User contributed Gran Turismo Magazine

• Thread starter Schwadegan
  • 975 comments
I've compiled a short article about the 458 and will include pictures soon. Are .docx files OK?

preview.jpg

This is the very basic article structure I've been working on. I've been trying to keep it clean and manageable for the reader.
However obviously there are things I'm not quite pleased with, such as the header front (for the time being the same as the font in the body) as well as the page numbers which needs some further tweaking.

With that in mind, feel free to take a look at the .pdf here and let mo know your thoughts.

(By the way, the article is purely fictional so if anyone feels like writing it, go ahead!)

Well Damn. i got owned.
I'll send over the pictures and text tommorow. Now that i think about it my article sucks.

Hi! I've been closely following this thread and in full support ever since it was posted. First off, let me introduce myself, Im an avid GT fan and 31yo Art Director for a magazine. Upon reading this thread I was very excited about the concept to the point that I am currently laying out an article about my beloved Amuse S2000. A couple of suggestions though apart from the ones mentioned already (forgive me as I dont wanna sound too nitpicky):

- We should have a basic style guide set for the whole magazine. For example a nice, clean and bold font like Helvetica or Impact for headlines, a serif style font for standfirsts (sub-headline) and the body like Times New Roman, Palatino etc... Doesnt have to this specific though, different magazines have different styles but distinct to their own upon first glance (Time, Stuff etc...) Really depends on the image were trying to convey and since its about cars we have tons of options. Sleek and classy (Arial Narrow is a good choice) or Contemporary. Sky's the limit!

- Aside from article ideas already mentioned. We could fit in photo essays fellow players can easily contribute about their favorite cars/tracks with minimal text. Focus is more on the stunning shots than story. A photographers perspective kinda thing.

Thats it for now. I am more than willing to help out in any way and will upload my layout in a day or so (Im currently on deadline and busy at the moment). Cheers!

PS: The Green Heaven layout is spot on!

Well Damn. i got owned.
I'll send over the pictures and text tommorow. Now that i think about it my article sucks.
Hey, don't feel bad :) give the article some more time and love and I'm sure you'll be satisfied with it.

Hi! I've been closely following this thread and in full support ever since it was posted. First off, let me introduce myself, Im an avid GT fan and 31yo Art Director for a magazine. Upon reading this thread I was very excited about the concept to the point that I am currently laying out an article about my beloved Amuse S2000. A couple of suggestions though apart from the ones mentioned already (forgive me as I dont wanna sound too nitpicky):

- We should have a basic style guide set for the whole magazine. For example a nice, clean and bold font like Helvetica or Impact for headlines, a serif style font for standfirsts (sub-headline) and the body like Times New Roman, Palatino etc... Doesnt have to this specific though, different magazines have different styles but distinct to their own upon first glance (Time, Stuff etc...) Really depends on the image were trying to convey and since its about cars we have tons of options. Sleek and classy (Arial Narrow is a good choice) or Contemporary. Sky's the limit!

- Aside from article ideas already mentioned. We could fit in photo essays fellow players can easily contribute about their favorite cars/tracks with minimal text. Focus is more on the stunning shots than story. A photographers perspective kinda thing.

Thats it for now. I am more than willing to help out in any way and will upload my layout in a day or so (Im currently on deadline and busy at the moment). Cheers!

Hi there! May I ask what magazine you're working with? I myself is a student at a digital image production school so you might see my interest :)

Regarding the basic layout and design I'm working on that as we speak.
I'm currently using fonts that are licensed for commercial work at no cost from fontsquirrel.com, and intend to keep it that way (not necessarily that source though).

I assume you work in inDesign when designing your own layout for your article, so maybe you could send me a print or sample when you feel like it.
That way I'll be able to see if there are any parts of your work I can incorporate into the magazine.

Sounds awesome, I'm almost tempted to make something myself...

Do it man, let Bob do the driving while you type an awesome article!

Hope I'm not stepping on toes by saying this, but Schwadegan did say it, in different words, earlier: there's nothing wrong with being nit-picky, it's better than being vague!

Agreed about a serif font; when creating my layout I noticed all magazines I looked at used it for their body. For typography use I tend to use sans-serif a lot for projects, as my personal style leans towards minimalism, but serif fonts produce a crisper, easier-to-read column for things like this.

The Photomode sub-forum is brimming with quality, so I'm sure drumming up interest there would be simple đź‘Ť

Thanks! Like I said though, minimal thought needed for that layout, since I borrowed many features from the pages of Evo to get the feel right. Gill Sans is an excellent sans-serif type in that example, and the body text (and main title, and quotes) was Times. Not New Roman, though ;).

preview.jpg

This is the very basic article structure I've been working on. I've been trying to keep it clean and manageable for the reader.
However obviously there are things I'm not quite pleased with, such as the header front (for the time being the same as the font in the body) as well as the page numbers which needs some further tweaking.

