Tuning Guides

• Thread starter Scaff
  • 78 comments

Scaff

United Kingdom
He/Him
ScaffUK
So GT5:P is here with (most) of us now and to a lot of peoples rather pleasant surprise (mine included) the tuning side of things look fairly in-depth, at least as in-depth as GT4 was.

To this end I am aware that a lot of people (new members and old) may be rather unfamiliar with tuning, what the settings mean and how they effect a car.

Now I don't yet have my copy of GT5:P yet, but I have had a good look at all the tuning screens and to get people started here are the two tuning guides I wrote for GT4.

Scaff's Suspension and Brake set-up guide.

GT4 Suspension & Brake Tuning guide - right click and 'save as'

GT4 Downforce, LSD and Gear Ratio Tuning Guide - right click and save as

Both hosted here at GT Planet.

Now not everything will be applicable to GT5:P, but the basic tuning elements and methods will still be sound (as they are based on real world principles they should actually be better with GT5:P) and I will be updating these as soon as I have my copy and spend some time with it.

The files are .pdf format and you will find them very in-depth, so I would advise saving and printing them out (we are talking around 80 odd pages here).

Hope they help

Scaff

Last edited:
thanking you muchly.

I am in Rome and i got a reserved copy from Gamespot. I think it is now released for the general public.

I have been following this series for 10 years, and i have been actively involved in GTR 1 and 2, and GT Legends and RFactor.

I am really happy with the physics and the cockpit view.
being able to adjust setups is a godsend.

cheers
happy driving..the corvette is a gas.

:)

sorry for some reasons I cant seem to save the file (have used right click to save as)

no technical problems there?

thanks

I've just downloaded both of them with no problems at all, just right clicked and took the 'save target as, option.

Give it another go, and see if it works now, don't forget you can always just open them up as a .pdf and then save them to your hard drive.

Regards

Scaff

Now not everything will be applicable to GT5:P, but the basic tuning elements and methods will still be sound (as they are based on real world principles they should actually be better with GT5:P) and I will be updating these as soon as I have my copy and spend some time with it.

Can't wait, your's and M-Spec's guides really helped me out.

When I DL them, and try to open them, I get a message saying the file doesn't exist; it may have been moved or deleted since it has been downloaded.

Any reasons why this is?
EDIT: Just saw a post above saying the same problem. I will try it out to get at it more.

Scaff - I tried and got a similar problem as well.

Keep getting an error message, which translated to English reads something as: "Internet Explorer can't transfer TuningGuide.pdf from web.omnidrive.com - connection to server has terminated abnormally"

Looks good Scaff. I am planning on working on something similar, but focussed on a drifting application, for the Prologue Drifting forum. I was going to run a few ideas past you actually.

We'll be in touch.

Again 👍

;)

got it thanks scaff... by the way, I'm new to all GT games and am progressing through B class... when will the tuning option be unlocked as I cant seem to find it at the moment. Thanks

got it thanks scaff... by the way, I'm new to all GT games and am progressing through B class... when will the tuning option be unlocked as I cant seem to find it at the moment. Thanks

They open up once you finish the A, B & C class events.

Regards

Scaff

BTW - I am looking at alternatives to the problems people are having with downloads.

Guys, What is Max turning angle? What does it due?
In Spec II version, Can I make the G25 setting to less then 900 Degrees? It be great to have it for the F1 car.

They open up once you finish the A, B & C class events.

Regards

Scaff

BTW - I am looking at alternatives to the problems people are having with downloads.

Great news! I'll be sure to check here in the near future.

NoxNoctis Umbra, max turning angle is the maximum angle that the wheels are able to do with they'r straight position.

382673Untitled.jpg

Scaff, can't download it too. Can you please host in on another domain also?
Tks in advance.

NoxNoctis Umbra, max turning angle is the maximum angle that the wheels are able to do with they'r straight position.

382673Untitled.jpg

I still am little confused about that.
In one picture I see an option in GT5P set to 40.. Lets say you make it to 10 or 70 , how the car will react for each?

In one picture I see an option in GT5P set to 40.. Lets say you make it to 10 or 70 , how the car will react for each?

Stare at the diagram long and hard. :dopey:

Lol. Steering angle on 10 will make your car only able to turn a small amount, meaning perhaps you cannot turn your car enough for a sharp hairpin.
Steering angle on 70 means you can drive the car in very small circles because the wheel can turn much more.
10 would not change the locks in your g25, but will make all steering after that 10* angle not register on the car.

