Tuning Guides

• Thread starter Scaff
  • 78 comments
Huge respect to all you guys who are sharing your tuning expertise. I wish I'd found this forum sooner.

I found it pretty easy to beat the AI with my fumbling setup attempts, but now with the online racing the bar has been raised considerably higher, so I'm really grateful that you're willing to help us tuning novices get the most from our machines.

Happy racing y'all!

Cheers

Scaff, thanks for your guides. One dump question, are all +/- values have the same meanings in GT4 and GT5:P? For example in your guide, - values means Toe-in; + values means Toe-out, are they the same in GT5:P? Are all other tuning values have the same meanings in GT5:P? Sometime I don't feel quite the same effect when I tune my GTR-07 in GT5:P.

Thanks,
Morpheus

Very interestign read (well I only read the first one) and the download worked fine.

In many respects it's a very complicated subject, I've seen F1 teams gain a huge amount of time just by "understanding" the car. If they struggle then so will I! Even for normal cars it can be a bit of a black art.

One thing I've noticed in real life is that changing the suspension/tyres can make a big difference to how the car handles on the limit. In general you can achieve better performance but it tends to mean when the car does let go it gives very little warning.

It also amazes me how much is modelled in GT5P!

Anyway, thanks once again for a good read!

Matt.

I just downloaded and I'm having a read now. Perhaps I'll be able to tame the NSX with these guides.

Thanks alot!

I know this is crazy, but I can't find a tuning section in my copy of GT5:P. I have seen it in a video as an icon next to driving options that looks like a bolt and a wrench. I just can't seem to find it when I actually play the game. Anyone have any ideas?

It becomes available after completing the A spec races,so you can setup your car of choice for the S spec races...you`ll need it as it get`s hard!

I have a question. Other than fuel economy, is there any negative effects of having wider tyres?

Saff
thanks for your tuning set up and info, I finally passed all the s events thanks to your setting

Rick

I have a question. Other than fuel economy, is there any negative effects of having wider tyres?
In the real world?

Less responsive initial turn-in, increased tendency in tram-line (when tyres want to follow imperfections in the road) and a big increase in cost.

Saff
thanks for your tuning set up and info, I finally passed all the s events thanks to your setting

Rick

thank you, now i understand what the LSD is

Thanks guys, glad you found the guides useful.

Regards

Scaff

In the real world?

Less responsive initial turn-in, increased tendency in tram-line (when tyres want to follow imperfections in the road) and a big increase in cost.

Regards

Scaff

Cool, thanks for the (eventual :)) reply. Is it also true it increases the risk of aqua planing?

Cool, thanks for the (eventual :)) reply. Is it also true it increases the risk of aqua planing?

Yes, as the weight per square inch is lowered. If the contact point is widened , then the downforce is distributed in a proportional manner.(I don't know the exact formula, as compounds would change it.)

Say for arguments sake, you had a 185mm tyre and then you put on 370mm, then the downward pressure of two of the 370mm tyres is equal to all four of the 185mm.

Basically you can only go so wide, before the weight distribution overrides the grip level.

The diameter can also be involved in this formula.

This may all be not so relevant in the dry, but in the wet, very relevant.

Thanks Scaff, really nice stuff. Yet I notice that the oversteer and understeer seems to be wrong in the guide. Understeer should be the rear wheels do not track behind the front wheels but instead slide out toward the outside of the turn, and might turn the car into spin. But at the beggining section of "Understeer and Overstreer", it saids the opposite. The rest of the guide seems to be right, not 100% sure tho.

Does front toe have different effects with FWD cars and if it does what are they? Can front toe also be used to cure one wheel spinners in FWD cars?

Thanks Scaff, really nice stuff. Yet I notice that the oversteer and understeer seems to be wrong in the guide. Understeer should be the rear wheels do not track behind the front wheels but instead slide out toward the outside of the turn, and might turn the car into spin. But at the beggining section of "Understeer and Overstreer", it saids the opposite. The rest of the guide seems to be right, not 100% sure tho.
No sorry but you are wrong, the section on Under and Oversteer in the manual is 100% correct and understeer is not ever going to cause the back to break loose nor the car to spin.

Does front toe have different effects with FWD cars and if it does what are they? Can front toe also be used to cure one wheel spinners in FWD cars?

In the real world Front toe can have quite a different effect on FWD cars, as the 'drive' the front wheels get will actually force the tyres to toe-out, as such toe is often used to help compensate for this. I've never found it needed when tuning in GT however.

Toe is also not going to help in regard to 'one-wheel spinners' in FWD cars, good gearing and a well set-up LSD are the best tools to use for those (and good throttle control as well) both in the real world and GT.