Mmm, clean. I like đź‘Ť

What I think might be tripping you up about the header is its lack of weight. It doesn't feel substantial enough to be a page mainstay. A different font from the body would help (my choice would be turning the body serif), but the other thing that might be doing it is the capitalization. Have you tried using all caps for the header? The article title may benefit from this as well, or at the very least, capitalization of every letter.

I like the cream border a lot! Especially how the images bleed over it but the text stays contained. The block quote has some alignment and padding issues, but I know you said further tweaking will happen. I like the page numbers; they're simple, legible, and with an enclosing box, can be kept uniform on every page đź‘Ť

Lastly, I like how you've done the tag-line for the writer and photographer info. Simple and clean!

I like the cream border a lot! Especially how the images bleed over it but the text stays contained. The block quote has some alignment and padding issues, but I know you said further tweaking will happen. I like the page numbers; they're simple, legible, and with an enclosing box, can be kept uniform on every page đź‘Ť

Lastly, I like how you've done the tag-line for the writer and photographer info. Simple and clean!

Thanks for the input mate! I'll work on improving the layout tonight.

Schwadegan, I would love doing this! About how long should it be>
My idea is an article "Back through the future" where i drive all Street Corvettes stock '54-'09 and write a progressive 1 part article. Does this sound like a good idea?

Schwadegan, I would love doing this! About how long should it be>
My idea is an article "Back through the future" where i drive all Street Corvettes stock '54-'09 and write a progressive 1 part article. Does this sound like a good idea?

I'd read it. đź‘Ť
You decide the length, a little less than four pages of normal sized text is probably going to cover about two pages excluding images (I think....), don't know exactly for now since the fonts aren't decided yet.

I'd read it. đź‘Ť
You decide the length, a little less than four pages of normal sized text is probably going to cover about two pages excluding images (I think....), don't know exactly for now since the fonts aren't decided yet.

One last question- Should I do the Art Morrison Corvette '60 as well? Its a nice car, and its not a race car, but it is still heavily tuned. What should I do?
also, heres all the cars im planning on doing so far-

S Chevrolet Corvette C5-R (C5) ‘00
S Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (C1) ‘54
S Chevrolet Corvette Coupe (C2) ‘63 S
Chevrolet Corvette GRAND SPORT (C4) ‘96
P Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Convertible (C3) ‘69
S Chevrolet Corvette Stingray L46 350 (C3) ‘69
S Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C5) ‘00
P Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C5) ‘04
P Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C6) ‘06
S Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 (C4) ‘90
P/S Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 (C6) ‘09

Well, just a suggestion, as I think it would help with the cleanliness and style of the magazine, would be to have a team of writers who write regularly for the magazine, and then also random user-sent content. Having different people write different articles of their choosing is great in the fact that it's fair and everyone gets a turn, but I think it would giver the magazine more of a professional feel if there was a staff of writers and photographers who submitted every issue.

I mean, how will it work out when you have 5 users submit reviews for the same car, and all have different opinions. That would just be downright confusing and readers would come away from reading it more confused about whether it's a good car or not then they were before.

My idea would be to have a staff of writer and photographers, chosen by some sort of tryout or audition (better word there?) who submit a certain subject matter every issue. Than, if a writer was doing a car review, but the certain writer wasn't skilled in photography, he could PM one of the staff photographers and ask for some photos. The article along with the photos would then be sent to Schwadegan just as normal.

Along with this could be the normal system, and have the other part of the magazine be random articles sent in by people who weren't on the staff.

Anyway, just an idea. I believe it would make the magazine quite a bit more professional and more enjoyable to read than just a random collection of articles.

@Goshin: To be fair, this project may never get started if we would decide to go that route initially. Getting volunteer work is simply a better choice for the initial product, and we could consider a more fleshed-out team later. What we're doing right now is perfectly fine given what stage the mag is at.

One last question- Should I do the Art Morrison Corvette '60 as well? Its a nice car, and its not a race car, but it is still heavily tuned. What should I do?
also, heres all the cars im planning on doing so far-

S Chevrolet Corvette C5-R (C5) ‘00
S Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (C1) ‘54
S Chevrolet Corvette Coupe (C2) ‘63 S
Chevrolet Corvette GRAND SPORT (C4) ‘96
P Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Convertible (C3) ‘69
S Chevrolet Corvette Stingray L46 350 (C3) ‘69
S Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C5) ‘00
P Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C5) ‘04
P Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C6) ‘06
S Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 (C4) ‘90
P/S Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 (C6) ‘09

That's your decision, but I say the more the merrier.

