Wallbanger's Ring Masters Challenge (7/21/11, new challenge 10/17/11)

So what model year is a '69 Challenger if I buy it and modify it today?
:lol: It's a '69. If you read the description of the so called Buick Special you'll see that other than the body panels its a totally new car that shares nothing with an original Buick.

:lol: It's a '69. If you read the description of the so called Buick Special you'll see that other than the body panels its a totally new car that shares nothing with an original Buick.
Well, I guess if you want to look at it that way, we'd have to start dis-considering a lot of rebuilt and custom cars.
It's a modified 1962 if I'm not mistaken, which makes it a 1962. ;)

Well, I guess if you want to look at it that way, we'd have to start dis-considering a lot of rebuilt and custom cars.
It's a modified 1962 if I'm not mistaken, which makes it a 1962. ;)
If you consider replacing the frame with a custom race frame, manufacturing one of a kind suspension, replacing the entire drivetrain to include a 9 inch Ford rearend and installing a new and much larger engine that has all custom mechanicals including special aluminum race ported heads a simple modification then yeah it might be considered a '62. Like I said before the only thing left of the original car is a few body panels. It's a great car but because of what it is doesn't meet the criteria set for the classic car challenge. I suppose if it makes you feel better you can place it in the same category as a RMed car.:D

On an interesting side note there is/was a company a few years ago that made a licensing agreement with GM and using original specifications and some of the original dies started building new '69 Camaros complete with serial numbers. Even though they were manufactured 40 years after Chevy quit building that model they are considered original '69 Camaros and are registered and insured as such. Needless to say collectors were not happy about this. The company was working to get the licenses and dies to start building mustang and a couple other classic musclecars. Not sure where they are now, or if they're even still in business.

On an interesting side note there is/was a company a few years ago that made a licensing agreement with GM and using original specifications and some of the original dies started building new '69 Camaros complete with serial numbers. Even though they were manufactured 40 years after Chevy quit building that model they are considered original '69 Camaros and are registered and insured as such. Needless to say collectors were not happy about this. The company was working to get the licenses and dies to start building mustang and a couple other classic musclecars. Not sure where they are now, or if they're even still in business.
Now see that could not be an actual 69, as it wasn't built then.
It's called a "replica", even if exact. I'd guess they're out of business considering emission law changes, but who knows.

My point about the Buick is it's a "tuner" car, yes, but calling it a 2002 because that's when it was altered seems ridiculous to me.
If it were disqualified for being a tuner car, so be it. ;)

It's called a "replica", even if exact. I'd guess they're out of business considering emission law changes, but who knows.

My point about the Buick is it's a "tuner" car, yes, but calling it a 2002 because that's when it was altered seems ridiculous to me.
No that was the weird thing. Somehow because of the way they were built and the factory serial numbers/parts numbers they weren't considered replicas by anyone including the federal government, insurance companies and GM. Which was why collectors were ticked off. Who's going to spend big money for a forty year old car when for half as much or less you can buy a brand new one with 0 miles.

I had high hopes for my EXA CANOPY L.A.Version Type S '88 on the FF challenge but I haven't managed a clean lap yet. Is it a coupe? Is it a wagon? All I know is that it's 1.6 liters of direct injected awesome.

I had high hopes for my EXA CANOPY L.A.Version Type S '88 on the FF challenge but I haven't managed a clean lap yet. Is it a coupe? Is it a wagon? All I know is that it's 1.6 liters of direct injected awesome.
Loved the cars when they were new. Hate that PD chose to model them in the wagon configuration. Would have liked to see them in the game with the T-top coupe configuration which was how most of them were sold originally I believe. If I remember right you had to pay extra for the additional body panels for the various configurations.

Loved the cars when they were new. Hate that PD chose to model them in the wagon configuration. Would have liked to see them in the game with the T-top coupe configuration which was how most of them were sold originally I believe. If I remember right you had to pay extra for the additional body panels for the various configurations.

When I was in Okinawa, my girlfriend at the time drove a mid nineties Pulsar. So this car brings back the memories :) I had an AE-101 Levin with a supercharger after wrecking a very fun GTS-t.