Regards

Scaff

In the real world Front toe can have quite a different effect on FWD cars, as the 'drive' the front wheels get will actually force the tyres to toe-out, as such toe is often used to help compensate for this. I've never found it needed when tuning in GT however.

Toe is also not going to help in regard to 'one-wheel spinners' in FWD cars, good gearing and a well set-up LSD are the best tools to use for those (and good throttle control as well) both in the real world and GT.

Regards

Scaff

Thanks for that.👍:)

No sorry but you are wrong, the section on Under and Oversteer in the manual is 100% correct and understeer is not ever going to cause the back to break loose nor the car to spin.

Oh, sorry it was a typo. It should be OVER STEER leads to the rear wheels do not track behind the front wheels but instead slide out toward the outside of the turn, and might turn the car into spin.

I have a second look of the pdf, it is correct. Must been misread it. My apologise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it just me or do the quick tune settings of front and rear suspension have an opposite effect? If I have it right a stiffer rear and or softer front suspension will induce oversteer and the opposite setup for understeer. I'm getting the opposite effect when I do this.:confused:

Is it just me or do the quick tune settings of front and rear suspension have an opposite effect? If I have it right a stiffer rear and or softer front suspension will induce oversteer and the opposite setup for understeer. I'm getting the opposite effect when I do this.:confused:

What are the other setting at, how much are you changing it by, what car is it?

All of these things can have an effect, as an example you can't just soften one end of a car and keep getting an increase in grip at that end, as eventually (in the real world and to a degree in GT) the suspension will bottom out and as soon as it does you go from very soft to very, very , very hard as the suspension has no more travel.

In particular you need to keep an eye on the relationship between dampers, spring rates and ride height.

Giving a few more details on the car, track and setting (before and after) would help a lot.

Regards

Scaff

I was wondering if someone could give a technical explaination as to why increasing font spring rates in relation to rears on GT5:P increases lift-off oversteer. Or is this a glitch not true to the real world? Similarly, increasing rear spring rates in relation to fronts decreases lift-off oversteer, useful for some MR cars.

Lift-off oversteer involves a lot more that just the spring rates and as such can be a very tricky one to set-up.

Keep in mind that lift-off oversteer involves a car with loads moving around to a large degree, as such the speed that load is transfered is critical, so damper setting are just as important as spring rates.

Also as the car is rolling the Anti-roll bars / Stabilisers also have a big role to play, as they are effectively springs that only work during roll.

Personally I always set spring and damper rates to balance the car as a whole and use roll bar setting to handle lift-off oversteer (which is exactly how its done in the real world).

Remember that while cornering, you have to think about the combined spring rate and stabiliser rate at each end, as both are working when laod transfers during cornering, and the damper setting will then need to be factored in regarding how quickly the corner of the car loads and unloads.

Can get a bit tricky this one and you can't get away with just thinking about a single value and on top of all the above you also need to be aware of the static weight distribution of the car and how that will move when load is transfered under cornering.

Regards

Scaff

So then GT5:P has it wrong? Get into a car, say an RX-8. With only springs set to for example 9/2 you'll get lots of lift off oversteer, but at for example 4/5 you'll get barely any.

What are the other setting at, how much are you changing it by, what car is it?

All of these things can have an effect, as an example you can't just soften one end of a car and keep getting an increase in grip at that end, as eventually (in the real world and to a degree in GT) the suspension will bottom out and as soon as it does you go from very soft to very, very , very hard as the suspension has no more travel.

In particular you need to keep an eye on the relationship between dampers, spring rates and ride height.

Giving a few more details on the car, track and setting (before and after) would help a lot.

Regards

Scaff

Ok, for example the corvette zo6 on suzuka.

ride height: -10/-10
spring: 7/2
damper: 5/2

I'm getting a little oversteer from this setting. Not from braking(not using abs) and not from power oversteer.

A somewhat opposite setting like this one is giving me terrible understeer.

spring: 4/8
damper: 3/6

Hope I make better sense now.:)

I will give both these a go tonight guys and see if I can figure out what is going on.

BTW Red, could you let me know what the stabiliser rates are as well.

Regards

Scaff

Ok, for example the corvette zo6 on suzuka.

ride height: -10/-10
spring: 7/2
damper: 5/2

I'm getting a little oversteer from this setting. Not from braking(not using abs) and not from power oversteer.

A somewhat opposite setting like this one is giving me terrible understeer.

spring: 4/8
damper: 3/6

Hope I make better sense now.:)

Hey, I tried these settings on a similar car, rx-7, ford GT and some others. I also tried various ride heights such as 0/0 and +5/+5 to avoid bottoming. It does have opposite effects than it should be.:ouch:

Could anybody explain this??

Back