Well, just a suggestion, as I think it would help with the cleanliness and style of the magazine, would be to have a team of writers who write regularly for the magazine, and then also random user-sent content. Having different people write different articles of their choosing is great in the fact that it's fair and everyone gets a turn, but I think it would giver the magazine more of a professional feel if there was a staff of writers and photographers who submitted every issue.

I mean, how will it work out when you have 5 users submit reviews for the same car, and all have different opinions. That would just be downright confusing and readers would come away from reading it more confused about whether it's a good car or not then they were before.

My idea would be to have a staff of writer and photographers, chosen by some sort of tryout or audition (better word there?) who submit a certain subject matter every issue. Than, if a writer was doing a car review, but the certain writer wasn't skilled in photography, he could PM one of the staff photographers and ask for some photos. The article along with the photos would then be sent to Schwadegan just as normal.

Along with this could be the normal system, and have the other part of the magazine be random articles sent in by people who weren't on the staff.

Anyway, just an idea. I believe it would make the magazine quite a bit more professional and more enjoyable to read than just a random collection of articles.

You have a point, however for this first magazines will have to set the tone so we know what will work and not.
And AV Vector made a good point as well;
@Goshin: To be fair, this project may never get started if we would decide to go that route initially. Getting volunteer work is simply a better choice for the initial product, and we could consider a more fleshed-out team later. What we're doing right now is perfectly fine given what stage the mag is at.

If OP enjoys my article, I would love to go long term

OP < The community ;)

Okay, I've finalized my plan for Portraits.

4-page, each page with a large photo in the top half. First page has an inset in the lower half with course data, type of race, and car data for the player. Every page afterwards holds a brief caption for each photo (same with first page). I'll do those myself, as there needs to be a balance between what the caption tells the reader and what the photo can by itself. Don't know when I'll be able to get the race photos and captions ready, as I'm busy, but this week is a good possibility.

Sounds good.
I'd love to write fairly regularly. I'll add the photos to my very short first article and get it in to you.

So since the last time I posted a draft of the design in progress I've reviewed the feedback and been looking quite hard for some new good fonts.
Even better, the first article submitted by you guys came in earlier this evening! It was Bernard who sent me his article about Drag racing in GT5, naturally I've been using this article as my sample when working further on the design. I've asked Bernard and he is kind enough to share this article in advance just so you'll be able to comment and share your thoughts about my work. đź‘Ť

preview2.jpg

The thing that bothers me the most at the moment are the captures beneth the images. I'm going to solve that somehow, suggestions appreciated! :)

.pdf viewable here.

New since the last time;
  • Updated fonts for better readability (they generally look better too in my opinion).
  • Inline images in text.
  • Different quote style.
  • Color-coded ribbon in the top (red here, other color depending on type of
  • article perhaps?).
  • Maybe something else I've forgotten about ;)

Maybe you should make a template with just the border, ribbon and a few text boxes with the correct fonts inserted and make it available for download?

Wow...I'm going to have to do this :D.

Great idea too. Maybe we could get a used car section in the back? Users could submit trades in, like "Looking for new or used Camaro SS '10, willing to trade a 370Z with blah blah blah. Contact *PSN ID* for details or offers."

Maybe you should make a template with just the border, ribbon and a few text boxes with the correct fonts inserted and make it available for download?
I could see how this would be fun for the people writing the articles, but it would be an utter chore for the person to assemble them all into one unite magazine. Besides, all pages won't look like this - far from it.

Kinda wondering where you guys are getting these templates from o.O
What template do you mean?

Wow...I'm going to have to do this :D.

Great idea too. Maybe we could get a used car section in the back? Users could submit trades in, like "Looking for new or used Camaro SS '10, willing to trade a 370Z with blah blah blah. Contact *PSN ID* for details or offers."
Personally I thing business like this is better suited for the gtpforum itself, since it requires rather fast deals to be made. I don't think anyone wants to sit around and wait for ~2 months for someone to answer an ad for a car trade? What say you other people?

Guys: VERY IMPORTANT MESSAGE

We must create a Gran Turismo Magazine Group to better organize ourselves, in this forum we have too little "USEFUL" posts and some posts don't even matter to this subject. If we wish to suceed, then we must unite and create a group!

Guys: VERY IMPORTANT MESSAGE

We must create a Gran Turismo Magazine Group to better organize ourselves, in this forum we have too little "USEFUL" posts and some posts don't even matter to this subject. If we wish to suceed, then we must unite and create a group!

I'll take a look at that tomorrow, time to get some sleep now.

Back