This sounds like an interesting challenge, though I'll likely never do it. Has anyone attempted a Cobra lap? Stock it can do 190MPH with a FC transmission. :)

No that was the weird thing. Somehow because of the way they were built and the factory serial numbers/parts numbers they weren't considered replicas by anyone including the federal government, insurance companies and GM. Which was why collectors were ticked off. Who's going to spend big money for a forty year old car when for half as much or less you can buy a brand new one with 0 miles.
And you're telling me a highly altered actual 62 model car doesn't count as a 62? :lol:
I couldn't find a list of states it's worked in for them, I noticed they specified they "can check with state laws and regulations" for you.
So I assume, knowing America, less advanced states, (low population and/or southern) still have an old fashioned system.
I can't say it's certain, but I know the differences between state laws are incredible.
Prime example, my county in Pennsylvania only requires visual yearly inspection, in my brothers county, (also in PA) they require a visual and emissions test.:irked:
In Florida, guys (not cops, but someone who can give you a citation) drive around looking for cars that are unsafe, but no inspections of any kind are required.
In Kansas, only a tire check is required, and I believe it's every six months there.
And in Oregon :sly: I think, it's illegal to drive down a street at night without a lantern attached to the front of your vehicle. 💡
And finally, in THREE states, death by firing squad is still a legal course of action.:scared: (no they don't do it, presumably to avoid the fiery hell of 47 states saying 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
:D
Carry on.

Last edited:
CSLACR

It wasn't just "altered" it's not even built on a Buick Chassis. It's basically a ground up complete one off. Chassis is extensive all modern tech. The car is built on a "Art Morrison" set of Frame Rails.

237fc87a.jpg

Not much under the skin that's from 62 ;)

Last edited:
And you're telling me a highly altered actual 62 model car doesn't count as a 62? :lol:
I couldn't find a list of states it's worked in for them, I noticed they specified they "can check with state laws and regulations" for you.
So I assume, knowing America, less advanced states, (low population and/or southern) still have an old fashioned system.
I can't say it's certain, but I know the differences between state laws are incredible.
Prime example, my county in Pennsylvania only requires visual yearly inspection, in my brothers county, (also in PA) they require a visual and emissions test.:irked:
In Florida, guys (not cops, but someone who can give you a citation) drive around looking for cars that are unsafe, but no inspections of any kind are required.
In Kansas, only a tire check is required, and I believe it's every six months there.
And in Oregon :sly: I think, it's illegal to drive down a street at night without a lantern attacked to the front of your vehicle. 💡
And finally, in THREE states, death by firing squad is still a legal course of action.:scared: (no they don't do it, presumably to avoid the fiery hell of 47 states saying 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
:D
Carry on.
Yes you have to love the variety in state laws. Makes things very interesting with cars and registering them.

As for lanterns on fronts of cars I believe your refering to a Portland City ordinance that required someone to be 100 feet ahead of motorized vehicles at night with a lantern to warn, what was when passed into law primarily horse traffic, of the noisy mechanical contraption coming towards them. Not sure it was ever heavily enforced and like many odd and/or outdated laws was never removed from the books.
Can't remember the title but there's a book written by a couple of English blokes about their U.S. crime spree. They came to the U.S. on vacation with the intent of breaking some obscure law in every state visited. One law they broke was in some southwestern state where a town had a large round-about or traffic circle in the middle of town with a law making it illegal to drive around it more than 99 times. Several hours after starting they completed the 100th lap.

Oh and Go Steelers! (If your from the other end of PA I'm sorry:lol:)

P.S. I'll take death by firing squad over hanging which several states also still carry on the books.:D

Dahiatsu Copen detachable top '02, 6 kg less than Active top ,but faster than 6 kg can represent. Same settings for both so i'll not publish again.

Madame CSLACR , i go with you under 20" one of this day !!! another day !!

detachable.jpg

Dahiatsu Copen detachable top '02, 6 kg less than Active top ,but faster than 6 kg can represent. Same settings for both so i'll not publish again.

Madame CSLACR , i go with you under 20" one of this day !!! another day !!

detachable.jpg

Hello ..... Nobody there to update the front page :) ???? It's not over,there is a new laptime... i want to reach my friend madame CSLACR, getting closer...
Thanks.

EDIT : SORRY , didn't see today, last time it wasn't sorry.