That is the maximum wheel angle (one way). What do you think it will happened when your wheel can only have 10deg of turning angle vs 40deg? Its not rocket science.

This is kind of a stupid way to adjust steering ratio, which basically what it does. Due to the lack of the ability for the game to adjust the steering wheel degree, the only way to simulate the "correct" factory steering ratio is to adjust your wheel angle so when applied to the fixed 900 wheel (if you have DFP or G25), it will yield the correct steering ratio

I will use the Acura NSX as an example, which have a steering ratio of 18.6:1

The formula is: (900/2)/18.6 = 24.2 deg

Means, if you are using a steering with a 900 deg lock-to-lock steering angle @ a steering ratio of 18.6:1 the MTA (one way) should be 24.2deg. The problems lies in the QTS only allows you to set the MTA from 30~50, which means you can NEVER simulate the correct steering ratio for all the cars (i.e. the Acura NSX).

Another example would be the Acura RSX with a steering ratio of 15.1:1

The formula is: (900/2)/15.1 = 29.8 deg

So for the RSX, set your MTA to 30deg with a 900 deg steering wheel, it will correctly simulate the real car's steering ratio.

Stare at the diagram long and hard. :dopey:

Lol. Steering angle on 10 will make your car only able to turn a small amount, meaning perhaps you cannot turn your car enough for a sharp hairpin.
Steering angle on 70 means you can drive the car in very small circles because the wheel can turn much more.
10 would not change the locks in your g25, but will make all steering after that 10* angle not register on the car.

That is the maximum wheel angle (one way). What do you think it will happened when your wheel can only have 10deg of turning angle vs 40deg? Its not rocket science.

This is kind of a stupid way to adjust steering ratio, which basically what it does. Due to the lack of the ability for the game to adjust the steering wheel degree, the only way to simulate the "correct" factory steering ratio is to adjust your wheel angle so when applied to the fixed 900 wheel (if you have DFP or G25), it will yield the correct steering ratio

I will use the Acura NSX as an example, which have a steering ratio of 18.6:1

The formula is: (900/2)/18.6 = 24.2 deg

Means, if you are using a steering with a 900 deg lock-to-lock steering angle @ a steering ratio of 18.6:1 the MTA (one way) should be 24.2deg. The problems lies in the QTS only allows you to set the MTA from 30~50, which means you can NEVER simulate the correct steering ratio for all the cars (i.e. the Acura NSX).

Another example would be the Acura RSX with a steering ratio of 15.1:1

The formula is: (900/2)/15.1 = 29.8 deg

So for the RSX, set your MTA to 30deg with a 900 deg steering wheel, it will correctly simulate the real car's steering ratio.

Ahh, THANKS guys, Now I get it. The guy before the explained it the way I did not Understand, I thought It was something like camber angle the way he explained.

So now I see what it is.
By the way, I hear there is still 900 degree of steer for the F1. Any way to fix that to have 180 degree or something similar?
If not, I hope there is a patch for that :indiff:

Scaff has posted a new domain for anyone that has asked to have it changed. Looks great man! Can't wait to receive the game.

Great news for all those who ahave had problem downloading the guides, Jordan has kindly agreed to host them here at GT Planet.

The new links are in the first post, so get downloading.

Regards

Scaff

Enjoy the new GTPlanet hosted files, everyone. They really are a fantastic resource. Thanks again for all your work, Scaff! :)

wow at that theory on MTA.
One more question if I may, if I'm merely using the sixaxis controller; would the MTA still apply to me or its more applicable to the synchronizing of steering wheel?
Thanks

Looks good Scaff. I am planning on working on something similar, but focussed on a drifting application, for the Prologue Drifting forum. I was going to run a few ideas past you actually.

We'll be in touch.

Again 👍

;)

Delphic, I am very interested in learning to drift in gt5p, i'll be sure read it when its out. are you going to post it in this thread or another one?

And thanks Scaff, i have printed out both your books and reading it already.. 80pages worth!

Delphic, I am very interested in learning to drift in gt5p, i'll be sure read it when its out. are you going to post it in this thread or another one?

I will probably post it in the Drift Forum, as it is most applicable there.

;)

Just want to tell you Thanks Scaff for this support. I've downloaded both files and they're so helpfull. They are done on a good english I can understand and those pictures help too.

I'll take so many time to read & understand all, but the part that I've readed is quite usefull. I'll suggest it to a friend at the university too, your work is great.

Back