from a company which has done very little and had very little input in this area of peripherals. I know TM has built plenty of wheels over the years but not having worked with the current features available makes it hard to go out on a limb and buy something like this. I'm still looking towards getting a G27 or GT3RS as they have their reputations for performing at the top level.

If this wheel is more than 500$ and has NO CLUTCH and poor plastic pedals im smacking someone.

A little unsettling how they give so much info about the wheel and not the rest, like Gate shifter? Sequential? switchable? Pedal tension? clutch? Pc compatible?

Just for fun I'm going to see if my Thrustmaster Nascar Pro Force Feedback wheel will work in GT5. No it didn't work in GT4 I tried.

I can only think after hearing all the complaints about the DFGT having no clutch and no H-shift pattern that Kaz maybe decided to make a change since that wheel has been out since 2007. He himself uses the DFGT in the vids but I bet at home he would like a full clutch and h-shifter if possible. Why not make one that is the official GT5 wheel/pedal/shifter combo. Make it around $200 or at least less than the G27 and you got a wheel people would spend money on.

I can only think after hearing all the complaints about the DFGT having no clutch and no H-shift pattern that Kaz maybe decided to make a change since that wheel has been out since 2007. He himself uses the DFGT in the vids but I bet at home he would like a full clutch and h-shifter if possible. Why not make one that is the official GT5 wheel/pedal/shifter combo. Make it around $200 or at least less than the G27 and you got a wheel people would spend money on.

He says he uses a dualshock at home but a wheel at work.. so yhea. At least that's what he said in that interview.

Just researched the H.E.A.R.T (HallEffect AccuRate Technology) to find out some more about it.
There is nearly no information on this technology since its new, however I have found that Thrustmaster's flagship joystick, the HOTAS WartHog, uses this technology. The Warthog is currently an unrivaled device and reviews worship its features + build quality, meaning Thrustmaster is back on good track. Hopefully the TM T500 RS will be an as good device, giving those with an outdated steering wheel (or those with none) a brand new experience.

Here's SimHQ's review of the WartHog

I said it at the Thrustmaster Preview Event at E3Expo and I’ll say it again here: “Wow!”

The Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog is a truly superb and fantastic controller. Its mechanical actions are smooth and precise, its buttons and switches have a feel of unparalleled quality, and it is a beautiful piece of hardware.

http://www.simhq.com/_technology3/technology_174a.html

So, it's clear that Thrustmaster is capable of very high end devices. Hopefully this wheel will be no different.

Thing is, if its cheaper than the G27 it will be cheaper than the G27 quality that is, and build\construction\materials.

The G27 has the best mid range FF with the helical cut gears.

So anything more sophisticated or advanced will def cost more....

Thrustmaster's Goals (http://www.thrustmaster.com/eng/companyinfos.php) are to:

* Fully exploit the possibilities offered by wireless technology,
* Benefit from the launch of next-generation game consoles.

Wireless wheel? Hope not.

Really? You have that quoted somewhere by him?

YES.

Top Gear Interview:
http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/kazunori-yamauchi-interview-gran-turismo-5?imageNo=6

How do you prefer to play Gran Turismo - steering wheel or joypad?
If you have enough space, using a steering wheel is definitely better for honing your driving skills. If you want to learn how to drive well, get a steering wheel. However, at work I play with a steering wheel but I go home and play with a joypad.

Could someone please explain what advantage a clutch pedal gives in the game? I don't see it - would think it would slow you down shifting. Thanks!

There is none. Even in Iracing paddles are faster than clutch and h shifter. Even in Forza 3 is easier to assign the clutch to a button so you can push two buttons at the same time to shift. Clutch is just for fun.

There is none. Even in Iracing paddles are faster than clutch and h shifter. Even in Forza 3 is easier to assign the clutch to a button so you can push two buttons at the same time to shift. Clutch is just for fun.

Realism perhaps??

RGTFFBclutch762x227.jpg

Product information: http://www.thrustmaster.com/product.aspx?ProductID=156

This is the wheel I seen at Fry's. My bad. I does look similar. Maybe they been listening? A more accurate DFGT thats been crossed with a G25 and made by another company?

Umm, excuse me? The G27 is smooth as butter. I can't feel a single gear in it. I get a click when shifting from left side of rotation to right side, but that's normal. (more like a solid thunk you hear when the wheel hits the lock on teh cheapo logitech wheels)

You must have either bought a faulty G27 or a used one.
It's easy for me to test my G27. My car's steering isn't anywhere near as smooth as my G27's and the car has power steering!

What's even worse is I can brake more precisely on my G27 than my real car because my G27's brake pedal is stiffer.

Seriously. The audacity some people have. . .
Nothing wrong with the wheel at all except that it isn't anywhere near the same level as the Fanatec. Test 2 others to see if it was the wheel or if that is how it's supposed to feel. All others felt the same way. G27 is gear driven and just doesn't feel as natural as belt driven wheels. I get no "clunk" feel in my real life car. All cars I've owned or driven feel closer to the Fanatec than the G27. Anyone who's had plenty of time on both will tell you the same.

Fanatec Clubsport pedals are also lightyears ahead of the "packed in" pedals that come with the G27 which is understandable. Dude if you're G27 pedals are better than the pedals in your own car you need to get that checked out. Oh the "audacity" snipe, you can save that garbage ok? F"ing people on the net these days act like they gave birth to the freaking wheel. I'm just stating what's what. If I felt the G27 was better I would have sent the Fanatec back. I still have the box around because I was looking for a reason to send it back but the more I used it the more I knew I had to keep it and I already had the G27 and the more I used it the more I felt something wasn't right. Only reason why I kept the G27 as a back up since I only paid a 149.99 when Best Buy had that big sale.

Looking at the picture, it looks likeit is metal. Squinting it looks like it may have icons on the buttons for lights, horn, etc? After hearing Kaz's comment and looking at the construction, I reckon it's pretty high end, hopefully with soem decent pedals inc clutch and h shifter. I also think it may have 4 paddles and not 2 big ones. I'm so excited for a decent wheel. The g27 or 25 never really tempted me to upgrade my driving force pro.

This was tweeted today about this wheel.

T500RS has splendid possibility. It is the device which release is impatient for. RT @misterpigz: @Kaz_Yamauchi Any updates on the new Thrustmaster T500 RS wheel?

Back