Hello ..... Nobody there to update the front page :) ???? It's not over,there is a new laptime... i want to reach my friend madame CSLACR, getting closer...
Thanks.

EDIT : SORRY , didn't see today, last time it wasn't sorry.
No problem amigo I believe I did update the OP. Looking forward to you getting the low time.👍👍

Notice New Challenge Added
D) Any car with 100HP or less able to beat a time of 8:00.000 (Special rule! A tune for the car used must be presented along with the picture of the time so HP can be verified.)

Last edited:
I did it in a Lotus Elise'96.

After 2 hours and countless restarts and attempts. No problems getting under 8.10, but those last 10sec's are tough.

when documenting it, i saw that the hp has gone up to 102hp..(brand new car)

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFck

Still, i now know its doable.

transmission: 220kph
racing softs
15mm lower susp
stiffer damper (+3 front and rear)
(this tune is simple and good)

Pretty much "perfect" in my eyes, but some GT5-god could prob shave off 2-3 seconds.

Looks like I have a new goal for the Cappuccino... 34hp less shouldn't cost it more than 15sec... :D

No problem amigo I believe I did update the OP. Looking forward to you getting the low time.👍👍

Notice New Challenge Added
D) Any car with 100HP or less able to beat a time of 8:00.000 (Special rule! A tune for the car used must be presented along with the picture of the time so HP can be verified.)

I think we have reach the limit... 4 events , 4 players that have post their times and tunes. 2 of them i'm alone :indiff:
I'm shure that a lot of people love to drive the ring, this is the most exiting and challenging track ..... So why just a few people like this??????

Sorry guys, the course is just kicking my butt. I spend almost no time here and don't know it well enough to even get close. I've tried some of the shared cars you have and still way off the pace. :yuck:

I think we have reach the limit... 4 events , 4 players that have post their times and tunes. 2 of them i'm alone :indiff:
I'm shure that a lot of people love to drive the ring, this is the most exiting and challenging track ..... So why just a few people like this??????
I believe part of the lack of people is because of the 525 European Shootout and part of it is a lack of awareness that its here. Hopefully we'll see a pick up between shootouts and I'm still hopeful that Jordan and the Moderators will see fit to set up a Contest sub forum here in the tuning forum.

The thing about a Contest sub-forum is that it very nearly creates an extra sub-forum where the Spot Races sub-forum can be used. I realize these contests are set up differently than a straight spot race, but there are similarities (and nothing some clearly laid-out first-post rules couldn't establish, something you guys can already do quite well :) ).

That said, it's been brought up with the rest of the staff, so you'll hear about it one way or another!

The thing about a Contest sub-forum is that it very nearly creates an extra sub-forum where the Spot Races sub-forum can be used. I realize these contests are set up differently than a straight spot race, but there are similarities (and nothing some clearly laid-out first-post rules couldn't establish, something you guys can already do quite well :) ).

That said, it's been brought up with the rest of the staff, so you'll hear about it one way or another!
Thanks for the feedback and appreciate the information.
Must admit I only check out a couple of the other forums on a regular basis so I can't say I keep up on everything GTPlanet has to offer.

Really appreciate everything you moderators do to keep this such a great place.👍👍

Right! I have a new Kei car tune and I'm gonna try my best to set a decent lap time...I've got the secret car to handle better than my Cervo and it has a lovely flat torque curve too :D

Decided to test drive a Honda S800 RSC Race Car '68 I just got at Nürburgring and see if I could beat the category D time. Very nice easy driving car but 9:18.xxx leaves me thinking its a no go with this car.

7:47.4xx
So instead I'm going to try a regular '00 Elise and see what that gets me. :D
If your interested I have a couple cars for you to try the category D challenge with. One should be an easy win if you can get it under control. The other might be a stretch.:D

Just posted the following new challenge to the OP:

E) Any road car able to beat a time of 6:00.000 (Special rules; No race cars, race modified cars, or cars with adjustable front aero downforce that can go higher than 20. Tuner cars are allowed provided they are classified as road cars and not custom competition cars and don't have adjustable front aero downforce that can go over 20.)

Good luck everyone:D:tup:👍

Remember
As Harvey Wallbang always says...
Drive hard and have fun!:cheers::gtpflag:

Back